Something I noticed about the Novel T-Rex fences.

edited November 2011 in Jurassic Park
I was reading the T-Rex main road attack scene from the Novel, and it just dawned on me that the T-Rex fence was only 12 feet high, and was electrified cyclone fencing, more commonly known as chain link fencing.

Kinda puny when you compare it to the 20-30 foot high vertical wire fencing in the film haha

but I figured I'd share that , I guess I was wondering how many people caught that in the Novel.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Hmmm... never noticed. lol The problem with me in that I tend to mentally add stuff from the movie into the book. So when they mention the fence I see the one from the movie. Or when the talk about Ian Malcolm it's Jeff Goldblum. Stuff like that. lol

But yeah, way puny compaired to the film.
  • edited November 2011
    Hmmm... never noticed. lol The problem with me in that I tend to mentally add stuff from the movie into the book. So when they mention the fence I see the one from the movie. Or when the talk about Ian Malcolm it's Jeff Goldblum. Stuff like that. lol

But yeah, way puny compaired to the film.

That happens to me too! Like right after any dinosaur is physically described I discard that info and imagine the movie counterpart instead! lol
  • edited November 2011
    haha same here! but when I heard "12 foot high Cyclone fence", I stopped and realized that wasn't the same thing as the movie, and googled it up haha
  • edited November 2011
    Please don't make me think at this orrible scene in the movie.

I would like to make you observe how the terrain swap up and down during the attack and tree-climb-down sequence.

T-Rex cames out at the same higness of the car, the goat is positionated at the same highness of the car (please forgive me if I don't write correctly...), but when Lex, Tim and Grant jump in the other side of the fence, they found a jump of.... don't know... more or less the same T-Rex height.
  • edited November 2011
    Horrible scene? Whaaaaat? The rex attack scene is probably just about one of the best scenes in any movie. I know what you're saying about the height swap, but still.
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Horrible scene? Whaaaaat? The rex attack scene is probably just about one of the best scenes in any movie. I know what you're saying about the height swap, but still.

I have to agree it blended cgi and anamatronics beautifuly. Plus the rex pushes the car several yards.
  • edited November 2011
    what i don't really get in the novel is...
    ...how the t-rex was able to lift the land cruiser and throw it ONto the tree. it was all the same ground in the novel. no moat and no cliff.
  • edited November 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    ...how the t-rex was able to lift the land cruiser and throw it ONto the tree. it was all the same ground in the novel. no moat and no cliff.

Easy, grab it and throw it in the air.
  • edited November 2011
    Easy, grab it and throw it in the air.

the t-rex grabbing a toyota land cruiser and lifting it???

its forearms are way too small and weak...
    its snout is way to small and weak...

unless it's not a toy car ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Two words...Genetic Re-Creation. Or is that three words? Seriously though...I think Ingen made mistakes and that's why some of the animals were able to do the things they did.
  • edited November 2011
    actually we shouldn't pick the novel apart.
    of course it has weak points too...

or can anyone argue why 29 free roaming velociraptors can keep themselves unseen for months or even years?
    when other species bred that there was never seen any baby or half grown (on video)?

so let's keep up the good points :)
  • edited November 2011
    It was a light weight electric Land Cruiser in the eighties, the older land cruiser was more the size of a large Station Wagon than an SUV, so it is fairly possible. and it doesn't pick it up with its arms lol, it picks it up in its jaws.

And I'm pretty sure that there WAS some sort of hill after the Rex fence, no cliff like in the movie, but it was at least a slight incline lol
  • edited November 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Two words...Genetic Re-Creation. Or is that three words? Seriously though...I think Ingen made mistakes and that's why some of the animals were able to do the things they did.

Well I'm not saying it's true fro teh T-rex, but they are basically sticking different animal DNA together alongside small fragments of genuine dinosaur DNA until they get what looks like the dinosaur in their head. This is alongside that DNA sequences Guanine is always attached to Cytosine and Adenine is always attached to Thymine makes it slightly easier for the gene sequences to let the scientist know what bit of DNA from which animal would be most appropriate.

All of this makes me think they needed a palaeontologist on their staff to identify the animal. Makes me want to see a JP prequel even more now!
  • edited November 2011
    She got bit by a radio active spider and got super strength... Did you skip that part of the book?
  • edited November 2011
    Jedi-78 wrote: »
    Please don't make me think at this orrible scene in the movie.

I would like to make you observe how the terrain swap up and down during the attack and tree-climb-down sequence.

T-Rex cames out at the same higness of the car, the goat is positionated at the same highness of the car (please forgive me if I don't write correctly...), but when Lex, Tim and Grant jump in the other side of the fence, they found a jump of.... don't know... more or less the same T-Rex height.

The area where the t-rex breaks through the fence is between the two tour vehicles. The elevation there is the same level on both sides of the fence.

Where the big drop is, is ahead of the first car. It is not the same location as where the rex broke through. There is a steep incline or dropoff (perhaps an unfinished concrete moat) between the two areas within the rex paddock.
  • edited November 2011
    Keep in mind I haven't read the books yet (haven't a clue why. I have them, but anyhow), but I'll go by what I remember from the movies.
    It was a light weight electric Land Cruiser in the eighties, the older land cruiser was more the size of a large Station Wagon than an SUV, so it is fairly possible. and it doesn't pick it up with its arms lol, it picks it up in its jaws.

And I'm pretty sure that there WAS some sort of hill after the Rex fence, no cliff like in the movie, but it was at least a slight incline lol

Am I mistaken when the tour vehicles are Ford Explorers? I mean, even the logos can be seen if I am not mistaken.

[QUOTE=tope1983;557049
    or can anyone argue why 29 free roaming velociraptors can keep themselves unseen for months or even years?[/QUOTE]

Was is said there were that many in the book? I recall only a few (possibly 2 or 3, not including the baby from the beginning) from the first movie.
  • edited November 2011
    I was reading the T-Rex main road attack scene from the Novel, and it just dawned on me that the T-Rex fence was only 12 feet high, and was electrified cyclone fencing, more commonly known as chain link fencing.

Kinda puny when you compare it to the 20-30 foot high vertical wire fencing in the film haha

but I figured I'd share that , I guess I was wondering how many people caught that in the Novel.

have you also noticed that in the movie they dont see the raptors in the pen, but in the novel they do, the raptors literally scare the crap out of tim which i think that was hilarious, also, the baby raptor actually moved around, in the movie it didnt, they should remake the movies, so they follow the books:D
  • edited November 2011

its forearms are way too small and weak...
    its snout is way to small and weak...

unless it's not a toy car ;)

also on this one he didnt actually use her jaws to move the safari car, she used her snout and used all of her force to move it over the edge, i dont think you would see a t-rex lifting it with its own claws and jaws:D
  • edited November 2011
    Raymond D wrote: »
    Keep in mind I haven't read the books yet (haven't a clue why. I have them, but anyhow), but I'll go by what I remember from the movies.

Am I mistaken when the tour vehicles are Ford Explorers? I mean, even the logos can be seen if I am not mistaken.

No you are not mistaken if you are talking about the movie.
    But in the novel the tour vehicles were Toyota Land Cruisers.
    Was is said there were that many in the book? I recall only a few (possibly 2 or 3, not including the baby from the beginning) from the first movie.

Well if you didn't read the book already I don't want to spoil too much because it has a lot of very intense moments and twists. But yes in the novel the final number of Velociraptors on Isla Nublar was reveiled.

In the movie we only see the broken eggshells and the footprints in the sand. It's not stated by anyone but these were breeding raptors due to the form of the footprints.
  • edited November 2011
    The area where the t-rex breaks through the fence is between the two tour vehicles. The elevation there is the same level on both sides of the fence.

Where the big drop is, is ahead of the first car. It is not the same location as where the rex broke through. There is a steep incline or dropoff (perhaps an unfinished concrete moat) between the two areas within the rex paddock.

may I give you some visual explanation I already did in another thread here:

area during daylight (filmed on kauai, hawaii)
    trexpenday.jpg

t-rex breaks loose (filmed on stage at universal studios, hollywood)
    trexpennight0.jpg

the same location after the rain:
    trexpennight1.jpg

where ellie looks over the moat:
    trexpennight2.jpg

2D-plan overview:
    trexpaddockoverview.jpg
  • edited November 2011
    holy hi-resolution Batman!
  • edited November 2011
    holy hi-resolution Batman!

sorry, I didn't know how to resize it here in the forum.
    the pic made in archiCAD, that's why such a HUGE resolution was possible...
  • edited November 2011
    I always assumed that the tour vehicle got pushed into a moat. Hammond even mentions concrete moats.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.