Did you know what a "speakeasy" was?

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I had a vauge idea, when they first mentioned it, and mentioned illegal doings. I just presumed it was some kind of shady gambling place, which it pretty much was!
  • edited March 2011
    GeorgeC wrote: »
    which it pretty much was!

Though, if you spun the wheel, it would open the secret door... soooooo... yeah.
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    They also tried to rationalize Japanese American internment camps.

... What? I remember actually discussing whether or not we thought Japanese internment in WW2 was morally right or not when I was in high school, not just being told it was a good idea.
  • edited March 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    ... What? I remember actually discussing whether or not we thought Japanese internment in WW2 was morally right or not when I was in high school, not just being told it was a good idea.

Yeah, never in my life did I hear a history teacher try to spin that as a good thing. It's pretty universally considered one of our big "sorry about that" moments.
  • edited March 2011
    I never studied it in school, but then again I went to Catholic school.

I remember hearing the word in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.:)
  • edited March 2011
    BrendanK wrote: »
    I'm just curious, how many of you understood what a speakeasy was when it was first mentioned in the game?

I myself have never heard the term before, but as the the conversation between Marty and Edna went on I started to get the idea.
    Anyone whose taken a standard/general US History class in Middle or High School should know what a speakeasy is...
  • edited March 2011
    Of course I did. Who doesn't these days (with the exception of one too young to have been taught).

Of course, speakeasy's today aren't alcohol anymore since booze is legal. So now we all get to walk around in places full or crack, whores & Special K .... no, not the cereal. Unless of course, that is your thing ... coke & oats. LOL.
  • edited March 2011
    The first time I head the word in Ep. 1, I immediately looked it up. I'm glad I did, otherwise I would've been confused for the rest of the episode! XD
  • edited March 2011
    I learned it from the film "Horse Feathers" by the Marx Brothers.

So did I! And here I thought I'd be the only one.
  • edited March 2011
    speakeasy right? Well, so far, after playing the game recently, i don't have any idea about the term. but when we separate each syllables, speak-easy.

wow kenny! you have a point! But I don't think it would be the exact meaning on it.
    ________
    Hair salon? Here: Afro Salon
  • edited March 2011
    Since I live in the US I learned about it in school in 6th grade. If you don't live in the US I could understand not knowing what it meant.

There's a series on HBO called Boardwalk Empire that takes place during the prohibition and speakeasies. It's pretty good.
  • edited March 2011
    I didn't know what Speakeasy meant, I had to wiki it. And not being American nor a big fan of gangster-movies I didn't really know about the Prohibition era either! Oh well.
  • edited March 2011
    Nope.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.