Can't get BTTF episode 4 to start

2»

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    trusto wrote: »
    Just released the 5th episode presf.prop prepare me the file immediately launched a low resolution because the same error.
    ok??

I don't work for Telltale or anything, I'm just a regular forum-goer. But sure, I'll do my best for you (and if I'm not around, hopefully someone else will be kind enough to post a file). :)
  • edited May 2011
    However, speaking seriously will post a low resolution file presf.prop for the 5th episode?
  • edited May 2011
    No worries. We'll make sure customer support has a low-end prefs.prop file ready when BttF Ep.5 ships. :)
  • edited May 2011
    Hi guys, so I'm still having a problem launching the game. It launches from steam and the executable which goes to the black screen with the flux capacitor, but about 10 seconds after it crashes and windows tells me the program has stopped responding. I tried updating my video drivers in addition to running the dxsetup inside the telltale games installer and using the pref.prop from this thread, but it's still crashing. Can anyone recommend anything else to try? Should I post the report that I got from DXdiag?
  • edited May 2011
    I've got the same problem, and done the same things as cgl2k1 except mine crashes quicker.

Any other ideas would be apreciated.
  • edited May 2011
    cgl2k1 wrote: »
    Hi guys, so I'm still having a problem launching the game. It launches from steam and the executable which goes to the black screen with the flux capacitor, but about 10 seconds after it crashes and windows tells me the program has stopped responding. I tried updating my video drivers in addition to running the dxsetup inside the telltale games installer and using the pref.prop from this thread, but it's still crashing. Can anyone recommend anything else to try? Should I post the report that I got from DXdiag?

prefs.prop replace the file with the one posted to the previous page!
    So I've solved!
  • edited May 2011
    trusto wrote: »
    prefs.prop replace the file with the one posted to the previous page!
    So I've solved!

didn't work mate :(
  • edited May 2011
    wait I'm totally confused. I've been having the same problems. Tried the DirectX thing- didn't help, but I don't know what to do with that prop file- Windows says it doesn't have a program to run it with. So once I download what I am I supposed to do? Thanks
  • edited May 2011
    wait I'm totally confused. I've been having the same problems. Tried the DirectX thing- didn't help, but I don't know what to do with that prop file- Windows says it doesn't have a program to run it with. So once I download what I am I supposed to do? Thanks

You want to put the prefs.prop file in the following location on your computer:

Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 4

Once you've done that, try starting the game again.
  • edited May 2011
    thanks so much Caleb but still no luck :(
  • edited May 2011
    This is extremely frustrating. I can't even launch the episode. I tried replacing the prefs.prop file as well as reinstalling it and running the DirectX setup. Nothing is working.
  • edited May 2011
    Post a DxDiag log.

All the episodes work OK, you shouldn't having any issues.
  • edited May 2011
    I can't get Back to the Future Episode 1 to work after the first time playing
  • edited May 2011
    Still can't get this to work.
    I have tried the prefs.prop file, no suscess.
    Tried directx setup, no joy.
    Tried reinstall, clean boot, still nothing.

Any sugestions?
  • edited May 2011
    @ Kalt, your sound driver is almost a year old, Realtek do almost monthly driver updates.

And make sure your nvidia control panel is set to application controlled.

If it's still crashing, try a clean boot (check Google if you don't know how), and if it still persists, check Event Viewer for the crash log.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks Kleetus but the update didn't change anything.

As for the event viewer i got this:

Faulting application name: BackToTheFuture104.exe, version: 2011.4.7.56337, time stamp: 0x4d9dfa47
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7ba58
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ce653
    Faulting process id: 0xce4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0eb2a7d35563
    Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\back to the future 104\BackToTheFuture104.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: e9907e59-7aa5-11e0-b4ae-001fd0a04437

Currently researching the codes and how to fix them.
  • edited May 2011
    Well, although it may not be related to your problem, you should NEVER install games to Program Files as it can cause a lot of problems.

Program Files is protected by Windows User Account Control, and it can sometimes cause access and permission issues.

Install all your games to anywhere else, I use C:\Games and I've never had an issue.

EDIT: BTW, how many monitors do you have?

If more than one, try disabling/removing them and use just the one.
  • edited May 2011
    I only have one monitor.

Never heard of program files being an issue before, good to know tho.
  • edited May 2011
    I found a solution on the steam boards.

Originally Posted by WildCardAcres on Steam forums
    "I found a partial solution for me. What I did was go into the steam > steamapps > common > Back to the Future 104 folder. Right click on the file called "BackToTheFuture104" and go to "Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Put a check mark in the box that says "Run this Program as an Administrator". Click OK. The game now launches."

I guess you were right about permission issues Kleetus, I've never had to do this to run a game through steam so it never occured to me.

Thanks for trying to help.
  • edited May 2011
    You're welcome, have fun.
This discussion has been closed.