Back to the Future Mac Os Problem! (2 solutions inside)

2»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Renaming the file also worked for me, but it had to be EXACTLY:

BackToTheFuture101

If it's any different it won't work. This is with the free version, by the way. On a Mac Pro with 2 x 3 GHz Dual Core Xeon.
  • edited February 2011
    I renamed the file AND went through the terminal, and still it's a no-go. Anyone have any other solutions? I really want to play. :-(
  • edited February 2011
    Renaming the file also worked for me, but it had to be EXACTLY:

BackToTheFuture101

If it's any different it won't work. This is with the free version, by the way. On a Mac Pro with 2 x 3 GHz Dual Core Xeon.

I named it exactly like you have above, hell I even copied and pasted what you had above, and still no luck...
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, on my hackintosh 10.6.6 renaming the file worked (just delete the bits before BackToTheFuture101). I guess everyone here that has it working threw their .app file in the root Applications folder?

Good luck everyone
  • edited February 2011
    mdaday wrote: »
    I was having the same problem. I took the advice of another poster and removed the spaces from the file name and it worked for me. I shortened the file name to "BackToTheFuture101" and it works fine.
    Matt

After I rename the file without spaces, it works again!

Thanks!
    Jason
  • edited February 2011
    Man, this is really annoying me.

I've deleted the file, re-downloaded it a few times, changed the file name, and nothing!

No matter what I do, I can not get this thing to launch. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • edited February 2011
    Mmmkay, so I downloaded it from another browser (I was using Firefox, tried Safari) and it launched, but now it says I'm in offline mode when I'm clearly connected to the Internet. :mad:
  • edited February 2011
    The ep was working for me on a Macbook Pro, but the second one shows the same problems as everybody, I managed to lunch it from the BTTF ep1 menu, but it wasnt saving at ALL!!!
    now also the ep1 luncher is not working... :(
  • edited February 2011
    Rename thing worked for me. Thanks.
  • edited February 2011
    Mmmkay, so I downloaded it from another browser (I was using Firefox, tried Safari) and it launched, but now it says I'm in offline mode when I'm clearly connected to the Internet. :mad:

Ok, so I am getting somewhere. I deleted the file from my applications folder and then downloaded it again, but this time I went through Safari, and when it was finished I was able to launch it, YAY!, but when I went to click PLAY, nothing happened!

Anyone else have this issue??
  • edited February 2011
    SUCCESS!!!!!!

So I took the advice from several different posts, and I got it to work. here is what I did to get it to work on my iMac.

1. Use Safari (not sure if this was necessary in the end, but someone else used it, so I followed suit)
    2. Download the game from your account. Do not use the link you get in the e-mail, or from the pop-up that greets you when you visit the site.
    3. Re-name the file to BackToTheFuture101. Get rid of everything else after that.
    4. Launch game.

Those are the steps I followed, and I just finished playing for about 1.5hrs. So much fun!!

:):):):):):):)
  • edited February 2011
    Just adding a voice to let you know that one more has encountered this problem. Nothing happens when I click play. I'm not motivated enough to try the workarounds at the moment, so I'll just delete it and maybe try again at another time.
  • edited February 2011
    On both my mac book pro and my imac the program will seem to open for a moment - my icon bar will expand as though to make room for the program icon - but then the bar resumes normalcy and the game is not open. Snow Leopard over here (both machines). The fixes here seem to be for a separate issue, because renaming does not work.
  • edited February 2011
    ktastic wrote: »
    On both my mac book pro and my imac the program will seem to open for a moment - my icon bar will expand as though to make room for the program icon - but then the bar resumes normalcy and the game is not open. Snow Leopard over here (both machines). The fixes here seem to be for a separate issue, because renaming does not work.

Exactly the same problem here!

Mac Pro, i7, 24GB.

Double click the icon in applications, looks like it puts the icon in the dock for a split second and then instant close of the application.
  • edited February 2011
    I had problems launching the game too, fixed it by unzipping the file with Apple's own Archive Utility instead of Unarchiver.

Then, I couldn't press "Play" that was fixed by deleting all of the DRM mumbo jumbo from the end of the app package name
  • edited February 2011
    Just adding a voice to let you know that one more has encountered this problem. Nothing happens when I click play. I'm not motivated enough to try the workarounds at the moment, so I'll just delete it and maybe try again at another time.

Same thing here. I got episode 1 for free and got the email to download it. Installed on my MBP, click the Play button, and nothing. This is pretty ridiculous, not sure how this issue made it past their QA department. The game not starting seems like a pretty obvious bug. I'll try some of the workarounds and see what happens.
  • edited March 2011
    None of tips for solving problem with running the game worked for me, so I made my own investigation and noticed that Mac_Game doesn't have execute bit set. So Mac probably doesn't recognize this file as application.
    I tried to set execute bit and it worked.

You need to open Terminal
    and type
    sudo chmod +x /Applications/BackToTheFuture101.app/Contents/MacOS/Mac_Game

type in Your password and it should work normally.
  • edited March 2011
    Hey, I downloaded the free episode about two weeks ago and had problems launching the game, but it was solved by simply deleting the DRM part of the file name. After I downloaded the game, I told my dad about it and he downloaded as well but has not been able to make it work since then.

His problem is similar to the OP's but he gets stuck at the Log In Screen and can't enter his username or password. He's tried deleting and re-downloading the game multiple times (from his games page, not the email link) and I've tried all of the suggested fixes in this thread and nothing has made it work.

The strange thing is that we're both running the game on a Mac, I'm on a 2008 Black MacBook with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS 10.6.6 and he is on a 2010 iMac with a 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 also running OS 10.6.6. Theoretically his brand new computer should run the game ten times better than mine, however neither of us can figure out how to get past the log in screen.
  • edited March 2011
    Another "me too" post. Managed to play the first part with the terminal trickery, but the episode 2 just won't start - getting only the loader screen with blank buttons. Downloaded from My Games list, deleted preferences, deleted and reloaded, nothing helps. OS X 10.6.6, MacBook Pro, 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory.

I'm a long time Telltale Games fan, but nevertheless a former software tester in me is wondering how did something like this slip through the cracks, and the current publicist in me is wondering how long 'till there's an official reply and instructions for this.
  • edited March 2011
    i was able to get both episodes to run on my macs, but while playing episode 1, for some reason the save option wasn't showing up... i'm loving the game, but the non-skippable cinematics are really boring after seeing them 3 or 4 times (i've tried it on multiple pc's and mac's)

anyone having the same issue?
  • edited March 2011
    Sight. I've reinstalled OS X and re-downloaded the game. Now I get the launcher to work, but it won't accept the password. I know it to be the correct one, since I can use it to log in and out of the Telltale store. I also changed the password once just to be sure, but now, a day later, the game still won't start.
  • edited March 2011
    Downloaded Episode 3 today, no luck again on a Mac... just like with Episodes I and II. Either it wont detect the network, or the launcher sceen is just emtpy.

Dear TellTale: Get your act together, this is just bad programming and no QA at all.
  • edited April 2011
    Holy crap! This worked for me!

Wow, really broken.
  • edited April 2011
    Here's how to fix the problem:
    Go to a computer store.
    Buy Windows 7.
    Use Bootcamp to instal Windows 7.
    Download Back To The Future: The Game.
    Problem Solved.
  • edited April 2011
    The password problem was solved: I had non-alphabet non-numerical characters in my password, ie. stuff like #€%& - those work on the site, but apparently not on the game launcher itself. Changed my password to have only letters and numbers, and now it works.

Sloppy programming, sorry to say.
  • edited April 2011
    Hi,

I have the same problem as explained in the first post :

I downloaded the application from the site, English version for MAC, but when I launch It, this is what i see

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8339/schermata20101223a13194.png

there are no texts, no links, nothing that I can interact with...

(and dock and menu bar desappear).
    I can't even type my password, i can't do anything.

I tried every solution told by you all…

Fortunately, i didn't buy the game, but wanted first to try it with the free first episode !
  • edited April 2011
    Hi, i've a little problem since i've downloaded ep3 for mac

this is a screenshot of the problem...

idvibq.png

I can't click nothing so i can't play.
    How can i solve it?!?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Hi Emjay, seems a lot of Mac users have had the same issue with various episodes. Have a look through this thread for some possible solutions (apologies I can't offer much advice myself).
  • edited April 2011
    Same issue, none of the things mentioned here worked for me.

Telltale this is UNACCEPTABLE!
  • edited April 2011
    for me, the solution was to uncompress the zip file with Archive Utility that is built-in the system, instead of The Unarchiver that I normally use. no other solutions worked, from renaming, to permissions, to sudo launch in the terminal...
  • edited April 2011
    Just to say that i have downoaded the game once more from "my game" list, and this time i don't know why, it works !
  • edited July 2011
    q305 wrote: »
    Well, I see the menu, but when I click "PLAY", the application just quits.
    No crash report, no error message, no nothing.

me too it just doset do anything ive dowlode it tow times
This discussion has been closed.