Back to the Future Mac Os Problem! (2 solutions inside)

Hello!

I downloaded the application from the site, English version for MAC, but when I launch It, this is what i see

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8339/schermata20101223a13194.png

there are no texts, no links, nothing that I can interact with...:confused:

Anyone with the same problem?? Thank You very much!! :o

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I still can't load it either, I get the same screen. It's now 8am EST on the 23rd, WTF
  • edited December 2010
    same problem for me.
  • edited December 2010
    it's unbelievable how many people have problem with this game... I paid for It, and I want to play!!
  • edited December 2010
    Well, I see the menu, but when I click "PLAY", the application just quits.
    No crash report, no error message, no nothing.
  • edited December 2010
    q305 wrote: »
    Well, I see the menu, but when I click "PLAY", the application just quits.
    No crash report, no error message, no nothing.

same problem here
  • edited December 2010
    I was having the same problem. I took the advice of another poster and removed the spaces from the file name and it worked for me. I shortened the file name to "BackToTheFuture101" and it works fine.
    Matt
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe try running the game under an admin account. Thant's what I had to do to get it working.
  • edited December 2010
    Will it make a difference if I add "same here"? :( And yes, I did change the name, and yes, I am an admin on my machine.
  • edited December 2010
    This makes me unhappy :(
  • edited December 2010
    put wifi off..
  • edited December 2010
    @Jelo: Strangely enough, that did it. Thanks a bunch!
  • edited December 2010
    mdaday wrote: »
    I was having the same problem. I took the advice of another poster and removed the spaces from the file name and it worked for me. I shortened the file name to "BackToTheFuture101" and it works fine.
    Matt

This solved the problem for me, thanks! :D
  • edited December 2010
    put wifi off..

Uah! With WiFi off It works! But It doesn't ask me the Serial Number, or to Connect with my Telltale Login.. uhm... It's strange...
  • edited December 2010
    I'm shocked back to the future worked on my iMac i have a 1.83ghz intel core duo and 1.5gbs of ram and a radeonx1600 128mbs..good job telltale.
  • edited December 2010
    I tried both renaming the game to BackToTheFuture01 and get off the wifi but i still can't play the game!
    When i rename the game i get the same problem as the non renamed game (i click Play and everything closes), when i get off the wifi it just doesn't let me click Play...any other suggestion?

EDIT: Ok, i have resolved it, the solution is:
    I downloaded the game from my game list (i previously downloaded it from the popup on homepage) and everything worked, without turning off wifi or renaming the game. The non-working version has "DRM" in the file name.
  • edited December 2010
    I just downloaded the game twice on my mac. The first time the BacktotheFuture101 app logo was just the generic App icon with a cross over it [like the ghostbusters sign...sorry...] after downloading again it was the proper icon [marty] but it won't launch. A Double click seems to launch the game [the mac zoom effect] but nothing starts...

I downloaded it from 'Your Games' as well.
  • edited December 2010
    EDIT: Ok, i have resolved it, the solution is:
    I downloaded the game from my game list (i previously downloaded it from the popup on homepage) and everything worked, without turning off wifi or renaming the game. The non-working version has "DRM" in the file name.
    Thanks. Had the same issue. The downloaded file was bttf_101_setup.app.zip and unpacked was "BackToTheFuture101 DRM 15.05"

The whole Mac experience is sloppy. Wrong file getting downloaded, zip instead of dmg, app package named BackToTheFuture101 instead of the proper application name... Unbelievable.
  • edited December 2010
    and still NO WORD from telltale... fabulous.
  • edited December 2010
    I have the same problem as the image in the first post, pieces missing from the launcher / no way to log in. First I tried re-downloading, then I tried a different zip extractor, both didn't help. Renaming the file also didn't help.

Since I'm on a Mac Pro desktop machine, there's no Wifi to turn off. I'm the only user on my machine, and my account is the administrator. So I don't see why it would be a permission issue.

Anyway, I found that if I launch the application from the command line as sudo, it will work. This is ridiculous and shouldn't be necessary.

Instructions:
    1. Copy the game into Applications as you usually would do.
    2. Open the terminal and enter the following:
    sudo /Applications/BackToTheFuture101.app/Contents/MacOS/Mac_Game
    3. You will be prompted for your password. After you provide it, the game will launch.
  • edited December 2010
    Sappharad wrote: »
    I have the same problem as the image in the first post, pieces missing from the launcher / no way to log in. First I tried re-downloading, then I tried a different zip extractor, both didn't help. Renaming the file also didn't help.

Since I'm on a Mac Pro desktop machine, there's no Wifi to turn off. I'm the only user on my machine, and my account is the administrator. So I don't see why it would be a permission issue.

Anyway, I found that if I launch the application from the command line as sudo, it will work. This is ridiculous and shouldn't be necessary.

Instructions:
    1. Copy the game into Applications as you usually would do.
    2. Open the terminal and enter the following:

3. You will be prompted for your password. After you provide it, the game will launch.

This worked for me.
    But... since this issue seems to be quite popular shouldnt be some sort of official answer from TTG?
  • edited December 2010
    Hey Telltale! Hollar! I was really looking forward to having a functioning game and it's stalling like the rest of these guys here and nothing will fix it. Do something about it! (Please!?)

And my sound isn't working with the terminal solution, either. :( $25 well spent? Not so sure....
  • edited December 2010
    mish wrote: »
    And my sound isn't working with the terminal solution, either. :( $25 well spent? Not so sure....
    If you do the terminal solution I posted, your sound will default to the internal speaker on your mac. To change it, you need to launch System Preferences as sudo the same way you launch the game as sudo.
    sudo /Applications/System\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System\ Preferences
    Once again, you'll be prompted for your password and System Preferences will launch. Go into Sound preferences and change your speaker output to the proper option. You should only need to change this once, it's just setting a system wide default.

Obviously, this is a terrible way to solve the problem but it works until they fix the game itself.
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks nonetheless! :)
  • edited January 2011
    I've downloaded BTTF yesterday, late in the evenening. I've just launched it once to verify if it works ... I've logged in but I didn't press "Play" (it was too late).

Now, this morning I've launched the game and it auto-log-in ... but when I press "Play" it quits.

It happens even if I try to execute the binary via the Terminal as sudoer ... and even if I unplug the Ethernet cable.

OS X 10.6.6, MBP C2D.

[EDIT] I've placed the app in the Applications folder (it was in a sub folder) and now it works ... maybe the executable didn't like the previous path ...
  • edited January 2011
    fuck, something similar happend to me! I could register the game, but when i select the episode and I press play, I had an error message!! i want a solution! i hope the people of telltale make a most compatible version in the next's episodes!
  • edited February 2011
    I'm having major problems on OS X as well, but my symptoms don't match what is listed here. I had no trouble downloading or running the game, and playing it was fine until I reached the scene in which Marty must refine rocket fuel for young Emmet's drill by listening to Emmet's coded instructions as he argues with his father.

Every time I play through that scene and succeed in making enough fuel, the game locks up during the scripted dialogue immediately after it. Video stops, dialogue stops, only the background music continues to play. The system becomes completely unresponsive and I have to power cycle it.

Anybody else have this problem?
  • edited February 2011
    zeku wrote: »
    I'm having major problems on OS X as well, but my symptoms don't match what is listed here. I had no trouble downloading or running the game, and playing it was fine until I reached the scene in which Marty must refine rocket fuel for young Emmet's drill by listening to Emmet's coded instructions as he argues with his father.

Every time I play through that scene and succeed in making enough fuel, the game locks up during the scripted dialogue immediately after it. Video stops, dialogue stops, only the background music continues to play. The system becomes completely unresponsive and I have to power cycle it.

Anybody else have this problem?

All you need to do is turn down your graphics quality in the main menu.
  • edited February 2011
    Thank you for the response, Amy. But I tried it and it didn't help. I now have the graphics quality set to the lowest level, and the game still locks up my machine after completing that scene.

My machine is an 8 core Mac Pro, with 10GB of RAM and two ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT GPUs. It should be more than capable of handling this!
  • edited February 2011
    I'm having the same trouble as in the first post, but I'm running Windows Vista, not a Mac. Episode 1 works just fine, but episode 2 leaves me stuck in the launcher without any buttons. Any help would be appreciated.
  • edited February 2011
    episode 2 seems to be working (i just launched it to the main menu, but havent played it yet), but episode 1 doesn't even launch.

i'll double click it and the icons on the dock move over for a split second, then back... i am kinda bummed i just spent $25 on a game that doesnt even launch :mad:
  • edited February 2011
    Same problems with Episode 2 on my mac, won't start. Oh, and the german mac version has english voices. Telltale should get their QA right, asap.
  • edited February 2011
    Did anyone else register for the free version of the first episode only? That's what I did and it lets me download the game, but it won't play. I can see the main menu and press "play" but nothing happens at all.

I'm not sure if it's maybe because it's not actually available yet for people who registered for the free episode... But that wouldn't explain everyone else's problems.

I'm on an iMac, OS 10.6.6, and I tried turning off Wifi and it didn't work. :\
  • edited February 2011
    I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as jupitertronic: Clicking Play does absolutely nothing.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm having same problem with the "Free" version. Should I be glad I didn't buy it, since the problem has not been resolved since last year?

Turning off Wifi didn't help, and I won't even try running it as an admin.
  • edited February 2011
    Oookay... I renamed the app file to "BackToTheFuture101" from the longer "BackToTheFuture101 DRM 10.15" or whatever it was and it magically worked.

Didn't have to use the command line (which didn't work for me at all, by the way), and the sound worked fine, too.

Just played the whole episode, in fact, with no problems. Hope this helps someone!
  • edited February 2011
    I can't get my first episode to work, either. I played through the first episode about a month ago... but now it won't even open. I can open the second episode and it seems to work just fine. I tried the command line thing in terminal, too, and nothing. I'm a little miffed that I paid 25 bucks for a game that quits on launch. I've tried all the above solutions, nothing works. :(
  • edited February 2011
    Hi All,

I purchased Episode 1 using the free code that was packed into the BTTF Blu-Ray and today I received an e-mail from telltale letting me know my game was available for download. I clicked on the link for the mac and downloaded it. Once the DL was complete, I took the app file and dropped it into my Applications folder. Once it was in there, I clicked on it and nothing happened. The game did not launch, I did not get any errors, I didn't even make it as far as some of the others in here. All it does is look like its going to place the icon on my task bar, but it never does.

I am the only one who uses this mac, so I am the administrator and logged in as one.

I tried to rename the file as some others suggested, and that did not work. I even followed along with some of the suggestions about running some statements in terminal, and that did not work..

Can someone please let me know what I am doing wrong? I am so frustrated right now, I am about to just plop down the money and buy it on the PS3 or something...

Thanks!!
  • edited February 2011
    you made sure to name it BackToTheFuture101 exactly with no spaces?
  • edited February 2011
    Just downloaded the free ep to test it out. Same issue as above. Nothing happens when I launch. Tried changing the name, etc. It sucks that after knowing about it for 2 months the zip/app package is still screwed up. I guess I'll delete it.
  • edited February 2011
    FYI, I tried renaming the application file as suggested above, and it does work.

Somewhere, the launcher must have a hardcoded filename, and it just can't work with the " DRM 10.15" added on.
This discussion has been closed.