Languages?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I know that translations are never perfect, and I always prefer the original version, but sometimes you're tired and want to play without much thinking, and playing in a language that is not yours is more uncomfortable, like try to drive from the back seat (Rebecca Black reference?). And a lot of people can't play with only english subtitles. I have many friends that would love to play Back to the Future and Jurassic Park games but they just CAN'T.

I thought that Microsoft would help with translations, like they did with Wallace & Gromit, which has been the only TT game in Xbox to the date and had multilingual support.

Maybe my post was a bit hostile, but I was sad and needed to let off steam.
  • edited November 2011
    nomecopies wrote: »
    I know that translations are never perfect, and I always prefer the original version, but sometimes you're tired and want to play without much thinking, and playing in a language that is not yours is more uncomfortable, like try to drive from the back seat (Rebecca Black reference?). And a lot of people can't play with only english subtitles. I have many friends that would love to play Back to the Future and Jurassic Park games but they just CAN'T.

+1.
  • edited November 2011
    I agree with nomecopies, it is nice to play in their own language, without the stress of having to translate the sentences.
  • edited November 2011
    Let's see which PC games that are due to release this month will include Italian and Spanish languages (list from vgreleases.com):

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    NCIS - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Sonic Generations - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Aliens:Colonial Marines POSTPONED RELEASE (but all past Gearbox games were at least in Italian)
    Jurassic Park: The Game - :confused:
    Need For Speed: The Run - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Saints Row: The Third - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Assassin's Creed 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Anno 2070 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Time of Fury (cannot find any info from Wasteland Interactive)
    Serious Sam 3: BFE - ITALIAN&SPANISH

Which is the only game that is known to not have Italian and Spanish languages?:rolleyes:
  • edited November 2011
    Will German language be included in the Steam release or do I to have to order it directly from Telltale to get the game in German?
  • edited November 2011
    Let's see which PC games that are due to release this month will include Italian and Spanish languages (list from vgreleases.com):

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    NCIS - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Sonic Generations - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Aliens:Colonial Marines POSTPONED RELEASE (but all past Gearbox games were at least in Italian)
    Jurassic Park: The Game - :confused:
    Need For Speed: The Run - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Saints Row: The Third - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Assassin's Creed 3 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Anno 2070 - ITALIAN&SPANISH
    Time of Fury (cannot find any info from Wasteland Interactive)
    Serious Sam 3: BFE - ITALIAN&SPANISH

Which is the only game that is known to not have Italian and Spanish languages?:rolleyes:

Key difference:
    Telltale is a relatively small dev company with budget limitations.
    All the others are highly funded massive corporations.

To telltale each language taken for translation = a fair slice of budget that could be used to make the game a whole lot better and has limited consumer impact since like 90% of the world can speak english to some degree and therefore can cope with english only.

To massive devs of the other games, they probably already have in house translation teams and the cost is like a drip in an ocean in their budget.

Afterall translation is a big effort, its not just simply this is english this is italian its essentially a full re-write of dialogue to translate the grammar, slang terminology, colloquialisms of language and in some cases entire re-imagines to make puzzles/challenges work as they can be wording dependant. (good example is the speak easy password in BTTF, the options in other languages have to be entirely different for the mechanic of last syallble = first of answer to work)
    Plus not only is there that element of re-writing it all there is the cost of getting an entire extra cast of voice actors for the language if its a full translation.
  • edited November 2011
    It will be out for spanish and german just with sub titles it's coming out with a lot of a variety of languages just with sub titles. Im good with english so im not worried
  • edited November 2011
    italians should start to learn english
  • edited November 2011
    JPFix wrote: »
    italians should start to learn english

Uao. Nice answer. So everybody in Europe should start to learn english because it's too difficult to make subtitles? German and French too, I suppose.
  • edited November 2011
    Uao. Nice answer. So everybody in Europe should start to learn english because it's too difficult to make subtitles? German and French too, I suppose.

:D Good answer. Bravo!!

Now also have to learn Chinese, is the language of fashion. I'm on it.
  • edited November 2011
    It will be out for spanish and german just with sub titles
    What game are you talking about?
  • edited November 2011
    ... Imagine us, from Brazil???? Or... the Russians, Chinese and Japanese! We all play a lot video games and our market is good for that! :)

Telltale should invite cheap translators for that.... hehehe I candidate myself to translate the texts to Brazilian Portuguese! hueuhueh

Isn't that what the fan communities do? the MODs with translations. The point is that not all costumers are used to play complex games out of their native languages. Mainly European, asian, Hispanic and Luso Americas too...

Not all costummers are fortunate to know English pretty well.

For example, I would like to buy a copy of Back to the Future to my 10-year-old nephew. But he could never play such a game. He's a Brazilian kid, and a brazilian kid doesnt speak fluent English....

The same with the Spaniards, Italians and Japanese...

Look this link: the most spoken languages of the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
  • edited November 2011
    Which Languages are included in pre-order Jurassic Park: Deluxe Pack?
  • edited November 2011
    The Knight wrote: »
    Which Languages are included in pre-order Jurassic Park: Deluxe Pack?

English and German audio, English, German, and French subtitles.
  • edited November 2011
    Great!°!!!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2011
    On a very general note, we've had this discussion for every game since time memorial. I actually recall a very heated thread for BTTF where German was the most-demanded language for the game. Strangely, when the surprising announcement was made that there IS German text and speech, the extent of applause didn't quite match the former aggression.

So, just a reminder to keep this discussion alive with a fair share of walking in someone else's shoes. If you speak English, it's hard not to look down on people who can not play a game in its original language. If you live in a country which doesn't have a dubbing culture, it's hard to understand why subtitles just don't suffice. If you're not in the translation or voiceover business, you might have an oversimplified idea of the process and its obstacles for smaller companies.

BTTF was a great step forward concerning foreign language support. It does leave a lot to be desired, but I'm sure the more successful TTG is internationally, the more languages will follow in future games. It's just that for the initial release of Jurassic Park, obviously the same connections were used as for the Back to the Future game, hence the same languages.

As always, individual publishers in foreign countries may contact TTG and sell the product with their own translation and voiceover work in retail editions, so don't give up hope for an Italian or Portuguese edition of Jurassic Park just now.

Woodsyblue wrote: »
    More people may speak Portuguese and Spanish, but it's very likely a higher percentage of German people will be interested in this game. I don't pretend to understand it, I just accept it.

That's it. Can't say I'd really understand it, but it seems like you can sell adventure games in Germany quite well. So well in fact that a once-planned LucasArts Fate of Atlantis sequel was cancelled after marketing chances in Germany were judged to be bad.

There are many ways to evaluate which translation would be the best idea. A rather easy one is to have a look at your website hits and where they come from - this way you'll have a first "interest map" for your game world domination plan. I wonder how this statistics looks for TTG.
  • edited November 2011
    if we only refer to the number of people who speak a certain language (mother tongue), we would have to make the following language support (in this order):

1. Chinese (1.213.000.000 speakers)
    2. Spanish (329.000.000 speakers)
    3. English (328.000.000 speakers)
    4. Hindi (242.000.000 speakers)
    5. Arabic (221.000.000 speakers)
    6. Bengali (181.000.000 speakers)
    7. Portuguese (178.000.000 speakers)
    8. Russian (144.000.000 speakers)
    9. Japanese (122.000.000 speakers)
    10. German (90.000.000 speakers)
    11. French (68.000.000 speakers)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2011
    How exactly can German only have 90,000,000 speakers when the combined populations of Austria, Switzerland and Germany have already 98,000,000? ;)
  • edited November 2011
    How exactly can German only have 90,000,000 speakers when the combined populations of Austria, Switzerland and Germany have already 98,000,000? ;)

Not everyone in Switzerland speaks German...
  • edited November 2011

http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/distribution.asp?by=size

offensichtlich lernt hat nicht jeder in deutschland, österreich oder der schweiz geborene deutsch als muttersprache :)
  • edited November 2011
    The only problem that occurs in these situations, which also has passed a lot with tellgames games is that the Italians, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, etc. .....
    Pirate and download it as there is always someone like culaquiera of us who care about their house translation.
    And frankly it makes you feel very badly, because I always buy it via steam all original and I have a ps3 and I have all original, so please enter need someone tellgames team answer me and tell me if in the future are going to translate .
  • edited November 2011
    The only problem that occurs in these situations, which also has passed a lot with tellgames games is that the Italians, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, etc. .....
    Pirate and download it as there is always someone like culaquiera of us who care about their house translation.
    And frankly it makes you feel very badly, because I always buy it via steam all original and I have a ps3 and I have all original, so please enter need someone tellgames team answer me and tell me if in the future are going to translate .

Oh come on - only because the game has no language but english can't be a reason to pirate it. I am from germany and I have bought Sam+Max, TOMI, Poker Night, Puzzle Agent, Strong Bad and Hector and not one of these games had german language coming with it. No reason to pirate the game. In fact - even if you would pirate it, there still woudn't be additional languages in it ;)
  • edited November 2011
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    No reason to pirate the game. In fact - even if you would pirate it, there still woudn't be additional languages in it ;)

Yeah, pirating is even worse - if they had no market in Europe, they will not translate anything.
  • edited November 2011
    hi
    ...How to open the encrypted files of subtitles?..
  • edited November 2011
    mircocatta wrote: »
    hi
    ...How to open the encrypted files of subtitles?..

Check your Private Messages! ;)
  • edited November 2011
    I want to buy Jurassic Park from Steam but it seems only English is offered (I'm french).

I read on this topic the game was supposed to offer german voices and french text.

Does Steam is wrong and include french text?
    Does Steam version doesn't include french text but digital version from telltale do?
    Does no version include french text at the end because french people doesn't deserve it?
    Will I cook tonight or will I order a pizza?

Please answer my questions, I'm deeply in trouble...
  • edited November 2011
    Anklum,

The Steam version has the same language options as the version on our site. English and German voices, with English, French and German subtitles.
  • edited November 2011
    Thank you very much, I can buy it now ;)

You should tell to steam to update their page, it's wrong :/
  • edited December 2011
    Also you should order pizza. Or at least I should.:D
  • edited September 2012
    English.
  • edited April 2013
    I have a question. Is there anyway that i can reach the language files and translate them to another language for people who doesnt know english?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.