Preparing for the JP Game & JP Blu-ray Releases

edited August 2011 in Jurassic Park
I've been doing quite a bit of research into what devices, equipment, etc. that I want to acquire for an outstanding JP entertainment experience when the game and blu-ray discs come out.

There are, however, certain oddities and frustrations I've come across that make me pause for a bit as I am carefully considering what things I want to buy in conjunction with the release of JP The Game and JP on Blu-ray.

First off, up to this point, I have been a supporter of building a personal media library that is entirely digitally based and not comprised of any physical media (i.e. yes to digital files, no to physical discs). Thus, I haven't even jumped on board or even tried Blu-ray at all since its existence. So I don't know too much about the Blu-ray movie market. However, upon reviewing the specs and details of the upcoming JP on Blu-ray disc set, it appears to me that "only" if you buy JP on Blu-ray do you also get all the bonus features that are listed on each of the discs. If the JP to Blu-ray release is treated similarly as the BTTF to Blu-ray release, I am going to guess that means the JP trilogy will be released on iTunes for purchase as well at the same time the Blu-ray release happens. And from what I have seen with the BTTF movies on iTunes, you "only" get the movies themselves and "no bonus content" correct? Of course, my hope has been that the Blu-ray version of a movie and all its content should be equally matched to its respective iTunes version. However, it would appear that such is not the case correct? As I have suggested previously, it has been my primary preference to acquire and collect media via iTunes and not buying discs. However, I'm open to change depending on market trends, media format support, etc.

With all the previous statements in mind, it would appear that if I also want to get the bonus content with the JP movies, I have no choice but to get JP on Blu-ray, am I right? Therefore, that is what I am preparing for. So now, what should I do for a Blu-ray player?

I personally favor owning devices that stand out in the market as being the "gold standard" in its class, as well as being the ultimate "all-in-one" device. Hence, I own a MacBook Pro 17 in. and an iPhone 4 for example. Ideally, if MacBooks natively had Blu-ray drives installed, then done deal. However, Apple has apparently not been a supporter of Blu-ray and has shown no evidence that they ever will in the near future. I did a lot of online research to see if it was possible for someone to be able to take a third-party, internal notebook Blu-ray drive and install into the MacBook Pro. However, the answer unfortunately seems to mostly be a big no. If someone reading this, however, can prove otherwise, I would be extremely grateful.

The closest solutions I found have to integrating Blu-ray functionality into my MacBook Pro would have to come in the form of an external drive, which I do not prefer. There does, however, seem to be only one internal, notebook Blu-ray drive on FastMac.com that claims it can be installed in a number of MacBook models. Just not my specific one; i.e. their drive supports installation into the MacBook Pro 17 in. "non-unibody" but I own the newer unibody version.

So, if I can't simply add Blu-ray functionality to my MacBook Pro, and I don't own a PS3 nor do I want to get one, what's the next best solution?

My next preference would be to get an LCD TV with a "built-in" Blu-ray player drive. I just researched that, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too much support for that either. That is, very exceedingly few TVs have this feature. If the TV does have this feature, most are of a small screen size and I would want at least perhaps 45". If anyone finds any info to the contrary, I would of course appreciate the feedback.

Thus bringing me down to my least preferred method, the standalone Blu-ray player. Which, after all I have said, may be my only choice unfortunately. I'm also tempted to just put off jumping on getting JP for Blu-ray until a solution comes up where I can get a Blu-ray drive into my MacBook Pro. Then again, from the very beginning I've always wanted to avoid all the Blu-ray nonsense and just be able to download everything. If I do jump on Blu-ray, the only motivating factor for doing so is JP and I don't foresee that I'll ever want any other Blu-ray movies. But then I can't get the bonus content if I only go digital. So frustrating!

What do all of you think?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    :u dont have to get the blu-ray to watch the bonus features if u go to http://www.jurassicpark.com and scroll down a tad bit to where it says bonus features it says specificly bonus features for blu-ray and dvd. so dont waste your money on a blue ray player and crap like that unless u truly want to expierence JP like never before:)
  • edited August 2011
    SeanJP wrote: »
    :u dont have to get the blu-ray to watch the bonus features if u go to http://www.jurassicpark.com and scroll down a tad bit to where it says bonus features it says specificly bonus features for blu-ray and dvd. so dont waste your money on a blue ray player and crap like that unless u truly want to expierence JP like never before:)

Good point. I didn't notice that before. Specifically in that, it did not dawn on me that they are also releasing a new DVD version too along with the Blu-ray version. Additionally, both the DVD and Blu-ray version seem to apparently be "exactly" the same, except for the audio and video specifications of the main film itself, yes? Also, if I am reading the page right, it looks like both the DVD and Blu-ray version will come with a digital copy feature. However, as far as the digital copies feature goes, I have a few concerns that maybe someone can provide some feedback on:

Firstly, the "offer expires" condition that is listed with the digital copy. What does that mean exactly? To me, it could mean a few different things. It could either mean the digital copy that you get with the physical disc has a built-in "expiration date" condition that will cause the movie file to be unplayable once the expiration date has been reached. OR, it could mean that between October 25, 2011 and December 31, 2012 you have the chance to freely get the digital copies of the films, own them, and play them however many times you want with no date/time restriction. But after 12/31/2012, the ability to get the digital copies will be disabled. Can anybody clarify this for me please?

My other and last concern with the digital copies, is the technical specifications of those digital copies. For example, if I buy the new JP Trilogy set on "DVD" on October 25, are the digital copies in high definition, standard definition, or both? Or do I have to buy the Blu-ray disc set to get the high definition digital copies?
  • edited August 2011
    jmine83 wrote: »
    Good point. I didn't notice that before. Specifically in that, it did not dawn on me that they are also releasing a new DVD version too along with the Blu-ray version. Additionally, both the DVD and Blu-ray version seem to apparently be "exactly" the same, except for the audio and video specifications of the main film itself, yes? Also, if I am reading the page right, it looks like both the DVD and Blu-ray version will come with a digital copy feature. However, as far as the digital copies feature goes, I have a few concerns that maybe someone can provide some feedback on:

Firstly, the "offer expires" condition that is listed with the digital copy. What does that mean exactly? To me, it could mean a few different things. It could either mean the digital copy that you get with the physical disc has a built-in "expiration date" condition that will cause the movie file to be unplayable once the expiration date has been reached. OR, it could mean that between October 25, 2011 and December 31, 2012 you have the chance to freely get the digital copies of the films, own them, and play them however many times you want with no date/time restriction. But after 12/31/2012, the ability to get the digital copies will be disabled. Can anybody clarify this for me please?

My other and last concern with the digital copies, is the technical specifications of those digital copies. For example, if I buy the new JP Trilogy set on "DVD" on October 25, are the digital copies in high definition, standard definition, or both? Or do I have to buy the Blu-ray disc set to get the high definition digital copies?
    From my experience with the BTTF 25th Anniversary edition, it's an expiry date for redeeming the digital copy. Any time past that date it may or may not work. You digital copies are infinitely playable once you have them, but can only be registered to 5 (or so) different computers. You can redeem the code for Windows Media or iTunes, but only one not both.
  • edited August 2011
    From my experience with the BTTF 25th Anniversary edition, it's an expiry date for redeeming the digital copy. Any time past that date it may or may not work. You digital copies are infinitely playable once you have them, but can only be registered to 5 (or so) different computers. You can redeem the code for Windows Media or iTunes, but only one not both.

Okay. Good to know. Thank you. But how about the technical specifications of the digital copy? In spite of whether you purchased DVD or Blu-ray, do you get to choose whether to get the "standard definition" file, the "high definition" file, or maybe you get both?

My hope of course is that I can simply buy the DVD package set, then get the digital copies of the films in "high definition". Because natively, DVD is standard definition.
  • edited August 2011
    Okay. Good to know. Thank you. But how about the technical specifications of the digital copy? In spite of whether you purchased DVD or Blu-ray, do you get to choose whether to get the "standard definition" file, the "high definition" file, or maybe you get both?

My hope of course is that I can simply buy the DVD package set, then get the digital copies of the films in "high definition". Because natively, DVD is standard definition.
    Again from my one sample, it appears to be SD as these things tend to be watched on mobile devices and things smaller than a TV. It's possible Blu-Ray get HD digital copies instead, although the file size increases much more.
  • edited August 2011
    I think I'm going to watch all three in a night and then I'm going to watch all the special features the next night...but that's me and I'm going all out on it.
  • edited August 2011
    Again from my one sample, it appears to be SD as these things tend to be watched on mobile devices and things smaller than a TV. It's possible Blu-Ray get HD digital copies instead, although the file size increases much more.

Okay. So I presume then that you bought the DVD set for BTTF it sounds like yes?

Has anybody reading this post bought BTTF on Blu-ray then and can me about the technical specifications of the digital copies? Do Blu-ray owners get "standard definition" files or "high definition" files? This is very important for me to know as it will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I need to buy a Blu-ray player.
  • edited August 2011
    I got Hi Def with mine.
  • edited August 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I got Hi Def with mine.

So you bought BTTF on Blu-ray then? Presuming so, I really want to believe you, my only problem is that based on my research, I'm getting conflicting reports where some say their only able to get "standard definition" with Blu-ray, while others say "high definition". So please pardon my confusion in the matter.
  • edited August 2011
    So you bought BTTF on Blu-ray then? Presuming so, I really want to believe you, my only problem is that based on my research, I'm getting conflicting reports where some say their only able to get "standard definition" with Blu-ray, while others say "high definition". So please pardon my confusion in the matter.

when it come to Hi-Def and Standard-Def, It's all a matter of having the right T.V. and the right cables, with My PS3 i only get standard Definition because i dont have a hi def T.V. or HDMI cables of any kind

at least thats how it was explained to me
  • edited August 2011
    when it come to Hi-Def and Standard-Def, It's all a matter of having the right T.V. and the right cables, with My PS3 i only get standard Definition because i dont have a hi def T.V. or HDMI cables of any kind

at least thats how it was explained to me

Well, respectfully you're only partly right. While it is true you need the right hardware and equipment to begin with to get HD, that does not therefore mean that all the content your watching is in HD. You could be watching a DVD on an HD compatible TV, but there's no way you can get HD quality out of the DVD because the video resolution is fixed for standard definition. It's just like resizing a raster based graphic to be larger than it natively is. Which, if you do, only increases the appearance of pixelation and degrades the image quality and crispness.

As for me, I "know" I have all the right equipment to get the HD experience, no problem. The problem is whether or not I can get the correct HD digital copies of the JP movies with the purchase of the JP DVD set. Or am I "required" to buy JP on Blu-ray. I have no use for the Blu-ray discs themselves personally. I just want the digital files, hook up my MacBook Pro to my HDTV via HDMI, and play the movies.
  • edited August 2011
    Well, respectfully you're only partly right. While it is true you need the right hardware and equipment to begin with to get HD, that does not therefore mean that all the content your watching is in HD. You could be watching a DVD on an HD compatible TV, but there's no way you can get HD quality out of the DVD because the video resolution is fixed for standard definition. It's just like resizing a raster based graphic to be larger than it natively is. Which, if you do, only increases the appearance of pixelation and degrades the image quality and crispness.

As for me, I "know" I have all the right equipment to get the HD experience, no problem. The problem is whether or not I can get the correct HD digital copies of the JP movies with the purchase of the JP DVD set. Or am I "required" to buy JP on Blu-ray. I have no use for the Blu-ray discs themselves personally. I just want the digital files, hook up my MacBook Pro to my HDTV via HDMI, and play the movies.

that's true, but what I've Noticed with Digital copies is that they arent really in HD, at least the ones I've gotten haven't been in HD, but JP could be different, I do plan to pre-order the blurays regardless of that fact
  • edited August 2011
    Is anybody of you buying the limited edition. With a t-rex figure?
  • edited August 2011
    veki wrote: »
    Is anybody of you buying the limited edition. With a t-rex figure?

I might. The figure doesn't look good but It'll be something to add to my collection.
  • edited August 2011
    I might. The figure doesn't look good but It'll be something to add to my collection.

I agree, the T-Rex Statue doesnt look as good as it could be, but it's still a nice statue to add the the collection, I do plan on buying the limited edition
  • edited August 2011
    Is there a hi res image of the limited edition figurine?
  • edited August 2011
    The T-Rex-Figure looks horrible, I definetly wouldnt buy that. Since its amazon-exclusive, I have a feeling that they try to sell a very cheap statue with an expensive price, hoping there will be enough fans to buy it no matter how cheap and ugly it is.

I will buy the limited wooden box wich is not only cheaper, but looks way better and have some nice extras the Dino-Edition hasnt as far as we know.

Heres a pic: big__Jurassic-Park-Ultimate-Trilogy-Holzbox.jpg
  • edited August 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »

I bet this is fake. All they did was reuse artwork from other Jurassic Park packages and mash it together

Plus, it's in German. It probably won't be available here in North America.
  • edited August 2011
    Its not fake, its officially announced by Universal, heres the source if you understand german. But its not the final design and just photoshopped as you said, but I dont think it will change much.

I dont know if it comes out in North america, it isnt listed on american amazon, maybe it does only come out in Europe. If so, thats really too bad for you :cool:
  • edited August 2011
    The T-Rex-Figure looks horrible, I definetly wouldnt buy that.

Agreed. I thought it was neat at first until I saw a close up. I think I'll take the following as my JP figure of the year:
    10149686b.jpg
  • edited August 2011
    Wait, is that a figure? Or it's some else. Where is this T-Rex from???
  • edited August 2011
    i actually think its pretty cool. you can pose it the way you like :D i'll definitely be getting the collectors edition :D
  • edited August 2011
    synJP wrote: »
    i actually think its pretty cool. you can pose it the way you like :D i'll definitely be getting the collectors edition :D

You know thats not the figure from the Collectors edition right? Its the Sci-Fi Revoltech 029 Jurassic Park T-REX Figure from Kaiyodo and its indeed pretty cool.

Buy one on ebay and the regular edition of the BluRay and you got somethin better.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm the opposite of the OP. I've always been a bit fan of having a collection of physical media, not digital. I've begun to change my ways when it comes to PC games since I'm an avid Steam user. Some games I like to have the discs for, Telltale Games, Mass Effects (because they are amazing), Half-Life releases...

For movies though - I like having the cases, the box sets, the blu-rays. In anticipation of the Star Wars blu-ray release, I got a blu-ray player, and recently got a 5.1 surround set and a great receiver. I've been starting to collect box sets too (Matrix, Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings, Aliens, pre-ordered Jurassic Park and Star Wars), and the blu-rays look fantastic. About 2 years ago I got a 55" TV, and only got 720p, so I wish I had gone the extra mile now for 1080p, but in all honesty I still think it looks amazing anyhow.

In terms of digital copies - I've never actually downloaded any of them with the codes that come in the box sets. I don't want to waste the space on my hard drives or back ups with videos I'll never watch except by using the disc. I should probably find all those codes and give them to my brother or something.
  • edited August 2011
    You know thats not the figure from the Collectors edition right? Its the Sci-Fi Revoltech 029 Jurassic Park T-REX Figure from Kaiyodo and its indeed pretty cool.

Buy one on ebay and the regular edition of the BluRay and you got somethin better.

It's further proof that the Japanese are awesome.
  • edited August 2011
    The T-Rex-Figure looks horrible, I definetly wouldnt buy that. Since its amazon-exclusive, I have a feeling that they try to sell a very cheap statue with an expensive price, hoping there will be enough fans to buy it no matter how cheap and ugly it is.

I will buy the limited wooden box wich is not only cheaper, but looks way better and have some nice extras the Dino-Edition hasnt as far as we know.

I didn't even know that was an option. I can't believe I haven't ordered this yet.
  • edited August 2011

I wonder if it would be possible to get the extra content, like the book and the size chart from the german version of the collectors edition, as well as the T-Rex Statue from the collectors Edition that is gunna be released in North America, if it is I would so do that
  • edited August 2011
    I wonder if it would be possible to get the extra content, like the book and the size chart from the german version of the collectors edition, as well as the T-Rex Statue from the collectors Edition that is gunna be released in North America, if it is I would so do that

Thats not the german version of the Collectors edition, the Dino-Edition is sold through amazon in Europe as well. In Germany there are actually three versions avaiable, the T-Rex-Collectors-Edition, the limited wooden box and the regular version. I'm quite surprised that the wooden box dont seem to be sold in North America. Usually the germans are the ones that get screwed with Special Editions :)
  • edited August 2011
    I'd love to get some of these special editions, but I'm actually not getting JP on Blu-ray any time soon. I still have my VHS copies as well as the DVD Adventure Pack. Same reason I don't care about the Star Wars saga on Blu-ray.
  • edited August 2011
    Thats not the german version of the Collectors edition, the Dino-Edition is sold through amazon in Europe as well. In Germany there are actually three versions avaiable, the T-Rex-Collectors-Edition, the limited wooden box and the regular version. I'm quite surprised that the wooden box dont seem to be sold in North America. Usually the germans are the ones that get screwed with Special Editions :)

Thats True, the Germans do usually get screwed on that, i guess this time they just decided on a whim to reverse that for once lol
  • edited August 2011
    I think I'm gonna get the Blu-ray mainly due to the fact that it's blu-ray and looks/sounds so much better than DVD, no intention on getting the T-Rex statue Version, but the wooden box? I'd buy that!
  • edited August 2011
    Uuugh, I hate when companies put out more than one special edition without putting out a combined option. Just let me give you more money without buying two sets, dammit!
  • edited August 2011

Can't find Dino Edition in amazon.co.uk...

Are you sure about that?
  • edited August 2011
    _djs_ wrote: »
    Can't find Dino Edition in amazon.co.uk...

Are you sure about that?

Yes, look here

Also, it looks like UK gets a tin box like this

Interesting how all these Special Editions differ in each country. I wonder with what they come up with for USA
  • edited August 2011
    I can't afford to go Blu-ray, so for the time being I'm waiting on news about the DVD edition. From what I read about the US release of the new set it looks very promising (just about all the special features from the Blu-ray edition coming to DVD including the digital copies), but so far we haven't had word on whether the UK is going to get the same treatment as well or not. I may just stick with the four disc set I already have if it turns out we don't get the remastered editions on UK DVD as well
  • edited August 2011
    I hate it when they have different promotions and editions exclusive to other countries... it really messes with us collectors and completionists!
    But, I am happy with the U.S. ultimate edition I'm getting. The UK edition poster above just looks like a reprint of the JP3 dino poster everyone already has, and the rex statue in the U.S. edition, while far from perfect, will look cool on my DVD shelf.
    Remember, there's always eBay for people looking for the foreign exclusives.
  • edited August 2011
    So, how about the VHS version of the Dino Edition ? chock-full of special features! Including Stereo sound, Closed captioning, and rewind/fast forward ability!

All 3 Movies and there making-of's on 20 Video Cassettes!
  • edited August 2011
    I am personally not gonna get the blu-ray release.

But i plan to play the game with some Coca Cola in my trusted Gallimimus mcdonalds cup :)

If i had those JP cheese doodles i would so eat a bag as well.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.