Telltale Games employees found feeding perfect 10 reviews to Metacritic

edited December 2011 in Jurassic Park
????? another day another incoming shitstorm here we go again :(
http://www.gamespot.com/features/jurassic-park-user-reviews-abused-6346288/

Comments

• edited November 2011
    So? I don't see the big deal. The game is a perfect 10
  • edited November 2011
    Seriously? Come on, Telltale employees. You're better than this. Stuff like this has happened before with other games and studios and always ends badly. It causes people to view things extra critically and casts the game in a negative light. What a poor showing.
  • edited November 2011
    So your not allowed to rate your own work?

Freedom of speech. If anyone, they have the right to voice their own opinion of the game more so than anyone. It's THEIR work. They have a right to be proud of it.

And who wouldn't support their games?
  • edited November 2011
    They might have been TellTale employees that didn't work on the game and just played it.

And I f***in love that they immediately think something is fishy because they used complete sentences and good grammar. Ridiculous.

Also, Gamespot sucks. They have no idea what they're doing.
  • edited November 2011
    Uhh...I don't think the game could be anything but 10 / 10 anyway...
  • edited November 2011
    So your not allowed to rate your own work?

Free country. If anyone, they have the right to voice their own opinion of the game more so than anyone. It's THEIR work.

It´s like George Lucas (in a Roger Ebert disguise) reviewing phantom menace I think thats the correct way of describing it.
    And metacritic is a site that many view as important to the industry.

Sorry Telltale but after playing through JP my feelings is that I liked it (for nostalgic reasons) but a 10/10 game it is not.
  • edited November 2011
    I still don't see why it's a big deal. So what they gave it a ten out of ten. In the end a review is nothing but an opinon that is being share with others. Take Greg Miller from ign for example, he gave the a game a 5.5. Is he right? The truth is, there's no way to tell. Because it's just an opinion.

I think the game is an 8.5.

Someone might say it's a 7 or a 4. It's all just opinion based. So why does it matter since everyone can form their own.... oh wait.
  • edited November 2011
    I still don't see why it's a big deal. So what they gave it a ten out of ten. In the end a review is nothing but an opinon that is being share with others. Take Greg Miller from ign for example, he gave the a game a 5.5. Is he right? The truth is, there's no way to tell. Because it's just an opinion.

I think the game is an 8.5.

Someone might say it's a 7 or a 4. It's all just opinion based. So why does it matter since everyone can form their own.... oh wait.

Everybody has a right to an opinion including telltale employees,but that fact that they did not reveal that they were employees. They reviewed the game before anyone else gave it a 10/10 and on metacritic no less.

Bioware did that on Dragon Age 2 and the shitstorm that followed was huge
  • edited November 2011
    WARP10CK wrote: »
    It´s like George Lucas (in a Roger Ebert disguise) reviewing phantom menace I think thats the correct way of describing it.
    And metacritic is a site that many view as important to the industry.

Sorry Telltale but after playing through JP my feelings is that I liked it (for nostalgic reasons) but a 10/10 game it is not.

I agree reviewing your own game is a dick move.
  • edited November 2011
    WARP10CK wrote: »
    Everybody has a right to an opinion including telltale employees,but that fact that they did not reveal that they were employees. They reviewed the game before anyone else is a little suspect and on metacritic no less.

The thing is I don't think them being TellTale employees is relevant. Having them putting a 10 out of 10 under a user review is no diffrent then the fan boys/girls who give their favorite series a 10 out of 10. In the end, it's just going to get lost in the masses anyway.
  • edited November 2011
    I agree that they should have stated that they worked on the game when reviewing it, but gamespot is just overreacting. A few people who worked on the game reviewed it giving it perfect scores. Players reviewing games are just opinions, sure its from someone who worked on making the game so their opinion is probably biased but is it any different than someone who hates adventure games and gets on there to rant on how much it sucks giving it a 1?

Its not as if telltale created hundreds of accounts and spammed the site with hundreds of perfect reviews. That would be cause for getting this upset over it.
  • edited November 2011
    Game reviews as a whole are just one big corrupt commercial. Developers will pay sites to write good reviews, withhold bad reviews until the game comes out so it won't have as a big an impact on sales, and yes, sometimes even write the reviews themselves. Hell, the reviewers can play dirty without being told to. Giving a bad review to a big hyped-up game is guaranteed web traffic. Hell, I'm amazed that Gamespot, the site that fired a reviewer for giving a bad review to the game that was plastering the site with ads at the time, is calling Telltale out on this.

I'm not saying it's OK for Telltale employees to write fake reviews, I'm just trying to give a little perspective. Besides, it seems like these were just regular (and fairly new) employees. If it was someone higher-up the complaints would be better warranted.

Also, good grammar means the review must be fake? Really?
  • edited November 2011
    Game reviews as a whole are just one big corrupt commercial. Developers will pay sites to write good reviews, withhold bad reviews until the game comes out so it won't have as a big an impact on sales, and yes, sometimes even write the reviews themselves. Hell, the reviewers can play dirty without being told to. Giving a bad review to a big hyped-up game is guaranteed web traffic. Hell, I'm amazed that Gamespot, the site that fired a reviewer for giving a bad review to the game that was plastering the site with ads at the time, is calling Telltale out on this.

I'm not saying it's OK for Telltale employees to write fake reviews, I'm just trying to give a little perspective. Besides, it seems like these were just regular (and fairly new) employees. If it was someone higher-up the complaints would be better warranted.

Also, good grammar means the review must be fake? Really?

I see what you're saying, but using an example you can relate to. Wouldn't you feel like a dick if you wrote a review for your own book without saying you wrote it, even if you were fairly new to it?
  • edited November 2011
    Yeahhh..... I'm giving the game a 6, and that's pretty generous.

WAYYYY too much focus on frustrating QTE's in this game. While I was playing I found myself wishing I could just put the game on Autoplay and just watch the cinematics. There were just way too many "Try and predict which arrow button you'll need to press in this three-step quick time event sequence" moments. Inevitably I would end up dying three or four times until I could memorize the 2 or 3 individual QTE's required to pass before I can spawn again. I found myself swearing at this game so much these past two days.

I just can't agree with anyone who gives this game a 10. I paid $30 for this game and it just wasn't worth it.
  • edited November 2011
    I see what you're saying, but using an example you can relate to. Wouldn't you feel like a dick if you wrote a review for your own book without saying you wrote it, even if you were fairly new to it?

Not if it brought more attention to my writing. You don't know what being an unknown writer is like. ;)

But seriously, I wasn't trying to justify what happened. Ideally, developers would never meddle with reviews. I'm just saying that because it's so common it's not fair to single out Telltale specifically.
  • edited November 2011
    This just seems... unwise.
  • edited November 2011
    i give the game a fair 7/10, if they added that i can move my guy around and made it a few extra hours longer (maybe add a extra 2 hours to each part of the game) im sure my score would def go to a 8.5/10, would i buy the game if they made another one? i sure would and if they make it like this one i think 40$ is a little high maybe drop it to 30$
  • edited November 2011
    Bad spelling was the cause of suspicion... that's just sad on so many levels.:)

Anyhoo, I don't really care, I've already played the game and I liked it. After that, TellTale coud even bribe the Queen of England to give it a good review, it's their business.

Moreover, JP4 is coming!!! And let's hope that we'll get some new games as well.:D
  • edited November 2011
    in nowadays internet language I would call this an

EPIC FAIL
  • edited November 2011
    With all due respect, the people saying that they will never buy Telltale games because of employee reviews and "because Telltale wrecked that guy's Jeep" are complete idiots.
    I've only played the first 2 episodes but I'm actually enjoying the game for its story and its feel.

The people who posted that stuff on Gamespot and Metacritic are just losers living in their parents' basement taking every opportunity to jump on the bandwagon to dish out negative criticism.
  • edited November 2011
    Are you kidding guys? A developer just dont review his own work, especially on a site where people go to make a buying decision, and especially when its not perfectly clear that the maker is advertisng his own game with a "review". Its just something you dont do, and when other studios does it, that doesnt mean its ok. That was just a very bad and unwise move telltale.

I bet if EA did something like this the shitstorm here would be huge, but when telltale does it its just freedom of speech? Yeah, very unbiased...
  • edited November 2011
    Is it just me, or is anyone else saddened that we live in a world where proper punctuation, grammar, and spelling are considered suspicious? That is pretty pathetic.
  • edited November 2011
    MasCot wrote: »
    Bad spelling was the cause of suspicion.
    It could also mean the game is for people with brains.
  • edited November 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    Are you kidding guys? A developer just dont review his own work, especially on a site where people go to make a buying decision, and especially when its not perfectly clear that the maker is advertisng his own game with a "review". Its just something you dont do, and when other studios does it, that doesnt mean its ok. That was just a very bad and unwise move telltale.

I bet if EA did something like this the shitstorm here would be huge, but when telltale does it its just freedom of speech? Yeah, very unbiased...

As much as I love Telltale, I have to agree with this. I've seen developers do this in the past and I've always disliked it, so to see it happen again with a company I really love is just saddening. I haven't played Jurassic Park and thus don't have an opinion on the game, sure, but that doesn't change anything. User reviews are just that, reviews by the users, and as ridiculous as they often are, trying to influence them by pretending to be an average reader is just a poor business practice.

I hate to see Telltale getting all this bad press, I really do, but I can't say they don't deserve a negative reaction this time around.
  • edited November 2011
    What's worse now is that the game is being swamped with 0/10 reviews. No matter what you think of the employees' conduct, the game doesn't deserve to be buried like that.
  • edited November 2011
    well, I'm glad I never use that site. It's one thing to plant reviews, it's another to be vindictive about it. I know when I read reviews, I read more than one...and I tend to ignore reviews under 3/10 or above 9/10 anyway just because it's either hatred or fanboys. Even if the planting of the reviews is true, it wouldn't really affect much in the long run(no, I don't condone it either). *shrugs* oh well.
  • edited November 2011
    i said it earlier and I don't know why people haven't thought of this. Isn't it just plain possible that the TellTale employees that did that were ones that didn't work on Jurassic Park and just played it?!
  • edited November 2011
    i said it earlier and I don't know why people haven't thought of this. Isn't it just plain possible that the TellTale employees that did that were ones that didn't work on Jurassic Park and just played it?!

It's still considered biased since they would be more inclined to say good things about a game from there company.
  • edited November 2011
    Johro wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is anyone else saddened that we live in a world where proper punctuation, grammar, and spelling are considered suspicious? That is pretty pathetic.

Indeed. If that's the case, I'm the most suspicious person alive. :D

Ahem. On one hand: yes, of course, Telltale employees (and anyone else who works in the game industry) are allowed to have opinions about their work, or their company's work. It's pretty naive to assume they wouldn't.

The trouble comes when they post them on a review site like Metacritic without identifying themselves as employees or someone affiliated with the company that made the game. We've seen before with stuff like the DA2/Bioware incident that this sort of thing is Just Not Done™ in the games industry. You don't meddle in user reviews.

("Official" critical reviews, however, are A-OK. Just ask Gamespot and the Kane & Lynch devs. :rolleyes: )

If this is the case of new employees, or maybe employees who didn't work on JP but played the game and liked it, just voicing their opinion then I feel sorry for the backlash they're getting, but...this sort of thing still strikes me as inappropriate on some level, if only for the bias involved and the connotations "review stacking" has already gotten on Metacritic.
  • edited November 2011
    Tycho from Penny Arcade always has a knack for words for tough situations:
    Telltale Games, I want you to listen to me very closely. No. No, no, no. Never no never, ever. Maximum no. Never, ever do this. The Internet is too big, and too fast for you to get away with it. I want you to understand that it is bullshit, and I know it’s bullshit, that you aren’t allowed to have a public opinion on your work. I once received a four out of ten from Edge Magazine; I am no stranger to impotent rage. I understand that this state of affairs abrogates your fundamental humanity and that it is deeply, incredibly unfair. People like to think that little whirring modrons are making these things, and that having a perspective on your work’s reception is somehow gauche. It doesn’t matter. You can never, ever, ever give them the satisfaction. The next time you want to post an “anonymous” message, I want you to picture a resolute Soviet submarine commander standing firm as the water rises to claim him. Draw on his strength.
  • edited November 2011
    What's worse now is that the game is being swamped with 0/10 reviews. No matter what you think of the employees' conduct, the game doesn't deserve to be buried like that.

Well I personally would give the game a 7/10 because I had some issues with it.

But all in all I had fun playing through it and I felt the nostalgia all the way through.

So I had fun but with all respect to telltale there is still quite a few flaws that I think should have been adressed and in a game like this, a multiple way of solving things would have been interesting.

And increased the replay value but instead no matter what you do it seems to lead down the same path, and I believe if they borrowed a little more from heavy rain with the multiple choices, I think this would have gotten better reviews.
  • edited November 2011
    I became aware of this situation through Penny Arcade. I think Tycho makes a sad, yet true, viewpoint. I support developers having views and opinions of their own games. However when people see user reviews, they expect that they come from an unbiased consumer. It's really unfair as even politicians can vote for themselves. I can see how people can see it as a deceiving tactic if you don't announce that you worked on the game. I agree that the developer blog would be ideal for this. I enjoy reading what developers thought of a game they made (although it is usually comparing it to an upcoming sequel).

While it is also sad (for humanity) that the good grammar made the posts suspicious, I think it was also the fact that they all gave the game a 10, (which is rarely given out by the more critical, unbiased reviewers) on a game that has had mixed reviews so far.
  • edited November 2011
    Highly unethical. And, really... I like the game, but was it legitimately a 10-score in their eyes?
  • edited November 2011
    Telltale, I'm disappointed in you.
  • edited November 2011
    Lol
  • edited November 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Tycho from Penny Arcade always has a knack for words for tough situations:

I wonder if this hurts the chances of another At the Inventory game? :p
  • edited November 2011
    HooblaDGN wrote: »
    Highly unethical. And, really... I like the game, but was it legitimately a 10-score in their eyes?

Thats the world of user reviews, where people tend to rate either 0 or 10 in order to bring the average up or down.

Someone might get on and say "hey i really liked this game though it had some issues, ill give it an 8/10" then notice others who have logged on and maybe said "i hate adventure games, this game sucks 0/10" so the guy who liked it pushes his to a 10 to try to bring the average higher.

It doesnt even have to be that, a reviewer might just be thinking "hey i really liked this game 10/10" based off of nothing more than he liked it.

people really need to not put so much stock into user or even critic reviews. its unlikely your going to find many completely unbiased / uninfluenced reviews and in the end the only one you can really trust on how much youll enjoy a game is yourself.
  • edited November 2011
    That's unfortunate, hopefully the TTG reviews can be removed and those 0 ratings slamming TTG.

I have no issue with TTG employees, contractors or whatever wanting to review but they should clearly mark it so the reader can judge it based on that.

And yes, the reviews being flagged for being well written is dreadful.
  • edited November 2011
    Poor form. :(
  • edited November 2011
    I feel very weird about this. On one hand, yeah, I'm disappointed in those Telltale employees. But at the same time, I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill with this. I feel very conflicted.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.