Terra nova

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
anyone watching terra nova its pretty cool but it thiught that since speilberg is a producer for it they would use the jp dino soundeffects but its alright the brachs look so cool

Comments

• edited September 2011
    i'm recording it on dvr. can't wait to watch it
  • edited September 2011
    Just finished watching it. I think it's good. Looks like a very high budget show. So I'm wondering just how long it will last. But the show is great and I hope it last's more than just one or two seasons. i know Fox likes to kill off a lot of my shows. Still pissed about Human Target.
  • edited September 2011
    Falling Skies was crappy as hell.

Is Terra nova any better ? Or is it once again the whole "super high budget" show that has absolutely no depth and will die within 10 episodes ?
  • edited September 2011
    That was F***NG AWESOME, if spielberg can do this with Jp4 (or joe jhonston rather) i will be very happy
  • edited September 2011
    I liked Falling Skies.....
  • edited September 2011
    I just watched it, and it was incredibly dissapointing. Normally I'm not someone who bitches about stuff, but this pilot pissed the hell out of me. I'll try to explain why I didn't like it in the best possible terms. Possible spoilers ahead!

First, the characters. The leads were extremly dull and I only found Stephen Lang's character remotely entertaining, but even he felt undeveloped.
    Most of the stuff the characters did was extremly stupid. I mean, you are in a world inhabited but some of the most dangerous creatures that ever lived, and you go out in a jeep? Great! Why don't we just serve ourselves to the "slashers" on a plate? Geez.

Second, the dinosaurs. The element that most people were looking forward to, including me. The main problem is that we only saw THREE (3) species. And none of them added anything to the plot, really. It would have been about the same it they wouldn't have been there.
    The first spieces we saw a group of Brachiosaurus, and this was supposed to be a scene of awe, but the main problem with this scene is we have already seen this exact same scene before. I'm not only talking about the famous first Brachiosaurus scene from Jurassic Park, but also the second one, where the kids and Grant feed the big cows. It felt like a mix between those two, without never reaching the levels of feeling those two scenes had. And the Brachiosaurus design and animation was quite poor. Sure, I understand this is a TV show, but the budget was huge! The main problem I see is that they didn't study other animals (and the JP films) correctly, to try to "get" how much life there was in those 1993 CGI/animatronics hybrids.

Then we got to see a group of Carnotaurus that roared like a digital chicken or something, a scene that stole a lot of shots directly from Disney's Dinosaur. Were they even trying to be original?
    And after that, the worst of them all: The "Slashers". Sounds like something Littlefoot and company would call don't it? Anyways, the idea of bringing original made-up dinosaurs seems brilliant but here it was terribly executed. The predator design seemed quite akward and was never consistent, changing radically from scene to scene. And how it attacked its preys seemed wrongly done, because it seemed impossible how it would make those movements. It looked more like it was a having an epilectic attack or something.

Anyways, as I don't want to keep going and going I'm gonna sum up: The direction was quite poor, the script was overly cheesy, the acting seemed mediocre and the music was just awful.
    If it gets better I'll catch on but so far I'm not holding my breath. Still, if they can at least rework the dinosaurs a bit and make them more life-like, I'll keep watching.

Let's hope this doesn't affect how JPIV is gonna turn out.
  • edited September 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    That was F***NG AWESOME, if spielberg can do this with Jp4 (or joe jhonston rather) i will be very happy

not joe johnston. jp3 wasn't very good. it has to be spielberg
  • edited September 2011
    I have to agree with Trenchfoot. Cheesy, overly melodramatic, poor CGI work and not nearly enough of the good old puppetry that makes JP work. The teen drama storyline was far too present and entirely lame. Lang was the only character that interested me. I am disappoint.
  • edited September 2011
    Well I won't bother to watch then. As expected. :/
  • edited September 2011
    I have this sitting on my DVR at home. I *was* looking for forward to watching it.
  • edited September 2011
    It's actually a good show. I mean I don't even compare it to anything else. I mean some of the pacing was a little off but it was still good. A lot better than I was expecting.
  • edited September 2011
    I think its a nice little show, yes as Trenchfoot pointed out some characters are rather flat, but that's true of any TV show at the start, you start with flat generic character types that get built up over the course of the show because it is impossible to fully establish ALLL the characters fully in just 1 episode.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm giving it a chance.
  • edited September 2011
    Watched it. Liked it. Didn't Love it.
    -I found the female lead annoying.
    -The CGI was fine, what I expected from a TV show budget.
    -The whole father/son strained relationship was forced...I just didn't feel it....
    -Overall I give it an 7.5/10
  • edited September 2011
    My only problem was the relationship between the father and the son and, to an extent, the relationship with the wife as well. I really hate this approach that a lot of movies take. They always kind of pin the dad as the "bad guy".

Here's a guy who just broke out of prision and risked even more time in prision to make sure that the entire family made it to Terra Nova. How do they repay him? They start throwing the blame on him for everything. His son sneaks out with a bunch of kids who end up almost getting killed and some how it wasn't the son but the father who got most of the heat for that. Movies have been doing this for a while and I don't quite agree with it.

Other than that though, I liked every thing else. This is my new "The Lost World". I just hope it doesn't end like The Lost World: A cliff hanger that is never resolved because of being cancled.
  • edited September 2011
    SeanJP wrote: »
    anyone watching terra nova its pretty cool but it thiught that since speilberg is a producer for it they would use the jp dino soundeffects but its alright the brachs look so cool

The funny thing about that is that Falling Skies uses the raptor sound indiscriminately for the skitter language. I was very disappointed by that, they didn't even try to alter it at all.
  • edited September 2011
    My only problem was the relationship between the father and the son and, to an extent, the relationship with the wife as well. I really hate this approach that a lot of movies take. They always kind of pin the dad as the "bad guy".

Here's a guy who just broke out of prision and risked even more time in prision to make sure that the entire family made it to Terra Nova. How do they repay him? They start throwing the blame on him for everything. His son sneaks out with a bunch of kids who end up almost getting killed and some how it wasn't the son but the father who got most of the heat for that. Movies have been doing this for a while and I don't quite agree with it.

Other than that though, I liked every thing else. This is my new "The Lost World". I just hope it doesn't end like The Lost World: A cliff hanger that is never resolved because of being cancled.

I used to watch The Lost World too...sad when it was cancelled without conclusion

I don't think they really pinned the dad as the bad guy per se. I think what happens is that most movies/shows have the disobedient kid who does what ever he wants and walks all over his dad, the dad does nothing because of remorse/guilt. And at the very end the kids gets in some sort of trouble and the dad is just so glad that he's alive that they forget to punish/teach their kid a lesson.

Next the the mom, the son was the next most annoying character. I really had more sympathy for the Dad then son. Just my opinion though.
  • edited September 2011
    I've been on or about 10 different forums, and the main theme i keep seeing is, "well, i was looking forward to seeing it, but now I don't know if I want to". Can we as a society not make our own decisions? The show is One hour and 25 min without commercials. Watch it for yourself and come up with your own opinion.
  • edited September 2011
    I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I will watch the next upcoming episode and probably the rest of the season. One question though. What species is the "slasher" dinosaur? Is it even a real species?

私輪わかりました!!!:confused:
  • edited September 2011
    Nope, not a real species, i mean it shares characteristics from many species, but its definitely made up
  • edited September 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    It's actually a good show. I mean I don't even compare it to anything else. I mean some of the pacing was a little off but it was still good. A lot better than I was expecting.

yea and after doing some research i found 2 biological errors already, A: carnotaurus was a LATE CRETACEOUS carnivore, and the "slashers" dilophosaurus was WAY to big, i mean there are 2 species of dilophosaur in the fossil record but NONE of them achive that size, i suppose they could always discover a massive one later but again HIGHLY UNLIKELY, i thought it was a good show and noticed a dimorphodon in the add for the next episode so i hope they get the animals in the right time period instead of making an epic fail dino flick,
    i haz hope tho
  • edited September 2011
    DiegoTengo wrote: »
    I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I will watch the next upcoming episode and probably the rest of the season. One question though. What species is the "slasher" dinosaur? Is it even a real species?

私輪わかりました!!!:confused:

I think it's a monolophosaurus. It seems to be the right size, and has the right characteristics. (With the exception of the spikes on it's tail.)
  • edited September 2011
    I couldn't get past the preaching before the dad escapes into the time portal. I believe in ecological conservation as much as the next guy, and it's certainly an important issue that will affect a lot of peoples' futures, but do you have to go at it with a sledgehammer?
  • edited September 2011
    I personally liked it. I thought it was OK not amazing! When they were looking over Terra Nova you could hear the Brach sound they used in Jurassic Park. Js. It gave me goosebumps cause I think it's the most beautiful sound ever!
  • edited September 2011
    I personally loved the pilot. I found the story, and the explanation of how time travel doesn't screw with "our" future entertaining and very remincent of classic science fiction novels like "Make Room, Make Room". (Or Soylent Green for those of you who watched the movie.) I also enjoyed the little reffernces (like Jurassic Park and The Sound of Thunder.) I found the effects to be pretty good. I thought that there was a lack of dinosaurs, but in all honesty I kind of expected it. (Hopefully we'll see that Allosaur they teased in the begining.) The acting I found to be decent, particularly from Stephen Lang (Commander Nathaniel Taylor). Like I said I loved the pilot. It far exceeded my expectations and I'm certainly looking forward to the next episode.
  • edited September 2011
    I think it's a monolophosaurus. It seems to be the right size, and has the right characteristics. (With the exception of the spikes on it's tail.)
    It's actually a fictional dinosaur called an Acceraptor - "slashing thief". Some of the dinosaurs aren't going to be based off of real ones.
  • edited September 2011
    I think the slasher is something that they just made up. I remember reading that they're using some fake dinosaurs that may have existed back then and also using dinosaur they know existed back then.
  • edited September 2011
    I personally loved the pilot. I found the story, and the explanation of how time travel doesn't screw with "our" future entertaining and very remincent of classic science fiction novels like "Make Room, Make Room". (Or Soylent Green for those of you who watched the movie.) I also enjoyed the little reffernces (like Jurassic Park and The Sound of Thunder.) I found the effects to be pretty good. I thought that there was a lack of dinosaurs, but in all honesty I kind of expected it. (Hopefully we'll see that Allosaur they teased in the begining.) The acting I found to be decent, particularly from Stephen Lang (Commander Nathaniel Taylor). Like I said I loved the pilot. It far exceeded my expectations and I'm certainly looking forward to the next episode.

I think your right but it could be the acceraptor that the other fellow spoke of, it could just be like a made up dinosaur, which is possible, which in its self is ecologically accurate because as i have said befor, 37% of dinosaur species will never be found due to the rarities associated with fossilization
  • edited September 2011
    I think your right but it could be the acceraptor that the other fellow spoke of, it could just be like a made up dinosaur, which is possible, which in its self is ecologically accurate because as i have said befor, 37% of dinosaur species will never be found due to the rarities associated with fossilization

ITS A MADE UP DINOSAUR. THERE IS NOT SUCH THING AS AN ACCERAPTOR. This is the name the shows creators decided to give the dinosaur they made up. Its obviously based on real dinosaurs(like oviraptor), but other than that this dinosaur is completely fictional.
  • edited September 2011
    I watched Terra Nova last night and really enjoyed it. Looks like this just replaced my TV show slot for Lost.
  • edited September 2011
    Just finished watching it. Someone earlier said that they didn't use any JP dino sounds...are you kidding? That's pretty much all the "slashers" used.

I don't know where the thing about Brachiosaurs eating small lizards came from, I've never heard of ANYTHING like that.

The Carnotaurus was almost alright, until I saw the arms. They were WAY too long. People claim T-rex had tiny arms, but Carnotaurus' arms are almost vestigial.

As for the slashers...they sort of have a mix of crested dinosaurs and raptors, but beyond that...they honestly didn't seem that menacing. A pack of Deinonychus would've worked just fine.

I was very creeped out by the gigantic centipede. I hate those things in real life, and I can't imagine seeing one that big.

As for the humans...can't the guy playing the commander do some other role, or is he always going to be the big-time military guy in a primitive environment? The family, not bad, but like someone else said, I'm tired of the dad getting crap for what he's done. If the son keeps up the antagonistic attitude through the rest of the show, it's gonna get old fast.

Not a bad show, I'd like to keep watching it. But there is a big problem. I LIKE IT. And it's on FOX. I predict it'll get axed before the mid-season. Seriously, did no one tell Spielberg that Fox hates sci-fi?
  • edited September 2011
    Lol fictional = made up!! XD
  • edited September 2011
    The carnivores seem a little too much like monsters than just animals, especially the slashers.
  • edited September 2011
    I hate Josh, the son, his moodiness makes me want to throw my shoe at the TV. I truly wasn't anticipating a family drama, but that's definitely what I'm getting right now. It seems like the stereotypical FOX Sci-fi. If they were gonna take it in this direction they should have called it "Jurassic Brothers and Sisters" or "The Secret Life of the Jurassic Teenager". :C
  • edited September 2011
    I like it... But yeah the characters are super generic, seems like every modern SciFi show has these EXACT characters. I think the ratings for this show will drop fast, anything but massive ratings will make it way too expensive for fox to allow to continue. Its too bad because despite the predictable characters I think the show could end up being interesting..
  • edited October 2011
    The first episode is showing down here tomorrow night. Looking forward to it, though opinions on this thread sound mixed.
  • edited October 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I like it... But yeah the characters are super generic, seems like every modern SciFi show has these EXACT characters. I think the ratings for this show will drop fast, anything but massive ratings will make it way too expensive for fox to allow to continue. Its too bad because despite the predictable characters I think the show could end up being interesting..

Actually, if the characters are generic and predictable, it'll last 15 billion seasons on Fox. I'm sorry, but any time a show on Fox shows some real merit, they shoot it down. Just look at Firefly.
  • edited October 2011
    LOL... Yeah Firefly :(
  • edited October 2011
    So far the only dinosaurs that have been mentioned are 1. An Allosaur, 2. Brachiosaurus, 3. Carnotaurus, and 4. "Slasher Tail" - AKA Acceraptor. There was also an unidentified pterosaur flying over the settlement.
  • edited October 2011
    I don't know where the thing about Brachiosaurs eating small lizards came from, I've never heard of ANYTHING like that.

I've heard something like that before. There was a dino documentary on Discovery channel this past year (Clash of the Dinosaurs, I think it was) that made the claim that baby sauropods, small and defenseless, needed the proteins from eating meat in order to quickly grow to a size large enough to defend themselves from predators.

I don't know how much truth there is in that claim, or how seriously that theory is taken among paleontologists, but it is interesting, and possibly where the writers/producers of Terra Nova got the idea.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.