Surfin the Highway Reprint news!

Comments

• edited May 2007
    It's a wonderful book, I've had a lot of fun reading it. I wonder why I never found out about this book until recently.
  • edited June 2007
    It's too bad. As someone who only discovered Sam and Max a few months ago and doesn't subscribe to GameTap, I'd love to be able to watch the old shows, but have no way of doing so.

Here's hoping for a DVD box set.
    I've watched about half of them. You don't NEED to subscribe, though- I didn't.
  • edited June 2007
    With Shout Factory doing the DVD Box Set, you don't need to hope for it to happen, because it WILL happen, in 2008, when we all have Super Smash Bros. Brawl on our Wiis, with all the characters unlocked.
  • edited June 2007
    ^ Amen to that...
  • edited June 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    Ill just kiss and cuddle my 3 signed and arted TPB's and hold my hard covered edition which is also signed and arted under my pillow with my 44 in case you guys get ideas...

Yeah, well I'm going to get a .50 magnum someday! Beat that! :p
  • edited June 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    Ill just kiss and cuddle my 3 signed and arted TPB's and hold my hard covered edition which is also signed and arted under my pillow with my 44 in case you guys get ideas... BTW I got one of the TPB's for only 15$ including shipping. So its all about timing XD
    Some lamer is on ebay selling the jpeg scans of this book btw. Jerk should be stopped.

Since 2 arts are almost water colored and 1 is not sam & max its a toyboxxx girl(if you know who that is you know purcell comics) here is a shot of one of my tpb. This is just one of the tiny pencils done in this book. All together there are 2 one big one small. enjoy! Ill try to scan my others but its so scary even touching them.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Kaldire/?action=view&current=MyArtFromSteve1.jpg

Why hoard 3 copies? Share the wealth!
  • edited June 2007
    i'm excited for a reprint. was there a date yet?
    btw, i think this is my first reply. i'm jeremy.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    The copy of Surfin the Highway that we have here at work has Suda and... Ria (is that her name?) from Toybox as well. I wonder if Steve'll ever do another Toybox story. There was a good one with Santa who was actually a giant spider living in his skin. Also the one where the happy ice cream mayor melted and had bones. That was really gross and great.
  • edited June 2007
    "I hate Puddy the frozen dessert goon, Suda. He's such a pompous irritant. I want to slap his creamy head."
  • edited June 2007
    Sigh jake dont get me nervous... If Steve did another toyboxx story soon id go nuts!...btw where is spudvision! lol
    Also truthfully I owned the TPB when it released the first time. Later I bought one with a nice art in front from ebay, low and behold it was steve selling it. I told him how much of a fan of not just sam & max but all his art. (I even have some of what he calls his "horrid manual covers" for the dnd type pen and paper game called rune quest) My favorite is the duck with armor or the rat type creature blacksmith shown here
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Kaldire/ah85711.jpg

Anyway much later he sold me a TPB version of his book as well, but before that one sold and I got outbid.. so in my TPB he drew the hard back cover, known as the max head on fire.
    While im not rich enough to buy his paintings.. (grr I wanted "I hunger") I will always buy anything I can get my hands on that I CAN afford. Here is to you Steve!

Jake If you can get a pic of the toyboxx art let me know! Its very very rare to see anything other than an E-card or the old comics with single pics of the characters!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Kaldire/NocturnalsBack.jpg
    Ill work on scanning my book but I dont like taking them out of the case!

Edit: I want a poster of the art from the nocturnals back cover !
  • edited June 2007
    A reprint of Surfin the Highway (or something similar) would be so great...

It think there's a lot of people who would be interested if it was available at a "normal" price rather than the several hundred dollars that seem to be the current price point...
  • edited June 2007
    Seriously they only recently started selling for so much. The hard back is the only one that set me back for more than 50$ and thats modest priced. Like I said in another thread I got one TPB for 10$ after shipping. Just a lucky shot and I knew sam & max would get big again :P
    Also spudvision has been in the works forever but steve is busy as heck so who knows !
  • edited June 2007
    They printed some in hard cover? That would be grrrrrreat! :)
    edited June 2007
  • edited June 2007
    Jake wrote: »

NO FREAKING WAY!!!
    If this is a joke... I will hate you for the rest of my life, you know that, huh? :D

Btw... (asuming it's not a joke), I know it's probably a bit early to answer, but do you think it's possible that it will get out before the DVD's gets shipped? Saving me 10 bucks :p
    edited June 2007
    Hah nope. If it was coming out before the DVD we'd be taking orders. It'll be a bit, but we wanted to let people know.
  • edited June 2007
    *flinch*
  • edited June 2007
    You should put this in the blog so that... oh wait, you already did. Well then, lets sit back and watch this piece of news spread through the blogosphere like wildfire :)
  • edited June 2007
    OMFG NO WAY! I love you Telltale!
  • edited June 2007
    *Dances the happy jig*

--Erwin
  • edited June 2007
    So much stuff to order.... credit card dying.... Then let it die I say!
  • edited June 2007
    One more order once it becomes available for me!

*hurrys and gets that e-mail notification address*
  • edited June 2007
    I've had a copy of the collected Sam n Max for many a year, and I bought the sketchbook from here a few months back. Any point in me buying this one, or am I pretty covered in terms of content?

To be fair, it's probably more a question of 'when' than 'if' I'll buy it, though.
  • edited June 2007
    The Store wrote:
    the new edition will also contain extra Sam & Max content developed over the last decade, such as rarely seen comic stories, previously unreleased art, and a new cover.

ahem :)
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, Surfin the Highway was originally published a decade ago (crazy!), and though there haven't been any full length Sam & Max single issue comics since then, there have been many short 1-5 page stories they've appeared in, and lots of one-sheet promos and paintings. I don't know what exactly is going to go in, but I know that Steve Purcell is drawing from that material to add new stuff into the reprint.
  • edited June 2007
    Does Pixar know of this little side project of his?
  • edited June 2007
    Is this gonna be distributed into comic stores? cause it needs to be..would also raise awareness of the new games... 2004 was so depressing.. 2007 is the year of sam and max! being a fan for all those years is now paying off! woo hoo
    edited June 2007
    Maybe at some point, but it'll debut exclusively in Telltale's store.
  • edited June 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    Does Pixar know of this little side project of his?

I hope so. Then they'll see what a potential moneymaker the series can be and get started on that fanboy pipedream of a movie we all want to see.
  • edited June 2007
    I don't think Disney would approve, but here's hoping none the less!
  • edited June 2007
    Jake wrote: »

HUZZAH!!! HAPPY DAY!!! Yar, I'll have to buy at least two. One for me and one for my friend who lent me his original copy and I unfortunately lost :(
  • edited June 2007
    I so am buying two copies.. especially given the original is currently selling for 100 bucks.. bloody hell.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-COLLECTED-SAM-MAX-SURFIN-THE-HIGHWAY-Book-Purcell_W0QQitemZ170121767049QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3954QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bad time to be selling sam and max comics it would seem.. mwahahahaha
  • edited June 2007
    I'm definitely buying one, both for the new material and so that my copy of the original -- which was signed by Steve and has a drawing of Max making fun of my name -- can go back into its hermetically sealed container.

Hell, I might buy four or five copies, so I can roll around in them.
  • edited June 2007
    Nah you cant get 200$ for the TPB thats lude.. maybe fully arted and signed but even then.. I think the Hardback book can be worth that but no way on the TPB :P Sorry haha. I love sam & max but some people are just nuts on this. But yes please buy two.. and maybe 10-15 years from now it will sell too. But im not getting my stuff to sell XD Im collecting until I die. Its why telltale needs to make stickers and such. I want it telltale! Make it so!

:P
  • edited June 2007
    I wonder what the updated cover art would look like: A CGI Version of the original?
  • edited June 2007
    I wonder what the updated cover art would look like: A CGI Version of the original?

I'm hoping for a pastle painting of the pair in a very classy but iconic pose somewhere around the Desoto, but in no way similar to the cover art of the DVD disc coming out or the GameTap poster from before.
  • edited June 2007
    yeah. seemed a bit pricy to me too.. but then, they seldom come up. All I have is issue #1 which came with a bundle of other comics that I got for about 5bucks.. pretty sweet really.
  • edited June 2007
    Man, Telltale... this really makes me sad. I purchased 'Surfing' The Highway' a few years back as a collectors item from ebay. Since the book was out of print it cost me 150 CAN. Now seeing it's no longer going to be a collectors item I'm quite disappointed. Boo-urns. Boo-urns.

:(
  • edited June 2007
    kprojekt wrote: »
    Man, Telltale... this really makes me sad. I purchased 'Surfing' The Highway' a few years back as a collectors item from ebay. Since the book was out of print it cost me 150 CAN. Now seeing it's no longer going to be a collectors item I'm quite disappointed. Boo-urns. Boo-urns.

:(

This book will be a distinct item from the original, with newer content, so yours will still have collectible status.
  • edited July 2007
    So I'm guessing with the new material the book will be at least 200 pages or more?
    Didn't the original have close to 200?

I'm sure the new cover will be the most amazing thing. With what Steve's been doing art wise as of late, I'm pretty sure it'll be mind blowing and will have people screaming "poster print!"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.