PS3 & Xbox 360 releases

edited May 2011 in Jurassic Park
So with the news of these both being signed to the consoles, I'm curious as to whether or not they will be physical releases or digital.

The state the PLaystation Network is in, seems it may not be a digital release for PS3.

Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

Comments

• edited April 2011
    According to a GameSpot article citing a Telltale announcement, Xbox 360 will have a retail release of a full game, ie. all 5 episodes together. The other platforms will get episodic releases. It doesn't say whether the PS3 version will be retail or PSN, but I'd have to guess the latter since it's episodic. PC/Mac version will probably be what it always was, episodic releases with a disc released after the season is over.

link
  • edited April 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    according to a gamespot article citing a telltale announcement, xbox 360 will have a retail release of a full game, ie. All 5 episodes together. The other platforms will get episodic releases. It doesn't say whether the ps3 version will be retail or psn, but i'd have to guess the latter since it's episodic. Pc/mac version will probably be what it always was, episodic releases with a disc released after the season is over.

link

qft! One more reason to be a 360 user.
  • edited April 2011
    qft! One more reason to be a 360 user.

Please note we get the game earlier due to episodes. Granted 1/5 of the game at a time, but we still get it earlier. Of course if you can wait at least 5 more months, then go ahead.:D
  • edited April 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Please note we get the game earlier due to episodes. Granted 1/5 of the game at a time, but we still get it earlier. Of course if you can wait at least 5 more months, then go ahead.:D

Are you sure about that? They said simultaneous release. It would be strange to say that if they didn't mean that X360 gets the full game at the same time the other platforms get episode 1.
  • edited April 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    PC/Mac & PS3 are getting it simultaneously as the Xbox 360 version, you'll get Episode 1 day and date with the 360 Retail Package (Episode 1-5).

Most likely has to do with a clause on the deal with Telltale and Microsoft. Gotta swing something exclusive their way! :D
  • edited April 2011
    That's sure what it's looking like isn't it.
  • edited April 2011
    To me it looks like even the PC/Mac version won't be a straight forward normal episodic release.
  • edited April 2011
    Johro wrote: »
    I don't see them releasing the whole thing on xbox before the PC.... Doesn't mean it wont happen, but I'll be REALLY surprised if it does.... I know what gamespot says..but I would rather see the actual announcement.

Why? They've released other games on PC before console. What besides "tradition" would keep them from doing it the other way round? Lots of game companies that primarily sold for PC in the past now place more emphasis on their console versions.

I too would like to see Telltale's actual announcement, but it's not just GameSpot. Here's IGN's article, quoted below with emphasis added.
    Telltale Games today announced Jurassic Park: The Game is now coming to Xbox 360 this fall, in addition to the previously announced PlayStation 3 and PC versions.

The full series of the game will be available on a retail disc in North America, marking the first time Telltale publishes a Xbox 360 title.

Telltale announced earlier this week it delayed the PC release of Jurassic Park: The Game on PC from April until this coming fall.

EDIT: Here's Giant Bomb's article; they're as confused as we are and have asked for clarification.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, that's why I deleted it. I was suspicious of Gamespot cutting little quotes in, but I did find the same thing on articles from ign, psu, etc etc and yep, that's pretty much what they say. Apparently, nothing has been said one way or another about a PS3 disc release though... so who knows.
  • edited April 2011
    deleted response to an edited post -- quit doing that, Johro. :D
  • edited April 2011
    sorry lol I will say that I find it odd that this press release isnt on the bleeping telltale press release page...c'mon web team, we want to see it. Everyone is just summarizing it.
  • edited April 2011
    guess this is the whole thing judging by their press release format.
  • edited April 2011
    Shame on yoou telltale, now we now why the game was delayed
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah, that press releases page is where I've been looking too. The IGN page does seem to be the actual announcement, which explains the confusion -- it doesn't say one way or the other if PC/Mac release will be episodic. Maybe GameSpot just inferred that. Also interesting is that first it says simultaneous release for XBox 360 and PS3. But the next sentence only applies to XBox 360, about full series and disc release.

Maybe Telltale hasn't even decided yet how to do the PC/Mac release. (I don't even know why I care -- I could go either way, Mac or 360, prolly whichever is cheaper.)
  • edited April 2011
    I want the PS3 to get all five episodes on disc as well. I'd rather that than have it clutter up my PS3's HDD. Straight up... if Telltale announces Jurassic Park on disc, then I'll preorder. Otherwise, I'll wait and see if they decide to announce a disc version later.

Given the choice, I'll always go with disc version over download.
  • edited April 2011
    I swear to god, if they do not release a physical disc for ps3 I will fucking shot myself in the foot.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • edited April 2011
    Telekill wrote: »
    I want the PS3 to get all five episodes on disc as well. I'd rather that than have it clutter up my PS3's HDD. Straight up... if Telltale announces Jurassic Park on disc, then I'll preorder. Otherwise, I'll wait and see if they decide to announce a disc version later.

Given the choice, I'll always go with disc version over download.

Well, Sony's already publishes Telltale Games through PSN. Although I wouldn't rule out a PS3 retail release. It seems highly unlikely.
  • edited May 2011
    Well, Sony's already publishes Telltale Games through PSN. Although I wouldn't rule out a PS3 retail release. It seems highly unlikely.

A week ago, an XBox 360 retail release would have seemed unlikely! So I'm not sure it makes any sense to be estimating how likely a PS3 disc release might be.
  • edited May 2011
    A week ago, an XBox 360 retail release would have seemed unlikely! So I'm not sure it makes any sense to be estimating how likely a PS3 disc release might be.
    Actually it never seemed unlikely, didn't you see how they used 360 controllers for the PC demo? It was never a doubt that the 360 interface was implemented and built for the game.

What seemed unlikely was the disc release, but it is justifiable to have it as an exclusive thing.
  • edited May 2011
    What seemed unlikely was the disc release, but it is justifiable to have it as an exclusive thing.

That's what I said, any console retail (disc) release was unlikely a week ago. Nothing announced so far says that the XBox retail release automatically precludes a PS3 disc release. How do we know Telltale isn't working to get a similar situation going with Sony? Note that I am not saying PS3 disc release is likely, just that I don't see the MS deal making it any more unlikely than it already was.

I'm an XBox user too, never owned a PlayStation. But I get no pleasure or benefit from games being withheld from that or any other platform.
  • edited May 2011
    Where does it say it's exclusive? All I've seen is one quote about the 360 version and the rest could well be garnered from older information and previous history.
  • edited May 2011
    Actually it never seemed unlikely, didn't you see how they used 360 controllers for the PC demo? It was never a doubt that the 360 interface was implemented and built for the game.

It was explained multiple times why they used a 360 controller. They used a 360 controller because it was a lot easier to show people how the game worked without having to sit there with a keyboard and mouse.
  • edited May 2011
    That's what I said, any console retail (disc) release was unlikely a week ago. Nothing announced so far says that the XBox retail release automatically precludes a PS3 disc release. How do we know Telltale isn't working to get a similar situation going with Sony? Note that I am not saying PS3 disc release is likely, just that I don't see the MS deal making it any more unlikely than it already was.

I'm an XBox user too, never owned a PlayStation. But I get no pleasure or benefit from games being withheld from that or any other platform.
    Plenty of games get's timed exclusives,many on the PS3 for example. But this trend seemed to wane in the recent year (IE: Portal 2 going PS3), but it appears that these type of deals are still being made. It's all apart of the business, and satisfies the owners who chose to buy and own the exclusive platform. But in the end, eventually everyone receives it.
    Watsamax wrote: »
    It was explained multiple times why they used a 360 controller. They used a 360 controller because it was a lot easier to show people how the game worked without having to sit there with a keyboard and mouse.
    Of course, the Xbox 360 controller is a great controller for Xbox 360 and PC gaming (Hell I use a wired one for my PC games, when I can). But you can't say that because of using a 360 controller, a 360 interface was not "programmed" with the best usability interface in order to play the game. The interface was created and existed, it wouldn't have been a long jump to suspect a 360 version months ago. I'd be saying the same thing had they used a PS3 controller scheme.
  • edited May 2011
    controller schemes and the button icons are pretty simple... FORMATTING is the issue. It's not like you can stick a PC DVD into your xbox. So yes... the game was originally slightly geared to xbox...but so was BTTF which is already available on the PS3 and uses the xbox scheme on PC as well.... the game was only...lets say 55-45 geared towards xbox over the work to make it compatible with PS3... controller schemes and button icons are relatively simple changes.(especially since the usable buttons are similar)

...and yes I know it's going to be on the PSN, I was just talking about the original programmed PC game. I'm just saying that making it controller compatible is a long leap to platform compatible.
  • edited May 2011
    Johro wrote: »
    controller schemes and the button icons are pretty simple... FORMATTING is the issue. It's not like you can stick a PC DVD into your xbox. So yes... the game was originally slightly geared to xbox...but so was BTTF which is already available on the PS3 and uses the xbox scheme on PC as well.... the game was only...lets say 55-45 geared towards xbox over the work to make it compatible with PS3... controller schemes and button icons are relatively simple changes.(especially since the usable buttons are similar)

...and yes I know it's going to be on the PSN, I was just talking about the original programmed PC game. I'm just saying that making it controller compatible is a long leap to platform compatible.

When if ever was BTTF geared towards 360?

Compatibility is essential in determining what platforms a game is developed for. All Microsoft PC Games of recent (Since say 2007) all have the interface in place to have Xbox 360 controller icons and a pre-programed scheme. Only a fraction of non-Microsoft games have the same type of instant compatibility with Xbox 360, and only because these are multi-platform with a PC version...
  • edited May 2011
    Plenty of games get's timed exclusives,many on the PS3 for example. But this trend seemed to wane in the recent year (IE: Portal 2 going PS3), but it appears that these type of deals are still being made. It's all apart of the business, and satisfies the owners who chose to buy and own the exclusive platform. But in the end, eventually everyone receives it.

If something is a timed exclusive, I will refuse to buy it for the platform that it is a timed exclusive on. I own every platform, but I don't want to encourage companies to dump money on anti-competitive business practices like timed exclusivity. Either fund fully exclusive games, or don't, but don't pay to get a month or two of exclusivity. That's just lame.

If everyone who owned multiple platforms would resist the urge to buy something the second it's available, we could get rid of dumb crap like timed exclusives.
  • edited May 2011
    If something is a timed exclusive, I will refuse to buy it for the platform that it is a timed exclusive on. I own every platform, but I don't want to encourage companies to dump money on anti-competitive business practices like timed exclusivity. Either fund fully exclusive games, or don't, but don't pay to get a month or two of exclusivity. That's just lame.

If everyone who owned multiple platforms would resist the urge to buy something the second it's available, we could get rid of dumb crap like timed exclusives.
    That's your thing, but the majority of console gamers do enjoy timed exclusives when they are related to their console of choice, while the others either a.) complain or b.)are indifferent.

If PS3 get's exclusives that 360 doesn't I'm apart of that B crowd. The PS3 just isn't my type of gaming system. But it does make me a more satisfied customer knowing the platform I prefer and own has something other platforms will have to wait to get. I won't put it into someone's face...like some, cause that is just downright rude.

But in the end it is a marketing scheme, one that will continue for a long time...Hate it or love it (or indifferent to it) it's gonna' happen.
  • edited May 2011
    Plenty of games get's timed exclusives,many on the PS3 for example.

Yes, plenty of games do. So what? We still do not know, for a fact, whether JP got a timed exclusive or not. It's certainly valid to suggest that as a possibility, but it's premature to presume conclusively that is the case.

The Microsoft deal was about Telltale becoming an official publisher for the XBox platform and applies to past and future games as much as it does to JP. We don't know whether TT had to trade timed exclusivity for JP to get that deal. I would think it's something they've desired and been working on for a while. What developer that has the goods wouldn't want to be able to publish for XBox? Why wouldn't TT want the same thing for the PlayStation platform?

The original plan was for PC/Mac "timed exclusivity" -- not because anyone paid them to do it that way, but because of their own development/release plans. Now they have new release plans and it makes sense they wouldn't want any release before XBox given the new deal, but it doesn't automatically follow that XBox is guaranteed timed exclusivity, even if it happens to work out that way.

You need to take your XBox blinders off and look at the situation more rationally.
  • edited May 2011
    That's your thing, but the majority of console gamers do enjoy timed exclusives when they are related to their console of choice, while the others either a.) complain or b.)are indifferent.

If PS3 get's exclusives that 360 doesn't I'm apart of that B crowd. The PS3 just isn't my type of gaming system. But it does make me a more satisfied customer knowing the platform I prefer and own has something other platforms will have to wait to get. I won't put it into someone's face...like some, cause that is just downright rude.

But in the end it is a marketing scheme, one that will continue for a long time...Hate it or love it (or indifferent to it) it's gonna' happen.

I simply don't respect Microsoft for doing crap like that. Exclusives are great as they encourage all console makers to be on the top of their game to compete with each other, timed exclusives are just a dirty cheap cop-out to actually doing something that requires a little bit of effort.

Imagine if all the money Microsoft has dumped into getting timed exclusives for a month or two were spent on hiring talented developers to make brand new franchises? Wouldn't you rather have that?
  • edited May 2011
    Yes, plenty of games do. So what? We still do not know, for a fact, whether JP got a timed exclusive or not. It's certainly valid to suggest that as a possibility, but it's premature to presume conclusively that is the case.

The Microsoft deal was about Telltale becoming an official publisher for the XBox platform and applies to past and future games as much as it does to JP. We don't know whether TT had to trade timed exclusivity for JP to get that deal. I would think it's something they've desired and been working on for a while. What developer that has the goods wouldn't want to be able to publish for XBox? Why wouldn't TT want the same thing for the PlayStation platform?

The original plan was for PC/Mac "timed exclusivity" -- not because anyone paid them to do it that way, but because of their own development/release plans. Now they have new release plans and it makes sense they wouldn't want any release before XBox given the new deal, but it doesn't automatically follow that XBox is guaranteed timed exclusivity, even if it happens to work out that way.

You need to take your XBox blinders off and look at the situation more rationally.
    To not see the statement in the news is to be blind. It's not a large logical jump to make the connection. The Xbox would be receiving the game on a retail disc, and from the statements made utilizing the word "simultaneous" to describe the release of JP:TG on all platforms, it's obvious that this 360 retail disc would release day and date with the other episodic releases.

You're not gonna come here, and tell me that the Xbox is getting only Episode 1 on that retail disc, it wouldn't seem logical. Everyone still gets the game (IE: Episode 1) on the day and date. It could very well be that Episode 2-5 may be locked (once online) until they release on the PC, Mac and PS3. But the news report has specifically stated that the retail disc would contain all 5 episodes.

It's not really a timed exclusive either, because everyone will get the game (Episode 1) the same day, hence the "simultaneous".

I agree on waiting to see the actual release timetable, but to overlook these logically concluded conclusions based on official news that Telltale has given this far from Fall is just ignorant.

I don't have "XBox blinders" on, since I'll be receiving the game on the PC (Which I had originally pre-ordered instead of waiting for console announcements) free of charge anyways and will use it as a determination to whether picking up a 360 version for achievements.
    I simply don't respect Microsoft for doing crap like that. Exclusives are great as they encourage all console makers to be on the top of their game to compete with each other, timed exclusives are just a dirty cheap cop-out to actually doing something that requires a little bit of effort.

Imagine if all the money Microsoft has dumped into getting timed exclusives for a month or two were spent on hiring talented developers to make brand new franchises? Wouldn't you rather have that?

Both PS3 and Wii have some timed exclusives (DLC & Retail) as well, it's not just the 360 (Although the majority of timed exclusives were for them). It seems like PS3 had had more timed exclusives planned, but as time has passed those exclusives such as Section 8 or LA Noir have faded, they seem to put more emphasis on exclusive DLC such as The Joker in Arkam Asylum.

As for new franchises, it'd have to be something that is a big hit, otherwise the gamble to "create" a new franchise is worthless. In the gaming industry franchises can go either way: score big and make money to milk or lose horribly and deny future attempts the company/personnel behind the attempt for the foreseeable future (as well as most likely foot them the bill). The success to fail ratio is heavily favored towards the latter.
  • edited May 2011
    Yea Microsoft is retarded. Dumped $50 million i believe (coulda built a real jurassic park :D) On getting time exclusive GTAIV: Episodes from liberty city. Well they didnt convinve a lot of people to move over. And truthful GTA IV only cost $100 million to make and the developers already had all the models and vehicles in the game mostly.
  • edited May 2011
    Watsamax wrote: »
    Yea Microsoft is retarded. Dumped $50 million i believe (coulda built a real jurassic park :D) On getting time exclusive GTAIV: Episodes from liberty city. Well they didnt convinve a lot of people to move over. And truthful GTA IV only cost $100 million to make and the developers already had all the models and vehicles in the game mostly.
    GTA IV was the first GTA game (Not a later ported game like San Andres or Vice City) to release simultaneously on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. You must remember that prior to GTA IV all GTA games were exclusive to PC first, then PlayStation and Sony first. This trend didn't change until GTA IV.

The announcement of the "timed exclusive" DLC was made in May 9th, 2006, the game released on April 28th, 2008.

"The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Grand Theft Auto IV are the fifth and eighth best-selling games of 2008 in the United States respectively. The Xbox 360 version sold in excess of 3.29 million, while the PlayStation 3 version sold in excess of 1.89 million for a combined 5.18 million copies in 2008 in the region." - Wikipedia

I would say the exclusive DLC had a big impact on the sales of GTA IV. In the end all platforms (PC, PS3, X360) recieved all the DLC and even a Complete Collection pack.
  • edited May 2011
    Achievement list coming anytime soon???
  • edited May 2011
    Achievement list coming anytime soon???
    Not for awhile, unless someone is able to leak it! We could speculated Achievements/Trophies for the game though...which gives me an idea!
  • edited May 2011
    Whoops, wrong place to post. Thanks for the inspiration SmorepionKid!
  • edited May 2011
    To not see the statement in the news is to be blind. It's not a large logical jump to make the connection. The Xbox would be receiving the game on a retail disc, and from the statements made utilizing the word "simultaneous" to describe the release of JP:TG on all platforms, it's obvious that this 360 retail disc would release day and date with the other episodic releases.

You're not gonna come here, and tell me that the Xbox is getting only Episode 1 on that retail disc, it wouldn't seem logical. Everyone still gets the game (IE: Episode 1) on the day and date. It could very well be that Episode 2-5 may be locked (once online) until they release on the PC, Mac and PS3. But the news report has specifically stated that the retail disc would contain all 5 episodes.

It's not really a timed exclusive either, because everyone will get the game (Episode 1) the same day, hence the "simultaneous".

I agree on waiting to see the actual release timetable, but to overlook these logically concluded conclusions based on official news that Telltale has given this far from Fall is just ignorant.

It is guaranteed that every platform will see episode 1 on the same day based on the fact that they emphasized a simultaneous release. The "timed exclusive" talk is referring to the fact that it is very possible (probable, even) that episodes 2 through 5 will be available exclusively on Xbox 360 on launch. There is no way they are going to release a disc with 80% of the game locked, the outrage would be massive.
    Both PS3 and Wii have some timed exclusives (DLC & Retail) as well, it's not just the 360 (Although the majority of timed exclusives were for them). It seems like PS3 had had more timed exclusives planned, but as time has passed those exclusives such as Section 8 or LA Noir have faded, they seem to put more emphasis on exclusive DLC such as The Joker in Arkam Asylum.

As for new franchises, it'd have to be something that is a big hit, otherwise the gamble to "create" a new franchise is worthless. In the gaming industry franchises can go either way: score big and make money to milk or lose horribly and deny future attempts the company/personnel behind the attempt for the foreseeable future (as well as most likely foot them the bill). The success to fail ratio is heavily favored towards the latter.

So you'd rather support a company more concerned with milking the same 2-3 franchises (most of which are eventually ported to PC, anyway) for eternity and pouring their money into a month or two of exclusivity on games (seemingly at random), than one that takes more chances on new IPs?

Supporting timed exclusive games just perpetuates the marketing strategy, and it honestly has no benefit for anyone. How does it benefit you that other people are needlessly restricted from playing the game? It doesn't. Microsoft is spending the money you are paying them to bribe companies to delay the release of certain games on other platforms. The games aren't coming to you faster, they're just being held back from people who own the other platforms at Microsoft's request.

Furthermore, exclusive DLC is an entirely different animal than forcing a company to hold back a release on another platform for a set amount of time. Exclusive DLC is incentivizing the purchase on that platform, and it is certainly not excluding their competitors from offering similar. Timed exclusive agreements are made specifically to screw over customers of their competitors, and that's a dick move.
  • edited May 2011
    To not see the statement in the news is to be blind.

I have seen the news stories and have always recognized the possibility that what you're saying could be true. You're the one being blind by failing to at least acknowledge any other possibilities.
    You're not gonna come here, and tell me that the Xbox is getting only Episode 1 on that retail disc, it wouldn't seem logical. Everyone still gets the game (IE: Episode 1) on the day and date. It could very well be that Episode 2-5 may be locked (once online) until they release on the PC, Mac and PS3.

I never said any such thing! The news reports say the XBox release in fall will be the full game. What I'm saying is that there is nothing known that absolutely rules out the possibility that other platforms might get the full game at that time as well. The news reports have been vague and even conflicting on this point. Unless you can show me a Telltale statement that says, unambiguously, that only XBox is getting the full game in fall, then your statements are nothing more than your own assumptions.
  • edited May 2011
    When if ever was BTTF geared towards 360?

Compatibility is essential in determining what platforms a game is developed for. All Microsoft PC Games of recent (Since say 2007) all have the interface in place to have Xbox 360 controller icons and a pre-programed scheme. Only a fraction of non-Microsoft games have the same type of instant compatibility with Xbox 360, and only because these are multi-platform with a PC version...

you just proved my point. I was replying to the suggestion that JP(originally) was geared towards xbox because of the controller scheme and icons...which as you obviously agree is near minimal
  • edited May 2011
    I was going to post extended responses to each reply, but the server went offline for awhile about an hour ago. I'm not retyping those up... so quick replies.

1.Exclusive "Console" DLC are just as worse as Timed Releases as people are still left out (Pre-Orders don't count).
    2.The possibility exists while not impossible is thus far unlikely, had TT released an addition statement in their PR I would not have my "assumption" (They have yet to correct it).
    3.Multi-platformed games (Primarily first on the PC) that have a counter-part with the 360 have that friendly user interface on the PC as a result of a 360 port.
  • edited May 2011
    I hope the forum isn't littered with spoilers from people forgetting that other formats don't have the entire season from the start.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.