Puzzle agent 2 PC (steam) not working

2»

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I've reinstalled DX, Visual C++ and the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer, I thought I had the latest ones already but better to be safe than sorry. Checked the Control Panel and everything was already set to application controlled, i also disabled "Adaptive Anti-Aliasing" to see if that would help.

Ran as admin, tried all the compatibilities and it's still not running. Running it from the .exe in the steam folder on my drive (which is on a seperate hdd that only has steam on it). When I run it, it comes up saying it's starting up, then I get an application window flash on my screen for a split-second before it closes down again. Checked the event log and it's the same error details.

As a quick side-note - I found out that if you run the application from Steam directly then it doesn't generate a log in the event viewer for some reason, but running it from the executable does.
  • edited July 2011
    As it's a Steam game, try deleting/renaming Grickle102.exe and run the game through Steam so it downloads another copy, or try downloading the entire game, it's not that large.

And try running Steam as admin or compatibility mode, and then run the game.

I assume you've tried Puzzlebox's low res prefs file?

I really don't know why it's not working for you, and without having the PC in front of me, I'm out of any further ideas.
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah, still no joy. Oh well, I'm in the process of building a new pc anyway so I'll just wait till that's up and running to get my gnome puzzle fix! It's weird as well that the other Telltale games I have run fine.

Thanks for the help anyways, I'll keep at it and I'll let you know if I figure it out.
  • edited July 2011
    Good luck, and post back if you sort it out, as it will help others.
  • edited July 2011
    I found a workaround for my issue, unfortunately it doesn't sound like it would work for you. I have two ATI cards and disabling Crossfire allowed me to start the game. Also the game works fine with Crossfire enabled in windowed mode.
  • edited August 2011
    I get the Telltale screen, then the Grahm Annabel screen, then it crashes and says "Grickle102.exe has stopped working"
    Windows Vista
    Got it off steam
    I've already tried reinstalling and updating video cards...
    Please help, I really enjoyed the first one and want to enjoy the second
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2011
    zap1000x wrote: »
    I get the Telltale screen, then the Grahm Annabel screen, then it crashes and says "Grickle102.exe has stopped working"
    Windows Vista
    Got it off steam
    I've already tried reinstalling and updating video cards...
    Please help, I really enjoyed the first one and want to enjoy the second
    DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 3). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

Your dxdiag crashed earlier and there are parts missing. That could be a hint about what's wrong. Try running it again to see if it happens again.

Besides that, you could try disabling the sound devices you don't use in the device manager, and unplugging all USB devices except mouse or keyboard.
  • edited January 2012
    hi,
    i'm having the same problem and nothing works what can i do?

System Information
    Machine name: TOSHIBA-C650D
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Language: Portuguese (Regional Setting: Portuguese)
    System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    System Model: Satellite C650D
    BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.70
    Processor: AMD V120 Processor, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3834MB RAM
    Page File: 2233MB used, 5434MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9712)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9712&SUBSYS_FDE41179&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1913 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 252 MB
    Shared Memory: 1661 MB
    Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Monitor PnP Genérico
    Monitor Model: LP156WH2-TLAA
    Monitor Id: LGD0230
    Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.973Hz)
    Output Type: Internal

I know it is not a good system but it should run!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
This discussion has been closed.