[Sam & Max] Season 1 (Steam ver.) won't start, crashes immediately

edited August 2011 in Game Support
I went and bought the entire Sam & Max collection on Steam, back when it was on a midweek madness sale last month. I couldn't download them right away because of my bandwidth limit, until just recently when I downloaded them all so I could play through them. However, there seems to be a problem.

Upon starting any of the Sam & Max: Season 1 episodes ("Culture Shock", "Situation: Comedy", "The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball", "Abe Lincoln Must Die!", "Reality 2.0", and "Bright Side of the Moon") on my Windows XP-based computer, I am greeted with the game crashing on me, with the following messages:

SamAndMaxCrash.png

None of the 2nd or 3rd season episodes crash on me, and I've tried the 1st season episodes on my brother's computer, and my father's laptop, and it gives me the same errors. I believe this is a problem with the Steam version, as I was able to play the free version of "Abe Lincoln Must Die!" without any problems, and (please don't think about me negatively for this) I was even able to substitute "alternative" EXE files for my Sam & Max games, and then they work just fine through Steam.

However, I don't want to resort to using illegitimate files just to get 'em working. Telltale Games, please fix whatever problem's causing the first season's episodes to not work with the Steam version.

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I don't think Telltale barely cares man. I have sent a video, pics, and highly descriptive info, telltale does nothing but tell me to follow the instructions with the msconfig. Which I have extensively, VERY extensively and it still refuses to respond.

I run Windows 7, I own the first 3 episodes to the Sam and Max game on Disk. I install, run and the game crashes before it even starts, much like yours except I get no error message.

I have recently purchased Sam and Max Season 2 on Steam while on their Summer Sale, the game still flops and fails to even run.

in my opinion, there is a problem with the .exe itself. There is a 1.0.0.3 Patch for the Ice Station Santa, I haven't found any others.

I among others would like SOME answers to how to fix this.
    I have seen people try to set this thing to admin, run it with compatibility, etc. We don't know WHAT else to try.....
  • edited August 2011
    Looks like my post got deleted. I'll re-post it.
    Well, that sucks, then. I feel kinda ripped off since they don't work like they should, but at least I can play the Season 1 episodes using cracked EXE files, even if it's not morally correct.

(EDIT: Decided to rephrase what I had said earlier.)

And zyguy's, too.
    zyguy wrote:
    Morally Correct or not, People are going to turn to that if TellTale doesn't fix ANYTHING...

HINT HINT! IF THE TELLTALE FORUM ADMINS ARE EVEN READING THE POSTS! XD
    ....All in all, if worse comes to worse, I may as well look up some free version of Linux, run it as an emulation on my PC and see if I can get it to work then. XD

Later!

...and the first season STILL won't work for me. Looks like I'm just getting ignored. At least give me SOME SORT OF SOLUTION to fix it.
  • edited August 2011
    Have you sent an email to support@telltalegames.com?

If so what's your issue ticket number?
  • edited August 2011
    I have about a year or so ago along with a link to a vid on my you tube account. I don't know if I still have the email, but the vid is still on my account.

The vid shows my attempt to play the first 3 episodes of Same and Max, I can set the link up here if its preferred.
  • edited August 2011
    zyguy wrote: »
    I have about a year or so ago along with a link to a vid on my you tube account. I don't know if I still have the email, but the vid is still on my account.

The vid shows my attempt to play the first 3 episodes of Same and Max, I can set the link up here if its preferred.

wats the name of ur youtube channel or the sam and max vid i wanna see the vid
This discussion has been closed.