No Teleset in 1930s?

Just wondering. The first mass-produced teleset was from 1930~1933, known as the Televisor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_television#Television_sets

I'm well aware they were made more in the UK / Germany area, but still, you'd think there'd be one imported or something sitting around.

Then again, it is a small town :V

Comments

• Just wondering. The first mass-produced teleset was from 1930~1933, known as the Televisor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_television#Television_sets

I'm well aware they were made more in the UK / Germany area, but still, you'd think there'd be one imported or something sitting around.

Then again, it is a small town :V

It was probably very expensive back then in north america. Even in 1955 'nobody has 2 television sets'
  • edited April 2011
    1. Those were very expensive. Television didn't become commonplace until around the 1950s.

2. To be fair, we haven't gone into anyone's house in 1931 (except for one room of the Brown residence). If there are any TVs around, we've never really had a chance to see one anyway.
  • edited April 2011
    2. To be fair, we haven't gone into anyone's house in 1931 (except for one room of the Brown residence). If there are any TVs around, we've never really had a chance to see one anyway.

Makes sense, since we never got to see the old brown residence.
    1. Those were very expensive. Television didn't become commonplace until around the 1950s.

Also makes sense, 1955's doc had a teleset, complete with Howdy Doody
  • edited April 2011
    Also makes sense, 1955's doc had a teleset, complete with Howdy Doody

1955 Doc actually had TWO televisions, because, well, he must be rich.
  • edited April 2011
    The first mass-produced teleset was from 1930~1933

Seeing as this is 1931 I suppose it makes sense that there'd pretty much be none around. I remember hearing that when they made Part I they purposely made sure that all the models of cars were pre-1955 because it wouldn't make sense if everyone was driving around in cars made the same year.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes, believe it or not there once was a time when televisions were quite rare and only for the rich! Back when radio was the king....
  • edited April 2011
    tobar wrote: »
    Yes, believe it or not there once was a time when televisions were quite rare and only for the rich! Back when radio was the king....

Makes sense that the first television was hooked onto a radio stand, with a neon tube and a spinning disk rather than normal cathode tubing. (1928~1929)
  • edited April 2011
    THe oldest working television in teh world has just been sold. It was bought in the 1930s... about a fortnight before Crystal Palace, and therefore the transmitter, burnt down.

Oops
  • edited April 2011
    Even if they had one I doubt there would be broadcasts in 1930s California. Most of the 30s was radio...
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Whatever they may have produced in Germany at the time, there was no regular TV program until the fifties. So the thing would not have had any sense...
  • edited April 2011
    Whatever they may have produced in Germany at the time, there was no regular TV program until the fifties. So the thing would not have had any sense...

Yes, but there was TV via NBC in 1947 (Howdy Doody above), but since we don't have 1947 in this game, it doesn't matter :V
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah tvs were rare.

Just cause they started making em in 1931 dont mean every one had them.
    I mean even as late as 1980s and 1990s most households only had 1 tv or perhaps 2. It's Only really past 20 yrs or so its been a case of tv in every room.

Heck even the 1950s is early for tv being commonplace. My mum and dad were born 1950 and until the 60s there was 1 tv on their street (two diff streets obv)
  • edited April 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Yeah tvs were rare.

Just cause they started making em in 1931 dont mean every one had them.
    I mean even as late as 1980s and 1990s most households only had 1 tv or perhaps 2. It's Only really past 20 yrs or so its been a case of tv in every room.

Heck even the 1950s is early for tv being commonplace. My mum and dad were born 1950 and until the 60s there was 1 tv on their street (two diff streets obv)

1955 is when RCA debuted the color TV actually. It was more popular then of course. Howdy Doody helped advertise the color teleset, as the show turned color from 1955 on. (Of course, you COULD still watch the color version on black and white.)
  • edited April 2011
    I think the perfect frame of reference is the film A Christmas Story. It's dated to around 1939, with the Little Orphan Annie radio show and other elements of the time. Clearly, at that time TV's were certainly not the norm. Kind of like the present time and the invention of glasses-free 3DTVs. Yeah, they exist, but they're certainly not commonplace, and any film taking place during 2011 certainly wouldn't feature one in the house of your typical modern family.
  • edited April 2011
    1955 is when RCA debuted the color TV actually. It was more popular then of course. Howdy Doody helped advertise the color teleset, as the show turned color from 1955 on. (Of course, you COULD still watch the color version on black and white.)

lol wat?

I said nothing about black & white vs colour.
    All I said was how tv's were very rare even as recent as the 60s, so its not shocker none were seen in 1930s hill valley.
  • edited April 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    lol wat?

I said nothing about black & white vs colour.
    All I said was how tv's were very rare even as recent as the 60s, so its not shocker none were seen in 1930s hill valley.

My grandma was pretty poor lady at the time she got married, around the late 50s, her husband got a teleset <3

My question has been answered many times though now. It's getting too heavy in here. So I request a lock.
  • edited April 2011
    So I request a lock.

lock.png
  • edited April 2011
    warlock-t61.jpg

...wait, wrong game, sorry.
This discussion has been closed.