Puzzle agent 2 PC (steam) not working

edited January 2012 in Game Support
Hihi, ok so ive tried so many tricks to try getting this to work, reinstall, updating graphics/sound drivers, registry yada yada... and just... nothing works.

Ok so what happens is the game loads up, i get the first two screens (Telltale and Graham Hannable credits) and... crashes, it says "grickle102.exe" is not responding and just closes. Now i've also tryed Puzzle agent 1 and the same thing happens even though i could play it fine before back when 1 was released, i get "grickle101.exe" is not responding.

Is anyone else having problems with the PC version? im running it on Steam on windows 7 64bit with a GTX 480 Nvidia card.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    a quick update.... after more driver tinkering ive gotten PA1 working, but now PA2 only opens windowed (not fullscreen) and crashes on the telltale screen. I havn't a clue what to do anymore.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm moving this thread to support, so it can receive the attention it needs.
  • edited July 2011
    win7 64bit, radeon 5550
    same error as above..
    updated video drivers (catalyst 11.6) and the game does not even start (preparing for launch Puzzle agent 2... and then nothing, no error.. nothing :)
    any ideas?
  • edited July 2011
    run it in windows xp(sp3) compatibilty mode..
    works for me..
    (seems like problems with uac, imo)
  • edited July 2011
    Having the same problem. I have the game on steam, so I can't run it in compatibility mode.
  • BlitzciBlitzci Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    We tried to reproduce the problem on a couple of systems that were similar to welshwuff's, but we didn't see it occur.

From anyone who's having the problem, can I get a dxdiag?

[Type dxdiag into the search bar in the Start menu and press Enter. Press the "Save all information" button and save the text file to your computer. Then attach that file to a post in this thread.]

The dxdiag should give us additional information that may be helpful in testing the problem.
  • edited July 2011
    Here you go. In 2 parts because of file size restrictions.
  • edited July 2011
    @ boney, your onboard video driver is almost a year old, try updating it from nvidia.

And your sound driver is almost 2 years old, update it from RealTek.
  • edited July 2011
    I am also having this same problem and here is my DxDiag:
  • edited July 2011
    I'm having the exact same issue, down to the exact point in time it crashes. Always just after the third chime on the title screen.
  • edited July 2011
    @ Affrayer, your sound driver is almost 3 years old, Realtek do almost monthly driver releases.

And check Event Viewer for the crash log.

EDIT: Caralad, your sound driver is also pretty old. The above suggestions apply to you also.
  • edited July 2011
    Kleetus wrote: »
    @ Affrayer, your sound driver is almost 3 years old, Realtek do almost monthly driver releases.

And check Event Viewer for the crash log.

EDIT: Caralad, your sound driver is also pretty old. The above suggestions apply to you also.

I hit the update drivers option on my sound driver option just this morning, so I don't know if that just hasn't updated yet or not. Either way that didn't solve the issue.
  • edited July 2011
    I have managed to get it working and played though the game 100% XP I did the windows xp combatibility thing, yes it is possible though steam, you have to find hiden in your steam folders "grickle102.exe", and set the combatibility to windows XP, maybe higher, didnt bother finding out when this works perfectly fine.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2011

Some old Realtek drivers have definitely caused problems with TTGs games in the past.
    @Caralad, affrayer and boneykingofnowhere
    Please try installing the latest Realtek HDA Driver.
  • edited July 2011
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Some old Realtek drivers have definitely caused problems with TTGs games in the past.
    @Caralad, affrayer and boneykingofnowhere
    Please try installing the latest Realtek HDA Driver.

Thanks for the link!

I had actually tried updating the sound driver before posting and it said I had the latest version. :/ Will try this. Thanks again!
  • edited July 2011
    Okay, so the audio fix did nothing but running it with Windows XP (service pack 3) compatibility mode did the trick. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions! Gonna go play this great game now. :)
  • edited July 2011
    The audio fix did nothing for me either. Also I've tried running it in compatability mode (xp sp3) and I've tried running it as admin from the Steam folder but I've still have 0 success.
  • edited July 2011
    Caralad, try verifying the files via Steam.

And try other compatibility modes.
  • edited July 2011
    Verifying the files was one of the first things I did, just incase.

So apparently the only compatability mode that works is windows 2003. Not one of the vista or xp compatability options worked.

So I've got it working I guess, but it's kind of a hokey work around.
  • edited July 2011
    When compatiblity mode works, when a game otherwise shouldn't need it, it normally means you don't have all the correct redistributables installed, ie Visual C++ and DX.

Another thing also is to never install your games to Program Files or Program Files (86).

Use another path, like C:\Games.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Another thing also is to never install your games to Program Files or Program Files (86).

Just curious, is this because of admin rights?
  • edited July 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Just curious, is this because of admin rights?

Yes, it causes heaps of problems with permissions and access, even with an Admin account.

Program Files, Program Files (86) and Windows folders are all protected.

It wasn't such an issue with XP, but with Vista and Windows 7 UAC is far more agressive.
  • edited July 2011
    When compatiblity mode works, when a game otherwise shouldn't need it, it normally means you don't have all the correct redistributables installed, ie Visual C++ and DX.

Or if you are really crazy (like me) install your games to another hard drive ;-)
  • edited July 2011
    I just woke up and now it's not working again. Literally no settings have changed sind then so I personally don't understand.
  • edited July 2011
    I am having the same problem. I am trying to play on my laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GT 420M graphics card, and I just updated all of my drivers. I load up the game, get the first part of the TTG symbol, here the first little chime of the music, and then it crashes giving me the grickle.102 error.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Caralad wrote: »
    I just woke up and now it's not working again. Literally no settings have changed sind then so I personally don't understand.

Do you have any other programs running in the background this time?
    Korne wrote: »
    I am having the same problem. I am trying to play on my laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GT 420M graphics card, and I just updated all of my drivers. I load up the game, get the first part of the TTG symbol, here the first little chime of the music, and then it crashes giving me the grickle.102 error.

Any chance it's trying to load up with graphics settings greater than your machine can handle?

It might be worth trying this... Here's a low-spec prefs.prop file that will start the game in 800x600, windowed. Search for prefs.prop on your install drive and replace the file with this one, unzipped (make sure you get the Puzzle Agent 2 folder if you have multiple Telltale games installed). Wouldn't hurt to make a backup of your existing one.
  • edited July 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Any chance it's trying to load up with graphics settings greater than your machine can handle?

It might be worth trying this... Here's a low-spec prefs.prop file that will start the game in 800x600, windowed. Search for prefs.prop on your install drive and replace the file with this one, unzipped (make sure you get the Puzzle Agent 2 folder if you have multiple Telltale games installed). Wouldn't hurt to make a backup of your existing one.
    I tried this, but the same thing sort of happened. The only difference is that the screen loaded faster (expected though with the low specs).
  • edited July 2011
    Can you guys check Event Viewer and post what the exact crash details are?
  • edited July 2011
    Can you guys check Event Viewer and post what the exact crash details are?

I have the Event Viewer saved... how do I post them on this forum?
  • edited July 2011
    Just post the details for the game crash, not the entire Event Viewer log.

It should only be a few lines telling you what file crashed and error code etc.
  • edited July 2011
    Faulting application name: Grickle102.exe, version: 2011.6.27.61593, time stamp: 0x4e09226b
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16695, time stamp: 0x4cc7ab86
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000cea27
    Faulting process id: 0x1590
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc39a82f42a3cf
    Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\puzzle agent 2\Grickle102.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 732525d0-a59b-11e0-8d2a-60eb694bbbbe
  • edited July 2011
    I assumed you've tried all the previous suggestions, like verifying files, compatibility mode, running as Admin etc?

Another thing to try is a clean boot and run the game.

And lastly, you'll need to uninstall the game from Program Files and install it elsewhere.

I know that's a pain with Steam, and it may not help for this issue, but you need to eliminate all possible causes.
  • edited July 2011
    I assumed you've tried all the previous suggestions, like verifying files, compatibility mode, running as Admin etc?

Another thing to try is a clean boot and run the game.

And lastly, you'll need to uninstall the game from Program Files and install it elsewhere.

I know that's a pain with Steam, and it may not help for this issue, but you need to eliminate all possible causes.

I can reinstall it elsewhere, but I dont really really know how to run as admin/compatability mode. I'll take it one step at a time and let you know what happens. TY for being patient with me (and helping me of course).
  • edited July 2011
    I dont really really know how to run as admin/compatibility mode.

It's fairly simple.

Right-click the game's executable Grickle102.exe, then Properties.

In the Compatibility tab, check the box "Run this program in Compatibility Mode For" and select the operating system from the drop-down box (you may need to try one at a time if the first selection doesn't work), check the box "Run this program as Administrator" under "Privelage Level", then apply.

That's pretty much it.

Info: To quickly run a program as Admin, you can right-click it's executable and select Run as Administrator, but this needs to be done every time you start the program.
    TY for being patient with me (and helping me of course).

You're welcome, I hope you get this sorted.
  • edited July 2011
    Running it in compatability mode worked. I switched the game back to its normal settings and it works fine. Thanks again for the help.
  • edited July 2011
    You're welcome, I'm glad it's working.

Have fun.
  • edited July 2011
    Puzzle Agent 2 doesn't work for me either. When it starts up it goes into a really low resolution and it looks like Puzzle Agent 2 doesn't allow you to change that anywhere in any files or settings outside of the game.

My screen flashes over and over and will stay stable for a few seconds, but the computer stops responding. One time I got a BSOD. I found out that the game was crashing the ATI driver and Windows kept restarting it only to then have Puzzle Agent 2 immediately crash it again.

I have the latest ATI driver installed. I've tried it in compatibility mode as well and Puzzle Agent 1 played for me fine.
  • edited July 2011
    What version ATI driver do you have, have you tried the prefs file PuzzleBox has uploaded, and post a DXDiag.

Also, check Event Viewer for details of the BSoD.
  • edited July 2011
    Hey, I am having similar problems with this. When I try to start the game it closes immediately. Tried all the steps mentioned above, also tried starting PC with nothing running but still not working.

I'm running Win7 32-bit with Ati HD4850 graphics card. Had similar problems with PA1 but it managed to get it working by updating all my drivers.

Here's the event log and my dxdiag.
  • edited July 2011
    @ Slimer, all your drivers are OK, so I would be looking at DX and Visual C++ redistributables, and running it as admin.

I would also install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer if it's suitable for your system.

And make sure your AMD Control Panel is set to "Application Controlled" and that you aren't forcing anything.

BTW, I have a 4890 with v11.4 and never had a single issue, there's no reason why it shouldn't be working for you.
This discussion has been closed.