People keep calling Marty the wrong name

Ran a search, came up with bupkis. If the solution to this is elsewhere on the forums and you know where it is post a link and I will be most grateful.

This has been bugging me to no end. When episode one came out I played and beat it; at the beginning I picked Michael Corleone as Marty's fake name.(Godfather ftw) About a week later a friend came over and played through the game except he picked Harry Callahan, and bugger all if I can't get everyone to stop calling me that in the later episodes.

I've tried playing through episode one in it's entirety multiple times; I've even delete my friend's save file so the other episodes couldn't read from it. Yet people from the past continue to call me Harry, fricking, Callahan.

Is this a bug that Telltale has yet to fix? It's really getting on my nerves because I feel like I'm playing my friend's file and not my own. May seem like a trivial thing but it was a nice touch that made the game a bit more personal.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Save files don't carry between episodes of Telltale's games. Episode 2 was scripted on the assumption that you chose Harry Callahan in episode 1, as Harry Callahan was a reference to Marty going by the name "Clint Eastwood" in BttF Part III, and is therefore the most logical choice of the three to be canon.
  • edited April 2011
    Save files don't carry between episodes of Telltale's games. Episode 2 was scripted on the assumption that you chose Harry Callahan in episode 1, as Harry Callahan was a reference to Marty going by the name "Clint Eastwood" in BttF Part III, and is therefore the most logical choice of the three to be canon.

No, that's just incorrect. The game makes mistakes, but it does try to remember which name you chose.
  • edited April 2011
    Just wondering, have you tried to re-play the first game up to the point with the name option, save and then resumed the current game? Seems like it likes to use the newest saved name.
  • edited April 2011
    My brother and I both play it on the same computer, and I played first and picked Sonny Crockett. I don't know what my brother picked, but in the second and third episodes everyone calls Marty Sonny and not the name my brother picked, and its never deviated from that for me (don't know for him, but he hasn't mentioned it so I doubt it). Maybe the game picks one at random? I'm pretty sure I didn't replay the first episode before playing the second...
  • edited April 2011
    My brother and I both play it on the same computer, and I played first and picked Sonny Crockett. I don't know what my brother picked, but in the second and third episodes everyone calls Marty Sonny and not the name my brother picked, and its never deviated from that for me (don't know for him, but he hasn't mentioned it so I doubt it). Maybe the game picks one at random? I'm pretty sure I didn't replay the first episode before playing the second...

He could have picked Sonny, y'know.

I have an odder case. I played through Episode 1 picking Michael, picked Sonny on a second playthrough, they called me Sonny in Ep 2 and Michael in Ep 3.
  • edited April 2011

Well...I am called Michael Corleone in all the eps.
    I'm sure it has something to do with the save game just before you install ep2 (same with ep3).
  • edited April 2011
    I picked Micheal Corleone in Ep1 and the NPC's have yet to call me that, I keep getting Sonny Crockett in all episodes.
  • edited April 2011
    I have no idea then. I always somehow get a version that is different from most people.

When i choose a different name in ep 1, the name changes accordingly in the other eps, as long as I start a new game of course.
    I never save my game though, I only use the autosave feature. maby that has something to do with it? I'm just guessing though.
  • edited April 2011
    Episode 2 was scripted on the assumption that you chose Harry Callahan in episode 1,...

Actually, it's random. I picked Callahan in Episode 1 and he called me Michael in Episode 2. And it was something else in Episode 3. But I uninstall after every game.
  • edited April 2011
    I got the same name in all three, so far, which has been a very nice touch. It may have to do with your save files (or in the case of a lack of one, or multiple different ones, it choose for you)
  • edited April 2011
    Just wondering, have you tried to re-play the first game up to the point with the name option, save and then resumed the current game? Seems like it likes to use the newest saved name.

Yeah, I've actually played through the first episode in it's entirety at least 4 or 5 times picking Michael each time and saving constantly. From the other responses here it sounds like I may just need to reinstall and get a clean start for all 3 episodes.
  • edited April 2011
    I've only rarely been called the wrong name.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    The name is not random, and doesn't have anything to do with save game files - it's managed in a registry setting. Run regedit, then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Telltale Games > BTTF > Player Alias.

If it messes up sometimes, there might be two entries for it in the registry.
  • edited April 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    The name is not random, and doesn't have anything to do with save game files - it's managed in a registry setting. Run regedit, then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Telltale Games > BTTF > Player Alias.

Wow, thanks for that. Yeah the registry value is set to Harry Callahan. Suppose I can just change it to one of the other two names then. Thanks a ton Puzzlebox. :D

-EDIT-
    Worked like a charm; it's using the right name now.
    edited April 2011
    Excellent. Enjoy! :)
  • edited April 2011
    Wow, I always thought that the game only went with "Sonny Crockett" in the later episodes. I guess I was wrong! Now I wanna play through it again as Mr. Corleone X)
  • edited April 2011
    Well, I guess you guys showed me!
  • edited April 2011

Yeah, I had one time, right after I chose the name in episode 1, in episode two, TWO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS CALLED ME DIFFERENT NAMES, lol.

Edna called me one name, and Young doc called me another.
  • edited April 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    He could have picked Sonny, y'know.

He definately didn't do that, which I thought I'd implied pretty obviously by the simple fact that I commented. ^^; As he was playing Ep2 for the first time, he actually said to me "Why do they keep calling me Sonny Crockett?", because he'd picked something else.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, I had one time, right after I chose the name in episode 1, in episode two, TWO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS CALLED ME DIFFERENT NAMES, lol.

Edna called me one name, and Young doc called me another.

Same here! Edna called me Mr. Crockett, and Emmett called me Mr. Corleone.
  • edited April 2011
    Any idea how to fix it on a Mac? I don't see those files.
  • edited April 2011

Because the fix is for windows registry, which aren't files actually.
  • edited April 2011
    OrangeAce wrote: »

I can't believe other people actually experienced that too. Edna called me 'Sonny Crockett' while Emmett called me 'Harry Callahan' during Get Tannen.

It was sort of funny since it was during the first cutscene of 1931 where Edna stops you while on your way to the speakeasy and Emmett recognizes you with your costume on.

"Hello Harry."
    "Sonny? Mr. Crockett!"

It's fixed now but it was certainly bizarre because every time I started a new game, I used 'Harry Callahan' as my alias.
    edited April 2011

I have no idea how Macs handle it, but a clever Mac user might know.
  • edited April 2011
    OrangeAce wrote: »

Happened here too.
  • edited April 2011
    i 1st chose harry collahan but when i played ep 2 it said sonny crocket O.o
  • edited April 2011
    Actually, I find it weird that I picked Michael Corleone in ep. 1. But then in Ep. 2, they first call me Mr. Corleone, then Edna calls me Mr. Crockett, then Corleone for the rest of the episode. All in one continuous play
    edited April 2011
    Have you guys getting multiple names checked that registry setting? It'd be interesting to know if there's something weird in there messing it up.
  • edited April 2011
    Nope.

There is just a bug in the game that makes Edna call you Sonny Crocket when you get back to 1931 the first time in Episode 2, if you chose Harry Callahan before.
    If you chose something besides Harry Callahan she probably says the correct one.
    And she only does it at that one dialog.
  • edited April 2011
    Nope.

There is just a bug in the game that makes Edna call you Sonny Crocket when you get back to 1931 the first time in Episode 2, if you chose Harry Callahan before.
    If you chose something besides Harry Callahan she probably says the correct one.
    And she only does it at that one dialog.

This happened to me with Michael Corleone. I can only assume there's a bug with that one line.
  • edited April 2011
    Lifeforcer wrote: »
    I can only assume there's a bug with that one line.

I think it must be a bug with that one line, because it happens to me as well and I'm playing on a PS3. I would assume the PS3 doesn't have the same registry issues as the PC. I think Young Doc called me the wrong name once, too.

Of course, having said that, Edna has taken to calling me Corleone by the end of the game, after I introduced myself to Kid as such in the speakeasy.

I love these games, but they sure are buggy.
  • edited April 2011
    Interesting, I had forgot what I called him. But my saves aren't on here from the first time I played and so I guess it doesn't matter and he's called Harry probably.
  • edited April 2011
    I picked Michael Corleone in EP1, then in 2 they called me like that. Except one time when I was Crockett lol. That should be fixed, yeah.
  • edited April 2011

After reading this I went into the registry and sure enough, "Sonny Crockett" was in as the Player Alias. I went through the first episode again, picked Michael Corleone, and finished the episode with auto-save turned on. All through Episode 1 they called me Michael/Mr. Corleone. When I went back into the registry, it still says "Sonny Crockett". I'll go on to episode two and see if they call me Sonny.. if they do, I'll manually change it and go back in to see if that makes a difference. I'll report back when I do this.
  • edited April 2011
    Mine still says Michael Corleone but there's one moment in Episode 2 where Edna still calls him "Mr. Crockett" no matter what. That's the only problem I've had with it, but it does happen. :(
  • edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure that part is a bug in the game. They might fix it when the DVD comes out.
  • edited April 2011
    I got it set to Micheal. which is kinda funny since Marty is played by Micheal J Fox. but kinda defeats the purpose since A.J. Voices Marty in the game.
  • edited April 2011
    Wow...a whole episode where they keep the right name. Awesome.
  • edited April 2011
    I only got called the wrong name one time through the whole game, in episode 2. Edna called me Mr. Crockett at the table in the town square on August 25th 1931
  • edited April 2011
    It's always worked for me. I chose Sonny Crockett in Ep1 and he's been Sonny Crockett to the citizens of 1931 ever since.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.