A Blister in Time(References and Sight Gags Thread)

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I felt like a champion for noticing the Banang in its half-second of screen time.
  • edited March 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Absolutely! Immediately thought of it when I came across poor Biff.

For anyone who happens to be unfamiliar with A Clockwork Orange, here's the IMDB intro: "In future Britain, charismatic delinquent Alex DeLarge is jailed and volunteers for an experimental aversion therapy developed by the government in an effort to solve society's crime problem... but not all goes to plan."
    Hell, the last shot of the episode(the part in the monitor) is completely ripped out of that movie. ENDING SPOILERS..
  • edited March 2011
    Did you all see the peanut brittle next to George while hes looking at the monitors? I was dying.
  • edited March 2011
    I mentioned this in the review thread, but the fact that they referenced In-N-Out Burger made me way happier than it should have.

And hungrier.
  • edited March 2011
    I laughed more at Marty's first line seeing George.
    He's a peeping tom!
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah, I got a kick out of that to.
  • edited March 2011
    I felt like a champion for noticing the Banang in its half-second of screen time.

When was that?
  • edited March 2011
    When was that?

A bottle of Banang is seen briefly when Marty jumps into the decycling bin and falls into the trash container.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Man there's so many other references and sight gags you guys haven't found yet. Keep hunting!
  • edited March 2011
    ILoveDoc wrote: »
    Did you all see the peanut brittle next to George while hes looking at the monitors? I was dying.

"Hey McFly, my little girl's selling peanut brittle for the team. It's five bucks a box, I'm putting you down for a case. Okay?"

*George starts shaking his head, then defeated:* "...Okay..."

"Terrific, I'll go get it. See honey, I told you we'd only have to go to one house."
  • edited March 2011
    When you ask about David and Linda, George says that David is working for the big city newspaper and Linda's still at the women's boarding house.

Marc McClure (David McFly) had a role in Superman as Jimmy Olson, a cub reporter/photographer at The Daily Planet.

Wendie Jo Sperber (Linda McFly) had a role in the show Bosom Buddies; a television show about two men who disguised themselves as women to live in the women-only Susan B. Anthony Hotel.

Very clever reference.
  • edited March 2011
    Does the common Star Wars/Indiana Jones "I've got a (really) bad feeling about this" line count as a reference?

I loved the intercom Star Wars reference, too.
  • edited March 2011
    If you use the guitar on Citizen Brown, Marty will sing a bit of Huey Lewis and the news song back in time from the first movie.
  • edited March 2011
    Was the following mentioned yet:
    Citizen Kane clap, done by Jenifer, in the beginning of the game when you're in the billboard.

Biff doing the "FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--" thing, complete with the face.
  • edited March 2011
    When you're at Marty's house on episode 3, there's a sound clip coming from the monitors at one point where you can here someone talking to Edna, who interrupts her, saying "please call me Mrs. Citizen Brown. It's just - I worked so hard to get that title."

This is a word for word copy of Senator Barbara Boxer's little outburst when a general called her "ma'm" instead of Senator.

The video can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CprVYsG0k

Did anyone else notice this, and do you think this was an intentional little joke by the developers or just a coincidence?
  • edited March 2011
    Christmas Story:

4hn2al.jpg

More of an outright shout out than a reference, but whatever:

8jCBvl.jpg

I thought this might be a Star Wars reference, but none of the characters say this or an equivalent before the trash compactor sequence, so I don't know. I could just be drawing comparisons to generic lines that simply aren't backed up by anything at this point:

xAq2Ql.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    I don't know that quote but with this game I'd say pretty much anything's intentional... similarly unrelated to BttF: When Marty looks at the BB guns on the shelves (after taking out Biff), he says "Marty, you'll shoot your eyes out." Clearly a reference to "A Christmas Story" if you ask me.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah also at his house, Marty hits the intercom and says "Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" Which of course is a Han Solo quote from Star Wars.
  • edited March 2011
    I know they, (once again) used another line from Star Wars. The 2nd time you use the Squak Box next to the statue in the Town Square, Marty will say, "Uh, yeah, we're fine, we're all fine now, here, now, thank you. How are you?" That is the same line Han Solo said in the Prison Room intercom when they freed the princess.

(Oh, looks like someone beat me to it...)
  • edited March 2011
    Kinda late to the thread, but apparently Carl Sagan was a HUGE fan of Back to the Future, and he said it was pretty close to his own theories about time travel.
  • edited March 2011
    I thought this might be a Star Wars reference, but none of the characters say this or an equivalent before the trash compactor sequence, so I don't know. I could just be drawing comparisons to generic lines that simply aren't backed up by anything at this point:

xAq2Ql.jpg

Han Solo says, "I got a bad feeling about this," right before the walls start closing in.
  • edited March 2011
    LOL what?
  • edited March 2011
    In the background on the "Brown Industries" building there is a 1.21 gigawatt poster.
  • edited March 2011
    No, it doesn't have 1.21 anywhere on it, and the pun is to see GigaWHAT's Available.
  • edited April 2011
    If you keep clicking on the floppy disks in the McFly garage, Marty says, "'Game Grid'. Cool, but the movie was better."
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    I'm guessing the X:11 control mode on Biff's watch is a reference to the X window system, a client/server model and network protocol where the X server provides input/output to client programs that may be located on remote machines. Which would mean that Edna is a gigantic computer nerd.

And when you're talking to Jennifer about guitar stuff, Marty says: "Leech might think he's got chops, but I invented rock n' roll." Totally true, given the events of the first movie. :p
  • edited April 2011
    I noticed that if you make Marty go through the records in the old speakeasy he leaves a record on top thats called HEAVY.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2487&stc=1&d=1302208883
  • edited April 2011
    Did anyone catch all these? I know there was a thread about this for episode 3. But I'll start one here.

When Marty is trying to escape in disguise in the beginning he asks Jennifer how he looks, and she replies "A little short for a storm trooper, but it'll do" Nice Star Wars reference ;)
  • edited April 2011
    The volcano exhibit (hill valley past).
    Marty says some thing about him and doc flying by dinosaurs.
    It is a reference to the BTTF ride.
  • edited April 2011
    Hituro wrote: »
    Did anyone catch all these? I know there was a thread about this for episode 3. But I'll start one here.

When Marty is trying to escape in disguise in the beginning he asks Jennifer how he looks, and she replies "A little short for a storm trooper, but it'll do" Nice Star Wars reference ;)

Not sure if it was in the other episodes, but in 1931, there is a poster named SHARK. A semi-hint to Jaws perhaps?
  • edited April 2011
    I was amused at the lawyer-friendly name for "Tab", myself.
  • edited April 2011
    Room 101. Obviously another 1984 reference.
  • edited April 2011
    Not sure if it was in the other episodes, but in 1931, there is a poster named SHARK. A semi-hint to Jaws perhaps?

Or perhaps a reference to BTTF 2 future scene where the cinema is showing Shark (some ridiculously high number) aka the scene with the big holographic shark.
  • Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Or perhaps a reference to BTTF 2 future scene where the cinema is showing Shark (some ridiculously high number) aka the scene with the big holographic shark.

it is showing jaws 19
  • edited April 2011
    it is showing jaws 19

The shark STILL looks fake.
  • edited April 2011
    There was another Star Wars reference somewhere...I can't remember it now though...
  • edited April 2011
    There's also a DeSoto mention.
  • edited April 2011
    My personal favorite is the Peabody Farm's Apple Box in Emmett's Lab.
  • edited April 2011
    brook123 wrote: »
    My personal favorite is the Peabody Farm's Apple Box in Emmett's Lab.

Yeah that was the best. :p
  • edited April 2011
    When looking at that volcano exhibit Marty does mention a Tannensaurus, I believe thats a reference to an episode of BTTF the animated series where one of the T-Rexes looked like Biff.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.