Playstation 3 version of Jurassic Park needs retail disc

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
Downloading games over Playstation Network is very slow. Is it really a good idea to make Jurassic Park for PS3 a download only title with no retail release?
I have a great internet connection, but downloading a simple 2 GB demo for a game takes about four hours over the Playstation Network. If I have to download this, are we going to have to dedicate an entire day just to download it?
Please don't do this to us Playstation 3 owners who love Jurassic Park. We need to be able to buy this game on a disc at a store.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    No. It doesn't need it, just the same as you don't need to play the game. You would prefer it on the disc, but you'll still get the game if it were released on download.

Also; 2gb for 4 hours? That means you are only downloading at 142 kb/s, which is a really terrible internet speed in the modern age. You are most likely in the minority of people with slow download speeds.
  • edited August 2011
    Ribs wrote: »
    No. It doesn't need it, just the same as you don't need to play the game. You would prefer it on the disc, but you'll still get the game if it were released on download.

Also; 2gb for 4 hours? That means you are only downloading at 142 kb/s, which is a really terrible internet speed in the modern age. You are most likely in the minority of people with slow download speeds.

I am sadly one of the people who have a slow download speed on my PS3, but I still intend to download Jurassic Park when its released, I am also planning one getting it on disc for the 360 (I have both systems).

If Jurassic Park sees a physical media release for the ps3 that would be cool, but it really isn't something that need to happen. It's all on how Telltale decides to release the game, and as much as it would be nice to ask for a disc based release of JP for PS3, I highly doubt that we can influence their decision.
  • edited August 2011
    Dute i dont know where your getting 4 hours out of because during all of Telltales' games Sam and Max, Strong Bad, Monkey Island and Back To The Future The Game it was 20 mins for me maybe 30 or 40 tops
  • edited August 2011
    I also hope and wish that Jurassic Park is released for sale on disc in PS3, it is a great game and one of the most popular franchises in history.

CSI: The Game of Telltale has been sold in disc format for PS3 and Jurassic Park no?. I do not understand.

The game release 15 of November in USA. When release in Europe?.
  • edited August 2011
    So you might have to spend an entire day downloading a game (Which is a fairly unlikely worst case scenario). So what? Just how spoiled are people these days?
  • edited August 2011
    I can only guess that the reason it's probably not coming to retail for PS3 is that the agreement to release it on the PSN was made well before the Xbox retail deal was done and so they are unlikely to be able (and frankly probably unwilling as well) to go back on their current agreement/deal/whatever it's called with Sony to change the nature of the release. And as the game is coming on the PSN it is very unlikely that it will also get a retail release as well.

Another point is that I feel Telltale are happy with the way their games have been distributed on the PSN. OK there can be a delay between the Windows/Mac & console release as well as a delay between the various regions of the PSN but it's still better treatment than Microsoft gave the separate episodes released on XBLA.
  • edited August 2011
    Microsoft only allows a limit of 2 GB for XBLA games. These games are clearly larger than 2 GB and that is why they can be posted on PC download outlets and PSN since they have no download limit
  • edited August 2011
    Go ahead ban me you assholes but I am so sick of you self righteous dick heads that are not PS3 users that keep saying "Quit complaining. It doesnt need a physical release."

Please tell me why the fuck it cant be a physical release?? Please fucking tell me. Xbox 360 users jump up my ass. Why do you get but we and PC users can't.Best of all...WHY DO YOU GIVE A SHIT WHAT PS3 USERS GET???

This will probably be my last post as I will be banned, but I hope this message gets out and that Tell Tale realizes they will be losing a fan base.

And to all that flame me, go ahead. Do you think I really give two flying donkey shits??

Peace:cool:
  • edited August 2011
    Reznor2112 wrote: »
    Go ahead ban me you assholes but I am so sick of you self righteous dick heads that are not PS3 users that keep saying "Quit complaining. It doesnt need a physical release."

Please tell me why the fuck it cant be a physical release?? Please fucking tell me. Xbox 360 users jump up my ass. Why do you get but we and PC users can't.Best of all...WHY DO YOU GIVE A SHIT WHAT PS3 USERS GET???

This will probably be my last post as I will be banned, but I hope this message gets out and that Tell Tale realizes they will be losing a fan base.

And to all that flame me, go ahead. Do you think I really give two flying donkey shits??

Why would you be banned? You have an opinion. The worst that'll happen is they'll warn you against your language.

It costs money to do a physical release, and it is not possible to do a digital release of the game on Xbox Live. It is therefore the only option. On the other hand, PSN will gladly allow a digital release, meaning no production costs on Telltale for a retail release.
  • edited August 2011
    Reznor2112 wrote: »

We won't ban you over your opinion but cool it on the language.
  • edited August 2011
    Amy Lukima wrote: »
    We won't ban you over your opinion but cool it on the language.
    :cough::cough:Secret Fawful:cough::cough:
  • edited August 2011
    Ribs wrote: »

The last PS3 update took me 2 hours to download.
  • edited August 2011
    Hi fans of Jurassic Park.

I just read a very good news in a video game website in Spain. http://atomix.vg/2011/08/24/telltale-publicara-versiones-fisicas-de-back-to-the-future-en-ps3-y-wii/

Telltale Games and Sony have reached an agreement for publish games in physical format, (disc). Back to the Future be the first game on disc for PS3 release, 20 October.

With this agreement Telltale Games can throw any game in physical format.

Jurassic Park release 15 of November in disc for PS3?. This is true I'll buy my game in disc.

Excuse me for my English ;)
  • edited August 2011
    JPFan wrote: »
    Hi fans of Jurassic Park.

I just read a very good news in a video game website in Spain. http://atomix.vg/2011/08/24/telltale-publicara-versiones-fisicas-de-back-to-the-future-en-ps3-y-wii/

Telltale Games and Sony have reached an agreement for publish games in physical format, (disc). Back to the Future be the first game on disc for PS3 release, 20 October.

With this agreement Telltale Games can throw any game in physical format.

Jurassic Park release 15 of November in disc for PS3?. This is true I'll buy my game in disc.

Excuse me for my English ;)

I heard that in Eurogamer Portugal: http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/2011-08-24-telltale-com-jogos-fisicos-da-psn
  • edited August 2011
    I wouldn't mind that happening. I can't wait for JP, but I would definitely like it if it had a retail disk so the game wouldn't take up space on my HD.
  • edited August 2011
    I wouldnt mind JP TG on a Disk for the PS3 but to me it's not all that important, if it gets a disk, it gets one, if not I'm more then happy to use up space on my hard drive, thats why I got an upgrade, I also plan on getting it on the 360 so either way I have a disk (yes I'm a greedy person but oh well lol)
  • edited August 2011
    that would be much easier if there was a retail disc but there wont be
  • edited August 2011
    bttf got both episode release and is getting physical release. maybe the same can happen with jp
  • edited August 2011
    chris945 wrote: »
    bttf got both episode release and is getting physical release. maybe the same can happen with jp
    Yes but Xbox isn't getting BTTF on retail... so it might end up one game exclusive to certain consoles (IE: JP=360 BTTF=PS3/Wii). But everyone should have them at least available through digital distributions.
  • edited October 2011
    Telltale just landed that agreement with Sony to publish their games on the PS3. The 360 got a retail copy of JP, because apparently they can't put it on Xbox Live (I don't know if this is accurate). Would it be an exclusive retail release on Xbox 360? No, it should not be. Why? With the agreement Telltale just landed there would be no reason not to make a retail release on PS3 also. Us console gamer's LOVE our physical copies, sure I don't mind downloading the occasional game, but if it's a DAMN good game I need a physical copy of it sitting on my library! Call me a collector, but it would be a true shame for PS3 users not to get a retail copy, specially the ones that like keeping their physical copies of games organized.

I love Telltale to death, and I do download their classic games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Strong Bad. Is never really bothered me too much not to have a physical copies of those games, because I just accepted that the digital distribution is part of the business identity of Telltale. However, now you have Telltale making games on big franchises like Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and the Walking Dead. These franchises are very well loved by their fans, they deserve a retail release, because sadly not everyone is an active online gamer that knows to keep track of digital releases. Hell, I wanted really badly Back to the Future when it came out, but since it came out on PSN and Live, I din't get it. Now that it came out today in physical copy, I was the first in line at the local store picking up my copy! And I was not alone, my gamestop SOLD out of these physical copies.

Now, with this agreement with Sony I am truly excited to see releases of Telltale franchises that I can add to my collection... And I would love for Jurassic Park to be among them. Sure, I have a 360 also, but no offense, I would rather have the blu ray of the game :P.
  • edited October 2011
    hello
    Do we have "official" informations about it ?
    rainwhole wrote: »
    Telltale just landed that agreement with Sony to publish their games on the PS3. The 360 got a retail copy of JP, because apparently they can't put it on Xbox Live (I don't know if this is accurate). Would it be an exclusive retail release on Xbox 360? No, it should not be. Why? With the agreement Telltale just landed there would be no reason not to make a retail release on PS3 also. Us console gamer's LOVE our physical copies, sure I don't mind downloading the occasional game, but if it's a DAMN good game I need a physical copy of it sitting on my library! Call me a collector, but it would be a true shame for PS3 users not to get a retail copy, specially the ones that like keeping their physical copies of games organized.

I love Telltale to death, and I do download their classic games like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Strong Bad. Is never really bothered me too much not to have a physical copies of those games, because I just accepted that the digital distribution is part of the business identity of Telltale. However, now you have Telltale making games on big franchises like Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, and the Walking Dead. These franchises are very well loved by their fans, they deserve a retail release, because sadly not everyone is an active online gamer that knows to keep track of digital releases. Hell, I wanted really badly Back to the Future when it came out, but since it came out on PSN and Live, I din't get it. Now that it came out today in physical copy, I was the first in line at the local store picking up my copy! And I was not alone, my gamestop SOLD out of these physical copies.

Now, with this agreement with Sony I am truly excited to see releases of Telltale franchises that I can add to my collection... And I would love for Jurassic Park to be among them. Sure, I have a 360 also, but no offense, I would rather have the blu ray of the game :P.
  • edited October 2011
    Just so we're clear here, the 360 isn't getting special treatment. (Well, it is, but not in a good way.) Telltale's games are meant to be downloaded. As episodic games, they're small (and...meant to be released episodically). Even if you put all the episodes of any one of their games together, I think it'd be too small to really deserve a retail release.

Thing is, XBLA is a pretty restrictive service, and Telltale's past experiences with it have been so awful that it seems unlikely they'll ever release anything on it again. Telltale doesn't want to ignore the 360, but they also don't want to put Jurassic Park on XBLA, so a retail release it is. PS3 owners shouldn't feel like they're getting screwed. They're pretty much being told that the PS3 has the best downloadable game service (well, as far as consoles go ;) ).

And on a semi-related note, Steam has taught me that downloadable games as a whole are better than physical releases. You can't lose your copy of the game, your game collection can't take up a lot of space in your house, and since they're not mass-producing hundreds of thousands of plastic discs it's better for the environment too. Sure, the install times can be a pain, but that seems like a small price to pay for everything else. I've made it a point to (legally) download games instead of buying retail whenever that's an option (not that there are too many games that interest me these days). Hopefully gaming as a whole will be downloadable in the near future.

But anyway, getting back on track...even though nothing's been confirmed, BttF did get a retail release for the PS3 after its PSN release, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with JP.
  • edited October 2011
    Honestly, I prefer having a disk. I'd rather it take up shelf space than hard drive space.
  • edited October 2011
    Dear Sixteen60.

First of all, thank you for the official news you give to us about the European release of JP.
    I read that many of us would rather get a PS3 disc game than a PSN download (tecnical reasons, and want to have a collector box between the hands).
    - Can you tell us if we can hope a PS3 retail game fot JP in a near future ?
    - Any possibility to have some other voice languages (I'm french but I also think of spanish, italian players...) in a future release of the game ?

Thanks again for your answers.
  • edited October 2011
    We want a retail disc for Jurassic Park!! I love to collect games and have it after years, bringing old memories! Please Telltale, release it on a disc!
  • edited October 2011
    are we aloud to use our free thingy on psn ?
  • edited November 2011
    Does anyone from TellTale can tell us if there will be a PS3 retail disc release for JPThe Game ? Thanks :)
  • edited November 2011
    I agree. I used to buy a lot of content at the Playstation Store but frankly the harddrive cant keep storing new games forever so it eventually became full, not to think of all of the retail games that has to be installed.. Today i got like.. 2-3 games at the harddrive and not even 500mb left. So, my point is, that i basicly demand a retail version of Jurassic Park for the Playstation 3 since it is a game that i very much want to play and i wont be able to do so without deleting tons of game data (and also get a better internet connection).

Since Tell Tale have a new publisher deal with Sony (i just ordered Back to the Future from the US. I am a swede!) i hope that will happen, as well with the upcoming The Walking Dead game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.