15 minute video of Jurassic Park gameplay

2»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    RexMaster, given that you're a fan of the movies I was wondering if you could give your thoughts on a couple of continuity issues regarding The Lost World? I was watching the Nostalgia Critic's review of the film and if you agree with his thoughts or not, do you have any fan answers for the two continuity conflicts he raises, which are:

* Malcolm states that 3 people died on the Island during the first movie, when there were something like 5-6 deaths in fact.

* Again, Malcolm says that he has three children during the original and then in the sequel he only has one child, a daughter!

I'm not expecting you to have all the answers but I was curious because I know that when there are plot holes in my favorite films, I come up with my own plausible explanations via the magical wonderment that is imagination.
  • edited February 2011
    I loved Monkey Island, and I'm having fun with back to the future. But this style just doesn't feel like Jurassic Park to me. I can appreciate the leaps forward that Telltale made to make this, but it just doesn't look fun. Long quick-time events, bad sound design (T-Rex), and poor navigation interface(quick travel) does not scream entertaining Jurassic Park experience. And could we loose the comical death sequences, it demeans whatever characters your game has, and breaks any sense of tension I might have felt when you turn the characters into nothing more than low-poly crash test dummies over and over again.
  • edited February 2011
    Davies wrote: »
    RexMaster, given that you're a fan of the movies I was wondering if you could give your thoughts on a couple of continuity issues regarding The Lost World? I was watching the Nostalgia Critic's review of the film and if you agree with his thoughts or not, do you have any fan answers for the two continuity conflicts he raises, which are:

* Malcolm states that 3 people died on the Island during the first movie, when there were something like 5-6 deaths in fact.

* Again, Malcolm says that he has three children during the original and then in the sequel he only has one child, a daughter!

I'm not expecting you to have all the answers but I was curious because I know that when there are plot holes in my favorite films, I come up with my own plausible explanations via the magical wonderment that is imagination.

The reason of all this plotholes is simple: David Koepp. Good writer when it comes to action scenes but not so much when it comes to characters.
  • edited February 2011
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    The reason of all this plotholes is simple: David Koepp. Good writer when it comes to action scenes but not so much when it comes to characters.

Whenever I see David Koepp's name crop up during the opening credits of a film my mind has an automated association with the word mediocre. I've never hated watching his films, in fact I've often been reasonably entertained but never, ever enthralled. "M'eh" pretty much sums his writing up for me.
  • edited February 2011

Oh yes, well I definetaly disagree with his thoughts since The Lost World is one of my two favorite films of all time! He was just being harsh to entertain people but I promise you that he enjoyed the movie.
    Anyway, to answer your questions, first, for the three deaths there was only Gennaro who was eaten by the Tyrannosaur enclosure, Muldoon who was eaten by the raptor (CLEVER GIRL!), and finally Mr. Arnold who was also eaten by raptors when trying to restore power to the island, if you recall, and by saying this he is excluding the many deaths (including the one we witnessed at the beginning) where workers were killed in the making of the park and facilities. The many injuries to Malcolm and others made it seem like there were more deaths, but unless im missing some obvious deaths in the first film, then here is your answer for the first question.
    For the second question, that is a harder one to answer. Malcolm had three kids that were mentioned but the reason Kelly is even in the film is in respect to Crichton's second novel. In the novel, two kids who are friends with Richard Levine (not in movie obviously), Kelly and Arby, who are super smart and have skipped a few grades in school. They find the location of the second island but then are told to go home after all of thier hard work. They then decide to stow away on the trailers and end up at "Site B", same as in the movie (only Kelly who is Malcolm's kid), but since the storyline was completely different in the movie, they had to add a kid to make you worry for her like you did for the children in the first film. This is why they feature only one child of Malcolm in the film out of his three, which he obviously had with different wives since hes "always on the lookout for a future ex-Mrs. Malcolm".
    Hope this helped so you can unravel the source of some frustrations from the films and so that you can learn to love them even more!!!!! Have fun and dont forget to get Telltale's new Jurassic Park game!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Whenever I see David Koepp's name crop up during the opening credits of a film my mind has an automated association with the word mediocre. I've never hated watching his films, in fact I've often been reasonably entertained but never, ever enthralled. "M'eh" pretty much sums his writing up for me.

He's a hit and miss director/writer most of the time. His only good script in my opinion is "Carlitos' Way", but even that is not a really good screenplay. DePalma and Pacino saved the film. It has some really brilliant directing, particularly the sequence shot at the train station.

However... Even with JP, which is my favorite movie of all times, I reckon that the script isn't that good and the characters aren't that well developed. As soon as one dies, the audience forgots them.
    And TLW is a mess, with so many wasted characters and opportunities...

I'm not too sure why Spielberg keeps working with him. I'm pretty sure that when he read the script for KOTCS he said "Yeah, fine. Whatever. Let's just film this so George can leave me be".
  • edited February 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    ...Insert lots o' thoughts here...

Good explanations, thanks. When I was a kid, I remember reading Crichton's The Lost World and enjoying it. Even though I've since forgotten many of the details, I can certainly remember thinking the book was much better than the film adaptation turned out to be.

Thinking about it I don't think I've seen the first jurassic Park film for around 10 years! I'll have to watch the trilogy again once the blu-ray set comes out in preparation for the game.
    He's a hit and miss director/writer most of the time. His only good script in my opinion is "Carlitos' Way"...

I've not actually seen Carlito's Way yet. *hangs head in shame* I've only just purchased DePalma's The Untouchables to watch, so I'll put it on the list after that. However, I do know that Scarface is pure cheesy-faced class.
    ...I'm pretty sure that when [Spielberg] read the script for KOTCS he said "Yeah, fine. Whatever. Let's just film this so George can leave me be".

I suspect after Spielberg and Harrison's favorite script by Frank Darabont was dropped, the above is probably literally true :(
  • edited February 2011

If I may answer. I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan as well.
    Malcolm states only three because he only witnessed/cared about three of them. That's Gennaro, Muldoon, and Mr. Arnold. He wasn't there for when the worker died at the begining and he sure doens't care about Nedry. He may be aware that there were other deaths, but he only really cared about those three so he only mentioned those three.

Yes he does say he has three children. But he also says that he has been married several times. Who's to say that all three children were with the same woman? The other two may be living with their mothers. While Kelly was the one to stay with Malcolm.

I have watched the review and even as a hardcore fan I agree with a lot he says and I also find it very funny. But, most of the things he mentioned were nit-picky and were really only chosen to make fun of the movie. His video are supposed to be comedy before anything else after all.
  • edited February 2011
    If I may answer. I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan as well.
    Malcolm states only three because he only witnessed/cared about three of them. That's Gennaro, Muldoon, and Mr. Arnold. He wasn't there for when the worker died at the begining and he sure doens't care about Nedry. He may be aware that there were other deaths, but he only really cared about those three so he only mentioned those three.

Yes he does say he has three children. But he also says that he has been married several times. Who's to say that all three children were with the same woman? The other two may be living with their mothers. While Kelly was the one to stay with Malcolm.

I have watched the review and even as a hardcore fan I agree with a lot he says and I also find it very funny. But, most of the things he mentioned were nit-picky and were really only chosen to make fun of the movie. His video are supposed to be comedy before anything else after all.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
  • edited February 2011
    ...most of the things he mentioned were nit-picky and were really only chosen to make fun of the movie. His video are supposed to be comedy before anything else after all.

Oh, I know that. I only mentioned the video because I was interested in hearing a decent explanation for the continuity issues, not to bash on Jurassic Park.
  • edited February 2011
    Awesome vid. I love those death sequences.. the first game from Telltale that you can actually lose haha.
  • edited February 2011
    Wow.. you actually had balls to let a kid get eaten by The T-Rex.
  • edited February 2011
    She's a teenager. She can handle it. lol
  • edited February 2011
    bah no Jeff Goldblum, to bad, that guy was freaking hilarious. You cant have Jurassic park without some over the top hilarious guy.

Like the toilet scene, where he comments. When you gotta go, you gotta go haha.
  • edited February 2011
    I think if I was a Jurassic Park fan, I'd love this footage. Looks a lot more playable than BTTF. I don't really get the complaints.
  • edited February 2011
    I see that they are playing it on Xbox 360. Thus it's basically confirmed for consoles.
  • edited February 2011
    Telekill wrote: »
    I see that they are playing it on Xbox 360. Thus it's basically confirmed for consoles.

I repeat, they are using a wired X-box controller, wich was hooked up to the PC most companies do that when testing the game, for controller compatibility.
  • edited February 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    I think if I was a Jurassic Park fan, I'd love this footage. Looks a lot more playable than BTTF. I don't really get the complaints.

Because where there is the Internet; there are geeks; where there are geeks there are complaints; where there are complaints there is the Internet.

And so goes the circle of life.
    CircleOfLife.jpg
    One day my son, you too will become a moaning git on the Internet

Icedhope wrote: »
    I repeat, they are using a wired X-box controller, wich was hooked up to the PC most companies do that when testing the game, for controller compatibility.

Hey, I said that first. Give credit where credit's due! j/k
  • edited February 2011
    Its the CIIIRRRCLEEEE OF LLIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!!

...... it rules us all.
  • edited February 2011
    Scar4.jpg

Join me, and you'll never moan AGAAAIIIIINNNN!
  • edited February 2011
    ball%252Ccat%252Cdisco%252Cmicrophone%252Cmusic%252Cphotoshop%252Crock%252Csinging%252Cyawn-966fbd9acbd5b522693a35ac78b3334c_m.jpg
    And so at last it was revealed where TTG had sourced the new T-Rex roar from...
  • edited March 2011
    Can't agree there, I don't like the removal of so much player action and control, and the inclusion of quick-time events. I felt pretty sad watching it.

And I disagree with you there, as Heavy Rain is my top fave PS3 title.
  • edited March 2011
    leon101 wrote: »
    And I disagree with you there, as Heavy Rain is my top fave PS3 title.

Heavy Rain is indeed awesome but I would have to concede that it's a game you either "get" or you don't. Personally, I thought it was a huge leap forward within medium (and admittedly, maybe a few tip toes backwards).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.