Suggestions On How To Improve The Game

2»

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Laffer wrote: »
    No there weren't difficulty settings in other Sierra adventure games as far as I remember.. well perhaps Mixed Up Mother Goose.. don't remember.

Larry did certainly not have that at least.

I think I got confused with the not censory bar with the difficulty bar in lsl 2, 3, and 7 or the faster and slower bar(in lsl2 and kq4.) :p
  • edited September 2007
    i want the animation and charachters to look and seam more real. escape from Monkey Island looks better than any of sam n max so far. I bought my computer and maxed it out in 2003 waiting for sam n max only to find it canceled from lucasarts. full throttle 2 also. IF sam and max was born on a comic strip make the game and animation look like a comic similar to the old first hit the road. this low texture non furry 3D sam n max must be Disposed of. If nothing else add cinematics simmilar to the trailer thats released to add life to the game.
  • edited September 2007
    I think Sam and Max looks far better than the balloon characters Monkey Island 4 gave us. Although the 3D look doesn't replicate that of the comics, it's still nice and cartoony without being childish, and I expect once all the models are made, it's easier to do things in 3D, because you don't have to draw everything out afresh. And in fairness, the 2D Sam and Max in the comics aren't any furrier!

As for making cinematics the same quality as the trailer, that's been discussed elsewhere and isn't really plausible due to file size and the specifications that would be required. Besides, I think I'd prefer the look to be consistent throughout; it would be strange to keep flipping between two graphics qualities.
  • edited September 2007
    jared25 wrote: »
    i want the animation and charachters to look and seam more real. escape from Monkey Island looks better than any of sam n max so far. I bought my computer and maxed it out in 2003 waiting for sam n max only to find it canceled from lucasarts. full throttle 2 also. IF sam and max was born on a comic strip make the game and animation look like a comic similar to the old first hit the road. this low texture non furry 3D sam n max must be Disposed of. If nothing else add cinematics simmilar to the trailer thats released to add life to the game.

Sorry, I can't agree with any of that. If Escape From Monkey Island looked better graphics to you, that might be, in part, because the environments were pre-rendered, but even then, I think Sam and Max's graphics are much better.

And as for the "low texture non furry 3D sam n max must be Disposed of" line, the game's made for modest PCs, not energy sucking power houses. And I've not seen anything in any of the comics were Sam or Max have all-over furry textures (maybe the outlines which suggest fur in some, but it's not all that frequent).

Cinematics have been mentioned a few times, and there's several reasons they probably won't be used. You'll have to look about for them though, I don't have the posts to hand right now.

You seem to contradict yourself too. You start off saying you want them to look more real, and then go on to say Telltale should scrap the 3D and have comic-style graphics. :confused:
  • edited September 2007
    Maybe he meant Curse of Monkey island, since that was a very nicely done 2D graphics game.
    Admit I do like the 3D though, even if I'd be just as happy with high quality 2D graphics. It's about the game, about the jokes. You can pull off more in 2D than 3D because you don't need to render it, you just need to draw it, but so far I haven't seen anything in the S&M games from Telltale which I went "why couldn't they have done it better?"

As for the furry characters. I like them fine the way they are. Maybe an optional pixel shader could add a slight fuzz to textures if they're really all that needed. Or just send them back to the 70s to a place with lots of shag carpets, if they pull off the fuzzy background (or just give them fuzzy dice), maybe it doesn't matter about fuzzy characters?..or is that just fuzzy logic?
  • edited September 2007
    I fuzzyn't fuzzy fuzzy.
  • edited September 2007
    i will agree with drakefox. exept for all the fuzzy talk.
  • edited September 2007
    I have to say I liked The episodes but I do agree that they should change some costumes it would make it more intressting, but I lilke the puzzels they weren't hard but not easy, and when they get really hard I have to cheat in the end D= which I hate doing, so I feel better at this level of puzzeling 8D
  • edited September 2007
    Sam & Max have never been "fuzzy" and shouldn't ever be.
  • edited September 2007
    hmmm I could picture max getting stuck in a dryer and coming out just a huge ball with some ears, sam quickly grabs the anti electron quickso converter and takes the static electricity off max...
    Thanks sam.. no problem little buddy..

I think sadly.. even if the places have no events or context.. more location would be great.
    Also as has been said tons... the humor should start slowly getting twisted.. hell make a slider.. kiddie
    Fricken frackin freak of Freuds! The FFFF would be for the adult humor.
    I do so sadly want a couple of rooms .. maybe just one... that you lose point and click!.. oops the mouse has malfunctioned. Force the user to use the arrow keys pressing the same direction twice to stop.. like sierra.. then press the space bar... turn on light.. GEEPERS...Dunno call me crazy...
    Minigames minigames minigames.
    Driving needs revamped... big time. I see soo much potential here for a semi advent driving mini game but its just pointless in its current state.
    Ooops max shoots himself with a shrinking ray they confiscated ..... rats..ants.. and god knows what else enues. One room could turn into 10 locations.

More on the brain but ill keep this post short
  • MelMel
    edited September 2007
    Kaldire wrote: »
    Minigames minigames minigames.
    Driving needs revamped... big time. I see soo much potential here for a semi advent driving mini game but its just pointless in its current state.

To address your point about revamping the driving game (I'm not sure what you mean by revamping but I'll post this anyway):

From the Adventure Gamers Preview
    There are also two mini-games in this episode. The driving mini-game, found in a few episodes last season, has returned, but this time keyboard controls have been added which make controlling the car much easier. While it only needs to be played once to progress in the game, it can be replayed for fun and depending on how you do, you can even get decals to put on the DeSoto. Getting these isn't necessary to move along in the game, however.

I won't give any details about what you do in it, but it's a ton of fun and I think everyone will like it a lot!
  • edited September 2007
    Im not sure how well this would work with the episode format, but I think it would be interesting if a sort of map arrangement were set up similar to HTR...and when you progress through the season, maybe a new location or 2 opens up, while some of the others remain...Although unless you can rework areas into the story in later eps, it probably would be such a good idea...

As far as the graphics go...I think they are great...I dont have the most world shattering PC specs ever, so alot of new games force me to turn the graphics down to lame pixelly crappyness...so its refreshing to see some graphics I can run at high quality for a new game...
  • edited September 2007
    I have to say I wouldn't mind an increase in the difficulty. There were a couple Episodes I just seemed to fly though, which made them sort of unfulfilling.

I think one thing that would help with this is just adding more locations. With the few that are in certain episodes, the amount of things to interact with is few, making some of the challenges really obvious. An increase in locations means an increase in things to click on or pick up, which means more things to think of when solving a challenge.

And I realize coming up with a bunch of new locations every episode is a lot of work, but why come up with a special location with every episode while the previous is abandoned? Obviously this doesn't work for every episode (like Reality 2.0 and MM&M), but why not have new things at the television station or even have Brady Culture's base used somehow in another episode?
  • edited September 2007
    I could be really wrong but i think besides the textures in brady cultures base there wasnt anything really impressive to use again exept for maby the exterior of the base. id vote for a complete remodel on the inside of it. if used again
  • edited September 2007
    i was also thinking how far did lucasarts get with there concept art and there graphics i remember a trailer on there site a while back but what areas did sam n max have to explore and what characters.
  • edited September 2007
    Cantatus wrote: »
    And I realize coming up with a bunch of new locations every episode is a lot of work, but why come up with a special location with every episode while the previous is abandoned? Obviously this doesn't work for every episode (like Reality 2.0 and MM&M), but why not have new things at the television station or even have Brady Culture's base used somehow in another episode?

I'm totally agaisnt this idea. This will just make the game so repetitive.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Sam & Max have never been "fuzzy" and shouldn't ever be.

That one time when he got killed by the moon laser, he was fuzzy.
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2007
    Im not sure how well this would work with the episode format, but I think it would be interesting if a sort of map arrangement were set up similar to HTR...

Maybe a map with all the locations up to the current stage of the story (including previous season's locations)

All the locations can be clicked, those available for the current episode trigger a goto action, the others trigger a prompt like this one:

"WARP Studio is available in
    Season 1, Episode 2: Sam & Max: Situation Comedy
    Season 3, Episode 4: Sam & Max: Volatile Programming"
    Maybe adding a small picture of the area.
  • edited September 2007

I said a while ago that reusing old locations, but also providing totally new ones, would better replicate the style of full-length adventure games in which there are usually things to do in each location at early and later stages of the game. However, I'm no longer so sure it would work for episodic games, because we'd start with one new location and end up with six, meaning Episode 1 would be much shorter or Episode 6 would be far too spread-out.

Perhaps an old location could be resurrected occasionally, if there were a reason to go there again; suddenly being able to revisit the TV studio for one episode only and only finding out how it could be useful once you got there would give a feel of being nose-led, but having all locations available and most of them useless would be tedious and time-wasting. There would still have to be new locations, because a reworked old area can't hope to have as much content as it did when it was fresh.
  • edited September 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    That one time when he got killed by the moon laser, he was fuzzy.

I meant normally though. I can't really see Max looking that good if he looked like that all the time
  • edited September 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Maybe a map with all the locations up to the current stage of the story (including previous season's locations)

All the locations can be clicked, those available for the current episode trigger a goto action, the others trigger a prompt like this one:

"WARP Studio is available in
    Season 1, Episode 2: Sam & Max: Situation Comedy
    Season 3, Episode 4: Sam & Max: Volatile Programming"
    Maybe adding a small picture of the area.

Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking...But I like the last bit with the preview...its like, "TUNE IN NEXT WEEK WHEN WE REVISIT OUR FAVOURITE TV STUDIO AGAIN FOR MORE ZANY HUMOUR!!!"
  • edited September 2007

It would make it less repetitive than it currently is.
    Perhaps an old location could be resurrected occasionally, if there were a reason to go there again; suddenly being able to revisit the TV studio for one episode only and only finding out how it could be useful once you got there would give a feel of being nose-led, but having all locations available and most of them useless would be tedious and time-wasting. There would still have to be new locations, because a reworked old area can't hope to have as much content as it did when it was fresh.

Well, obviously I'd be against them throwing in locations if there was nothing to do there.

I also don't think it has to be a matter of having every location added be in every episode from here on out. I'm talking more about them occasionally throwing back an old location rather than just only reusing Bosco's and Sybil's all the time. That would serve to make seasons less redundant overall.
  • edited September 2007
    adding every old location to the current episode wouldn't work anyway, since the would either need to be included in the install file for this episode increasing the size or take the data from the old episodes and so forcing the user to have all old episodes installed.
    but i like revisiting some old places from time to time, adds nostalgia to the game. of course there have to be changes from the last time it was used, best being the result of actions the player did or triggered during the last visit..
    "ahh, memories..."
  • edited September 2007
    Cantatus wrote: »
    I'm talking more about them occasionally throwing back an old location rather than just only reusing Bosco's and Sybil's all the time. That would serve to make seasons less redundant overall.

I agree; that's what I meant, too, but the point was that providing apparently arbitrary locations that miraculously turn out to have a place in the story will be too contrived. It's telling the player: "going here might be a good idea - HINT, HINT!" There'd have to be a reason to revisit them, even if it was just, for example, hearing someone say "oh yes, last I heard he was visiting the white house... [etc.]" Having arrived for whatever the initial purpose was, there would hopefully be other unexpected goings-on as well that could then become involved in the plot.
  • edited September 2007
    I think it would be better if it were more like, for example, you could revisit old areas, but only a couple would be available per episode, like 3, but only 1 of them would be important.
  • edited September 2007
    I don't see how that solves the problems; it just combines part of one and part of the other. Why would anyone want to have to determine which were the two useless locations each episode, and still, what would justify the choice of those particular areas?
  • edited September 2007
    I liked Sam and Max originally because of the eloquant brand of unorthodox silliness in it. I mean, in "Hit the Road", things would happen where you would have to double take and think "Wtf !". In Season 1 I think the most obvious example of this is when you spend ages trying to get into the "War room", and just as you do the agent appears from nowhere and goes into a massive song. The jokes or plot shouldn't be predicatable at all, there should be all kinds of randomness. (So please don't make us shoot holes in cheese again.)
  • edited November 2007
    Steve Purcell needs to have more input on the game.
    Not that Telltale aren't doing a great job, but Steve sort of sold out.
  • edited July 2010
    doom saber wrote: »
    I agree. For example,there is some igorant game reviewer on myspace and youtube who reviews old games. In one of his podcast, he reviews castlevania II, giving it a bad review. He claims that the constant dialogue of day turning to night and the lack of tips within the game dialgoue hurts the game. Of course, this is the same game that is considered to be one of the best CV games.

I'm REALLY REALLY sorry to go all Dr. Frankenstein here, but I just found this post hilarious & thought I should share.... 3 years later that "ignorant" video game reviewer is a internet phenomenon who lives quite comfortably just from doing the reviews in question. I guess he must have been doing something right after all... :)
  • edited July 2010
    Well if this is still an "game improvement" thread.

My contribution is to bring the office back, so far season 3 has been perfect and possibly the best season yet, my only irk is that the characters haven't visited the office once - Bosco's and Sybil's place I can live with, but to not see the insides and changes in Sam and Max's home, is quite saddening.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.