Sam & Max sketchbook - alive and well!

EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
Not to be outdone by the Western print, Steve Purcell's beloved Sam & Max sketchbook has found it has one more life to give for its country fans, in the form of a brand new reprint now available in the Telltale store!

sketchbook_large.png

The sketchbook is chalk full of scribbles, concepts, and full-fledged drawings by Steve Purcell, chronicling almost twenty years of Sam & Max goodness. It was originally unveiled at last year's Comic Con in a limited run. The overwhelming demand to this first Sam & Max book in a decade led to our decision in November to reprint, giving those of you who haven't bought it yet the opportunity to get your hands on this gem before it slips off the face of the earth (and into the clutches of eBay) forever.

Go buy it! You might not get this chance again!

(If you bought the sketchbook while it was backordered, your order will ship very soon... if it hasn't already.)

Comments

• edited February 2007
    hope you printed enough copies :p
  • edited February 2007
    Muahahahaha! *laugh fiendishly and smile viciously*

Well, I'm looking forward to getting both this and the Western poster in the mail. Thanks a bunch for reprinting it. I shall watch over it as if it is my most precious belonging - and who's to say it won't be? ;)
  • edited February 2007
    I got my pre-order of the sketchbook yesterday in the mail! I like it a lot. :D Only problem is I don't have a way to vacuum seal it. :/ I'm going to use a laminating sheet instead and seal the edges so it's air tight for years to come. :)
  • MelMel
    edited February 2007
    I'll bet if you looked around, you could find some archive friendly plastic jackets that they use for library books. Something like this:

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/default.htm
  • edited February 2007
    I like to boil my valuable books down to a fine paste that I can then pour into a mould and dry for easy storage. Then it's safe forever!
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah, but I want it sealed in an airtight container. Not only can I not ruin it with my fingerprints, but it's sealed from air and partially blocked from sunlight too! :D If I want to read it, I can take it out (While in a vacuum sealed room in a biosuit.) and then reseal it after. :p
  • edited February 2007
    well, I got some Chinese New Year money, and I was trying to decide on whether I should buy anime, cds, or pay my mom back for the money I owe her. Whatever I decide to do, it will have to wait until I get me a copy of this!
  • edited March 2007
    Got mine in the mail today. Great stuff. I hope to see some of concept characters in future eps.
  • edited March 2007
    just got mine he he!
  • edited March 2007
    Ok, ok! You win, here, have another £18 from me for the book! :3
  • edited March 2007
    anyone ordered the book from overseas? how long did it take you? its been 2 weeks and i'm starting to cry everytime i check the mail and its not there
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Don't despair! It usually takes a bit longer than 2 weeks to Europe.

If you haven't received it two weeks from now, let me know.
  • edited March 2007
    okay should be here soon.. curse being on the other side of the planet
  • edited March 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    okay should be here soon.. curse being on the other side of the planet

I curse that as well! Approximately two weeks since the poster and sketchbook were sent to me as well, but I know how long shipping sometimes takes. Once it took a book six months to get to me from USA. :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2007
    Got mine today, makes 13 Days. (Workdays)
  • edited March 2007
    Hmm, I wonder how long it'll take to come over to the north east of scotland in that case. :)
  • edited March 2007
    Yayy got mine today too :D
  • edited April 2007
    I can't find how much it costs for it to ship to Canada. :(

PS: To people who bought this, Is it really worth it? How much awesome stuff is in it?
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, it's worth it. There's lots of cool stuff in it. :D
  • edited April 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    PS: To people who bought this, Is it really worth it? How much awesome stuff is in it?

Yes, its worth getting. It contains a lot of great sketches never seen before.

I purchased it recently & gave it to a friend of mine. Now I need to buy another copy for myself! :)

Note: it is a little smaller than I expected (about 8"x5") but still worth every penny.
  • edited April 2007
    Does it cover art for Season One as well?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    It has a tiny bit of pre-production for season 1, but by that I mean maybe one sketch of Sam & Max which ran on our website back before the game was formally announced. This sketchbook was created by Steve to be sold at last year's San Diego Comic-Con, which was well before Culture Shock came out (the game wasn't even shown to the public until the Penny Arcade Expo a month later).
  • edited April 2007
    Is the book shipped so it can't be bent? We have a small mailbox at our appartment and mailmen have a tendency to try and cram stuff in there if it bends.
  • MelMel
    edited April 2007
    It came in quite a big box (considering the size of the book). There wasn't a scratch on mine when I got it. :)
  • edited April 2007
    Thanks!

blah blah (it said the message was too short)
    edited April 2007
    Is the book shipped so it can't be bent? We have a small mailbox at our appartment and mailmen have a tendency to try and cram stuff in there if it bends.

I have been going back and forth with DR about this. It is supposed to be shipped in a way that will not allow it to be bent.

If anyone does receive a damaged sketchbook (or a damaged anything), email support@telltalegames.com about it, please.

Also you can figure out shipping costs by *almost* placing an order. Shipping shows on the last place before you submit your order. If you're worried about submitting the order accidentally, choose the PayPal option instead of credit card and you won't have to enter any billing info. I do this all the time to check shipping prices for people.
  • edited April 2007
    Wow, after shippping and convertion to Canadian dollar's it came to $29. Still worth it though!
  • edited May 2007
    I received my sketchbook in the mail today! But behold! Just as I predicted, the mailman bent it to get it in the mailbox. It was in a bubble yellow envelope. It's okay though, it's not perminantly bent, it went back. There is a small tear at the top of the spine but it's not something I'd freak out about. I understand the roughness of mail, but I'd suggest maybe putting the book inbetween two peices of slightly larger cardboard. Works like a charm. I was also equally as happy to get an ad card thingy with bone on one side and that awesome drawing of Sam & Max on the other (the one with the rat holding the weenie). I wanted that picture really bad and even though it's smallish I'm still gonna put it up somewhere.
  • edited May 2007
    Me thinks this calls for a nasty prank to be pulled on your mailman, xChri5x. :I Like, maybe, put something in your mailbox that will fly out and scare the crap out of him. :p
  • edited May 2007
    I'm thinking spring loaded boxing glove.......
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, that'll teach em! Nobody mishandles a Sam & Max sketchbook! :p
  • edited May 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Me thinks this calls for a nasty prank to be pulled on your mailman, xChri5x. :I Like, maybe, put something in your mailbox that will fly out and scare the crap out of him. :p

Ooh! A hornet's nest! :D
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    I received my sketchbook in the mail today! But behold! Just as I predicted, the mailman bent it to get it in the mailbox. It was in a bubble yellow envelope. It's okay though, it's not perminantly bent, it went back. There is a small tear at the top of the spine but it's not something I'd freak out about. I understand the roughness of mail, but I'd suggest maybe putting the book inbetween two peices of slightly larger cardboard. Works like a charm. I was also equally as happy to get an ad card thingy with bone on one side and that awesome drawing of Sam & Max on the other (the one with the rat holding the weenie). I wanted that picture really bad and even though it's smallish I'm still gonna put it up somewhere.

Bummer about the squishing and small tear. :(
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    *sigh* :( We can't control how those are shipped since we're not the ones who pack them up! We asked the people at the fulfillment place to send them in boxes instead of flat envelopes (which they did for a while) but it looks like that's not happening anymore.
  • edited May 2007
    It seems that the sketchbook is available to buy from other places:

http://www.amazon.com/Age-S-M-Sam-Sketchbook/dp/B000K2EZTU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/002-4711511-8533614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179733024&sr=8-4

Interesting... Check out the price.
  • edited May 2007
    Yowza. Oh by the way, I recieved my copy a week or two ago and it came in a box! The back cover's top edge was bent buuuuuuuuuuut I can live with it.
  • edited May 2007
    OnCallDoc wrote: »

http://www.amazon.com/Age-S-M-Sam-Sketchbook/dp/B000K2EZTU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/002-4711511-8533614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179733024&sr=8-4

Interesting... Check out the price.

Wow... and I bet that's not even one of those with Steve's signature and a Max-drawing in it... like mine. :cool:
  • edited May 2007
    Watch someone dish out $99.99 thinking it literally is the "Age of S&M".
    edited May 2007
    OnCallDoc wrote: »

That's probably just one guy selling his personal copy. And the price is outrageous for something that's still in print. ;)
  • edited May 2007
    I love this book and I got lucky enough to have purcell draw a toyboxxx girl in the front of one of them. I wish he would do more with spudvision and get his entire art portfolio out there, hes got some great stuff.
    BTW canada post sucks.. sorry I love canada but hate its post :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.