Did you know what a "speakeasy" was?

I'm just curious, how many of you understood what a speakeasy was when it was first mentioned in the game?

I myself have never heard the term before, but as the the conversation between Marty and Edna went on I started to get the idea.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Yes I did. I learned about it several years ago when we went over Prohibition in 6th grade history class.
  • edited January 2011
    First for me, and a couple of other people I played the game with.
  • edited January 2011
    I knew what it was.... I have been a big fan of Gangster films for many years.... and the prohibition is a big part of most.

For those not familiar or not from the states and do not know US history this may be of some interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakeasy
  • edited January 2011
    Oh you mean what a speakeasy was or what the word "speakeasy" meant? I knew what a speakeasy is but I didn't know that word was standing for it in English dictionary. I watched some gangster movies back then but all were dubbed in my native language.
  • edited January 2011
    I alt-tabbed and wiki'd it.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited January 2011
    In the given context, it was absolutely clear what "speakeasy" meant. I even involuntarily had German subtitles in my first game, and I didn't know the German word as well at first, so: Learnt two things at once. :D
  • edited January 2011
    I had no idea, had to look it up. English is my second language and I'm studying to become an English teacher so I need to expand my vocabulary all the time. Adventure games has been teaching me English since I was twelve and I'm glad to see they still do.
  • edited January 2011
    Already knew, must have picked it up somewhere in the vast number of movies/tv shows I've seen or books I've read. BTTF:TG certainly isn't the first thing I've seen which had stuff set in depression/prohibition era.

Then again, no such prohibition ever happened in Australia :)
  • edited January 2011
    Molokov wrote: »
    Already knew, must have picked it up somewhere in the vast number of movies/tv shows I've seen or books I've read. BTTF:TG certainly isn't the first thing I've seen which had stuff set in depression/prohibition era.

Then again, no such prohibition ever happened in Australia :)

What do you ting would happen if the government tried to restrict booze in Australia? It really wouldn't end well, methinks.
  • edited January 2011
    What do you ting would happen if the government tried to restrict booze in Australia? It really wouldn't end well, methinks.

Much like Australia's past attempts to restrict access to the internet.

OOh, brainstorm! Imagine a future about Internet Prohibition, where violent gangs compete for control over illegal cybercafes and banned websites!

So basically, the same as if net neutrality was outlawed.
  • edited January 2011
    Make ANYTHING illegal that is in high demand and you will have crime and chaos...
  • edited January 2011
    We think my house used to have a speakeasy in the basement. The piano is still there, and there used to be an old mirrored ball.
  • edited January 2011
    There is a few places in my town that were speakeasies... There is also a brewery that had to stop making beer and make soda instead... surprisingly they made it through the prohibition.... Another brewery here made it through but closed in the late 80's...
  • edited January 2011
    Foreigners are exempt, but really, anyone who grew up in the US and went through the public school system should know what a Speakeasy is.
  • edited January 2011
    I've learned playing the game "Gangsters" when I was 10 or so.

Also learned a 'whorehouse' wasn't an alternative kind of warehouse (hey, child and not native english speaking :p)
  • edited January 2011
    Foreigners are exempt, but really, anyone who grew up in the US and went through the public school system should know what a Speakeasy is.

They also tried to rationalize Japanese American internment camps.
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Make ANYTHING illegal that is in high demand and you will have crime and chaos...

And some will have loads of money
  • edited March 2011
    I grew up watching "eliot Ness" in "the untouchables".
    Hells bells! I'm almost old enough to have frequented one myself!
    Well!
    Maybe not!
    Not far off mind you.;)
  • edited March 2011
    I first heard the word when I bought The Sinister Ducks 45, too many years ago. It included a comic, narrated by Alan Moore (of V for Vendetta/Watchmen fame), while the music was played by David J (Bauhaus) and Alex Green (The Jazz Butcher and others).
    The record is a rarity but you can watch it online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os1jPX8v5BI
  • edited March 2011
    I generally garb myself in 1920s clothing including longcoat and Fedora, so...
  • edited March 2011
    I'm familiar with the word solely due to my grade seven History class.
  • edited March 2011
    Can't exactly say I've heard of it, and the prohibition era is my favorite time period so it was cool to learn something new.
  • edited March 2011
    I learned about it and the era at secondary school in history classes when we got up to the 20th century stuff in about 4th year.
  • edited March 2011
    You know where I learnt what a "Speakeasy" is?
    In another adventure game!
    In "Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra" (set in the 1920s) you have to investigate a bit in a speakeasy. It was one of the first scenes in a game where there was real music with singing, if I recall correctly.

Well, well, any serious adventure game player should be familiar with that...
    (but then, the BttF episodes do not seem to be aimed at the serious adventure game player anyway... :) just kidding!)
  • edited March 2011
    I knew what a speakeasy was, but I didn't know the word for it in English.
  • edited March 2011
    Wasn't familiar with the term speakeasy.
  • edited March 2011
    While in College I took a class on beer making and my final report was on the speakeasy's and saloons and their impact on culture at their times.

Speakeady's were crucial for the supply of alcohol in the 1920's.

Also, yes I knew what a speakeasy was.

SO FAR SO GOOD TELLTALE. I am a bit worried about episode 3 but maybe you can turn it around for me.
  • edited March 2011
    Really surprised so many people didn't know the word. I've always been fascinated by 1930's gangster stuff so it's always been known to me. I've also played a few other adventure games that featured them. Laura Bow 2 comes to mind.
  • edited March 2011
    I learned it from the film "Horse Feathers" by the Marx Brothers.
  • edited March 2011
    I pretty much gathered what it was when I heard the term used. When you're drunk, you have an easy time letting out to others a lot more so than you would if you were sober.

Thus, speakeasy.
  • edited March 2011
    Before I played this game I had no idea what a speakeasy was but now I know... and knowing is half the battle.
  • edited March 2011
    I knew the usa made booze illegal in the 1930s causing pubs to go underground, thus attracting criminals. But it took quite some conversation with Edna to figure out this "speakeasy" she was talking about was such a place.
  • edited March 2011
    Knew it from books, games, movies etc. I think there was even one on the Simpsons once...
    Kord wrote: »
    You know where I learnt what a "Speakeasy" is?
    In another adventure game!
    In "Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra" (set in the 1920s) you have to investigate a bit in a speakeasy. It was one of the first scenes in a game where there was real music with singing, if I recall correctly.

There was one in a Nancy Drew game too...
  • edited March 2011

This. In the U.S. this is one of those common knowledge historical terms. That is, if you had the luxury of a grade school education.
  • edited March 2011
    I speak easy and carry a big stick! Wait, that's not right...
  • edited March 2011
    I didn't recognize the English word but I know what it means.
  • edited March 2011
    I had a vague sense but didn't no for sure.
    Its one of them American history terms that crop up from time to time in period pieces that American's of the right generation seem to just assume everyone knows but it isn't really known outside the US or to even half the younger generations.

Puts me in mind of my American Literature teacher, she's from america originally and assumes FAR too much knowledge of us. Like she rattles of "famous" events and battles and names; only to look annoyed at us when we have to ask what they all are.
  • edited March 2011
    Yes. I'm not from US but I thought it was common knowledge I'm kinda surprised to see all those 'No' O_o
  • edited March 2011
    Qualcosa wrote: »
    Yes. I'm not from US but I thought it was common knowledge I'm kinda surprised to see all those 'No' O_o

Bars are commonplace now; and so are burlesque houses; so... yeah, the term was kind of lost.
  • edited March 2011
    Any weathered adventure gamer should know what a speakeasy is, assuming they played Sierra's "Laura Bow 2: The Dagger of Amon Ra".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.