Suggestions to improve JP graphic

edited September 2011 in Jurassic Park
I edited some picture to suggest TT some improvements about this game:
39112656.th.jpg 42422285.th.jpg 73231114.th.jpg 010nh.th.jpg 012tk.th.jpg 014kc.th.jpg 016ft.th.jpg 017nwo.th.jpg 10939467.th.jpg 019ejh.th.jpg

And (to balance) some good shots of the game :) :
30729013.th.jpg 13263049.th.jpg 18487499.th.jpg 10502973.th.jpg 18109589.th.jpg 39596004.th.jpg 64864782.th.jpg

Comments

• edited June 2011
    What they have showed on E3 is an early build. It is identified as such in the footage.
  • edited June 2011
    I know it is an early build, but read this quote from Mark Darin:
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Just to briefly touch on the subject, the delay is less about graphics and more about quality of gameplay for all versions of the game.

And, btw, better address some potential improvement while we're still in time! ;)
  • edited June 2011
    Yes and these are not huge things they have to fix, but they would greatly improve the quality.
  • edited June 2011
    Love when these things are brought up!
  • edited June 2011
    "I'm so bored with realistic graphics. I can go outside and see realistic graphics. I want something that really excites my imagination." -RG

I would much rather TT concentrated (as they seem to be) on improving the actual gameplay than wasting time correcting minor graphic flaws.

They could spend a fortune improving the graphics to Crysis 2 type levels, and it'll still look dated in a couple of years.

It's the gameplay that'll bring me back again and again for years to come...
  • edited June 2011
    I'm also more worried about gameplay and how smooth a games runs than graphics. And right now I think the graphics are fine and that focus need to be on gameplay, and making sure there's no glitches, pop-ins, lag and stuff like that.
  • edited June 2011
    Seriously in need of a topic like this, i completely agree with everything in the first post. I could point out countless flaws like this in BTTF too.

What bothers me is that these problems arent even hard to fix (I'm a freelance 3D artist) so i know exactly what goes into modeling texturing and lighting. They are just simply overlooked and thrown to the side in the hope that no one notices... or perhaps just as probable, they just dont know what they're doing to begin with!

Seriously, i've seen mods for games that are more impressive than this whole game looks already, it's laughable.

Also, saying "Telltale games are about story not graphics! BLAH BLAH BLAH" This is not an excuse, in this day and age this type of quality is not acceptable.

A story probably takes about 1 to 2 months to write and finalize... What are they doing with the rest of their time? Certainly with this huge pushback they've had on the game, theres no excuse to have it looking as bad in the screens above.

There's 2 reasons i believe it got pushed back, Universal saw the final product they were going to release in April, and said no way, go back and work on it some more.

Or again Universal saw the product and didnt think it would do well on its own and decided to coinside the release of the game with the JP Blu ray, much like BTTF.

Their reason for the pushback, was just to save face.
  • edited June 2011
    I think one of the biggest problem in Telltale Engine is that (IMHO) they lack distance LOD. Little objects (like the egg) are always a small bunch of polys. Yeah, having 2 models for some object - one for near and one for distant - is more demanding for 3d artists, but the result would be nicer.
  • edited June 2011
    There's 2 reasons i believe it got pushed back, Universal saw the final product they were going to release in April, and said no way, go back and work on it some more.

Or again Universal saw the product and didnt think it would do well on its own and decided to coinside the release of the game with the JP Blu ray, much like BTTF.

Or another reason is the fact the game has been rushed, personally I don't want to see a rushed game!

As for the graphics?! I am so sick and tired of people like you, graphics graphics graphics, it's why video games are getting so boring! I for one am glad that telltale actually cares about a storyline and not just how it looks! Graphics are important but i'd rather enjoy playing a GAME and not a piece of art! Just because something looks good it doesn't mean it's a good game, PS1 games are blocky nowadays in comparison to a lot of bland modern games, but at least a lot of them actually have a fun factor, and interesting gameplay!
    I could point out countless flaws like this in BTTF too.
    What the fact it isn't a fps, the fact it concentrates more on a storyline, and the fact it isn't a gta copy? Yeah shame isn't it :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2011
    Alstom1995 wrote: »
    Or another reason is the fact the game has been rushed, personally I don't want to see a rushed game!
    How has it been rushed? It's actually been delayed twice now having been originally slated for Fall 2010, now it's been delayed a year and I would be hesitant to say that much has changed. A little tweaks here and there, some slightly better visuals, etc.

For the most part it's been complete since April, as it's been stated before it's all about getting things ready and translatable from PC/Mac to 360/PS3 ports ensuring everyone will get the same experiences.
  • edited June 2011
    I didn't say it had been rushed, I said it might of been rushed at least that's what I was implying. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2011
    As for the graphics?! I am so sick and tired of people like you, graphics graphics graphics, it's why video games are getting so boring!

The reason why graphics are an essential part of any modern day game, is because they are there to immerse you, the better they are, the better they do that. However in this case, with the bad graphical examples above, players notice this and DETRACTS from the experience, sure the story may be fantastic (Doubtful) but if i see something that doesnt look right on screen, it's going to take the person playing OUT of the story altogether.

Do you understand how this can affect the game experience?
    PS1 games are blocky nowadays in comparison to a lot of bland modern games, but at least a lot them actually have a fun factor, and interesting gameplay!

Yes, PS1 games nowadays can be still fun, but for me I know they're gonna look blocky because of the technical limitations there were back then and i understand that and look past such things.

Nowadays, there are obviously many more possibilities available to developers, and to have JP looking as a game being made in 2011 is just not fair. I see it as a plain-as-day cop out, with people basically not doing their jobs right.
    What the fact it isn't a fps, the fact it concentrates more on a storyline, and the fact it isn't a gta copy? Yeah shame isn't it :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with anything, you assume because i expect decent graphics from a game I dont care about story. Therefore you ended up at the assumption that i must play mindless games like GTA. Nice one.

And i don't know why people mindlessly praise Telltale as being somesort of Master-race of writers. They're simply not that good, mediocre at best. BTTF-TG was an awful story, all around, confusing comedy with stupidity.

Personally, i'd be happy if Telltale left both of my most beloved franchises alone to begin with.
  • edited June 2011
    The reason why graphics are an essential part of any modern day game, is because they are there to immerse you, the better they are, the better they do that. However in this case, with the bad graphical examples above, players notice this and DETRACTS from the experience, sure the story may be fantastic (Doubtful) but if i see something that doesnt look right on screen, it's going to take the person playing OUT of the story altogether.

Do you understand how this can affect the game experience?

Yeah I do understand, I understand that certain dipsticks like you watch a game and point out minor things like hey did you see that, the character doesn't have a shadow under that tree, I totally can't play the rest of this game now! :rolleyes: You aren't happy unless it's an absolute perfect quality picture yawn.
    Who cares if the design is a fucking year old, that's nothing! When graphics get to the point that it looks as real as the scenery you see outside in the real world, then to me it's no longer a game and just art!

Back in the days of the PS1 we never cared about the graphics and it was always more about the gameplay. Well that's where modern gaming for me has gone wrong. Suddenly it's important that when we're standing in the sea the water is crystal clear, yawn if I want to do that i'll go and stand in the sea in the real world!

This has nothing to do with anything, you assume because i expect decent graphics from a game I dont care about story. Therefore you ended up at the assumption that i must play mindless games like GTA. Nice one.

Nah not just GTA4 but I was being sarcastic. I just used GTA4 as an example what with it being graphically brilliant and visually immersive, not to mention downright boring! :rolleyes:
    And i don't know why people mindlessly praise Telltale as being somesort of Master-race of writers. They're simply not that good, mediocre at best. BTTF-TG was an awful story, all around, confusing comedy with stupidity.

Some of us actually enjoyed Bttf, and I haven't actually said that Telltale are a master race, I leave that to the chinese :D
    Personally, i'd be happy if Telltale left both of my most beloved franchises alone to begin with.
    Yeah I mean TT are already previewing the JP game with 2011 graphics so that's a serious violation :D
  • edited June 2011
    I just spent a good 45 minutes writing a detailed, well though out response to what you had to say.

But of course, something went wrong and i lost it all. But i digress.

I'll be replying in noteform instead now.

Yeah I do understand, I understand that certain dipsticks like you watch a game and point out minor things like hey did you see that, the character doesn't have a shadow under that tree, I totally can't play the rest of this game now! :rolleyes: You aren't happy unless it's an absolute perfect quality picture yawn.

Grow up. Name calling not needed.
    I don't.
    Graphical bugs when displayed for long amounts of time on screen, distract from the game.
    Devs obviously see these, decide to to nothing about it.
    Nothing is perfect.
    I expect effort to be put into any game i decide to buy.
    Graphics are a huge factor in game reviews too.
    TT need to realise they cant get by on story alone.
    The real world has caught up with them.
    They need to step up their game to survive.
    Who cares if the design is a fucking year old, that's nothing! When graphics get to the point that it looks as real as the scenery you see outside in the real world, then to me it's no longer a game and just art!

What's wrong with games looking as good as they can?
    Nothing. That's what.
    Back in the days of the PS1 we never cared about the graphics and it was always more about the gameplay. Well that's where modern gaming for me has gone wrong. Suddenly it's important that when we're standing in the sea the water is crystal clear, yawn if I want to do that i'll go and stand in the sea in the real world!

Don't lie. Of course people did.
    Graphics back then were just as important as they are now, in reviews etc.
    Crossing technical boundries in computers and consoles, achieving artistic goals, Immersing the player in more immersive, believable environments. Negative thing according to you.
    Nah not just GTA4 but I was being sarcastic. I just used GTA4 as an example what with it being graphically brilliant and visually immersive, not to mention downright boring! :rolleyes:

'Graphically brilliant', 'Visually immersive.'
    Using these two phrases to describe a game contradicts your argument.
  • edited June 2011
    If this can't be discussed in a civil way, I'll close this thread faster than the doors of Ingen.
  • edited June 2011
    All I have to say is, I don't care a lot about the graphics, I never really noticed anything wrong to be honest(Mostly because I'm uneducated on this kinda thing...) I noticed that awful looking egg shell. I do think if Telltale wants this product sold, they should pull out all the stops on this game because aside from us everybody else is looking for a game that has beautiful up to date graphics. If it's financially feasable I think you should fix every graphic flaw. I love JP and I expect that this is going to be an excellent story, I know it will. TT ARE great writers and story tellers.

BTTF was spot on, they had everything they needed for the story and I did notice that the graphics weren't amazing, but I understood that they didn't HAVE to be simply because of the art form you chose to make it in. I played Strong Bad on my PS3 and it was AWESOME and I thought the graphics were great with that. But once again they couldn't make him photo realistic LOL.

All in all I do think these things should be fixed so that critics and Youtubers alike don't have anything to rag on TellTale about. As for me, I'm fine with the way things are...except that egg shell...it just annoys me.
  • edited June 2011
    The graphics are very important and the video shows many errors, bad dinosaur movement and facial movement horrible but have said is a BETA DEMO under development, although not perfectly finished with which I hope the final product is best.

The story of Dilo seemed very interesting and disturbing. Many people criticize the game because it's just pressing buttons occasionally while watching an animated movie as they say.

However it seems to me very interesting, it is true it could be otherwise but more importantly this game is to tell an interesting story and I think it's a good way as it is doing TT.

Anyone know if it will include subtitles in Spanish of Spain?

• edited June 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    All I have to say is, I don't care a lot about the graphics, I never really noticed anything wrong to be honest(Mostly because I'm uneducated on this kinda thing...) I noticed that awful looking egg shell. I do think if Telltale wants this product sold, they should pull out all the stops on this game because aside from us everybody else is looking for a game that has beautiful up to date graphics. If it's financially feasable I think you should fix every graphic flaw. I love JP and I expect that this is going to be an excellent story, I know it will. TT ARE great writers and story tellers.

You mean they should...spare no expense?

*waits for the groans*
  • edited June 2011
    You mean they should...spare no expense?

*waits for the groans*

:) I couldn't have put it better myself.
  • edited August 2011
    While I agree that Telltale would do well to update their graphics engine, that is not what TTG is about. Telltale is about telling a good story and having some fun gameplay and within the confines of a comfortable file download size, which it seems is anywhere between 150 - 400 MB. Granted, I would be more than fine with a file for each episode that was 1 -2 GB for the sake of higher resolution graphics, that isn't what they are going for. Jurassic Park and Back to the Future show that, at least with these Universal games, they are going for just a few steps above "casual" gaming.

After Sam & Max season 3, most of their outings have been a helluva lot more casual, and it seems like this might be a trend. With these big properties they've got to have mass appeal, which means easier games with small download sizes, and smaller sizes means that the graphics aren't a high priority (not that they've always been with TTG, but Sam & Max and Monkey Island take to the cartoonish look better than this game does). I hope the Walking Dead is a bit more hard core (I love the cell shaded look, and I hope that is an in-game screen shot floating around).
  • edited August 2011
    Very bad graphics. I was very surprised to see something so poor. :(
  • edited August 2011
    Telltale Games, I think you guys need to put Jurassic Parks graphics like FarCry2, Red Dead Redemption, or any graphics that would make the game realistic. Also the sound in the Tyrannosaur needs to be exactly like the one from the movie or your rating will go down. Not to put you down. But the game will be put to shame as it is right now if you don't give the people and customers what they want. I would go with a free roam and multiplayer if I were you. I want to be a game designer once I graduate which is this year by the way. So I could come help you guys. lol
  • edited August 2011
    Rynoxdog wrote: »
    Telltale Games, I think you guys need to put Jurassic Parks graphics like FarCry2, Red Dead Redemption, or any graphics that would make the game realistic. Also the sound in the Tyrannosaur needs to be exactly like the one from the movie or your rating will go down. Not to put you down. But the game will be put to shame as it is right now if you don't give the people and customers what they want. I would go with a free roam and multiplayer if I were you. I want to be a game designer once I graduate which is this year by the way. So I could come help you guys. lol
    They already fixed the T-Rex's roar...
  • edited August 2011
    Thank God! But they still need to work on the story mode and the controls. They need to put it in free roam because what person wants to go through a story mode and see dinosaurs whenever you can make a game where you go find the dinosaurs? I mean it would have such a higher rating and include a multiplayer where other players could roam with you and so forth.
  • edited August 2011
    This is very unrealistic expectation this far along in the game's development. The don't just "put-in" things, this game's very concept is a cinematic, interactive experience that is the complete opposite of what you are describing.
  • edited August 2011
    True, you do have a point. Maybe they will make another one in the future and take people's ideas rather than throwing something together.
  • edited August 2011
    They didn't just throw something together. They took their time and even delayed the game to make it as great of a game as it can be with the type of gameplay they are aiming for. They did a great job of creating the look and feel of the original Jurassic park film.

This is, of course, all based off of the most recent photos and videos of the game. i can't really be 100% sure untill I play all four episodes. But I trust that TellTale is giving us an awesome Jurassic Park game.
  • edited August 2011
    You know. I know a lot of people are against me on this, but do we really need completely free roaming in this game....just wandering around...getting killed; wishing you had asked for a gun too, and then wishing it was a completely different type of game when you get lost on the opposite side of the island than you need to be to progress. For what the game is, for telltale, just let them do their "thing" with it. Could you imagine dropping sam & max on an entire open island and have the game go "okay, figure out what to do". Talk about making a game impossible. I really am a big fan of open world games...it just doesn't belong in what telltale currently does. Nice to look around, but it would make the game less fluid...and that's a severe understatement.
  • edited August 2011
    Ya, I will just have to wait and try it out and maybe it will turn out good and I just don't realize it. But the free roam would be a neat idea for other game designers to try to pull off. Maybe if they try and do "The Lost World" that they should put free roam in and guns and stuff and the vehicles they used in the movie.
  • edited August 2011
    A was shocked when i saw the trailer of the game...The graphics are abysmal.....Really i don't expect crysis level graphics but....the existing graphics look like something aka circa 2000....No shadows,super low textures everywhere,low polygon models everywhere....no hdr,horrible animations....For god shake if you try to release something so sensitive and loved by people please do it right....

Don't get me wrong i picked and loved sam and max but the original was an early pixelated cartoony game so the simple graphics were spot on.

But when i bought back to the future -even through i had seen many screenshots i ....was very disappointed about the game....I want to be honest....I loved the story and i loved their puzzles (especially with the helpfull hint system) and the voice overs were fantastic(i could not believe that marty was not voiced by m j fox) and the music was spot on...But the graphics....Were abysmal....Doc was horrible,einstain didn't even have fur...he was textured with a fur texture...Even the coolest car of all time was simplified ....

I just hope telltale developers realize that graphics are important too and improve them.
  • edited August 2011
    The graphics are not bad. I've seen bad graphcis and Jurassic Park: The Game does not have them.

They don't have the best graphics but just because it doesn't have the same graphics as whatever game you're compairing it too doesn't automaticly make Jurassic Park's graphics abysmal.
  • edited August 2011
    Game looks great, honestly the trailers do not do it justice. Watching some of the gameplay videos of PAX, I now have an all new respect for the direction Telltale took the game.
  • BenBen Former Telltale Staff
    edited August 2011
    Graphics circa 2000:
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/011/011726/imgs_1.html
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/014/014054/imgs_1.html
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/011/011727/imgs_1.html
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/011/011735/imgs_1.html

I think we forget how far technology has come sometimes. That being said, I'm not going to claim Jurassic Park will have "good" graphics for anyone's definition of good. What I will say is that it will have better graphics than BTTF, and worse graphics than many cutting edge games released in the last few years.

I actually like reading theads like this btw. Obviously I (we) don't have the resources to go through and "fix" everything anyone mentions as looking bad. But at the very least, it's interesting to get a feel for things that stand out as looking poor to people.
  • edited August 2011
    I just hope they make "The Lost World" lol
  • edited August 2011
    Well actually some games looked incredible even back in 2000 if you don't remember check
    Outcast here :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntwoGyCM3o&feature=related

(This was made using a voxel engine if you remember and had music composed by the moscow symphonic orchistra! )

Or check Shenmue here :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLwCMNg6NGo

And remember the above are 12 years old..(both were released in 1999 if i am not mistaken)
  • edited August 2011
    I feel the graphics are accessible and have a great art style that fit Jurassic Park to a T. So long as they sort out glitches, loading times and graphical bugs. i'm happy
  • edited August 2011
    TP3D wrote: »
    Game looks great, honestly the trailers do not do it justice. Watching some of the gameplay videos of PAX, I now have an all new respect for the direction Telltale took the game.

Great ? For God's shake don't behave like a fanboy or something...If i did not like telltale's games i would not have bought and played through the new sam and max games and the back to the future games.But what was perfect for a sequal to an old cartoon adventure of the early 90's was abysmal for one of the most loved trilogy's of our time.I liked a lot in that game but i hated the graphics .

And now they are going to do the same with jurassic park.I bet they have some great gameplay/puzzle ideas for the game but from what i have seen i was shocked.Because it looks less horrible and less hideous then back to the future that DOES not make it ok for telltale to release a "copy and paste" graphically game.When i see polygonal eggs,no shadows,horrible transparency and missing reflection/retraction effects,Super low textures and Super low models for everything what the hell do you expect me to say ?
    Bravo ?

Let's clear something,telltale was founded by ex looking glass devs if i am not mistaken and i consider them close to gods of gaming.I can understand that initially they did not have the budget and funds to make a game with good graphics that's why the stayed to cartoon like games like sam and max,monkey island and bone out of bonevile.But when you move to some iconic movies like back to the future and jurassic park you should and you must do better graphics.

I really think you all forget why we loved those movies in the begining.When i saw jurassic park first time at the theater i was mesmerised.Since then very few movies have done that for me(well stargate ,the mummie and matrix were some to be honest...).It was the first movie i saw where dinosaurs looked like..real animals and not like puppets,i still remember the scene with the glass of water that starts vibrating as the t-rex comes close...

When i have really complex and deep games like bioshock 1/2,mass effect 1/2,oblivion,fallout 3 and 4,gothic 4,far cry 2,stalker clear sky and call of prypiat,deus ex hr,crysis 1 etc..i do expect something better than the mess they call a game now...
  • edited August 2011
    Agreed!!!!!!
  • edited August 2011
    ......Have you even seen the Action Montage? Or did you go to PAX and check out the gameplay for yourself? I'm sorry, but the main complaint seems to be graphics and Telltale has really improved. Back to the Future was not graphically amazing because they wanted it to be in an artistic style that was different from realism. I'm impressed with how far they've come, and by now they can't go back and fix anything. So why are you bitching to them now when you could have done it months ago?
  • edited September 2011
    I like how he has Oblivion and Fallout 3 in that list but Jurassic Park: The Game clearly has better graphics than those two games.

But really, what's with the whole graphics thing anyway. Are you really trying to tell me that Jurassic Park: The Game will not be fun because the graphics don't look good to you? That's a bunch of bull if you ask me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.