Marty swearing...

When I first saw the cartoony style of the game, I had fears that a lot would be toned down to make it appropriate for all audiences. That fear was initially put to rest when the revisit of the first time travel experiment came up and Doc proclaimed, "When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're gonna see some serious shit." However, that fear has returned. The worst we've heard from Marty is "What the hell is that?!" In the movies, Marty has used, on different occasions, "Bastards!", "He's an asshole!", "You son of a bitch!", etc. In the game, most of Marty's "rude" comments have been reduced to "Crap!" And frankly, when Doc arrived and smashed into the back of Kid's limo in 1986A, that would have been the absolute perfect time for a McFly patented "Holy shit!!" scream. Please TellTale...you've proven you don't want to censor the game, so don't censor the game. Marty needs to belt out at LEAST a "Holy shit" when something really bad happens.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    When I first saw the cartoony style of the game, I had fears that a lot would be toned down to make it appropriate for all audiences. That fear was initially put to rest when the revisit of the first time travel experiment came up and Doc proclaimed, "When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're gonna see some serious shit." However, that fear has returned. The worst we've heard from Marty is "What the hell is that?!" In the movies, Marty has used, on different occasions, "Bastards!", "He's an asshole!", "You son of a bitch!", etc. In the game, most of Marty's "rude" comments have been reduced to "Crap!" And frankly, when Doc arrived and smashed into the back of Kid's limo in 1986A, that would have been the absolute perfect time for a McFly patented "Holy shit!!" scream. Please TellTale...you've proven you don't want to censor the game, so don't censor the game. Marty needs to belt out at LEAST a "Holy shit" when something really bad happens.

I'm not really sure that's a big problem. Although I absolutely love the Back to the Future movies ever since my childhood, I don't really like cursing so for me it's a relief. But I'm cool with your concern. He did curse a lot more in the movies (something I had never really noticed as I was too drawn into the movie and characters to realize). But I've always thought it odd when people voice that they're POed or concerned that there isn't enough cursing in something claiming that this somehow makes the material for children (not just you; another example is an early issue of TMNT in the late 80's when readers called Eastman and Laird sell-outs, referencing that the turtles starting saying, "Crap" or "UT OH/uh oh"). I'm not sure I understand how less cursing makes something "kiddy-fied," or why a character has to always curse and can't have a larger vocabulary. I think overusing cursing, much like any words, can dull the impact the word needs when delivered. However for you, I believe the concern is instead one of questioning the faithfulness to the source material?

I'm not sure I've heard Marty say "Heavy" very much either, but I've heard or read somewhere on this site that TellTale purposely tried not to overuse the catch phrases - which makes me glad as overusing them may also dull their impact.
  • edited February 2011
    He said "Poor bastard" once, I remember, in Episode 2. I can't remember when, however; I think it might have been when he was reading one of the characitures.
  • edited February 2011
    Pretty sure Marty's dropped a couple of J bombs as well. Aside from that not too much cursing....oh well.
  • edited February 2011
    They wanted to tone down the "R" rated language. Since games are held to a higher standard than movies made 25 years ago.
  • edited February 2011
    They wanted to tone down the "R" rated language. Since games are held to a higher standard than movies made 25 years ago.

You know, cause only kids play video games. :rolleyes: I hate that kinda thinking personally.
  • edited February 2011
    A discussion only Americans can have... :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2011
    It relates to presenting a mood authentic to the movies. It's not that we love our curse words. (We do, though.) It's that, they said such things in the movies, and doing so sparingly in the games would help authenticity sell the "feel". The movies are very family friendly and yet it's amazing, the curse words used. It's not gratuitous, it's kept at a modest and fairly realistic amount, given the unrealistic situations they are said in response to. Unless the game is quoting something directly from the movie, like in Marty's nightmare at the begining, I actually think no cursing is needed at all. That said, I'd rather Marty not say "Crap!" because that reeks of censorship. If he's going to curse, have him curse, don't give him watered down curse words that aren't true to his character. If he's not going to curse, just have him say "uh-oh". I enjoy the game a lot, but it does make my eyes roll when it sounds like I'm listening to a movie with language that's been edited for cable tv.
  • edited March 2011
    Well havent you seen seen the movies? Marty Mcfly is always like that! That is just the person that he is! It would be so weird to change that part of him!
  • edited March 2011

I'm American and I find this conversation to be really weird. "Asshole", "hell", "shit", and "bastard" are maybe horrible, profane words to 5 year olds. I don't think he ever said anything that would have to be censored on network TV. Obviously there would be words to raise an issue about, but Marty never says them.

Secondly I find it weird because its a strange thing to care about. Its not like Marty's character was written as a foul mouth, he just happened to swear a few times. If he doesn't happen to swear a few times in the game, who cares?

I found it a little weird in the game to hear the Doc swear, just because the artistic style of the game is a little like a children's cartoon, but despite that the game isn't really meant for children so its not a problem.
  • edited March 2011
    redfish wrote: »
    I'm American and I find this conversation to be really weird. "Asshole", "hell", "shit", and "bastard" are maybe horrible, profane words to 5 year olds. I don't think he ever said anything that would have to be censored on network TV. Obviously there would be words to raise an issue about, but Marty never says them.

Secondly I find it weird because its a strange thing to care about. Its not like Marty's character was written as a foul mouth, he just happened to swear a few times. If he doesn't happen to swear a few times in the game, who cares?

I found it a little weird in the game to hear the Doc swear, just because the artistic style of the game is a little like a children's cartoon, but despite that the game isn't really meant for children so its not a problem.
    Your point is well taken, but on American TV lines such as Doc's "...you're gonna see some serious shit" have to be--and indeed are--bleeped out. As absurd as it seems to the rest of the world, this stuff IS perceived as offensive by some people over here (who frankly really need to get their priorities in order). It's no wonder that, since Telltale wants so badly to reach out to the "average" gamer, it'd minimize the swearing. Shame, though.
  • edited March 2011
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Your point is well taken, but on American TV lines such as Doc's "...you're gonna see some serious shit" have to be--and indeed are--bleeped out. As absurd as it seems to the rest of the world, this stuff IS perceived as offensive by some people over here (who frankly really need to get their priorities in order). It's no wonder that, since Telltale wants so badly to reach out to the "average" gamer, it'd minimize the swearing. Shame, though.

The FCC wouldn't require that in a normal time slot, they only have a policy of fining if the context is adult and its in a time slot aimed at children or family viewing. "Asshole", "shit", "bastard", etc. are said regularly on TV. The FCC even let Bono get away with saying "fuck" several times.

If it was censored out it was done voluntarily to appeal to a broader audience. Which is stupid in itself, because you'd think they'd market BTTF to the audience that liked the original movie.
  • edited March 2011
    I don't care if he swears or not... Also the "pssshhh Americans" comments are really old we are probably one of the most diverse nations in the world... Suggesting something is typical American is kind of silly.
  • edited March 2011

What, being faithful to the source material?... :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2011

I was thinking the same thing. I was actually really surprised he dropped the J bomb in the game due to this, even though I knew it was in the movie.

I've never heard using Christ's name as an expletive called the J-Bomb before. Think I might use that from now on.
  • edited March 2011
    It relates to presenting a mood authentic to the movies. It's not that we love our curse words. (We do, though.) It's that, they said such things in the movies, and doing so sparingly in the games would help authenticity sell the "feel". The movies are very family friendly and yet it's amazing, the curse words used. It's not gratuitous, it's kept at a modest and fairly realistic amount, given the unrealistic situations they are said in response to. Unless the game is quoting something directly from the movie, like in Marty's nightmare at the begining, I actually think no cursing is needed at all. That said, I'd rather Marty not say "Crap!" because that reeks of censorship. If he's going to curse, have him curse, don't give him watered down curse words that aren't true to his character. If he's not going to curse, just have him say "uh-oh". I enjoy the game a lot, but it does make my eyes roll when it sounds like I'm listening to a movie with language that's been edited for cable tv.

I like the word crap. Otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to mostly agree. ;-)
    I didn't think it needed lots of cursing through out to make it entertaining, and since the original movies were family friendly with a surprising amount of cursing (and wouldn't you if something like seeing your best friend gunned down by Lebian terrorists or etc?) and I enjoyed them so much, the cursing actually went over my head so much that I never realized it had so much, so I never even noticed the lack of cursing while playing the games. The movies seemed to only have most of the cursing during really tense or excited, etc, scenes for Marty, etc, so maybe this is still staying true to the source material? I dunno. I don't know if he ever said "crap" in the movies, but I have to admit it seemed odd. I really didn't like the J-Bomb being dropped in either the movie or game, but otherwise I really have no complaints. I thought the game, like the movies, have been very enjoyable and entertaining in their own ways.
  • edited March 2011

I think it's because in America (not sure what country we're comparing America to though), since it's past is strongly founded in religion, the country still has a lot of people that are offended by these words (this may take a history lesson I don't have time to write nor you all to read). Although I also don't like these words, I'm not offended by simply hearing them (they're just words, after all, and I feel society alone is what has maligned them; it's not like there's a list of "do not use" words in the Bible, etc), but what irritates me about my country of America is that our people choose to allow every little exercised right their fellow citizen has to bother them and then they have to become very hostile and have it censored or the right taken away for everyone else. I could go on a rant about it, but simply put: both religious and non-religious, strict and loose, and etc and etc keeping getting offended by the other and raising a stink about it for no reason. It's sad and childish, really.

Paragraph 2: I wholeheartedly agree. ;-) Why should we let anything bother us and break our cool? It's still a very good game.

Paragraph 3: I agree. I was personally surprised too. Especially with Marty's dropping the J-Bomb, but I think that's just because A) I'm Christian and B) I'm not used to Jesus being mentioned in video games in general. Nice though since I've always thought there nothing wrong with acknowledging and celebrating religion of any kind in entertainment and fiction.
  • edited March 2011
    If they're going to replace the swear-words, they should do it a la "Funky Pete" from Shaun of the Dead. "What the funk, Doc? Why are you acting like such a prink?"
  • edited March 2011
    If they're going to replace the swear-words, they should do it a la "Funky Pete" from Shaun of the Dead. "What the funk, Doc? Why are you acting like such a prink?"

Best over dubbing ever:

The Big Lebowski on TNT or some such station.... "They peed on your valued rug, Dude."
  • edited March 2011
    Also from Lebowski: "Do you see what happens when you find [or possibly fight] a stranger in the alps?"
  • edited March 2011
    doggans wrote: »
    Also from Lebowski: "Do you see what happens when you find [or possibly fight] a stranger in the alps?"

F****** LOL I forgot about that I guess.
  • edited March 2011
    I think it's because in America (not sure what country we're comparing America to though), since it's past is strongly founded in religion, the country still has a lot of people that are offended by these words (this may take a history lesson I don't have time to write nor you all to read). Although I also don't like these words, I'm not offended by simply hearing them (they're just words, after all, and I feel society alone is what has maligned them; it's not like there's a list of "do not use" words in the Bible, etc), but what irritates me about my country of America is that our people choose to allow every little exercised right their fellow citizen has to bother them and then they have to become very hostile and have it censored or the right taken away for everyone else. I could go on a rant about it, but simply put: both religious and non-religious, strict and loose, and etc and etc keeping getting offended by the other and raising a stink about it for no reason. It's sad and childish, really.

Paragraph 2: I wholeheartedly agree. ;-) Why should we let anything bother us and break our cool? It's still a very good game.

Paragraph 3: I agree. I was personally surprised too. Especially with Marty's dropping the J-Bomb, but I think that's just because A) I'm Christian and B) I'm not used to Jesus being mentioned in video games in general. Nice though since I've always thought there nothing wrong with acknowledging and celebrating religion of any kind in entertainment and fiction.

Europe is strongly founded in religion also, all of Europe was once referred to as 'Christendom'. The historical issue you refer to is that a lot of early American settlers were Puritans, who had a bit higher standards for morality than the people they left. But I don't think the early Puritans are really is what defines the difference between the opinions on morals between Europe and America.

My point anyway that the particular language we're talking about is used on TV and also is commonplace in the work environment and in every day adult life. The only place they might be disallowed is in front of children. There are much more worse words, which wouldn't even be polite in adult company.

People should of course learn to be more adult about the use of language and not get offended by everything ; but the idea that your right to speak freely is being taken away is misstatement I think. The only issue in law has ever been speech over public airwaves; while private speech is guaranteed by the Constitution. And even as such as public airwaves have been governed, it hasn't been as strict as people imagine.

There are much bigger issues over free speech in other countries. Violent video games are banned in some places in Europe, and Europe also has harsh hate speech laws. In some European countries its illegal to form a political party that espouses points of view that are considered hateful. In Germany, use of Nazi imagery is illegal. All of those things would be unthinkable in the US.
  • edited March 2011
    I guess he must have grown up in the 3 months since the last movie. He DID grow up during the movies anyway, he won't react to "chicken" the way he did in the past.
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »
    Best over dubbing ever:

The Big Lebowski on TNT or some such station.... "They peed on your valued rug, Dude."

The best overdub ever is contained in this link.
  • edited March 2011
    The best overdub ever is contained in this link.

What exactly is a "monday to friday plane?" lol :D

Dubbing is so funny because it just draws MORE attention to what they were saying.
  • edited March 2011
    Only thing that bugged me is Marty saying " get out " in the game, where as in the original BTTF movie he says to young George Mc'fly when he realises he is a writer " Get out of town "..

Also, how come Marty dosen't say " that's heavy " anymore ?
  • edited March 2011
    Marty and Doc both say "that sucks," which to me says this game is directed to a gaming crowd and isn't watered down for kids.
  • edited March 2011
    There's not enough cursing? Well ballbags.
  • edited March 2011
    If you're going to have him drop a bomb, have him go for the gold.

Even
    Kid's crash with the "Shiiiiiiii"
    felt a little too safe for me. Like when you're a kid and you don't want to get in trouble for swearing, so you avoid saying the full word.
  • edited March 2011
    Only thing that bugged me is Marty saying " get out " in the game, where as in the original BTTF movie he says to young George Mc'fly when he realises he is a writer " Get out of town "..

Also, how come Marty dosen't say " that's heavy " anymore ?

I could've sworn that I heard him say heavy a couple of times during my playthroughs.
  • edited March 2011
    He does say heavy a couple of times, but often during "optional" dialog.

I don't know why Marty couldn't belt out a "Holy shit" or two when Kid's calling him a "son of a bitch" every five minutes. :p
  • edited March 2011
    Lovin' The Big Lebowski references, y'all :D

Language isn't a big deal at all for me - I don't care if my kids hear it, & it's not like I could really do much about it if I did. I'm hoping the game will stick to the movie format. Marty didn't spit out "obscenities" like some characters of other films, but he was certainly no "saint" either. So, again, I'm keeping positive & holding faith that TT will keep as close to the movie format (the needed aspects anyway) as much as possible.
  • edited March 2011
    Europe is strongly founded in religion also, all of Europe was once referred to as 'Christendom'. The historical issue you refer to is that a lot of early American settlers were Puritans, who had a bit higher standards for morality than the people they left. But I don't think the early Puritans are really is what defines the difference between the opinions on morals between Europe and America.

My point anyway that the particular language we're talking about is used on TV and also is commonplace in the work environment and in every day adult life. The only place they might be disallowed is in front of children. There are much more worse words, which wouldn't even be polite in adult company.

People should of course learn to be more adult about the use of language and not get offended by everything ; but the idea that your right to speak freely is being taken away is misstatement I think. The only issue in law has ever been speech over public airwaves; while private speech is guaranteed by the Constitution. And even as such as public airwaves have been governed, it hasn't been as strict as people imagine.

There are much bigger issues over free speech in other countries. Violent video games are banned in some places in Europe, and Europe also has harsh hate speech laws. In some European countries its illegal to form a political party that espouses points of view that are considered hateful. In Germany, use of Nazi imagery is illegal. All of those things would be unthinkable in the US.

I'm not sure about the unthinkableness in the US as I have no knowledge of such. But there is strong anti-hate laws in the US, although I do not know if they are as strict as the ones that you speak of.

The puritans' extreme moral values is a big part of what I was talking about. You nailed it on the head. America continued to keep strong values like these on up into the mid 1900's or so maybe (speaking as someone who has studied history and spoken to those alive during most of the early to mid 1900's, not that I would know personally). Some people tell me about the first expletives or nudity or etc on TV being scandalous and shocking and remember the television stations having complaints coming in and such. What I'm saying is that while both countries/cultures/areas were founded on religion, that it's simply taken a while for America to slowly remove itself from the strong Puritan and Christian moral values that heavily influenced the people here long ago. Especially in the Southern states on the East coast where there still remains a strong Christian religious presence. To many people here expletives/cursing are still frowned upon for adults - although it is common place for many others as well living in the some area. And it isn't just the religious that frown upon it. It's considered unprofessional in many work places in the South (I got a job once because the last employee was fired over excessive profanities while talking to customers). This may be because of a bad attitude and not the words themselves or it may be because it will alienate a business's religious or easily offended customers, thus hurting business. Probably the latter.

But you're right in that people should not allow themselves to be so offended by such. There's no reason to allow one's self to be offended to the point of reacting badly by anything, really, as it is better not to allow our emotions to compromise our mental clarity. If one doesn't like something it can always be discussed calmly. I have to agree, although I do not prefer excessive expletives, that people make too big a deal over certain things. There are far more important matters one can put his energy into, such as discouraging hate crimes by educating and promoting loving one's fellow man and etc.
  • edited March 2011
    Neumi wrote: »
    I guess he must have grown up in the 3 months since the last movie. He DID grow up during the movies anyway, he won't react to "chicken" the way he did in the past.

Ha! You're right! That's hilarious. My own girlfriend doesn't even like it when I say something "sucks" or "crap" or "screwed." Maybe Jennifer is changing him a bit? ;-) lol

EDIT: Well, she lets me say crap and she uses it too, but that's unimportant. I have other peers that ask me not to say crap though, lol.
  • edited March 2011
    Smoothgrh wrote: »
    Marty and Doc both say "that sucks," which to me says this game is directed to a gaming crowd and isn't watered down for kids.

Strange thing is, when I was a kid "sucks" was a bad word but today I don't even know why and use it like any other non-offensive word in my vocabulary. I hear it said in children's cartoons all the time on Nickelodeon and every where else. Only my girlfriend - and maybe some elderly church goers or my pastor or someone I don't speak to much anyway - seems to find it offensive. I'll take it out of my vocab for her, but don't expect it not to pop into one of my character's dialog in the comics and other stuff I create, you know? Not until I find out why it's wrong. Seems like you might know? If it's dirty, or for it to be easier for me to know you replied, PM it to me. Thanks, Smoothgrh :-)
  • edited March 2011
    He does say heavy a couple of times, but often during "optional" dialog.

I don't know why Marty couldn't belt out a "Holy shit" or two when Kid's calling him a "son of a bitch" every five minutes. :p

I do have to admit that it does seem odd since Marty said that a lot in the movies.
  • edited March 2011
    I don't like profanity. It's not that I find the words themselves offensive, it's that I find the attitude of the person using them (complete apathy towards whether they're being offensive or not) to be offensive. It also shows a lack of vocabulary.

That said, I'm happy both ways. If they curse, it's true to the characters, if they don't, I don't care or notice, and I kinda prefer it that way anyway. The last point I'll agree with though is that 'watered-down' cursing is an unnecessary change to the characters.
  • edited March 2011
    I will say, if Marty DOES belt out a "Holy sh*t!" it does need to be at an appropriate moment. Libyans firing machine guns at him and then minutes later getting ready to hit the DeLorean with an RPG qualify as "holy sh*t" moments.

*censored for all audiences. lol
  • edited March 2011
    Well I admit, I would like Marty to have a lil more profanity. It was good in the movies and not cheap trash language. It fit the parts.

As for Telltale. COMON! They DID make Llyod say "serious shit" which they didnt do in the movie itself! =D
  • edited March 2011
    Mysticales wrote: »
    Well I admit, I would like Marty to have a lil more profanity. It was good in the movies and not cheap trash language. It fit the parts.

As for Telltale. COMON! They DID make Llyod say "serious shit" which they didnt do in the movie itself! =D

Yes he did. That was the original line. Now, if you watch the movies on something like TNT or something similar, he'll say "serious stuff" instead.
  • edited March 2011
    Mysticales wrote: »
    They DID make Llyod say "serious shit" which they didnt do in the movie itself! =D

This is one of the classic lines in the first movie. And to be honest, when it happened it the game, I almost thought they just pulled that line of audio directly from the movie. Anyone else get that? I know I'm probably wrong here, but is it possible they just wanted that line to sound perfect?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.