Turning the game into a CGI movie?????

edited August 2011 in Back to the Future
Am I the only one who thinks this would be a rockin idea?

I mean you'd probably want to remove the puzzles to keep from spoiling the game, but after ep 5's been out a while, I think this would be a great idea.

I mean watching some of the edited walkthroughs on youtube, it practically felt like I was watching BTTF 4.

They've all ready got a great voice cast (w/ a few original cast members too), and the animation is really good quality, so I figured if they added a little more (to make up for the parts that are player controlled) and fix what seems to be a lag/difference w/ the script/lip movement, and it wouldn't take much to turn this into a cool CGI movie. (or at least a S2DVD movie or something)

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I dont know. We already have this particular story told through the game.
    Dont think there would be much point of having a movie about it too.
  • edited May 2011
    i disagree, i would love to see it as a CGI movie. i'd pre-order the first copy.
  • edited May 2011
    The only problem is that the movie would be about five hours in length. Even if you cut down a lot of the puzzles and dialogue, you'd still want to get the same information across. One of the charms of the game is the various dialogue branches. I don't know if you'd be able to fit in all of the dialogue options or the various pop culture references within one CGI movie.

I also agree with oberlerchner123 about the story issue. If we're talking about a seperate CGI movie idea, I would be more inclined to buy the movie. Where it stands, those who already bought the game will probably be less motivated to buy the same story twice.

It's certainly an interesting idea but if the movie was solely covering the game's plot, I can't see much profit in it.
  • edited May 2011
    the animation quality isn't high enough
  • edited May 2011
    Stangace20 wrote: »
    I mean you'd probably want to remove the puzzles to keep from spoiling the game
    There's nothing to remove in this regard.

Unlike most games, Back to the Future: The Game would be infinitely improved by simply taking the story elements and arranging them into a linearly-told story. As it is, the existing product is a farce of a game that comes off as a parody of how not to make a video game more than it is an actual game, and the interaction is so pointless and mindless that it becomes entirely tedious. It's like having a DVD player that randomly pauses the film or skips back or forward a chapter. Yes, that would be a more interactive film-watching experience, but it would be so pointless, tedious, and disruptive that the interactive nature of the product is just a distraction from the(in this case) entirely mediocre story.

tl;dr: A movie would be better, because it would strip out the horribly rotten and irredeemable gameplay(calling it as such spits in the face of the very definition, but I digress), leaving the shaky, somewhat poor storyline, which by comparison is the title's saving grace.
  • edited May 2011
    Thaaaaat crack about the story was totally uncalled for. It's a pretty good story! And a couple of the puzzles, such as the guitar one in Ep. 3, and the Mind Map puzzle in Episode 4, were quite confusing to me. >___>
  • edited May 2011
    The story is mediocre at best, and honestly I'm not even sure if it's just the complete lack of gameplay that makes it look half-decent by comparison. The first episode is entirely undone by the second, with the MAJOR DRAMATIC FOCAL POINT of the first episode being waved off in the second with an "Oh, I got over that.". The third episode is a bunch of story elements ripped out of pop culture without satire, comedy, or any form of twist, entirely removing the argument of it being an "homage". There are a lot of oddities and plot holes in the story. One of these(Doc Brown's disappearance from the DeLorean in the FCB timeline) actually required an out of game explanation by a game developer before it made any sense whatsoever. The story is dictated by fan demands to remain as similar to the original films as possible in every way, including a hasty return of "THE" DeLorean because nobody wants to see anything new out of the franchise anymore. The story lacks originality or structure, and hinges ENTIRELY on characterization and the performances of Telltale's voice cast.
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah, the only strong points in Telltale's "games" after Wallace & Gromit are the voices.

And it pains me, because it showed so much promise in the beginning. I actually hoped that there would be new GREAT adventure games. I felt giddy with ethe first Sam & Max. I was excited with the second.

But now? They're just churning out retarded games for the nostalgic & the rampant fanboys who actually believe Telltale employees are their friends just because they replied once to one of their posts.

And they HAD to ruin another Monkey Island. Escape wasn't bad enough? It tanked because of the controls, because LucasArts wanted to be on the consoles. Talk about not learning from past mistakes. The only reason this was successful was, again, because of the nostalgia factor. 10 years ago, it just wouldn't cut it.

It's painful to be a Monkey Island fan. You want to enjoy the story, but you're struggling to get from one screen to the next... self inflicted torture. Ha! Them Chinese had nuthin' on Telltale & the guy who came up with these controls, way back in Grim Fandango.

But, who knows? Maybe one day Dave Grossman will be able to do one game that his mother in law will like to play. Alienating every one else in the process, but hey, if that's his goal... Good luck.

I hope it'll be worth it.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2011
    (insert your own funny hotlinked image here)
  • edited May 2011
    That site you posted the image from doesn't allow hotlinking.
  • edited May 2011
    If you look back a page or two in the forums, you'll see I had an idea about making BTTFTG into Part 4 a long time ago. It never got much recognition, so it's good to see this one is popular at least.
  • edited May 2011
    I don't like how people assume CGI is the same thing as 3D animation.
  • edited May 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    I don't like how people assume CGI is the same thing as 3D animation.
    While not all CGI is 3D animation, the vast majority is. And since 3D computer-generated animation falls under the CGI label, calling a 3D animated film "CGI" is no more inaccurate than calling it a "film".
  • edited May 2011
    I'd LOVE this idea. I have family, particularly parents, who are huge BttF fans, but don't play video games of any sort, nor do they have the time to play the game, but really want to watch the story.

Having a condensed version that you could just press play on and watch the story would be amazing.

I don't have much hope in this ever happening, but I do think it's a great idea.
  • edited May 2011
    I don't know how you'd turn it into a film without dramatically changing it.

For one thing, the movies never had Marty slowly walking around the town square over and over and over. And the action sequences that we do have are pretty uninspiring when compared to the skateboard chases and such from the films.
  • edited May 2011
    I abstain from voting because voting "yes" assumes I believe it would translate well into a good solid movie that I would like to watch, which I doubt; and voting "no" assumes I believe it's good enough as a game to not merit the effort of improvement by removing the pointless gameplay aspect.

I agree with neither of those assumptions.
  • edited May 2011
    I did the same for awhile, but then I thought what the hell and voted "yes". I would have preferred a "The game is bad and a movie would be, at best, mediocre, but yeah that's still better than the shit we got" option.
  • edited May 2011
    I could see this becoming some kind of machinima similar to red vs blue.
  • edited May 2011
    I did the same for awhile, but then I thought what the hell and voted "yes". I would have preferred a "The game is bad and a movie would be, at best, mediocre, but yeah that's still better than the shit we got" option.
    It's obvious that you don't like the "Back to the Future" game but you are full of negativity. You seem to stick around to bad mouth it at every convenience.
  • edited July 2011
    First, congratulations for "Back to the Future" - a fantastic game!!
    It was - and is - a worthy sequel !!

So, an idea came to my mind - and maybe to others too:

How about editing and releasing a movie - or even better - another trilogy from
    material of the game ??
    Maybe some new inbetweens have to be rendered, but that should not be the problem for you, right ?
    What do you think about that ?

And just a slight veriation of my idea: What about releasing the rendered videos under
    a free licence (done for the movie "the Tracey Fragments". They released their raw footage for
    free to all the people, who liked to edit a version of their own. That was round about 24 GBytes.
    There was a short competition running for the ones, who edit their own versions.)
    SO, how about doing the same thing here ?
    Just release the rendered raw footage of the in-game movies and some additional stuff and do
    a competition for editing the best movie version out of your game stuff.

Really, the story of the game should be transformed into a movie or movie trilogy.
    It has the potential and other computer-generated stuff had success already.
    If you can´t release game movie clips for free and other stuff for editing, maybe
    you could at least think about releasing your own sequel movie out of the gameplay...??

See ya....
  • edited July 2011
    rather dashing on arrival will stomp your dreams.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2011
    ELB1985 wrote: »

You are forgetting the merciless threadmerging moderator. ;)
  • edited July 2011
    ELB1985 wrote: »
    I never even intended to post in that thread.
  • edited July 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    It's obvious that you don't like the "Back to the Future" game but you are full of negativity. You seem to stick around to bad mouth it at every convenience.

It deserves it. We shouldn't be putting up with such mediocrity. A BTTF game could be so much better. Maybe there should be a thread about what a BTTF adventure game should be with game design elements that more of us would appreciate and find fun and interesting.

A movie would have been more fitting as that's all it really is anyway.
  • edited July 2011
    While the plot does look mediocre at first glance, I don't think it would stay that bad with proper movie editing.

And it sure wouldn't be a 5 hour monster.

Episode 3 and 4 can be cut down to about 2 minutes..as most of it's content was just filler anyway.

Most of the so called puzzles also go into the category time waster and could be glanced over in a movie.

The dialog trees of course would have to be condensed to the important stuff and once it is all done you get a normal length movie.

But honestly, that would be a nice addition to the disc as an extra, if I would be required to pay for it, I would prefer a rewrite.

(For example, the game should start with the time train...which would remove all questions about how Einstein got into it.
    Only let the car arrive when Doc gets him from 1931 in the past...hinting that some major changes in the time line have happened, which led to the DeLorean never have been destroyed.
    This probably wouldn't have worked in an episodic game, but would have been great for a movie.
    And there are probably many other changes that should be made for a movie release)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Episode 3 carries a lot of narrative bulk - two minutes of screen time wouldn't suffice. At the very least, the viewers should be properly introduced to Citizen Brown. ;)
  • edited August 2011
    I love the way disliking this "game" is completely baffling and out of this reality by some folks.

Puzzles aside, the story and the animation is completely atrocious. The whole thing wouldn't look charming even without the puzzle segments. Dashing and others already pointed out the reasons why the story is incompetent already. It's boring, too reliant on characterization and nostalgia, it's scared of delivering fresh ideas and when it does it's either a huge plothole ("DeLorean got duplicated lol") or a completely uninteresting addition (Edna and everything revolving around her except the Citizen Brown timeline).

Animation seen in the game is probably Telltale's worst delivery yet; they ARE capable of much more fluent 3d animation. As a full length (and probably even longer) 3d MOVIE, it would be unwatchable -at least, to me. Iunno if you dig pixel-jittery robotic animations repeated over and over and over and over.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.