TV Shows!

edited January 2008 in General Chat
What kind of TV shows is everyone into?

For me:

The Office (US): I've been into this show since the first season and I love it to death. I haven't seen alot of the 3rd season though. Not having cable and all...
LOST: I got into this last year by renting the entire first season on DVD and being blown away. The Ethan episode is still my favorite. I bought season 2 really cheap and haven't seen any season 3 episodes yet. I prefer watching them on DVD.
Scrubs: I recently got into this and find it hilarious even though some episodes can be better then others. I watch it late at night while at work so I've seen random episodes throughout the series.
South Park: recently got into this show too. I know... It can be hit and miss.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    at the moment:
    CSI: I don't like the New York spinoff and Miami is hit and miss, but the original series never fails to entertain me.
    Desperate Housewives: I'll watch any good comedy series (see below..), and having all the vindictiveness and intrige of a soap-opera parody makes this one especially interesting.
    Medium: A psychic detective, but with powers that aren't at all flashy and exagerrated and where more often than not they are only the beginning of the investigation. The DA is always quick to point out how little he can do with information obtained "in the usual manner", even in the rare cases where it is clear and specific.
    Top Gear: Plain hilarious even if you're not specifically crazy about cars (I know, 'cause I'm not).

past and generally speaking:
    Most any major non-dutch comedy: For at least the last decade or so I have a habit of spending some weekly quality time with my mom watching all kinds of comedy series. I think we've seen almost every internationally popular comedy series at some point.
    Alias: Crazy intrige and more over the top than some of the worst Bond movies. Loved every minute of it.
    Various cartoons: I have a bad habit of turning on such channels as Jetix and watching all kinds of things I'm too old for. No one series in particular, though.
    Various anime: You mostly have to get these through "other channels";). Some are very good; some, not so much..
  • edited May 2007
    The Wire.. the last season was the greatest season of television ever made :)
  • edited May 2007
    Just now...

Spaced! Brilliant, just brilliant.
    Lost Who doesn't?
    Scrubs Can be really really funny at its better parts
    and Kenny vs Spenny Two funny idiots competenig in wierd competitons, I love that show :)
    Oh, and I also follow House from time to time...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Yay Spaced! That's an awesome show.

Is it on in some capacity in the US yet? My British friends from Idle Thumbs and Mixnmojo pushed Spaced on me a couple years ago and I was verry happy for it, but haven't really seen it in the US, despite Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz being really well received.
  • edited May 2007
    At the moment, I only really watch Spooks (that's MI-5 for you North Americans) fanatically. I have a soft spot for British television, and this series is just top notch. It's about MI5, obviously, and although heavily dramatized of course, the drama is just great. Very strong characters played by awesome actors - in short, highly recommended!
  • edited May 2007
    All I really watch on TV now is Doctor Who. It's a bit hit and miss sometimes, but it's still a good show.
  • edited May 2007
    The Prisoner ~ So what if it was from the 60s? It was one of the best shows ever made and it would make a phenomenal adventure game.

Dead Like Me ~ Clever, dark, funny, and charming. It only made it two seasons, but it easily could have run longer...

Lost ~ I haven't gotten to watch last night's episode yet. That's okay, withdrawal symptoms are fun. Only three more hours until I can watch it.

Family Guy ~ "Peter: Lois, um, go get the medical dictionary and look up "fork" and "lung."
    Lois: Why?
    Peter: Time is a factor, Lois. "

Futurama ~ Great cartoon. Silly and serious. 'nuff said.
  • edited May 2007
    anyone here fans of "the IT crowd" ? father ted/black books
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Yay Spaced! That's an awesome show.

I've never seen it anywhere on US TV (but I do not get BBCAmerica so I don't know about that. These kinds of shows often end up on PBS too). I heard about it from SquareJaw and Doug and bought the Collectors edition disks with both seasons. It's awesome. :)
  • edited May 2007
    Does anyone think I'm crazy to suggest that Zach Braff would make an awesome Guybrush for a Monkey Island movie. He's got the voice and the personallity and if he died his hair it would be perfect.
  • edited May 2007
    Blarg, I hate TV. I really, really, really hate TV. And I hate cable and satellite too, because that's just TV with a pricetag on it. The only shows or channels I can stand are history channels, sci fi, discovery, and if there is a good movie on.
  • edited May 2007
    The only tv-series that I sticks to is CSI (Las Vegas). I like sci-fi, love Star Trek: TNG, heard about Battlestar Galactica and trying to find the first season DVD. I watch mostly Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, National Geographic and ESPN or StarSports for English's Permier League.
  • edited May 2007
    I don't watch TV.
  • edited May 2007
    Dexter! you gotta watch that
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2007
    The only show that I like that's currently on is Monk.
  • edited May 2007
    You may regret asking me this :)

Current TV I enjoy:

30 Rock <-- Current Favorite
    Scrubs
    My Name is Earl
    Good Eats <-- Like cooking, science, and puppets? This might be your show
    Andy Barker, P.I. <-- Better than I expected
    Boston Legal <-- Hit or miss fo me... William Shatner and James Spader are generally enjoyable though
    American Dad
    Family Guy
    Battlestar Galactica
    The Daily Show
    The Colbert Report
    Robot Chicken <-- Quality!
    Eureka <-- Had some writing and pacing issues, but seems to be improving
    Mythbusters
    Reno 911
    Everybody Hates Chris
    The Venture Brothers <-- Very awesome

Past shows I enjoyed, at one time:
    Arrested Development
    Dead Like Me
    Wonderfalls
    Firefly
    ... this list goes on for quite a while :)
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Alton rules!

Have you ever seen Ace of Cakes? I have fun watching that show. :)

This is his bakery.
  • edited May 2007
    Okay, i'll start my list
    My name is earl(uk so i'm on season 1)
    Futurama
    Family guy
    American dad
    Simpsons
    South park
    My family
    Have i got news for you
    and i'll stop before i make the post too big
  • edited May 2007
    "Dexter"
    "Lost"
    "South Park"
    "The Colbert Report"
    "Riget"(Danish mini-series later "remade" as "Kingdom Hospital")
    "Seinfeld"
    "Twin Peaks"
    "The Lost Room"(although a mini-series, I hope it will become a tv-series one day :D )
    "Prison Break"
    "Boston Legal"

And there are a few Norwegian comedy-shows I'll mention just to confuse those who can't speak the language:
    "Rikets Røst"
    "Uti Vår Hage"
    "Åpen Post"
    "Team Antonsen"
    "Tre brødre som ikke er brødre"

That should cover most of it. :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2007
    I forgot to add Spaced to my list :(

Also, I just watched series one of The IT Crowd today... great stuff (Plus some bonus Chris Morris as the boss). I'm a fan of Graham Linehan's shows in general, so it worked out :)

Apparently there's a US version coming next month, continuing NBC's recent Office-inspired trend of importing and reproducing shows. First The Office, then Thank God You're Here, and now apparently The IT Crowd. It does have the same guy as Moss though, which is a good sign.

I'm not really a fan of Thank God You're Here in either incarnation, though. It always seems like it'd be funnier if it were more improv and less a series of leading questions by the cast. "Oh Doctor! Wasn't there something you wanted to say to the patient?" Is less funny than letting the guest just improv for himself, I think.
  • edited May 2007
    That's why it'll never be as good as Who's Line Is It Anyway (either version). That show has me crying with laughter almost every episode.

(Speaking of crying with laughter, tonight's Family Guy had me busting a gut with the "following a fat guy around with a tuba" gag... Mark my words: I WILL recreate that some day)
  • edited May 2007
    hey, quiet... that episode hasn't aired here yet :p

And I agree about Whose Line, although the US version was slightly less good thanks to Drew Carey, who really isn't very funny when he joins in.
  • edited May 2007
    Oops, forgot about timezones... but worry not, my minor spoiler was cancelled out by your calling Drew Carey "not very funny", which is tantamount to calling Carrot Top "hilarious" :P
  • edited May 2007
    I said he wasn't very funny in Whose Line, not in general. I actually did like the drew carey show. I just don't think he's a good improv comedian.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Family Guy thing from tonight:
    They have the Peter Fighting the Chicken gag in there tonight. I've seen that in one other episode. Have they done it more than those two times? It's funny by the way! :D
  • edited May 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Family Guy thing from tonight:
    They have the Peter Fighting the Chicken gag in there tonight. I've seen that in one other episode. Have they done it more than those two times? It's funny by the way! :D

Yeah, it happens in one other episode, can't remember which one though.

tabacco: I know, I'm just giving ya a hard time :D
  • edited May 2007
    Arrested Development was friggen AWESOME!
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    I Agree, Too bad it was cancelled.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    I haven't seen the Simpsons in ages but they have the 400th ( :eek: ) episode on tonight and it's
    done a la 24
    . Quite clever. :)
  • edited May 2007
    Comedies:
    Seinfeld
    Arrested Development
    Scrubs
    Family Guy
    Simpsons
    Best Week Ever
    The Soup
    Everybody hates Chris

Dramas:
    Lost
    Alias
    House

Reality:
    Survivor
    The Amazing Race
    Ace of Cakes
    And looking forward to Pirate Master
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Unrelated, but how about The Amazing Race: Sam & Max Edition :D
  • edited May 2007
    Heroes <--current favorite
    The 4400 <--current favorite (can I have two?)
    Prison Break
    House (when I have a chance)
    The Office
    Simpsons
    Family Guy
    Arrested Development
    CSIs

Anime: (yes, I am that type of nerd)
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Darker Than Black
    Black Cat
    Elfen Lied
    FMA
    (the list goes on and on)
  • edited May 2007
    Heroes - absolutely favourite but it's just finished - looking forward to next season
    CSIs
    Jericho
    Simpsons
    My name is Earl
    Boston Legal
    House
    Iron Chef America
    Rove - Australian Show
    Law and Order
    The Soup
    Family Guy - but it's not on in NZ at the moment
  • edited May 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    anyone here fans of "the IT crowd" ? father ted/black books

Damn straight. Watched them when they first appeared a few years ago then bought the DVD's. I have a large collection of old British comedies on DVD because I don't often watch TV very much any more.

In fact, the only show I've watched recently was the BBC drama 'Life on Mars'. I'm now waiting for the latest season of Doctor Who to come out here (We get a lot of British shows here, but a few months later).

Oh, and of course I watch Little Britain whenever it's on because rerun or not, that's a damn funny show.
  • edited May 2007
    Ah yes, the IT Crowd. Very funny stuff. It screened in NZ without any warning so I missed the first few episodes. They showed on a channel that generally only shows stuff your Grandparents would watch but someone at work mentioned it one day and I started to watch. Unfortunately the season ended quite suddenly and I've not seen any more since.

Black Books is also a favourite of mine. Bernard is hilarious. I just watched Dylan Moran's Live DVD - he's a very funny man.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    I should probably watch the IT Crowd. I liked Big Train, and Father Ted and Black Books (two shows the IT Crowd guys were involved in previously) have been recommended to me a billion times... and also Christopher Morris is in it as a boss...
  • edited May 2007
    Yes watch the iT crowd.. the UK version of whose line is it anyway was awesome.. tony slattery was a genius...
  • edited May 2007
    I remain a huge fan of Ryan Stiles :)
  • edited May 2007
    Ryan Stiles is a genius, whenever he and Colin do the "music infomercial" skits I completely lose it. :D
  • edited May 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Ryan Stiles is a genius, whenever he and Colin do the "music infomercial" skits I completely lose it. :D

Do you know what sound an arctic tern makes?

(I can't actually remember what version of the show that one was, but it was my favorite one of those games)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.