Herrerasaurus

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
I've just read an article from PAX in which the author talks about playing the demo on the Bone Shaker and avoiding.....wait for it.......HERRERASAURUS! I'm pretty excited because now Telltale is just getting awesome adding in dinosaurs that are actually SUPPOSED TO BE THERE but we always assumed were not. Here's the article.

http://www.consolelink.com/2011/08/jurassic-park-hands-on/

Comments

• edited August 2011
    So, we now have Raptors, Troodon, and Herrerasaurs?

Guess they're really getting their mileage out of that one (slightly-tweaked) model...
  • edited August 2011
    robotpo wrote: »

Guess they're really getting their mileage out of that one (slightly-tweaked) model...

Whaddyou mean?
  • edited August 2011
    He's oversimplifying the fact that those three species have similar body structures. I seriously doubt that they were able to reuse any part of one species' model as the basis for the other two. The species are different enough to make that obvious. Not to mention we already know that Troodon behaves differently due to its poison and we have no idea what to expect from the new dino's behavior.
  • edited August 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    Whaddyou mean?

Every digital "character" is based on a basic model, which can be reused for similarly-shaped characters...for example, the Ceratosaur in JP3 was a reworked Tyrannosaurs, the Mamenchiasaurus in TLW were reworked Brachiosaurs, ETC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Telltale's Dilophosaurs were using the same model as well.
    Elogotar wrote: »
    He's oversimplifying the fact that those three species have similar body structures. I seriously doubt that they were able to reuse any part of one species' model as the basis for the other two. The species are different enough to make that obvious. Not to mention we already know that Troodon behaves differently due to its poison and we have no idea what to expect from the new dino's behavior.

Then you seriously don't know anything about CG modeling. Thanks though.
  • edited August 2011
    YES!!!! I LOVE YOU TELLTALE!!! :) Finally we get to see the REAL Jurassic Park!
  • edited August 2011
    I would have thought it to be a nod to Telltale's very own Daniel "H-Bomb" Herrera... I guess it still is :D
  • edited August 2011
    Every digital "character" is based on a basic model, which can be reused for similarly-shaped characters...for example, the Ceratosaur in JP3 was a reworked Tyrannosaurs, the Mamenchiasaurus in TLW were reworked Brachiosaurs, ETC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Telltale's Dilophosaurs were using the same model as well.

Then you seriously don't know anything about CG modeling. Thanks though.

Excuse me, apparently I wasn't using the right terminology. I guess the term I would've been looking for as opposed to "model" would be "skin". Is that better?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2011
    They share similarities in their skeletons but the different dino species have fully unique models, textures, and animations to reflect their personalities and traits.
  • edited August 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    They share similarities in their skeletons but the different dino species have fully unique models, textures, and animations to reflect their personalities and traits.

My point exactly.
  • edited August 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »
    Excuse me, apparently I wasn't using the right terminology. I guess the term I would've been looking for as opposed to "model" would be "skin". Is that better?

Yes, seeing as those are two different things.
    Jake wrote: »

Then I guess my question becomes "why are there so many nearly identical species in the game"? Even JP3 got it right by expanding on the Rex/Raptor/Compie form with the Spino and Pteranodons. True, we get the Mosasaur in this game...but I don't know. Troodon, Herrerasaurs, and Raptors feel highly redundant.
  • edited August 2011
    Herrerasaurus the great idea, but the first time I had seemed to me vito lost world of the raptors, then I saw the claw of the foot that was missing, however, continued to raptor Penzo is always the color that is similar although it is true that the white part of the raptor does not have there.
    un'immaggine hours I put the lost world of raptors as they are similar Quard
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090125190326/jurassicpark/images/d/d5/Lost-3.jpg
  • edited August 2011

Then I guess my question becomes "why are there so many nearly identical species in the game"? Even JP3 got it right by expanding on the Rex/Raptor/Compie form with the Spino and Pteranodons. True, we get the Mosasaur in this game...but I don't know. Troodon, Herrerasaurs, and Raptors feel highly redundant.

I think if Herrerasaurus wasn't one of the mythical brochure dinos most people would be on your side about the redundancy. But most of us are just happy that dinosaurs that have been theorized to be on the island have now been confirmed.

As far as the troodon they only similarity with the Raptors are the retractable claw. Troodon have a thinner narrower snout with large eyes, blus aren't they slimmer too? They probably look more like compies than raptors as far as shape.

Basically the only ones that are rather similar in size and shape are the Herrera's and Raptors...and I've already explained why people don't mind their inclusion in the game

Plus with a nice set of Hervivorous dinosaurs(Triceratops, Parasaurolophus) the game can easily have a well rounded group of dinos.
  • edited August 2011

because dinosaurs go in 4catagories (or more if you like to nit pick.) Sauropods, theropods, ceratopsids, hadrosaurs, ALOT of dinosaurs were theropods with identical body structures and subtle diffrences, (ex: procompsaugnathus and compsognathus, two different species entireley that look the same,)
  • edited August 2011
    I just don't see a similarity. These dinosaurs are much larger and heavier than the raptors. You can tell in this picture.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt227/ev-108/JP102_BoneShaker3.jpg
  • edited August 2011
    I just don't see a similarity. These dinosaurs are much larger and heavier than the raptors. You can tell in this picture.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt227/ev-108/JP102_BoneShaker3.jpg

They look about the same size as raptors to me, give or take some inches. There's definate similarities, but for people that know Jurassic Park the difference is obvious.
  • edited August 2011
    I just took a look at the other images and they may infact be Herrerasaurus. Their hind limbs seem to suggest Herrerasaurus even if their size and arms do not.
  • edited August 2011
    I do know Jurassic Park, and I just don't see a HUGE resemblance Maybe the general shape, but I just don't see anything else...except for their arms. Those arms look a lot like a raptor's.
  • edited August 2011
    I do know Jurassic Park, and I just don't see a HUGE resemblance Maybe the general shape, but I just don't see anything else...except for their arms. Those arms look a lot like a raptor's.

Right the general shape and size are similar. Believe you me they are different animals. For people that know Jurassic park meaning people like you and I its obvious they're different dinos, is what I'm trying to say.
  • edited August 2011
    mannyguy1 wrote: »
    Right the general shape and size are similar. Believe you me they are different animals. For people that know Jurassic park meaning people like you and I its obvious they're different dinos, is what I'm trying to say.

I know! I was saying what I saw different. All the predators have yellow eyes...I just noticed that.
  • edited August 2011
    I just hope they don't overwhelm the game with predator after predator. Come on telltale! WHERE ARE THE BRACHIOSAURUS, GALLIMIMUS, AND PARASAUROLOPHUS!! Show us the wonder of the park too!!
  • edited August 2011
    I just hope they don't overwhelm the game with predator after predator. Come on telltale! WHERE ARE THE BRACHIOSAURUS, GALLIMIMUS, AND PARASAUROLOPHUS!! Show us the wonder of the park too!!

I second that. Although I think it was confirmed awhile back that we would get those little moments of wonder between the action sequences.
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, but we've yet to see them, you know? Plus the Parasaurolophus was confirmed a long while ago during a telltale interview and we still don't have stills. WE NEED A STAMPEDE SCENE. Like the gallis in JP, the round-up sequence in TLW, and parasaur, corythosaur stampede in JP3
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, but we've yet to see them, you know? Plus the Parasaurolophus was confirmed a long while ago during a telltale interview and we still don't have stills. WE NEED A STAMPEDE SCENE. Like the gallis in JP, the round-up sequence in TLW, and parasaur, corythosaur stampede in JP3

Look at PAX Day2, the new video, and look in the background of the first interview. You'll see the raptors attacking a lone parasaur.
  • edited August 2011
    Look at PAX Day2, the new video, and look in the background of the first interview. You'll see the raptors attacking a lone parasaur.

Didn't know it was up yet. Thanks!
  • edited August 2011
    Parasaurolophus is here, attacked by raptor ahah

sansre2kh.png
  • edited August 2011
    Didn't know it was up yet. Thanks!

its not up on the blogs yet so idk where he saw it
  • edited August 2011
    YouTube. I didn't see it on the blog either.
  • edited August 2011
    It's on telltales youtube channel.
  • edited August 2011
    saw it it is a cool vid
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah. It looks like harding is tending to a sick and/or injured Parasaur when the Raptor jumps ontop of it forcing the creature to topple and fall over. Soon a couple other raptors show up and begin chasing harding. Thats what I was able to make out from watching it like 5 times.

I also noticed in an wide shot, that the fencing is ON at this point.
  • edited August 2011
    Sebino wrote: »

sansre2kh.png

Not only this, but if you keep watching and look at the second interview with a fan (the first chick), you can see the roller coaster with the Herrerasaurus attack on the left screen and it looks great. I agree that the concept of a roller coaster on paper or in those pics look stupid but when its all moving in a single scene it looks great and the dinosaur movements are really fluid now and they all have realistic movements. Universal really made a good choice trusting Telltale, and so did the fans!!! :D
  • edited August 2011
    Yep Yep. And from what I can see it looks great too! I neve had a doubt!
  • edited August 2011
    Yes, it's a awesome game, the ambiance of Jurassic Park first movie is here ! :D
  • edited August 2011
    Sebino wrote: »
    The one with the big red horn. The pompadour. Elvis!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2011

Raptors are pretty essential, Herrerasaurus is a previously mostly unseen but confirmed species (and Daniel Herrera is one of our lead choreographers and also directed an episode, so it seemed appropriate), and the Troodon I guess is structurally similar but is treated very differently in the game from raptors. Fortunately there are a lot of other dino species in the game. We're not showing everything in the marketing materials because that would make us weirdos...
  • edited August 2011
    You must include Brachiosaurus and Gallimimus!
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, I mean they may have more or less the same body type but it appears that each dinosaur is given their own movements and personalities. Also, the herrerasaurus is clearly a lot fatter than the Raptors. And the Trodoons are clearly much smaller and not to mention their eyes.
  • edited August 2011
    So, we now have Raptors, Troodon, and Herrerasaurs?

Indeed, looking at the "official" tour map, all of the dinosaurs listed that are unseen in the movie have a similar body plan (i.e. they're all theropods - baryonyx, metriacanthosaurus, proceratosaurus, segisaurus, herrarasaurus). It's one of the issues I've always had with this map and question how strictly that list should be followed.

Granted, there are only a handful of different dinosaur "types" so many dinosaurs had a similar shape to another, but a little variety on behalf of the movie prop department when creating the map would have been nice. It's as if the map designer, figuring the details on the map would never be seen up close or scrutinized over, just used his own personal favorites or chose the names randomly out of a dinosaur book.

Even those who follow the map list strictly must condede that the addition of Troodon and Mosasaurus contradict it. Still, it is nice to see such attention to detail by Telltale to include a known list species like Herrarasaurus in the game, rather than create an unnecessary similar dinosaur in its place.
  • edited August 2011
    Indeed, looking at the "official" tour map, all of the dinosaurs listed that are unseen in the movie have a similar body plan (i.e. they're all theropods - baryonyx, metriacanthosaurus, proceratosaurus, segisaurus, herrarasaurus). It's one of the issues I've always had with this map and question how strictly that list should be followed.

Granted, there are only a handful of different dinosaur "types" so many dinosaurs had a similar shape to another, but a little variety on behalf of the movie prop department when creating the map would have been nice. It's as if the map designer, figuring the details on the map would never be seen up close or scrutinized over, just used his own personal favorites or chose the names randomly out of a dinosaur book.

Even those who follow the map list strictly must condede that the addition of Troodon and Mosasaurus contradict it. Still, it is nice to see such attention to detail by Telltale to include a known list species like Herrarasaurus in the game, rather than create an unnecessary similar dinosaur in its place.
    It does contradict it. But of course we still don't know if Troodon or Mosasaurus are going to be the missing 14 and 15 animals or not. It'd be hard to believe that Troodon is part of the official list, especially since hardly any staff knew about it's existance. Honestly, Telltale is doing an amazing job with the game. I kinda freaked when they introduced Mosasaurus, but I admit that kind of an enemy has been craved by the jurassic community for a very long time.
  • edited August 2011
    There are 15 species total meant to be displayed in JP correct? We don't know if they were all being displayed in Jurassic Park yet, as the park was still under construction. And remember many dinosaurs were also bred in Sorna and transported to Nublar later. But others were also bred in Nublar aswell.

Seen in the JP are:
    1. T-rex
    2. Raptor
    3. Dilophosaurus
    4. Triceratops
    5. Gallimimus
    6. Brachiosaurus
    7. Parasaurolophus

Seen in the embryo storage room:
    8. "Stegasaurus"
    9. Proceratosaurus
    10. Metriacanthosaurus

So theres 5 species yet to be confirmed.

Confirmed by the game:
    11. Tylosaurus (lets assume its part of the known 15 species)
    12. Herrerasaurus

Only seen on JP Brochure:
    13. Baryonyx
    14. Segisaurus

Now Troodon might or might not be the 15th species. But it its not since the staff didn't know of its existence there's the possibility of one more dinosaur. Either seen in TLW or JP3 or an anoriginal dinosaur Telltale can come up with.

Also worth noting is that telltale might decide not to acknowledge Baryonyx and Segisaurus as they have never really been confirmed as 100% canon.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.