Suggestions to improve JP graphic

2»

Comments

• BenBen Former Telltale Staff
    edited September 2011
    That's pretty cool, I've never seen that game before. Looks like they had some very interesting tech. Of course, Shenmue also looks amazing. It's impressive how well that video holds up. The tech is rough by modern standards, but it's very cinematic and has some nice effects.

Anyway, I appreciate the support of fans who like the graphics of JP, but lets try to keep this from turning into a graphics vs. gameplay flamewar. There are lots of people who feel that graphics are important, and lots of people who don't care so much as long as the gameplay is there. That's an interesting discussion, but this thread isn't the place for it. The whole point of this thread is to critique the graphics...so if you don't care about graphics, this thread probably isn't for you.

If you want to make me feel better, you can post screenshots that you like, along with reasons why :D
  • edited September 2011
    I really love this one. THe T-Rex looks very bad ass and scary at the same time. And it also reminds me of my favorite part in Dino Crisis when the T-Rex attacks the helicopter. I don't know what it is but the image of a T-Rex attacking a helicopter is just awesome. I always wanted a scene in the Jurassic Park movies of the Rex or some other dinosaur attacking a helicopter and I'm glad to see it come to life in what will probably be the best Jurassic Park game ever!!

And graphics wise, yes, it looks awesome.
    jurassicparkthegame2011.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • edited September 2011
    I love the graphics in the dinosaurs that was amazing! But one question to Ben. Does telltale plan on doing the whole series of Jurassic Park?
  • edited September 2011
    The graphics have improved a little bit since June but the game still look way outdated and the characters cartoonish. I wouldn't mind playing a technically outdated game if it had an actual gameplay but this whole thing being basically a giant QTE, I'm quite positive it will be bashed by both medias and demanding players. I'm still purchasing it cause I've been a JP fan for almost two decades but it looks like a missed opportunity to me.
  • edited September 2011
    THe T-Rex looks very bad ass and scary at the same time.
    Indeed, it looks awesome, I just think its eyes are too bright (or too yellowish). However, I love the graphics.
    anthoto1 wrote: »
    The graphics have improved a little bit since June but the game still look way outdated and the characters cartoonish.
    Yeah really I don’t care. I play so many Indie-games, which have "outdated" graphics, but I dont care about graphics if the game is great and it will be great.
    And if graphics have a charme, it doesnt matter how "good" they are :)

I remember when I was a kid: I stood in a mall and watching another, older boy playing Jurassic Park on the Sega Genesis and was so amazed by the graphics. LOL
  • edited September 2011
    Graphics look amazing, I know they aren't Crysis but they look great. Its really funny how everyone expects TellTale to make this photorealistic game with amazing visuals... you should really do your homework on game dev studios who create their game engines in-house (it is colossally expensive and time consuming, frankly I'm impressed with how amazing JP looks all things considered), and then look into TellTale's special visual style itself. Maybe then you can remain quiet and understand why this game doesn't look like an Unreal Engine 3 tech demo.

Haters are always going to hate, it just makes coming to this forum so much less enjoyable. Maybe one of the moderators can make a "JP whining" board where people can complain about the graphics/gameplay concept/no PS3 disc/size of t-rexes gums(are you f****** kidding me?)/inaccutate park map threads where I don't have to hear about it? I just want to come here to talk JP and get excited for the game! I know fans are critical, but I promise you I'm as big a JP fan as they come, which is why I am SO STOKED for this game. Can't understand why everyone is picking it apart, its ridiculous. I'm just happy my loved franchise from 18 years, YES 18 YEARS AGO, is actually getting a new game after ALL this time!
  • edited September 2011
    TP3D wrote: »
    Graphics look amazing, I know they aren't Crysis but they look great. Its really funny how everyone expects TellTale to make this photorealistic game with amazing visuals... you should really do your homework on game dev studios who create their game engines in-house (it is colossally expensive and time consuming, frankly I'm impressed with how amazing JP looks all things considered), and then look into TellTale's special visual style itself. Maybe then you can remain quiet and understand why this game doesn't look like an Unreal Engine 3 tech demo.

Haters are always going to hate, it just makes coming to this forum so much less enjoyable. Maybe one of the moderators can make a "JP whining" board where people can complain about the graphics/gameplay concept/no PS3 disc/size of t-rexes gums(are you f****** kidding me?)/inaccutate park map threads where I don't have to hear about it? I just want to come here to talk JP and get excited for the game! I know fans are critical, but I promise you I'm as big a JP fan as they come, which is why I am SO STOKED for this game. Can't understand why everyone is picking it apart, its ridiculous. I'm just happy my loved franchise from 18 years, YES 18 YEARS AGO, is actually getting a new game after ALL this time!

nicely said…I am freaking excited :)
  • edited September 2011
    piccobello wrote: »
    And if graphics have a charme, it doesnt matter how "good" they are :)

In my view, they don't. King Kong (a 2005 game for Christ sake !) looked slightly better than this. Some of the dinosaurs look good on the bullshots Telltale gave the press but some other look awful in motion. Still, the main problem is that these cartoonish characters look like they belong to another game if you compare them to the realistic dinos. I know the 3D engine processing this game is far from today standards but this is more of a problem of artistic coherence.

Yet, as I said, I wouldn't mind the graphics being mediocre if the game had an actual gameplay. This game was designed for the casual gamer (that's a fact) and is all about smashing buttons when you are told to. As a fan, I may enjoy it because the announcement really came from nowhere and the simple fact that we'll got a new JP game is a nice surprise. However, as an experienced player, it just seems obvious to me that things don't look good at all. BTTF was just not a good adventure game and the first press feedback we have about JPTG are worrying.
  • edited September 2011
    They are not cartoonish, and there is gameplay. Just because this isn't a game where you walk around doesn't mean there is no gameplay.
  • edited September 2011
    They are not cartoonish, and there is gameplay. Just because this isn't a game where you walk around doesn't mean there is no gameplay.

Smashing buttons when you're told to is not actual gameplay. BTTF was tailor made for the casual gamer with its moronic puzzles. In JPTG, the most part of the game will be QTE, which where basically invented to make cutscenes a little bit more interactive than they were before Shenmue. We'll have no liberty of action, this is the least interactive level of gaming. It may still be fun to watch but this won't make a good game.
  • edited September 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    ......Have you even seen the Action Montage? Or did you go to PAX and check out the gameplay for yourself? I'm sorry, but the main complaint seems to be graphics and Telltale has really improved. Back to the Future was not graphically amazing because they wanted it to be in an artistic style that was different from realism. I'm impressed with how far they've come, and by now they can't go back and fix anything. So why are you bitching to them now when you could have done it months ago?

I usually do not write in forums.That is the reason why i did not critisize them for their previous games like back to the future.I have seen the latest pax videos in hd from gametrailers and THEY WERE HORRIBLE.No matter how much you try to move passed them you can't.When 5 year old games look 100 times better then you must admit their graphics suck big time.

I am the last person that will put graphics above gameplay.But Graphics are part of the gameplay too and they affect how immersive a game is.A good technically engine and a good artistic direction can go a long way to immerse you in a game.Would bioshock1/2,would mass effect 1/2,would deus ex hr,would fallout 3/4,would oblivion,would gothic 4,would metal gear solid,would heavy rain ,would uncharted 1/2 ,would assasin's creed 1/2/3,would prince of persia be the games they are if their graphics sucked ?
    I think not because graphics ARE a part of the game.

And even older games like Outcast and Shenmue and Realms of the Haunting and Last Express and gabriel knight series,Blade runner etc.. that are still playable and amazing today,they all had astonishing graphics technically and artistically-That's why they still are incredible.Jurassic park is abysmal both technically and artistically...
  • edited September 2011
    anthoto1 wrote: »
    This game was designed for the casual gamer (that's a fact) and is all about smashing buttons when you are told to.

You, sir, are wrong. This game was designed for fans of Jurassic Park to enjoy a new story about our favorite fictional universe (and make money) and is about story and character. It may be called a game, but to me it seems more like an interactive movie, which is just fine for the purpose it exists.
  • edited September 2011
    I think this thread direction is exagerated.
    Maybe JP's graphic is not the tech highlight of the century, but it's not that bad as many stated.
    You've to accept that Crysis 2 it's not the standard.
    The greatest part of TT engine is what you don't see: the capabilities of managing a long story and to pull it out in very short time on a realtime engine. An almost unique feature for graphic adventures - and you can tell the quality difference between any TT game and other recent adventures (Black Mirror III, Tunguska, Grey Matter).

In JP particular case they're forcing the TT tool to focus on action - and it was a huge problem for them at first (see the "pauses" problem on the first footage).
    But I think they're doing a good job during this experiment,and hope that seeing all of this on our real screen and playing it will surprise us.
  • edited September 2011
    Ben wrote: »
    That's pretty cool, I've never seen that game before. Looks like they had some very interesting tech. Of course, Shenmue also looks amazing. It's impressive how well that video holds up. The tech is rough by modern standards, but it's very cinematic and has some nice effects.

Anyway, I appreciate the support of fans who like the graphics of JP, but lets try to keep this from turning into a graphics vs. gameplay flamewar. There are lots of people who feel that graphics are important, and lots of people who don't care so much as long as the gameplay is there. That's an interesting discussion, but this thread isn't the place for it. The whole point of this thread is to critique the graphics...so if you don't care about graphics, this thread probably isn't for you.

If you want to make me feel better, you can post screenshots that you like, along with reasons why :D

Hi Ben! It's always a great thing when developers take some time to hear what their fans think about their games ! I am real sorry for sounding too..passionate about my dislike of the graphics.But i hope you understand why as being in the gaming industry you always look also what your competitors are doing.
    If you were making another cartoon game i would have no reason to complain.But Jurassic Park (as back to the future was also) is an iconic movie for a lot of people.It was a beautifull movie,with dinosaurs seen for the first time as animals and not puppets and as real as the actual actors were.Also have in mind your fans are not all casual gamers.I am a gamer for the last 25 years and i bet a lot of your fans are old time gamers too.I have played Trespasser if you remember it,one of the most amazing games ever made,a decade ahead of its time...(yes it need a silicon graphics machine to run,yet it had a trillion bugs...but when it worked it was amazing-and btw it got re-released a year later with a ton of bugs fixed ,but it was too late-also there is a fanpage with unnoficial patches that further fix bugs,add hd resolutions and new renderers...).Or another game with Dinosaurs if you remember King King ? It was made by ancel the guy that made Beyond Good and Evil and it was an amazing game.I still remember the final fight in the island with the T-rex....And as far as jungles go games like crysis and far cry did some amazing work.And even games like the lost adventure game or Boiling point 2 (ie Xenus 2) did a great job with jungles...

So...Ben i am not ignorant .I can understand you usually do casual games and there are many limitations with your existing engine.So i do not ask Crysis level graphics.But i do ask some better graphics with good looking character and object that are not polygonal and have some good high resolution textures over them.Also i ask decent shadowing and some hdr lighting as its absence is really noticeable today.I only hope the game gets improved on those areas.
  • edited September 2011
    I feel like the T-rex tail is about a foot too long, and his front forarm claws are too dark colored. Also, I dislike in the Nedry's Jeep sequence that I can't see the jungle reflected on the guy's ID tag. Telltale, you are terrible. Can u add more graphix please and make it more like GtA?
  • edited September 2011
    I feel like the T-rex tail is about a foot too long, and his front forarm claws are too dark colored. Also, I dislike in the Nedry's Jeep sequence that I can't see the jungle reflected on the guy's ID tag. Telltale, you are terrible. Can u add more graphix please and make it more like GtA?

YEAH! Not to mention the lack of blood splatter and small intestine on those dead bodies! Honestly! Then there's the lack of photo-realistic characters! Eff GtA We need Crysis or MWF Graphics!!!!
  • edited September 2011
    Let us hope telltale can read sarcasm on the interwebs otherwise we'll get a midget T-Rex
  • bambam
    edited September 2011
    The small improvements mentioned in the first post are constructive feedback and I think nobody disagrees that those are things that could be fixed with a reasonable amount of resources. The discussion about the overall technical aspects of the game aren't.

Telltale is not a developer with the manpower or financial resources to create games that are technically en par with "modern games". The sale-numbers of adventures in general and Telltale's games specifically also don't justify a big financial investment to improve the graphics. I don't need to remind anyone that Telltale's games don't cost 60$ but half of that or even less.

Some people have to adjust their expectations and need to see those aspects of games from a developer point of view. What is realistic to expect from a developer which provides games for a certain audience with a certain amount of resources and a certain number of expected sales? A game which looks like a modern game and costs about 30-50 million $ in development alone just isn't in this case.
  • edited September 2011
    bam wrote: »
    The small improvements mentioned in the first post are constructive feedback and I think nobody disagrees that those are things that could be fixed with a reasonable amount of resources. The discussion about the overall technical aspects of the game aren't.

Telltale is not a developer with the manpower or financial resources to create games that are technically en par with "modern games". The sale-numbers of adventures in general and Telltale's games specifically also don't justify a big financial investment to improve the graphics. I don't need to remind anyone that Telltale's games don't cost 60$ but half of that or even less.

Some people have to adjust their expectations and need to see those aspects of games from a developer point of view. What is realistic to expect from a developer which provides games for a certain audience with a certain amount of resources and a certain number of expected sales? A game which looks like a modern game and costs about 30-50 million $ in development alone just isn't in this case.

This is where you are completely wrong my friend.Yes Sam and Max were the sequal to a old loved cartoon adventure game.It was ok to have simple cartoony graphics and it was made for fans of the original game.And it sold mostly to people that had played the original.
    But back to the future is a movie that is deer to the harts of a lot of people and it sold like crazy for that.Yet it looked simply ABYSMAL.

Telltale hit a huge success with those games,especially if you count the new monkey island games,american mcgee and bone out of boneville games.

I myself bought both sam and max and back to the future and let me tell you all the episodes cost a good $30 so we are not speaking for a dirt cheap game.I mean there are budget game like EYE -Divine Divinity you could buy online for $20 and are simply astonishing so i don't want to hear excuses about money.

The jurrasic park movies are very loved by their fans and deserve better than what there currently is.The game looks abysmal and if it stays this way ,through a lot of fans will still buy it ,they will absolutely hate it and telltale too.

If the game let you explore the whole island in 3d,letting you discover things and give you multiple choices and give you amazing battles in 1st and 3rd person view like an sandbox king kong or a much much better tresspaser i could look past the hideous graphics.But the game is not an sandbox game...IT does not even let you move in 3d ................It is a simple adventure game with a lot of QTE events.....And the only thing that could save it is great graphics that reminded us why we fell in love with the movies all again.But as it is it has bad gameplay as moving in 3d and exploring IS a part of an adventure game and has horrible graphics...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.