Nima's Connection to Nublar?

TB3TB3
edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Pre-release materials for the game have mentioned that Nima has 'intimate knowledge' of Jurassic Park's 'island setting' - this seems to suggest she is familiar with Isla Nublar, yet in the trailer she seems unaware of the dinosaurs ('what kind of zoo is this!?').

Seems to me that Nima must have lived on or have had experience with Nublar at some point prior to InGen setting up shop, and this intrigues me. At the very least we might learn more about the island's 'pre-history', and it would be interesting if Nima has some observations to make on how the landscape of the park contrasts to how she remembers the island being.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In site b there was an old village on the island as well..so maybe
  • edited March 2011
    Maybe shes a foreign geologist. Those islands were used before for geological research if I'm not mistaken
  • edited March 2011
    Maybe she helped build the park biosyn hired her and yeah she didnt know anything about it thinking all the fences were for african predators and wht not
  • edited March 2011
    nagasadow wrote: »
    Maybe she helped build the park biosyn hired her and yeah she didnt know anything about it thinking all the fences were for african predators and wht not

Lol, Lions needing 30 feet wide moats?? I dont rememebr the novel dimensions for moats and fences, but they're pretty ridiculous for even the biggest pack of African predators
  • edited March 2011
    Bombillazo wrote: »
    Lol, Lions needing 30 feet wide moats?? I dont rememebr the novel dimensions for moats and fences, but they're pretty ridiculous for even the biggest pack of African predators

well she didnt have to dig the moat maybe she was on of the people that set up all the computer gear:rolleyes: or maybe her father was the mexican that ran the taco booth:eek:
  • edited March 2011
    nagasadow wrote: »
    or maybe her father was the mexican that ran the taco booth:eek:

LOL! that made me crack up XD

Im guessing, from her accent, she's central american, most bprobably from Costa Rica itself. maybe she IS related to a costa rican JP employee
  • edited March 2011
    hmmm.... I don't know if I have seen this pre-release material ... what does it say exactly?

Also it would be pretty interesting if as a kid her family would camp there or something.... before InGEN bought up the island.
  • edited March 2011
    she is a mystery :)
  • TB3TB3
    edited March 2011
    Well it does beg the question of if there were people living on Nublar before InGen's arrival - Hammond said it was 'leased' from the Costa Rican government, so was the island actually part of Costa Rica (as in, an actual territory complete with settlements and residents), or a sort of uninhabited 'asset' that the government were looking to lease to someone anyway.

The only comparable island in reality is Isla Cocos, which is fascinating - it's over three hundred miles offshore but has a long history including pirate treasure (there was considerable pirate activity in this region and over 350 tons of gold bullion is alleged to have been buried on Cocos), whaling, a failed colony, and finally being declared a National Park upon which only a small number of Costa Rican Rangers live.

Of course, we know the Five Deaths had some pre-Columban civilisation (or at least in the movieverse we suppose they do) but there's blanks waiting to be filled in - maybe Nima will give us some information to that effect.
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Also it would be pretty interesting if as a kid her family would camp there or something.... before InGEN bought up the island.

Hum... According to the novel Isla Nublar which means cloud island got this name because of the dense fog which is there most of the year. That's also why the Costarican government was surprised that "there was someone interested in the island at all."

So it seems that Isla Nublar wasn't a nice play to stay even before InGen started the Jurassic Park project.
  • edited March 2011
    I do kind of really like the idea of having a character familiar with the island BEFORE inGEN got their hands on it... its a pretty interesting concept... maybe she got stranded on there and figured a way off?

Maybe she has hunted there? Or trained for her job there?
  • edited March 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    Hum... According to the novel Isla Nublar which means cloud island got this name because of the dense fog which is there most of the year. That's also why the Costarican government was surprised that "there was someone interested in the island at all."

So it seems that Isla Nublar wasn't a nice play to stay even before InGen started the Jurassic Park project.

yeah, actually Nublar is a verb, not a noun, yet is the same word in English as the noun depending on the tense, if it is used in the present tense, it is "cloud", but if nublar is used as the past tense, it is "clouded", which is also an adjective/adverb. Its a very tricky word to translate to English really, but in Spanish it is always a verb...
  • TB3TB3
    edited October 2011
    Bumping a very old thread...

...in the preview footage, Miles Chadwick notes that Nima wants to 'screw Ingen', suggesting that she has a personal grudge against everyone's favourite bioengineering firm.

Again, prelim info notes that Nima has knowledge of Isla Nublar, but the game makes clear she is unaware of the park's purpose/inhabitants.

Put together, I'd like to resuggest my theory that Nima's family (and possibly other people as well) lived on Isla Nublar prior to Ingen's leasing of the island, which forced their eviction. It would be interesting indeed if the island was habitated to some degree, and would also provide Ingen with some pre-existing infrastructure (a dock and some roads at the very least) when they set up shop.

Any thoughts?
  • edited October 2011
    wish bones wrote: »
    In site b there was an old village on the island as well..so maybe

that was for the InGen employees Pre hurricane clarissa
  • edited October 2011
    Someone can be familiar with an area and not know what's really going on. She could have studied topographic maps with intensity. Maybe she infiltrated the island before the park started to be build and not really known what was going on at the time. There are plenty of possibilities. My point is you can have knowledge with out any idea of the real situation at hand.
  • edited October 2011
    I find the whole people living on the island pre-ingen to be a foolish idea.

I mean they are in a chain of islands known as the Five Deaths, and it is implied this name pre-dates ingen (why else are all 5 known tht way when only 2 are ingen property?)

Islands known as the five deaths kinda suggested feared place that ppl don't go, not place u find a village.

I'd say given her Costa Rican appearence and accent she could just be a costa rican and thus known the island as its habitat matches the mainland jungles
  • edited October 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    I find the whole people living on the island pre-ingen to be a foolish idea.

I mean they are in a chain of islands known as the Five Deaths, and it is implied this name pre-dates ingen (why else are all 5 known tht way when only 2 are ingen property?)

Islands known as the five deaths kinda suggested feared place that ppl don't go, not place u find a village.

I'd say given her Costa Rican appearence and accent she could just be a costa rican and thus known the island as its habitat matches the mainland jungles

Except Isla Nublar is NOT one of the Five Deaths; they're a separate island chain consisting of Isla Sorna, Isla Matanceros, Isla Muerta, Isla Pena, and Isla Tacano.

BTW, in the film universe, it's implied that the local populace are afraid of the Five Deaths largely due to the experiments InGen had been running in the region, (fisherman disappearing and all that) and so even those may have been populated at some previous point.

I think it's very possible Nima lived in a village on Isla Nublar which was "relocated" by the government after InGen bought the island; thus, she wants to "stick it" to InGen and has familiarity with the island, yet seemingly knows nothing about the Jurassic Park project.
  • edited October 2011
    or , its just possible she was one of the people that had to help nedry get the embryos off the island , if u guys remember from the movie , " when we gotta go , we gotta go " they show that part in the game, she calls out to that guy like she knows him being one of the people that had to take the embryos off the island.
  • edited November 2011
    according to the book for 5 years hammond had paleontologist and botonists and many others as consultants who's to say nima isn't one of these consultants who worked with Hammond on the parks D&D??
  • edited November 2011
    Everyone's ignored the most obvious answer to this question: Being someone who is apparently a local, knows about the island but not what exactly is on it, and out to screw InGen, she's probably a relative of someone who died building it. E.g. she's the sister/wife/daughter of the guy killed by the raptor in the intro to the movie. I don't think the movie covered it, but there were other deaths while building the park in the novel too.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.