Season 1 Disc Information!

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    The downloadable versions will also be updated to be in sync with the versions on the DVD and the Retail release. It'll all be the same.

I figured that.

Everybody wins.
  • edited May 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    I really think you guys should stop now. This is passing over to mockery.

I don't think anyone meant any malice by it, just some friendly ribbing. :)
  • edited May 2007
    I certainly don't mean to be hostile, don't take me seriously anyone :D
  • edited May 2007
    We'd be very happy if people took advantage of that moment to also pick up some more products from our store in one order, so barring unforseen tech-explosions, count on being able to bundle some other stuff with your season set order.

:D Perfect! Sam & Max merchandise for me! Can hardly wait!
  • edited May 2007
    That's a great marketing trick ;)

One that I will most definately take advantage of :D
  • edited May 2007
    Well, like it or not i don't see a real benefit in a CD check and it feels like a bad solution because:

a) It might give you the impression of a copy protection whilst there is none. The only one who might benefit from it, is the company which sells the product if you don't implement one on your own.
    b) Those who pirate, copy no matter if there is such a mechanism beeing involved.
    c) For the others it's easy and common to use no cd-patches since years. It's only annoying extra work you have to do on top where you ask yourself "Why does it has to be this way?!".
    d) I would prefer a personalised serial with which i can unlock my content or a goodie protection. If it's personalised people could be afraid of giving away their serial because of that their name might show up somwhere, so it's kind of a stopper for those.
    e) I find it a strange relationship that i'm treated like a non trusted person out of the box. I trusted you, you don't trust me.
    f) ... *time out*

It's nice that the online content gets updated too. I dunno if this works on different computers but this would enable you to download the game also if your somewhere else. On the other side i still don't see this as a proper solution for the DVD as when i buy the DVD i already have this content here. So why should i download all those files again? All this redundant work just for avoiding the DVD-check? Come on...i feel like i got myself into another episode of Culture Shock...
  • edited May 2007
    We'd be very happy if people took advantage of that moment to also pick up some more products from our store in one order, so barring unforseen tech-explosions, count on being able to bundle some other stuff with your season set order.

More S&M-merchandise, eh? *makes room for more stuff on my Sam & Max-altar*

Excellent. ;) The Season One Disc is beautiful, TT. I finished the last episode last night, and was amazed. I've always said that the Gabriel Knight-games are my favorite games, but I think I can add the first Sam & Max-season as well. I think you've outdone Hit The Road, and that deserves a whole lot of credit.

So excuse me, I'm just gonna go cry my eyes out because I'm gonna have to wait so long for another episode. :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2007
    I see the information page has been changed.. why is that? Well it basically says the same thing only it's not in a list like before.
  • edited May 2007
    Sam and Max ran out of ammunition, so they took the list bullets.
  • edited May 2007
    Haggis wrote: »
    Sam and Max ran out of ammunition, so they took the list bullets.
    Har har
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    Well, like it or not i don't see a real benefit in a CD check and it feels like a bad solution because:

a) It might give you the impression of a copy protection whilst there is none. The only one who might benefit from it, is the company which sells the product if you don't implement one on your own.
    b) Those who pirate, copy no matter if there is such a mechanism beeing involved.
    c) For the others it's easy and common to use no cd-patches since years. It's only annoying extra work you have to do on top where you ask yourself "Why does it has to be this way?!".
    d) I would prefer a personalised serial with which i can unlock my content or a goodie protection. If it's personalised people could be afraid of giving away their serial because of that their name might show up somwhere, so it's kind of a stopper for those.
    e) I find it a strange relationship that i'm treated like a non trusted person out of the box. I trusted you, you don't trust me.
    f) ... *time out*

It's nice that the online content gets updated too. I dunno if this works on different computers but this would enable you to download the game also if your somewhere else. On the other side i still don't see this as a proper solution for the DVD as when i buy the DVD i already have this content here. So why should i download all those files again? All this redundant work just for avoiding the DVD-check? Come on...i feel like i got myself into another episode of Culture Shock...

Hey taumel,

Seriously, thanks for letting us know what you think about the way we're doing the Season One disc. We're not going to change course on this particular product, because it's already almost done and out the door, but if anything hopefully the fact that we're doing it differently from our past products shows you that we're constantly looking for new ways to solve our problems. I know you're posting in hopes that your voice will be heard and your concerns addressed, so please trust me (before you repeat yourself in a slightly reformatted version of the same numbered list another time ;) ), we do listen to this stuff, and we're (possibly criminally) addicted to working towards a better customer experience, and improving on what we've got.

Maybe the way we chose for this product isn't 100% ideal to everyone (for instance, yoruself :)), but we're always looking to improve and this is one step along the way.

The idea of a single serial number or unified login to unlock a Telltale product you own regardless of format or location you install it is something we've thought about a lot, and is the type of extremely user-friendly, un-hostile solution we'd like to eventually permanently provide sometime down the line. We simply don't have the resources to build a system like that in time for this disc release, so for now we went with what is nearly the industry standard: a CD check.

Hopefully a CD check doesn't personally offend you to the point that you don't keep coming back, because if you leave you'll be missing out :) But for now: your comments are duly noted. Thanks!
    edited May 2007
    Armakuni wrote: »
    I see the information page has been changed.. why is that? Well it basically says the same thing only it's not in a list like before.

Just made a few revisions to the text. One of the many mysteries of advertising copywriting and editing, I'm afraid.
  • edited May 2007
    Ahahahah ahahahahah the mockery ... oh man... I wish I was so lazy!

anyhoo

Yay Jake... yay replies! Yay cd checks! I'm soooo excited about my shiny shiny dvd soon to be available and in my grubby mits oh yes... mwahahahah
  • edited May 2007
    I can see his point about the CD checks actually.. I wasn't serious with all those comments before, I was just having a little fun coming up with silly stuff.. sorry if you took any offence, none was meant! :)

However, personally I think a CD check is far better than authentication for the reasons I've given before in this thread. And I know there are quite a few people who aren't too happy about authentication.

I think the way they're doing it now is brilliant - this gives both the people who prefer CD checks and the people who prefer authentication what they want. The authentication and DVD versions will be identical and even if you have to redownload the authentication versions (if the DVD versions are improved and the online ones are changed to mirror that), I'm sure you wouldn't be so selfish as to try to deny people who prefer CD checks this version only because you have to redownload the games?
  • edited May 2007
    Somewhere, on some Swedish server, I found 3 episodes of S&M, with patches to strip them from their registration check. It really made me feel mad, as you don't deserve to be ripped (unlike some multi billion software company near Seattle - I don't mind half the world copying their OS). You may have spotted that yourself too, TTG.

Anyhow, what did feel a tiny bit comforting is that they never got past the 3 episodes; maybe the protection scheme has changed with ep. 4? In that case, way to go! as they probably haven't cracked that one. Or are hackers not interested in a good adventure game and lost interest? Booh!

Bottom line - well, there isn't one. But I'm happy with the way things are: I paid my 6 episodes (seperately!) and will pay for shipping and handling for my DVD, courtesy of some nice people at Tell Tale Games, and don't mind either copy protection, be it an online check or cd (dvd!) check. You won't hear me complaining!
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, I'd much prefer a CD check over authentication. It seems like my Activation Key for Culture Shock expires every time I play it. If it means that I can play the game with no hassle, I'd be more than willing to submit to the occasional CD check.
  • edited May 2007
    barchetta wrote: »
    Somewhere, on some Swedish server, I found 3 episodes of S&M, with patches to strip them from their registration check. It really made me feel mad, as you don't deserve to be ripped (unlike some multi billion software company near Seattle - I don't mind half the world copying their OS). You may have spotted that yourself too, TTG.

Anyhow, what did feel a tiny bit comforting is that they never got past the 3 episodes; maybe the protection scheme has changed with ep. 4? In that case, way to go! as they probably haven't cracked that one. Or are hackers not interested in a good adventure game and lost interest? Booh!

Bottom line - well, there isn't one. But I'm happy with the way things are: I paid my 6 episodes (seperately!) and will pay for shipping and handling for my DVD, courtesy of some nice people at Tell Tale Games, and don't mind either copy protection, be it an online check or cd (dvd!) check. You won't hear me complaining!

I was really happy to see that hackers gave up after Episode 3. It probably forced alot of people to buy the last 3 episodes :D
  • edited May 2007
    I think it's mainly because it's not really a huge title yet.. if this series was as popular as say.. Half Life, then I'm sure they would all be cracked by now.
    But it's a great thing they aren't! I really hope Telltale will get as much money as they can out of this series.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Somewhere, on some Swedish server, I found 3 episodes of S&M, with patches to strip them from their registration check. It really made me feel mad, as you don't deserve to be ripped (unlike some multi billion software company near Seattle - I don't mind half the world copying their OS).

I've never gotten this logic.

1. What if Telltale became a multi billion dollar company. Would it then be OK to start ripping their stuff off?

2. That company (that you don't care if it gets ripped off) has become a faceless entity to many people. But remember that regardless of the size of the company, real human beings work there. They aren't all making millions of dollars in salary and are trying to make a living, take care of themselves and their families. Enough ripping off happens and while the big boys may survive, the little guy/gal who works there may get screwed.

You gotten to know the people behind Telltale which has changed the way you think about things. Perhaps if you were to get to know some of the people who worked at that other big company, you may not be so willing to rip them off.

/soapbox
  • edited May 2007

Oh, very well. I did want to buy something else sometime anyway, and I think you guys deserve some profit for not merely puting the six episodes on a vanilla DVD with nothing special. :) I think I'll get that Max's Skull & Bones shirt and the poster print (To be framed later.) when I request the DVD.
  • edited May 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    I've never gotten this logic.

1. What if Telltale became a multi billion dollar company. Would it then be OK to start ripping their stuff off?

For me, it matters more what kind of policy and actions the company has taken in the past. I don't think in theory that it is ok to rip anybody off, but I have to say that if a company has been unethical in the past(or are unethical now), I would've felt less guilty for using something from them without paying. I have read and experienced both first and second hand so many horrible and bad stories about this nameless company and other big companies which I don't care to namedrop, that I have decided to stay away from buying their products. But if I still need their products(like, it's the only product which does what I need it to do) then there really ain't no other option except either "ripping the company off" as you guys put it, or buying something from the company with the knowledge that these money might be used for something ethically horrible and awful. A third option is to get a used copy/new copy from somebody else you know(and thus not giving the money to the company), or buy it used from somebody, but this is something which is getting harder and harder, because of hardware fingerprints and such trying to force you not to activate a product too many times. That's of course another discussion, do you ever own a copy of Windows for example, when you can only activate it a number of time before you have to call around to open it up again(something which may be impossible someday)? But that's another very long discussion, so I'll stay away from it.

It kind of feels the same as buying a pair of pants you know comes from a factory that performs child labor, or buying food from a company you know exploit the farmers in asia who makes the food. It really is easy to get stuck between a rock and a hard place, where you either have to select to not get your job done, or where you have to do something illegal to get the stuff done. Even though there might be individuals in the unethical company that I decide to boycot, that loose their jobs, I have to first consider what ethical values the company are representing before buying something. Because after all, companies no longer sell products, they sell brands. It's why it's so important to get possitive representations attached to your brand.

But of course, just because a company is small doesn't mean it's ethical or unethical, so I really believe in considering each company by itself, without considering how much money they earn. A sad fact is though, that many companies have a tendency to become power crazy when they become big and earn enough money to buy practically anybody who can gain their cause. This is a sad thing, and is why the world needs good corruption laws, units who can investigate companies etc...
  • edited May 2007
    While I mostly agree with that, by the same logic I could say the PS3 is ridiculously overpriced, which is an unethical way to squeeze extra money from consumers, therefore I could steal a PS3 without worrying about having ripped Sony (and it's innocent individual employees) out of 600 bucks, since the money they would have gotten could have been used for building more overpriced hardware.

Or I could steal a GTA game, since it's unethical to make games involving racial stereotypes and murder sprees, and Rockstar could make more GTA sequels with the money they would have recieved.

(side note: I actually love GTA, but it was the first software related analogy I could think of :p)
  • edited May 2007
    I only resort to piracy when it is appropriate. As of recent? I will admittingly say that I had to do some pirating in order to get my hands on some publically broadcasted copyrighted media that SHOULD have been made available to the public in an archival manner, but was not for whatever reasons those may be.

I love my VHS/DVR combo unit.:D
  • edited May 2007
    @Jake

I'm glad that you wrote this as i already felt like Sisyphus...

If you would be EA driven for instance i would never have tried to come up with this at all but as you're really looking like that you're trying to improve and making things right, i felt like don't miss the chance to tell them.

And nope i don't feel offended...yet... :O)
  • edited May 2007
    I think we can all agree copy protection is a pain and we can debate how useful it really is.
    I respect that you prefer on-line authentication but surely you can see the danger of this approach in the long run?

Anyway, Telltale is giving us both options here so there is really nothing to complain about except perhaps having to redownload some stuff which is really no big deal.
  • edited May 2007

Bottom line - well, there isn't one. But I'm happy with the way things are: I paid my 6 episodes (separately!) and will pay for shipping and handling for my DVD, courtesy of some nice people at Tell Tale Games, and don't mind either copy protection, be it an online check or cd (dvd!) check. You won't hear me complaining!

Your post made me curious. I checked that certain Swedish site and found that the later episodes have been made available. Sadly, I doubt anything can stop them. Every game ends up there eventually.
    It makes me wonder how cheap people can get by not paying for at least one episode. I'd understand if there were no demos available but when there are, its ridiculous.
  • edited May 2007
    OnCallDoc wrote: »
    I'd understand if there were no demos available but when there are, its ridiculous.

See, that right there is the killing factor. TTG's "Demos" are actually the full game. They are just locked by a code after a certain point in the game.

If TTG did what LA did with their demos and only release the files needed for whatever part of the game you are playing as a demo, chances are we wouldn't see a crack like this.

We'd end up seeing much worse, actually.
  • edited May 2007
    looking forward to getting the disk..
  • edited May 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    See, that right there is the killing factor. TTG's "Demos" are actually the full game. They are just locked by a code after a certain point in the game.

If TTG did what LA did with their demos and only release the files needed for whatever part of the game you are playing as a demo, chances are we wouldn't see a crack like this.

We'd end up seeing much worse, actually.

In a traditional sense, the game hasn't been released yet. Usually the games are first cracked by the heavy duty cracking groups when they are released on DVDs and CDs. That's the only reason why not all episodes are cracked yet. If you look at the cracking groups, it's mostly small time cracking groups which nobody has heard of before. Anyway, good job on cracking them. They have spent a lot of hardworked hours on breaking those protections, and an important aspect when I bought the season was that I expected the episodes to be cracked before the season is over. The reason for that was because I don't want to depend on an online activation, and at the time TTG hadn't decided what kind of protection there would be on the final DVD/CD. For me, my user rights are very important, so this is always something I consider before buying a game. Sometimes I even will look for an illegal copy online just to find out if the game has a crack yet, so I won't have to struggle with some copy protection that gives me problems after I bought the game.

True, they might have been able to prevent it being cracked if they had only released a small part as a "demo", but this would remove the ability to activate a product without having an internet connection among other things. One could also argue that if they had made it so you had to be connected all the time to a server while playing the game, you would have practically nil illegal copies, but this would limit the availability of the product in other ways. Anyway, like I said before, I'm glad there are cracks released, because they protect my rights to copy my games, I just don't want them to be released just 3 days or a week after the game is out(like what happend with the first, second and third episode).
  • edited May 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    One could also argue that if they had made it so you had to be connected all the time to a server while playing the game, you would have practically nil illegal copies

Half Life 2 requires a connection to Steam, but there are many ways to circumvent that, at the cost of not being able to use mods. They've really thought of everything, unfortunately. (or fortunately, if your one of the many pissed-off people who hate having to rely on Steam to play a game they bought)
  • edited May 2007
    Ah fantastic news ! (i ve been very busy lately, didn't see the DVD news :) )

I just have one hope, it doesn't tell me "Please remove any DVD emulation software" or something like that instead of launching the game. I do amateur DVD authoring for a video association and my best friend is the DVD emulator to play my master images.

Whatever, even if i cannot play using the DVD, i ll still be able to watch the extras and have the box sit on my shelf and that's what counts. Thanks for the hard work to please your S&M-fans-customers, much appreciated :P
  • edited May 2007
    Really happy with this and i must own it. :D :D :D

This is a question i've been wondering for a while but not to worried about... is there any plans for how the six episodes will be displayed. Will it be that you play as chapters? will you be able to choose which episode you want to play straight from the start? will it play as one game with no credits inbetween (most unlikely) :)

just wondering out of curiousity :cool:
  • edited May 2007
    Um, the fact that the disc is a DVD caught me off guard. I don't have a DVD-ROM drive. I have a DVD player that I could use to view all the nice video content, but as for the games... Well, I have a laptop with a DVD-ROM drive, but it doesn't run the games nearly as well as my desktop and I have to play with graphics set to low quality, which is a bummer.

Please tell me I'm not out of luck here. I subscribed way back before episode 1 partially with the idea of eventually getting the whole deal on a disc.
  • edited May 2007
    @tim333: according to http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc you can e-mail them at info@telltalegames.com and they will do their best to find some other solution :)
  • edited May 2007
    ....like a dirt smeered cd-r in a paper sleeve! hahaha

Jk,
  • edited May 2007
    Sorry for not reading all the posts, but when is the disk going to be released?
    I haven't both any of the episodes until now, only played the demos, since I was waiting for the disk. So when will it be released?
  • edited May 2007
    @diego_pmc
    Check out the page below for details. They say they are aiming for mid-June.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax-season1-disc

@everyone else
    I am concerned that so much focus is being put on the disc check and not on the fact that
    there is a picture of the Grow a Pirate on the DVD page. Someone mentioned it, but no one else commented upon it afterwards. Am I the only one who is worried that TTG might have included on the DVD several days of lackluster Grow A Pirate webcam footage?
  • edited May 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    I am concerned that so much focus is being put on the disc check and not on the fact that
    there is a picture of the Grow a Pirate on the DVD page. Someone mentioned it, but no one else commented upon it afterwards. Am I the only one who is worried that TTG might have included on the DVD several days of lackluster Grow A Pirate webcam footage?
    I've noticed, but why would that be a cause for worry? I'm sure that
    that footage won't be high-quality enough to take up a lot of diskspace. If nothing else it can't be because the recorded footage was never high-quality to begin with, the resolution being barely over half a megapixel and the framerate actually being less than 1. So it can hardly take up much more space than an hour or two of youtube-quality video.
    edited May 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    @everyone else

You got us, the disc is in fact nothing but
    grow a pirate
    . It used up the whole disc, in fact, so we had to cut all the other content.
  • edited May 2007
    * Many hours of unique video material directly from Telltales office?

Wow, I can't wait! :D

(my sense of humour seems even weirder that usual... Interesting...)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.