Jurassic Park Mystery?

edited March 2011 in Jurassic Park
Ok so we've all seen Jurassic Park 2 right? The part that always makes me wonder and sceratch my head is the ship scene where the ship crashes in the harbor and then malcolm checks and hes see the two arms on the wheel. In the movie they say that the rex killed the crew members... but if the rex really killed the crew members...wheres the damage? im a bit skeptical about that scene. I mean what were they thinking? that their audience wouldnt care much about it?? I honestly think that when they were writing the script originally raptors would of gotten on the ship and killed the crew.... but i dont know its just my opinion what do you guys think?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    It always seemed like a nod to Dracula to me. In the context of the film however I think it was the baby rex.
  • edited January 2011
    tobar wrote: »
    It always seemed like a nod to Dracula to me. In the context of the film however I think it was the baby rex.

The baby Rex was flown in by a chopper. Honestly, it was the Papa Rex who ate and killed the crew. it's been said so by David Koepp.
  • edited January 2011
    I mean what were they thinking? that their audience wouldnt care much about it??

That's sums up me. Yes, there are questions. There's almost no way the T-Rex could have gotten in there especially seeing how there was no damage done to the inside of the ship. It also wasn't the baby rex because when they ask if they're were any other dinosaurs on the boat the man answers no and that the baby rex was brought in by air.

But in all honesty does it really matter? The point is that the boat brought the Rex to the main land. All that mystery was just there to build up suspense untill the Rex excaped from the cargo hold.

Out of the three films TLW is really the one with the most messed up scenes. The questionable ship crash is the famous one. But I like to talk about the High Hide. Just how high is that thing? Notice, that it is above the Tree line. Well.... if it's above the Tree Line then what the hell is it haning from? It can't be a tree cause that would have to be one hell of a tall tree. I mean REALLY tall. Go back and look. It doesn't make sense. Also notice that when Eddy goes to save the group he says that Kelly is still in the High Hide. Well, if that's true then the High Hide is currently on the ground because you needed the car to crank it up into the air and yet he drove the car to the trailer. Weird. But again, I look past all that.
    Another thing I look pass in TLW is when the Triceratops crashes through the tent. Go back and watch that scene. You'll notice that it has no body. You can see the cran or car that's pushing it forward.

Another weird issue happens in the original during the TRex excape. Okay, so when we see the rex standing behind the fence and steping out of the fence he is ground level. By that I mean if you were to look in the fence there would be a ground that the T-Rex is standing on. However, the same area that the T-Rex walks out of is the same side that the Car goes over. So... what happened? Did that cliff just suddenly appear? It sure wasn't there when the Rex walked out.

Again, I look past these things. The movies are still great even if they do have some editing isues.
  • edited January 2011
    I never noticed how high the high hide was until you mentioned it right now lol. Hmm it seems that when i was a kid i didn't care for much of the little things but seeing it now much older i tend to notice small things.
  • edited January 2011
    NOPE! u guys are wrong, it actually said in the original script and stuff that it was raptors that stowed away on the ship which was a reference to the first novel and that was supposed to be showed in a scene on the ship but that never made it to the screen. What does make me wonder is where the raptors went... ooh that could make for a good comic miniseries! :D
  • edited January 2011
    I never noticed how high the high hide was until you mentioned it right now lol. Hmm it seems that when i was a kid i didn't care for much of the little things but seeing it now much older i tend to notice small things.

That tends to happen. lol I need to go back and watch the thrid one. I've seen the first two enough times to pin point the odd things but I've only seen the thrid one a few times. I'm sure there's some weird stuff in that one too.
  • edited January 2011
    That tends to happen. lol I need to go back and watch the thrid one. I've seen the first two enough times to pin point the odd things but I've only seen the thrid one a few times. I'm sure there's some weird stuff in that one too.

ooooo yes the third one....lol like the mysterious dinosaur who attacked the boat members lol. I always figured it to be a spino but somewhere online it said that the pterosaurs attack the boat. Ahhh jurassic park is filled with mysteries!:D
  • edited January 2011
    AHH! I can't believe I forgot that scene! lol Yeah, what the hell was that about? One second they're in fog and then the next they're all dead. Just what the hell happened to them? lol

I guess a pterosaurs attack is possible. They did have some free acording to the end of The Lost World where we see one flying around.
  • edited January 2011

Another weird issue happens in the original during the TRex excape. Okay, so when we see the rex standing behind the fence and steping out of the fence he is ground level. By that I mean if you were to look in the fence there would be a ground that the T-Rex is standing on. However, the same area that the T-Rex walks out of is the same side that the Car goes over. So... what happened? Did that cliff just suddenly appear? It sure wasn't there when the Rex walked out.

I often had a problem with this scene when I was younger!
    But by the time I found out some things I want to share with you:

First of all let's take a look at the paddock when the T-Rex breaks free:
    trexpennight0.jpg

The whole fence consists of 2 different poles which are fixing the cables: I-section steel poles with the blinking orange and blue lights on top at about every 10 meters and smaller ones which bisect this distance.
    At this image you can see that the T-Rex breaks free between a small pole (pole 2) and a big pole (pole 3).
    He steps out between explorer 04 and explorer 05.

In the scene when Muldoon arrives with Ellie at the paddock you actually get a nice overview on the whole area:
    trexpennight1.jpg

As you can see the earlier mentionend smaller pole 2 has obvously fallen into the paddock during the attack, because there are only the 2 bigger ones (pole 1 and pole 3) still standing. This first gap in the fence in front of explorer 05 is where the t-rex stepped out of the paddock.
    But from this perspective you can also clearly see that there is a second gap in the fence a bit down the road.

After Muldoon and Ellie found Malcolm and put him into the jeep, Ellie walks down the road to the second gap:
    trexpennight2.jpg

She leans over the concrete wall and discovers the second tour vehicle on the ground of a moat.
    So the actual ground level didn't change because then the T-Rex would never have been able to get out of his paddock plus we could have never seen into the paddock because the ground on the other side of the fence would be about 15 meters lower.
    Actually the ground of the T-Rex paddock is on the same level as the tour road just till the place where explorer 04 stood when the power shut down. Then there is a concrete moat.
    Directly after the arrival on Isla Nublar Gennaro talks to Hammond in the jeep and asks if "the full 50 miles of perimeter fence are in place" when Hammond answers: "And the concrete moats, and the motion-sensor tracking systems."
    Although it is not very well "introduced" in the T-Rex attack sequence explorer 04 was actually pushed down one of these moats which apparently separated the paddock from the tour road.

Also if you look at the daylight scene at the paddock you can not really see this moat (in fact it isn't there) but because of the low camera position it COULD be possible that there is a moat behind the fence:
    trexpenday.jpg

I also visualized the whole area to see how this "mystery" was meant to happen:
    T-Rex Paddock at the Rest Area
  • edited January 2011
    That makes a bit more sense. But when they actually get down there to look at the jeep the surroundings still make you think that the whole area is one big cliff.
  • edited January 2011
    That scene always bugged the crap out of me. Thanks for clearing it up, Tope :)
  • edited January 2011
    And how the hell did the ship even get THERE if the crew was dead? They must have been killed very recently if they managed to get the ship to her final course. Auto-tracking doesn't seem to be an option since there was a guy at the helm and NO ONE auto-tracks in pilotage waters anyhow.
  • edited January 2011
    PainDealer wrote: »
    And how the hell did the ship even get THERE if the crew was dead? They must have been killed very recently if they managed to get the ship to her final course. Auto-tracking doesn't seem to be an option since there was a guy at the helm and NO ONE auto-tracks in pilotage waters anyhow.

The T-rex is a clever guy, he waited until the pilot arrived to join the vessel and guide them through the harbour waters.
    Just shortly before the vessel reaches the berthing place, he makes some noises and waits for erverybody to come down to the cargo hold and eats them 1 by one, even the pilot.

EDIT: Now I know his name: Solid Rex. He just forgot his bandana.
  • edited January 2011
    But there's a dead guy on the deck and T. rex is still in the hold.
  • edited January 2011
    PainDealer wrote: »
    But there's a dead guy on the deck and T. rex is still in the hold.

He died because of the shock. One of T-Rex victims got a walkie talkie, like the guy on the deck and the rex told him you are next. So he shit himself and died.
    Yeah that sounds like a resonable explanation.:D
  • edited January 2011
    As I read the visual narrative (however eyebrow-raising) the T-Rex escaped after its sedation wore off, ate/eliminated just about everyone (possibly some threw themselves overboard), then got lured (back?) into the hold, where Dead Man #2 closed the door on him with the controls whilst expiring.
  • edited January 2011
    Sisyphus wrote: »
    As I read the visual narrative (however eyebrow-raising) the T-Rex escaped after its sedation wore off, ate/eliminated just about everyone (possibly some threw themselves overboard), then got lured (back?) into the hold, where Dead Man #2 closed the door on him with the controls whilst expiring.

Makes sense to me. He probably chased some crew down there.
  • edited January 2011
    the "mystery" on the SS Venture in TLW:JP is really mysterious ;)
    As there was only the female T-Rex on the ship the crew couldn't be torn into pieces because of 2 simple reasons:
    1) some human remains were INSIDE the bridge which was not destroyed.
    2) one dead guy was holding the control for the cargo doors which are still closed.

who the heck could the T-Rex kill the crew members even inside the ship where it's much to small for even the Rex' head and nothing is demolished?
    even if it was the Rex, how did it end up in the cargo-space when there's noone alive who could have closed the doors?
  • edited February 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    the "mystery" on the SS Venture in TLW:JP is really mysterious ;)
    As there was only the female T-Rex on the ship the crew couldn't be torn into pieces because of 2 simple reasons:
    1) some human remains were INSIDE the bridge which was not destroyed.
    2) one dead guy was holding the control for the cargo doors which are still closed.

who the heck could the T-Rex kill the crew members even inside the ship where it's much to small for even the Rex' head and nothing is demolished?
    even if it was the Rex, how did it end up in the cargo-space when there's noone alive who could have closed the doors?

Somone probably threw a flare in the hold and shut the Rex in while it was looking for it and then died because of the wounds he had received.
  • edited February 2011
    I don't care what Koepp or Spielberg say, I will always think a group of Raptors did it. Think about it, the way the hand is cutted is the same way as Arnold's hand was when Ellie found it in the shed.
    In fact, if the Raptors landed on San Diego and nobody noticed them, it could have been an awesome sub-plot.

However, the theory regarding this on JP-Legacy is that the Raptors killed the crew but then jumped into the ocean and drowned. Seems a stupid way to die for such intelligent animals....
  • edited February 2011
    it was the mysterious *drums* PLOT HOLE!
    There are some plot holes out there in the Universe sucking everything inside, even logic.
    Rumors say there are also plot holes in the bermuda triangle sucking air planes, ships and reasonable explanations inside.
    Beware of the HOLE!
  • edited February 2011
    Mayby raptors snuck on the boat, attacked the crew, went into the cargo hole, and was killed and eaten by the T-Rex. Hell, I think the T-Rex could have eatten them whole which would explain why the raptors were never found.. Infact, you really only need one raptor to take down the people on that ship seeing how it has the element of surprise on it's hands.
  • edited February 2011
    okay. So unless an upcoming JP movie will explain this issue (by indicating that Malcolm and Harding weren't told the truth and beside the tyrannosaur their had been raptors on the boat which were then caught and then taken to Jurassic Park San Diego) it will remain a mystery or at least bad screenwriting.

But there's another thing I wonder about:
    in Jurassic Park the tour has been cancelled and Arnold says that the tour vehicles "are now returning to their depot". In the novelization of the film there are turning areas mentioned and although not seen in the movie it is obvious because the vehicles pass the T-rex paddock again but in the opposite direction. But when Hammond asks Muldoon to bring his grandchildren back Muldoon and Sattler reach the T-rex paddock from the wrong direction. Actually they didn't know where exactly the cars stopped so it would be reasonable to drive along the tour road until you find the explorers but then Muldoon should reach the T-rex paddock through the tunnel we saw earlier in the movie and NOT from the direction of the triceratops (and if that was the shorter way from the visitors center why did Arnold turn the tour vehicles to go back the longer route?).
  • edited February 2011
    If memory serves;

There was originally meant to be a scene that shows raptors onboard the ship. It was cut from the final film however, leaving the mysterious body parts in areas the T-Rex couldn't get to.

- Nitram
  • edited March 2011
    Nitram wrote: »
    If memory serves;

There was originally meant to be a scene that shows raptors onboard the ship. It was cut from the final film however, leaving the mysterious body parts in areas the T-Rex couldn't get to.

- Nitram

Give this man a cigar...or if he/she isn't a smoker, a roasted leg of T-Rex.
  • edited March 2011
    Its funny... last night I watched the movie with my son... he was all like "wait a minute... how did the T-Rex get into that little room?"
  • edited March 2011
    Actually you never see the other side of the bridge, just the one side so the rex could have crashed through it.
  • edited March 2011
    im convinced it was a flesh eating bacteria and therefore just a coincidence.
  • edited March 2011
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    I don't care what Koepp or Spielberg say, I will always think a group of Raptors did it. Think about it, the way the hand is cutted is the same way as Arnold's hand was when Ellie found it in the shed.
    In fact, if the Raptors landed on San Diego and nobody noticed them, it could have been an awesome sub-plot.

However, the theory regarding this on JP-Legacy is that the Raptors killed the crew but then jumped into the ocean and drowned. Seems a stupid way to die for such intelligent animals....

Yet that still makes more sense than the T-rex doing it.
  • edited March 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    NOPE! u guys are wrong, it actually said in the original script and stuff that it was raptors that stowed away on the ship which was a reference to the first novel and that was supposed to be showed in a scene on the ship but that never made it to the screen. What does make me wonder is where the raptors went... ooh that could make for a good comic miniseries! :D

This is a rumor that has been online for years, but I believe is fan-fueled. There's never been a version of the script, or any official source, that has given the "Raptors of the Ship" explanation, although it could be reconned later on, (and would make a good story as may have been mentioned in another thread ;)).

In the Making of TLW Book and Documentary, when the original endings were being discussed, I think they'd include something major like Raptors being involved.

Anyhoo, I personally love the whole Incident in San Diego; yes, the arrival of the Venture is an homage to Dracula, (as opposed to JP3, which gave us an homage...to...Peter Pan?), and what happened is supposed to be uncertain...we're looking at the aftermath of the animal attack and should be as unsettled as the characters.

What apparently happened was:

1. Captured male Rex kept on deck of Venture in the metal restraints that can be seen in background

2. Rex stops breathing, stimulant is administered

3. Rex wakes up, becomes a "locomotive", rampages around and eats the crew of the ship

4. With his last strength, an injured crewman lures the Rex into the cargo hold and closes the door on him before expiring

As for the hand on the wheel...it's a goof. There's no way the Rex could have eaten a guy who was that far inside without taking out the wheelhouse!
  • edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure the 'Venture' is supposed to be a nudge towards the ship by the same name from King Kong
  • edited March 2011
    It is, it's a double homage...

The Venture is the ship which brings a captured Kong to New York, and the captured Rex to San Diego

In Dracula the ship Demeter arrives in a London port with no one aboard, the crew having been killed, and carrying the Undead King in the cargo hold; the Venture arrives with no one aboard, the crew having been killed, and carrying the Tyrant King in the cargo hold...
  • edited March 2011
    I see, didn't know about that. Sorry :)
  • edited March 2011
    Trenchfoot wrote: »

I agree, I also think Raptors made it onboard. At least juveniles, they even could've made it into the city! I also think some crew did survive but scrambled around the deck to the bottom of the ship when the Rex went on rampage. Some went into the holding area where the Rex followed them and got himself caught again, and knock out by the boat crashing into the port.

I also think the Cargo Doors may have had a Security Override that closed the door after a certain time, given the dangerous cargo they where transporting. The T-Rex collapsed very near arriving San Diego, not mid-trip. Thats why the boat was speeding into the port to arrive before the Dino died.

About the High Hide, its no problem to have the High Hide without the car, he could just lock the ropes to where the HH is swinging from, some sort of hook, or and anchor type object and he left with the car.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.