so telltale about that there park map?

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
hi i was curious if you could tell me wether or not you guys decided to use the Park map as a guide when the developers were designing the game? (if you can tell me, no pressure) im not a gamer but i watched jurassic park weekley as a kid, i was 4 when the lost world came out, and i was instantly addicted, (ive got my jurassic park wallet to prove it :) ) all this aside i did make a map of how im seeing things so far with the original park map as a template Attachment not found.

zoom may be required to read text, im not good with configuring image sizes...

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I don't think that particular map is a very good representation even though it is an official map (the template itself I mean), there's actually quite a fan-made maps based off maps seen in the move.

But this is by far the most complete and well compiled map:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100628230560/jurassicpark/images/5/53/Islanublar.gif

Personally I think you should create your map using that one as the template, as opposed to the "official" one.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm not sure if it's the same one (the one I remember was in black and white), but at some point JP Legacy had a fan-made map of both Nublar and Sorna that took into account every detail of the movies. I tried damn hard to find holes in them, but they were solid.
  • edited August 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's the same one (the one I remember was in black and white), but at some point JP Legacy had a fan-made map of both Nublar and Sorna that took into account every detail of the movies. I tried damn hard to find holes in them, but they were solid.

The one I posted used to be on JP legacy, but I cant seem to find the maps section no matter how hard I try lol
  • edited August 2011
    I think it's interesting that the game has only introduced the "Hazard" (Red carnivorous markers) dinosaurs with the exception of Baryonyx, but honestly... they're not gonna leave out Baryonyx. I wonder if that's a sign that they're only going to introduce the dangerous dinosaurs that are in the red, so to speak.
  • edited August 2011
    I don't think that particular map is a very good representation even though it is an official map (the template itself I mean), there's actually quite a fan-made maps based off maps seen in the move.

But this is by far the most complete and well compiled map:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100628230560/jurassicpark/images/5/53/Islanublar.gif

Personally I think you should create your map using that one as the template, as opposed to the "official" one.

Wait, what. Just looked at this map and it just occurred to me that having the raptor pen within walking distance of the visitor's centre was a VERY bad planning design. I mean these dinosaurs are the most dangerous animal in your exhibition, and you fence the other dinosaurs off and leave the raptors right next to where your visitors are going to be? :confused:

If I was in John Hammond I would have demanded that the dinosaurs were only reachable via gas powered jeep, had extra fencing based on an external generator that wasn't computer controlled (then again like the film and novel stated you shouldn't rely on computers to control your park full of dangerous animals) so if the fences did fail the raptors would have another fence that was constantly on.

That stuff where you shove the raptors next to the visitor's centre should only happen in JP: OG when you want something terrible to happen.

Wait....

UNLESS the Jurassic Park film is actually someone playing Operation Genesis :eek:
  • edited September 2011
    T002Tyrant wrote: »
    Wait, what. Just looked at this map and it just occurred to me that having the raptor pen within walking distance of the visitor's centre was a VERY bad planning design. I mean these dinosaurs are the most dangerous animal in your exhibition, and you fence the other dinosaurs off and leave the raptors right next to where your visitors are going to be? :confused:

If I was in John Hammond I would have demanded that the dinosaurs were only reachable via gas powered jeep, had extra fencing based on an external generator that wasn't computer controlled (then again like the film and novel stated you shouldn't rely on computers to control your park full of dangerous animals) so if the fences did fail the raptors would have another fence that was constantly on.

That stuff where you shove the raptors next to the visitor's centre should only happen in JP: OG when you want something terrible to happen.

Wait....

UNLESS the Jurassic Park film is actually someone playing Operation Genesis :eek:

my mind = blown, i would have had the fences run on solar and kept on different circuits so that if one goes down thats only one fence you need to worry about, jurassic park is just like if someone walked into a major zoo, snapped their fingers and every bar on every cage dissapeared, glass dissepearing in a reptile house etc, you'd get every bit as much chaos
  • edited September 2011
    Even in the movie they weren't total idiots. They did have the raptor fences on a separate system that didn't go down until it was purposely turned off by Arnold under Hammond's request. Although, apparently, neither of them realized what would happen when they shut down the power completely.
  • edited September 2011
    Even in the movie they weren't total idiots. They did have the raptor fences on a separate system that didn't go down until it was purposely turned off by Arnold under Hammond's request. Although, apparently, neither of them realized what would happen when they shut down the power completely.

True, you're right.

BUT the stupidity came from not having it on a separate generators, or hell having the park power on a backup system, one not automated my the main system, including a backup for the separate raptor fences.

I mean these ARE probably the most dangerous (because they're extinct animals whose behaviour patterns have not been fully monitored yet, plus pointy teeth and claws, ouch) land animals on earth. You may want to have had that, it doesn't take an Ian Malcolm to work that one out!
  • edited September 2011
    You're forgetting, the enclosure isn't exactly conducive to being shown off to guests. Probably they were having trouble keeping the raptors in line in the standard paddock.
  • edited September 2011
    this map is wrong, after the main gate entrance that says "Welcome to Jurassic Park!" there is the fence of Dilophosaurus, while in the map is the first compound of poceratosaurus.
  • edited September 2011
    crochunter wrote: »
    this map is wrong, after the main gate entrance that says "Welcome to Jurassic Park!" there is the fence of Dilophosaurus, while in the map is the first compound of poceratosaurus.

Movies have a tendency to only include what's important to the story. Just because it wasn't in the movie, doesn't mean it didn't happen. At least in the context of this game.
  • edited September 2011
    There's always a million ways to fill in the blanks if you're crafty enough. For one, the Proceratosaurs might not have been displayed in the park yet, so they were kept out of the tour narration temporarily. That's usually the lazy route to take when explaining things missing in the park. (The narration by Richard Kiley stated dilophosaurs were the first dinos on the tour, so it's unlikely that the proceratosaur paddock wasn't shown just to keep out the unimportant parts of the story.) Two, the map is crap and isn't really movie cannon since the map side of the brochure is never seen onscreen. That one's my favorite.
  • edited September 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »
    There's always a million ways to fill in the blanks if you're crafty enough. For one, the Proceratosaurs might not have been displayed in the park yet, so they were kept out of the tour narration temporarily. That's usually the lazy route to take when explaining things missing in the park. (The narration by Richard Kiley stated dilophosaurs were the first dinos on the tour, so it's unlikely that the proceratosaur paddock wasn't shown just to keep out the unimportant parts of the story.) Two, the map is crap and isn't really movie cannon since the map side of the brochure is never seen onscreen. That one's my favorite.

Excellent point on both counts. Can't believe I forgot that bit of the Kiley narrative...
  • edited September 2011
    Movies have a tendency to only include what's important to the story. Just because it wasn't in the movie, doesn't mean it didn't happen. At least in the context of this game.

I think he's saying it cuz the map is supposed to the the official map for the movie. It's not the games map. or at least thats what I think he's asking
  • edited October 2011
    Its really weird that nobody here has read the book.The raptor enclosure was built because they were having trouble containing the raptors in their original enclosure. There are a lot of revealing things in the book that make everything more clear,and it seems like this game has pulled in a lot of those elements
  • edited October 2011
    Its really weird that nobody here has read the book.The raptor enclosure was built because they were having trouble containing the raptors in their original enclosure. There are a lot of revealing things in the book that make everything more clear,and it seems like this game has pulled in a lot of those elements

I think there are a lot of us here that have read the books...
    TTG has mentioned before they have the rights to do things from the movies... so I would not look for things that are mentioned only in the books.
  • edited October 2011
    I read the books like fifty times.
  • edited October 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of us here that have read the books...
    TTG has mentioned before they have the rights to do things from the movies... so I would not look for things that are mentioned only in the books.
    Lol that's funny (: they took the Les Gigantes restaurant name from the books soo.... yeah, they're definately pulling from other material.
  • edited October 2011
    If they are pulling material from the book, why no mention of the jungle river cruise? Or aviary for that matter, especially when we now know of pteranodons? Very... strange. lol.
  • edited October 2011
    scallenger wrote: »
    If they are pulling material from the book, why no mention of the jungle river cruise? Or aviary for that matter, especially when we now know of pteranodons? Very... strange. lol.
    We don't really know if the pteranodon is actually from isla nublar though, I have a theory (one that I wish would be false) that these Pteras are part of an epilogue of JP3.
  • edited October 2011
    How could it be the Pteranodons from JP3 if this game takes place during the events of the first film?
  • edited October 2011
    ..that these Pteras are part of an epilogue of JP3.
    scallenger wrote: »
    How could it be the Pteranodons from JP3 if this game takes place during the events of the first film?

read.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.