Surfin the Highway Reprint news!

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Maybe this is the one:

anim_3D-bluesbrothers.gif
  • edited March 2007
    "Surfin the highway" worth $700??!!!

Holy crap on a pistachio flavoured swizzle stick!

I bought my copy for $10 from a comic dealer friend just after I discovered the original hit the road game, must have been 1994, I think.. He told me it was a fairly limited edition, and might one day be worth something... Still in the sealed comic preserving bag thingie, too (although I have taken it out to read it a couple of times, taking care not to break the spine, or crease it :) )

Now I just have to find where I hid it away...

I guess I'll keep it for my little girl, so that she might one day appreciate her dad's twisted sense of humour :D . Assuming she doesnt just sell it for a gazillion dollars!!

Pete
  • edited March 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Steve I guess all the original publishers have gone out of business.

How devilishly convenient.:p
  • edited March 2007
    Can't wait for this to be true... as I imagine 1000's of other as well.

I couldn't afford it back in High School, and instead bought it as a present for my friend... I look at his and pine to this day. And with extras... yes please :D I'll pre-order now, WHEN CAN I GIVE MY MONEY AWAY?!?!
  • edited March 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    How devilishly convenient.:p

"That's just the ridiculous lucky break we need!"
  • edited March 2007
    I just bought this book from a guy in Norway.. apparently he doesn't know how rare it is, I got it for around $30! :D I'll post a picture of it when I get it.

EDIT - I forgot to mention, the reason why he charges "so much" for it is that he's never actually read it.. he got it as a present way back he says and it's supposedly damn near mint. I'll see when I get it.. this is pretty cool hehe :D
  • edited March 2007
    Laffer, you lucky devil!
  • edited March 2007
    If anyone's interested, I put my copy up on ebay...

I hate to sell it, but I'm going to Vegas and need money. No reserve, but a ridiculous buy it now price (*shrug* - someone might be willing to pay it based on the recent completed auctions).
  • edited March 2007
    shame! shame! shame!
  • edited April 2007
    I hope the re-print comes in Hardcover and isn't ridiculously expensive!

I know Steve might wanna get in on some of that ebay $700 action

Woot!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I know Steve might wanna get in on some of that ebay $700 action

He does sometimes (although I don't think he charges $700 for them ;)).

I remember reading feedback from an ebay buyer who didn't realize he was buying the book from Steve Purcell, and was surprised to receive it with a personalized Sam & Max sketch on the flyleaf. :)
  • edited April 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Maybe I should trick Steve into signing my copy, and then sell it on eBay.

Would that be wrong? :p

Since a re-print is coming out with more content why not? It'll be more then enough to cover the cost of getting the new one.

Plus I don't see many people wanting to pay such high prices for it when they can get a cheaper, updated version.

It's like those 3 Sam & Max VHS tapes. Once the show gets released on DVD the tapes will be pretty much worthless.
  • edited April 2007
    Since a re-print is coming out with more content why not? It'll be more then enough to cover the cost of getting the new one.

Plus I don't see many people wanting to pay such high prices for it when they can get a cheaper, updated version.

It's like those 3 Sam & Max VHS tapes. Once the show gets released on DVD the tapes will be pretty much worthless.

Assuming there will be a reprint and DVD. :p

One can only hope...
  • edited April 2007
    I'm pretty positive it will happen one day. Especially with the sucess of season one. And the fact that nelvana let gametap air the show shows that they aren't totally into locking it up and throwing away the key.
  • edited April 2007
    I would love to see a reprint of Surfin' the Highway that included all of the comics not featured in the first one. I've purchased most of thems separately, but I don't think I'm ever going to get my hands on the Fox Kids magazines with S&M comics in them. I've seen scans of them on the internet, but it would be nice to have them in print. For whoever is interested http://www.mycomicshop.com/megastore/ has some Sam and Max comics available, including the first 1987 Fishwrap one.

Off topic: Does anybody know why "Fools die on Friday" is not on Gametap? If I remember correctly it was on the original release list they put out. The only information I see for that episode is on Nelvana's website.
    edited April 2007
    Off topic: Does anybody know why "Fools die on Friday" is not on Gametap? If I remember correctly it was on the original release list they put out. The only information I see for that episode is on Nelvana's website.

A few weeks ago someone at GameTap told me that they wouldn't be airing this one due to content issues, but he didn't know the specifics.

Does anyone know what that episode's about? It makes me curious. :p
  • edited April 2007
    The only detailed information I could find was at the link below:

http://www.nelvana.com/shows/episodes_template.asp?sid=39

Now I just want to see it even more. I never saw it when it aired (or any of the other ones either). I was 20 at the time, so I really didn't pay much attention to cartoons. I didn't even know there was a cartoon until I stumbled on the VHS tapes.
    edited April 2007
    Maybe they thought showing a plane being hijaked over New York City was too touchy?

Based on that description, it's the only reason I can think of.
  • edited April 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Maybe they thought showing a plane being hijaked over New York City was too touchy?

Based on that description, it's the only reason I can think of.
    It's a blimp. And the episode has a Hindenburg scenario from what I remember. But, then again, most cartoons did at one point in their run. Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy just reran theirs.
  • edited April 2007
    I didn't even know there was a cartoon until I stumbled on the VHS tapes.

and I didn't even know there were cartoons before I stumbleded upon them on the internet. I think somebody must have droped them there :o
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    I don't remember any episodes being so edgy that GameTap wouldn't air them. If they air Space Ghost episodes, and our games, (neither of which carry content that objectionable to begin with) surely a Fox Kids cartoon is safe? Crazy. I want to hunt down this episode now.
  • edited April 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I don't remember any episodes being so edgy that GameTap wouldn't air them. If they air Space Ghost episodes, and our games, (neither of which carry content that objectionable to begin with) surely a Fox Kids cartoon is safe? Crazy. I want to hunt down this episode now.
    Keep in mind that this was Fox Kids in the mid-90s. There's a lot of cartoons that got pulled out of DVDs from that era because of things like 9-11.

Case and Point, Family Guy.
  • edited April 2007
    I've come to the realization that this episode and a handful of other don't exist anymore except for the masters at Nelvana and in a box of old tapes in someones garage packed away in the corner
  • edited April 2007
    It's too bad. As someone who only discovered Sam and Max a few months ago and doesn't subscribe to GameTap, I'd love to be able to watch the old shows, but have no way of doing so.

Here's hoping for a DVD box set.
  • edited April 2007
    It's too bad. As someone who only discovered Sam and Max a few months ago and doesn't subscribe to GameTap, I'd love to be able to watch the old shows, but have no way of doing so.

Me too, I live in France so I can't subscribe to gametap :(
  • edited April 2007
    One Day...
    m59810683.jpg
  • MelMel
    edited April 2007

It'd be nice to have them on DVD.

Oh and Happy Birthday!! :) :)
  • edited April 2007
    One Day...
    m59810683.jpg

Dude! Don't scare me like that! I was able ready to run and get my debit card!
  • edited April 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    Dude! Don't scare me like that! I was able ready to run and get my debit card!

I would have run for my Credit Card if I hadn't of read "One day..." :P
  • edited April 2007
    Nag Disney for it

They purchased the Fox Kids library when they bought Fox Family channel
  • edited April 2007
    Wickywoo wrote: »
    Nag Disney for it

They purchased the Fox Kids library when they bought Fox Family channel

I'm pretty sure Nelvana have all the legal rights to re-release it.

Disney wouldn't have let them air on Gametap, and certainly wouldn't DVDise them.

Here!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    I don't think Fox owns the show, I think Nelvana or Sullivan Entertainment does.
  • edited April 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    I don't think Fox owns the show, I think Nelvana or Sullivan Entertainment does.

Ah, forgot about Sullivan... They produced the VHS. Perhaps we should contact them both? I doubt they'll release a DVD, if they don't think anyone will want them.
  • edited April 2007
    One Day...
    m59810683.jpg

Mmh... looks familiar...
  • edited April 2007
    Indeed! :P
  • edited April 2007
    haha Laserschwert is the man! I'd like to see him design the sam and max season 1 cover! unless steve purcells doin the cover..but maybe the manual/back cover inside!
  • edited May 2007
    Armakuni wrote: »
    I just bought this book from a guy in Norway.. apparently he doesn't know how rare it is, I got it for around $30! :D I'll post a picture of it when I get it.

EDIT - I forgot to mention, the reason why he charges "so much" for it is that he's never actually read it.. he got it as a present way back he says and it's supposedly damn near mint. I'll see when I get it.. this is pretty cool hehe :D
    Well I just got it in the mail today! I'd almost given up on it since it was taking so long, figured it might have gotten lost during shipping.

Well.. what can I say.. it's damn near mint and certainly worth the 30 bucks I shelled out for it! :D :D
  • edited May 2007
    I hate you so much. So damn much...
  • edited May 2007
    Despite my enormous comic collection, I don't have any Sam and Max comics. Before the telltale series, my only exposure to the duo was Hit the Road, which I played for the first time about a year ago.

So if this is true, I'll have to snap it up.
  • edited May 2007
    Ill just kiss and cuddle my 3 signed and arted TPB's and hold my hard covered edition which is also signed and arted under my pillow with my 44 in case you guys get ideas... BTW I got one of the TPB's for only 15$ including shipping. So its all about timing XD
    Some lamer is on ebay selling the jpeg scans of this book btw. Jerk should be stopped.

Since 2 arts are almost water colored and 1 is not sam & max its a toyboxxx girl(if you know who that is you know purcell comics) here is a shot of one of my tpb. This is just one of the tiny pencils done in this book. All together there are 2 one big one small. enjoy! Ill try to scan my others but its so scary even touching them.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Kaldire/?action=view&current=MyArtFromSteve1.jpg
Sign in to comment in this discussion.