Compsognathus CONFIRMED?!

edited October 2011 in Jurassic Park
for those of you who have been following the media being put out ahead of the upcoming release of the trilogy on blu-ray, you might have noticed this little gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0b57fCGU3g.

in it, the barbasol shaving cream prop (among other things) from the film is shown off and discussed. now, of course, this may not be the original, screen-used barbasol can, but, if it is, we may finally have what i would consider to be the first-hand evidence we've been waiting for to confirm the identity of the fourteenth dinosaurs genus on isla nublar: compsognathus. compsognathus has long been speculated to be the fourteenth genus, but, to my knowledge, all evidence to date has been circumstantial. i've long wanted to get a good look at the full list of names listed on the embryo tubes* and the other various props that are shown just briefly in the film, and this seems to be one of those looks -- and i think the guy in the video knows it. now, if we could only confirm pteranodon as the long-rumored fifteenth genus, i would be quite a happy man.

*i saw the tubes in nyc in 1994 as park of a traveling "jurassic park" exhibit and didn't take the time to read the names, which, sadly, is one of my biggest regrets.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Compy was also confirmed in the brochure they handed out back in 94 and this so it means. The theories have become fact.
  • edited October 2011
    They already comfirmed it.
  • edited October 2011
    the brochure from the exhibit, which i have, was not a screen-used prop. it was non-canonical, derivative material. when and where has the presence of compsognathus ever been confirmed before with first-hand, canonical evidence? i've been looking for it on and off to some degree for the past eighteen years and have never once found it. needless to say, i'd be thrilled to see it.
  • edited October 2011
    As far as I was aware compys were taken as confirmed based on the various evidence, despite not being 100% movie prop evidence, as it was brochures that recreated the movie prop and the exhibits etc were all run by the same source and did not throw up any contradictions so why disallow them as canon?

It's not like a spin-off show that contradicts prior canon and isnt made by original source so is written off as non-canon. It all came from the same source and none of it was contradictory
  • edited October 2011
    i, like many other fans, have always held a firm belief that the remaining genera would be compsognathus and pteranodon and, as you said, there's been a great deal of circumstantial evidence to support this. this embryo tube, however, is the first non-circumstantial evidence that i know of. short of confirming that the can featured in the video was, in fact, screen-used, it may be the proof we need to confirm what we'd believed for many years. of course, depending on how careful the prop department was, it could be quite possible that these items, when taken together, do provide a source of internal contradiction. after all, a fictional universe is only as consistent as the people creating it. i, for one, have my fingers crossed that at least some of the bonus materials being released with the trilogy will provide us with some more insight.
  • edited October 2011
    i, like many other fans, have always held a firm belief that the remaining genera would be compsognathus and pteranodon and, as you said, there's been a great deal of circumstantial evidence to support this. this embryo tube, however, is the first non-circumstantial evidence that i know of. short of confirming that the can featured in the video was, in fact, screen-used, it may be the proof we need to confirm what we'd believed for many years. of course, depending on how careful the prop department was, it could be quite possible that these items, when taken together, do provide a source of internal contradiction. after all, a fictional universe is only as consistent as the people creating it. i, for one, have my fingers crossed that at least some of the bonus materials being released with the trilogy will provide us with some more insight.

They talked to kevin padion....for those of you who dont follow the world of paleontology He's Known as one of the leading pterosaur experts. it would be a poor decision not to add pteranodon. Especially when you have a wealth of knowledge like that at your disposal.
  • edited October 2011
    Isn't ptreadon far more confirmed that compys were?
    Isn't there explicit signs etc for the aviary seen in JP1 and in non-bluray interviews etc didn't they already say the aviary sequence was originally going to be in jp1 but it got axed?

Or am I miss remembering?
  • edited October 2011
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    Isn't there explicit signs etc for the aviary seen in JP1 and in non-bluray interviews etc didn't they already say the aviary sequence was originally going to be in jp1 but it got axed?

That's right. Steven Spielberg wanted to re-create the Aviary scene for the film, but due to budget problems he was unable to create the Aviary scene. It probably would have been like the novel, except Grant and the Kids would be attacked by Pteranodons instead of the Cearadactylus.
  • edited October 2011
    it seems strange not to see Compsognathus in the park, they are the scavengers, although they are not in an enclosure are everywhere, enough to throw a piece of bread on the ground, and here appears a compsognatus that eats it.
    even if they have a major role, however, may put them in the background running.
  • edited October 2011
    Can someone check this for me? In my DVD version of The Lost world: JP, when Robert Burke is identifying the compy the subtitles actually name it Procompsognathus triassicus instead of just Compsognathus triassicus. Can someone check the Bluray edition and see if they corrected that.... otherwise.. maybe the actor just got the name wrong on screen and this whole time the species was intended to be Procompsognathus in the movies...
  • edited October 2011
    Can someone check this for me? In my DVD version of The Lost world: JP, when Robert Burke is identifying the compy the subtitles actually name it Procompsognathus triassicus instead of just Compsognathus triassicus. Can someone check the Bluray edition and see if they corrected that.... otherwise.. maybe the actor just got the name wrong on screen and this whole time the species was intended to be Procompsognathus in the movies...

in the novel they say procompsognathus. they must be trying to cover up the mistake lol,
  • edited October 2011
    I immediately thought the same thing when I saw that video of the shaving cream can. I would love to get my hands on the original prop and confirm what all the names in it are.
  • edited October 2011
    I immediately thought the same thing when I saw that video of the shaving cream can. I would love to get my hands on the original prop and confirm what all the names in it are.

Uhhh...I'm curious, how would the shaving cream can help ID the species? As I recall, it just held the embryos, and the embryos themselves didn't seem to be labeled....wow, that's actually kinda bad for BioSyn. "Let's clone a dinosaur!" "What kind will it be?" "Uh...I don't know. Ah, but what are the odds of it being dangerous?" *clones a velociraptor* "Awww, how cute."
  • edited October 2011
    That is not an actual mistake,it's a nice easter egg about the novel,and it's intentional.
    Uhhh...I'm curious, how would the shaving cream can help ID the species? As I recall, it just held the embryos, and the embryos themselves didn't seem to be labeled....wow, that's actually kinda bad for BioSyn. "Let's clone a dinosaur!" "What kind will it be?" "Uh...I don't know. Ah, but what are the odds of it being dangerous?" *clones a velociraptor* "Awww, how cute."
    The vials containing the embryos ARE labeled .The initials are the dinosaur species and the numbers represent the version of the cloned dinosaur.

PR – 3.01 Proceratosaurus or Pteranodon
    SA – 2.03 Segisaurus
    TC – 2.05 Triceratops
    ST – 2.0 Stegosaurus
    DL – 2.0 Dilophosaurus
    VR – 1.0 Velocirator
    TC – 2.0(?) Triceratops
    VR – 2.0 Velociraptor (version 2)
    TR – 1.0 Tyrannosaurus Rex
    MT – 1.02 Metriacanthosaurus

There are others but no one knows their labels.
    830px-JP-DinoDNA1.jpg
  • edited October 2011
    TorQue wrote: »
    That is not an actual mistake,it's a nice easter egg about the novel,and it's intentional.

The vials containing the embryos ARE labeled .The initials are the dinosaur species and the numbers represent the version of the cloned dinosaur.

PR – 3.01 Proceratosaurus or Pteranodon
    SA – 2.03 Segisaurus
    TC – 2.05 Triceratops
    ST – 2.0 Stegosaurus
    DL – 2.0 Dilophosaurus
    VR – 1.0 Velocirator
    TC – 2.0(?) Triceratops
    VR – 2.0 Velociraptor (version 2)
    TR – 1.0 Tyrannosaurus Rex
    MT – 1.02 Metriacanthosaurus

There are others but no one knows their labels.
    830px-JP-DinoDNA1.jpg
    BA for Brachiosaurus or Baryonyx is the only one not there, but I can't remember the version number though.
  • edited October 2011
    BA for Brachiosaurus or Baryonyx is the only one not there, but I can't remember the version number though.
    spe

speaking in cannon: wouldnt troodon be found there as well???
  • edited October 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »
    spe

speaking in cannon: wouldnt troodon be found there as well???

If troodon were there then Harding would know about them being on the island, but we already know that Harding does not know about them.
  • edited October 2011
    in the book, wu has a sixteenth species under development, which is a "presumed coelurosaur." it would be pretty cool if that element of the book was worked into the game to explain the troodon. then again, we all well know now that wu was not telling the truth about there being only fifteen species -- in the books he had at least another dozen and in the films he had at least another seven or eight.
  • edited October 2011
    in the book, wu has a sixteenth species under development, which is a "presumed coelurosaur." it would be pretty cool if that element of the book was worked into the game to explain the troodon. then again, we all well know now that wu was not telling the truth about there being only fifteen species -- in the books he had at least another dozen and in the films he had at least another seven or eight.

However in the books and films most of the "excess" species aren't particularly hidden they are simply on isla sorna being developed ready to export to isla nublar when they are perfected.
  • edited October 2011
    Compies confirmed in-game? Twitter posted a map; look down by the Brachiosaur icon.

https://twitter.com/#!/telltalegames...304834/photo/1
  • edited October 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »
    Compies confirmed in-game? Twitter posted a map; look down by the Brachiosaur icon.

I love you telltale, really and truly I do. And I'm so grateful for this game! :) But if this is the map, I will be disappointed. I give you all credit for not listing the "Hidden attractions" on the map like Troodon and Mosasaurus. And for SUPPOSEDLY having the Compies on the map as well. But I will always and forever picture having 15 species on the island and Pteranodon instead of Mosasaurus. D: Please let there be Pteranodons!!! I am really upset now!

Also for people who care, In the books there are precisely 20 genera and 5 unofficial genera totaling for a count of 25 extinct genera in the books.

Official genera: 1. T-Rex, 2. Velociraptor, 3. Dilophosaurus, 4. Procompsognathus, 5. Cearadactylus, 6. Apatosaurus, 7. Hadrosaurus, 8. Maiasaura, 9. Microceratops, 10. Triceratops, 11. Styracosaurus, 12. Euoplocephalus, 13. Stegosaurus, 14. Hypsilophodon, 15. Othnielia, 16. Mussaurus, 17. Carnotaurus, 18. Parasaurolophus, 19. Gallimimus, 20. Pachycephalosaurus.

Unofficial genera: 1. Camarasaurus, 2. Callovosaurus, 3. Coelurosaurus, 4. Meganeura, and 5. Ornitholestes.
  • edited October 2011
    AndyCullen wrote: »

Why is Stegosaurus not on this map....... D:< :mad: GRRR!!!! TELLTALE!!!!
  • edited October 2011
    The map obviously playes homage to the JP Brochure map. Its really cool. I kinda alreay knew that Pteranodon was probably not going to be featured. I was kinda hoping however that we would see Stegosaurus....ohh well...I'm still super excited!! They should include this map with the hard copy of the game.
  • edited October 2011
    "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
  • edited October 2011
    "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
    Nope, but it sure is a start :)
  • edited October 2011
    Uhhhh...what map?

Compies are DEFINITIVELY confirmed, see my new thread in a moment!
  • edited October 2011
    I'm so siked that we see Pteranodon!! I'm perplexed by the fact they're JP3 Pteranodons and not TLW Pteranodons though.
  • edited October 2011
    Whoo!! The game is officially canon now! :D Compys & Pteranodon are confirmed now. But where does that put Mosasaurus as one of the embryos?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.