Can't get BTTF episode 4 to start

edited May 2011 in Game Support
cant get it to work im on pc windows 7 part 1 and 2 runs fine i had the same problem with part 3 then i downloaded a new prefs.prop then it worked fine. I think there might be something wrong with the installer exe. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I still cant get episode 4 to work
  • edited April 2011
    And to add to my first post i get the loading screen and when the intro music starts thats when it crashes if that helps
  • edited April 2011
    I have exactly the same problem! Same thing happened with ep 3, and it was fixed by downloading the new pref.prop file. I've tried copying that file to ep 4 but no luck. Also tried everything in the support thread and FAQs, running with no startup programs, reinstalling, changing my screen res etc, still no luck. It opens the game window, plays the first 2 bars of the theme with the flux loading symbol in the corner then cuts out, goes white and crashes with "backtothefuture_104.exe has stopped working". 1 and 2 ran perfectly, as did 3 when it was fixed. any fixes for 4 please!!!!! :)
  • edited April 2011
    sorry to double post, just sent a support email, so i will repost any fixes I get here for other users with the same problem.
  • edited April 2011
    I just tried to start playing the game (episode 4) and got exactly the same problem. I get to the end of the intro and it will crash then. I tried other episodes and they are still working fine.
  • edited April 2011
    unfortunately we may be left in the lurch until monday morning when Telltale are back in the office - or monday night in my case, being in the UK is annoying sometimes! or it could be tuesday, we have a bank holiday here on monday, dunno if you celebrate May Day in the US, hope not otherwise I'm going to get very annoyed at owning a game I can't play!

also, if it is of any use, i bought my game through Direct 2 Drive and the Comrade game manager, mainly for the convenience of it working in GBP rather than dollars.
  • edited April 2011
    has any1 figure out how to get this episode running yet?
  • edited April 2011
    I got it working by changing the level of details to the lowest maximum in advanced mode (I don't know if anything between the lowest and highest would work, didn't try yet, nor if "low" in the simple mode is enough).
  • edited April 2011
    I've got a similar problem, except that it's not loading anything at all.

The first time I ran episode 4, I clicked the Play button on the main Telltale screen, and the game appeared to start to load, hourglass cursor and all... and then it just stopped. No process in the Task Manager, nothing. And after that, none of the episodes even load the Telltale startup screen. Either they freeze at "Loading..." or show a blank screen when loaded, with the Telltale logo at the top.

Other Telltale games seem to be unaffected, but the Tales of Monkey Island startup screen does say that it's "unable to connect to community tracker". Perhaps Telltale is having some kind of server problem?
  • edited April 2011
    mine doesnt get as far as the menu screen so I can't change the graphics settings at all. it just has the black screen with the flux cap in the bottom right corner, plays the fist two little tinkly bits of music, then crashes. this problem was fixed for me in ep 3 by a new pref.prop file that Telltale posted which started the game automatically in the lowest settings - problem is the same file wont work with ep 4.
    i dont think it would be a server problem because you dont need to be online to play, it is installed onto the harddrive. not sure about your crash Alfador, sounds like something has affected the graphics on all the chapters and this is causing it to crash. have you tried rebooting and running the older chapters during a clean boot? (its in the FAQs, basically turn off any programs that are not windows start ups so that there is more RAM/processor available for the games)

yeah, just need to sit and wait for Telltale to get back to one of us...
  • edited May 2011
    I'm using a Dell Latitude E4510 with Windows 7. I was able to play the first two episodes without any problems. With Episode 3 I had the Flux Capacitor at the botton corner loading and then crashing with sound and the message "video driver has stopped responding and was recovered". After I searched this forum, someone posted a prefs.prop that used the minimum hardware and it worked fine (I was able to change prefs and adjust it without problems). With Episode 4, same problem, but this prefs.prop from Episode 3 does not work at all.
  • edited May 2011
    Exact same problem here, sent an email too. Same happened with the 3rd part but same solution doesn't work. If you guys find the solution please post it.
  • edited May 2011
    I've been having the same problem. I got the game through Steam and am trying to run it under Win7 Pro 64-bit with an NVidia 9800 GTX+. Whether I launch the game through Steam or via the exe, the flux capacitor screen comes up for about half a second, then windows says "BackToTheFuture104.exe has stopped working". I've tried defragmenting the game cache. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. I've tried updating Steam. I've tried deleting "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Telltale Games\back to the future 104". I have the other three episodes installed as well, and I tried copying over the 'prop' file from one of the others that still runs. Episode 2 has stopped working (it used to work...) but the others still run fine. Not sure what else I can try...
  • edited May 2011
    I have the same startup problem on episode 2. It looks good, loading icon in bottom right corner, then stops.

Can someone point me to the file you guys are talking about pls?
  • edited May 2011
    where can I find the filr profs.prop modified minimum hardware for episode 3?
    On the forum I can not find ...
  • edited May 2011
    trusto this is for episode 3 bttf http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6568200/prefs.prop
  • edited May 2011
    Exist te file prefs.prop with minimum hardware for ep 4?
    Why I have the same
  • edited May 2011
    Anyone find a way to get episode 4 to work yet
  • edited May 2011
    The following was posted on the BTTF Steam Forums by the user CJLarkin
    I had this problem, for both Episode 3 and 4. The solution for me, at least, was to install their packaged version of DirectX. Now, I assumed that, as with many other Steam games, it would install upon startup through steam, but it didn't. So, I decided to dig into the files themselves. Specifically:

(Steam Folder)/steamapps/common/back to the future 104/DirectX/DXSETUP.exe

That installed DirectX. I then went to Steam, launched the game and it ran with no problems whatsoever.

This fix worked for me. (Well, at least so far as getting the game to run at all. Now I'm off to try and play it ; D)

EDIT: Been playing the game for the past few hours, it works.
  • edited May 2011
    Same problem blank screen with telltale logo, no start button or graphics. Checked Telltale website. it was down !! Checked 10 mins later, site up and running and the game worked fine. Question : Why does the game need a connection to server to work when it is installed on my hard drive? Does this mean I cant use the game as a standalone. If so I have been seriously mislead.
  • edited May 2011
    Sorry but can someone give us a new file for 4th profs.prop with low requirements?
    In my opinion also solve as well as on the 3rd!
    I asked this to the telltale anocra but do not respond!
    None of you can edit this file?
  • edited May 2011
    Did you guys try what I posted?
  • edited May 2011
    I have directx 10 but the problem is not them!
    Having the same problem with episode 3 but I have resolved with the new prefs.prop
    And 4 and the same problem I had with 3!
    I can only solve with a new prefs.prop!
  • edited May 2011
    trusto wrote: »
    I have directx 10

That doesn't mean anything, and that's not how it works.

Just because you have DX10, that doesn't mean you have all the files required or the correct versions.

Depending on the game, it can use certain API's that's not in the usual DX redistibutables.

Developers package DX files for a reason, use them.

If it doesn't work, at least you've ruled it out and you've lost nothing, it won't do any harm.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Here's a low-settings prefs.prop file for episode 4. I just created it by selecting the lowest graphics settings possible in my own copy of ep 4, so not sure if it will work for you guys or not.

And as others have already suggested, try installing the packaged version of DirectX when you install the game.
  • edited May 2011
    For some reason I still can't get the game to start. It launches to the black screen and I see the flux capacitor and then it crashes. I got it from Steam and have already redownloaded the game 3x. I ran the DXsetup from within the program files steam folder and also tried the prefs.prop. I'm not sure what makes this one different than ep 1, 2 and 3 which I had no problem downloading and launching immediately. I haven't installed any new drivers for the past few months and the other episodes are still launching fine.

Can anyone else recommend anything else to try? Thanks in advance.
  • edited May 2011
    Try to verify the files via Steam, and update your video and sound drivers.
  • edited May 2011
    I tried running the dxsetup.exe provided with the game. Still cannot run episode 4. At least in my case, this made no difference.

Actually I take that back. The game seems to actually crash more quickly than it did before. Sometimes I don't even get as far as seeing the flux capacitor in the corner.

Episode 3 still runs. Episodes 1, 2 and 4 do not. I was actually able to run Episode 1 the other day when I first posted but not now... whee...
    edited May 2011
    Can you guys run DXDiag and post the results here? Might help the Telltale people narrow down what's causing the issue.

You can also send an email to support@telltalegames.com (paste DXDiag results into the email text, because they can't receive attachments). Bear in mind that things are really busy for the support guys at the moment, and tickets are answered in the order they are received, so an answer may take some time.
  • edited May 2011
    I solved!!
    NOW WORKS WITH NEW PREFS.PROP!!
    THANK YOU! 1! you also replace and fix
  • edited May 2011
    The file presf.prop work, I solved the preblema and the game works
    edited May 2011
    The file presf.prop work, I solved the preblema and the game works

Great news that it worked for you! Thanks for letting us know.
  • edited May 2011
    there's another little problem!
    The file prefs.prop works but does not save the game!
    It does not save!
    edited May 2011
    there's another little problem!
    The file prefs.prop works but does not save the game!
    It does not save!

You mean the Save/Load option is not available from the menu? Make sure you're using the Episode 4 shortcut/launcher rather than an older one.
  • edited May 2011
    In the menu there is no load / save
    You can not save!!!
    Great Scott!!!!
    I do not understand what you mean by using the Episode 4 shortcut / launcher Rather Than an older one.?
    I launch the menu, chapter selection!
    There is no other way ...
    we do?
    edited May 2011
    I do not understand what you mean by using the Episode 4 shortcut / launcher Rather Than an older one.?

Maybe Caleb explains it better than I do here:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23064
    If you're playing on PC and you don't see the option to save or load, try opening the episode through the shortcut in the Start menu (if you're using XP) or the Games Explorer menu (if you're on Vista or Win7).

If you're on a Mac, make sure you start the episode through the Applications folder shortcut specific to that episode.

That should solve the problem.
  • edited May 2011
    I solved!
    I started from the folder icon BTTF episode 4!
    and saved!
  • edited May 2011
    One problem is that the file lowers the quality way too much!
    edited May 2011
    One problem is that the file lowers the quality way too much!

What, you don't like 640x480? :D

Those are the lowest possible settings to ensure you can actually start the game. Once you're in, you should be able to tweak the graphics in the Help & Settings menu to something a little less... rustic.
  • edited May 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    What, you don't like 640x480? :D

Those are the lowest possible settings to ensure you can actually start the game. Once you're in, you should be able to tweak the graphics in the Help & Settings menu to something a little less... rustic.

Just released the 5th episode presf.prop prepare me the file immediately launched a low resolution because the same error.
    ok??
This discussion has been closed.