Made-upasaurus

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
I've noticed the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are all based on real species (some with genetic modification, sure.) Not a bad thing. But.. how many other dinosaur species remain undiscovered in the real world? Couldn't it be possible for InGen to have stumbled upon DNA of a yet-undiscovered species?

I'd love to see some creative interpretations of "undiscovered" species get incorporated into the Jurassic Park universe, in the movies or games; it's only logical that they'd stumble upon something new. InGen was making so many new discoveries in their line of work. More or less, it'd be fiction based on fact (science fiction.) It'd be somewhat refreshing and a fun addition to the mythos. Of course any invented species shouldn't be totally outlandish, maybe based on a known dinosaur, but more of a distant relative.
I mean, you'd have total creative freedom, your theories can't be debunked as easily by fossil evidence, you'd get to add distinct features that make the dinosaur fresh and new, more of a theme park animal. What better franchise to introduce these to-- a corrupt company genetically modifying dinosaurs for show and keeping a ton of secrets?

Hey Telltale, if you get your hands on a sequel on Sorna, I wouldn't be angry if you took a similar idea into consideration :)

Comments

• edited September 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »
    I've noticed the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are all based on real species (some with genetic modification, sure.) Not a bad thing. But.. how many other dinosaur species remain undiscovered in the real world? Couldn't it be possible for InGen to have stumbled upon DNA of a yet-undiscovered species?

I'd love to see some creative interpretations of "undiscovered" species get incorporated into the Jurassic Park universe, in the movies or games; it's only logical that they'd stumble upon something new. InGen was making so many new discoveries in their line of work. More or less, it'd be fiction based on fact (science fiction.) It'd be somewhat refreshing and a fun addition to the mythos. Of course any invented species shouldn't be totally outlandish, maybe based on a known dinosaur, but more of a distant relative.
    I mean, you'd have total creative freedom, your theories can't be debunked as easily by fossil evidence, you'd get to add distinct features that make the dinosaur fresh and new, more of a theme park animal. What better franchise to introduce these to-- a corrupt company genetically modifying dinosaurs for show and keeping a ton of secrets?

Hey Telltale, if you get your hands on a sequel on Sorna, I wouldn't be angry if you took a similar idea into consideration :)
    You really need to watch the Terra Nova premiere tomorrow. They did just that. It's an interesting concept.
  • edited September 2011
    I also thought of terra nova too. Its really quite interested that they're using real known dinosaurs and mixing them with their own interpretations of dinosaurs that might have existed in the time. After all isn't it only 10% of fauna and flaura that get fossilized?
  • edited September 2011

perhaps predicted but not yet found species like the proto avis. they would just award the name to the animal that was closest. i have also thought about this. but only like 1 or 2 would be acceptable, 37 percent of dinosaur species will never be discovered because fossilization is a chance event usually, the possibility is definetly there but only add like one to the franchise, anymore than one and your A pushing your luck in what could be found in amber and B making up your own animals could very quickly kill the science in it and the franchise as a whole. cool idea but be careful how it is used
  • edited September 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    perhaps predicted but not yet found species like the proto avis. they would just award the name to the animal that was closest. i have also thought about this. but only like 1 or 2 would be acceptable, 37 percent of dinosaur species will never be discovered because fossilization is a chance event usually, the possibility is definetly there but only add like one to the franchise, anymore than one and your A pushing your luck in what could be found in amber and B making up your own animals could very quickly kill the science in it and the franchise as a whole. cool idea but be careful how it is used

Exactly. I mean in moderation of course.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2011
    A propos moderation: May I merge all threads with dinosaur name titles into one, please? :D
  • edited October 2011

I think InGen did stumble upon DNA of undiscovered dinosaur species and cloned them: that would explain frilled dilophosaurs with poison glands, and toothed pteranodons.

Since the fossil record is incomplete, there will always be dinosaurs that existed that we don't have the bones of and may never will. If you clone from mosquitoes in amber instead of bones, however, you might get the blood of a dinosaur whose bones haven't been found.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.