TWD: Disconnects on download - HELP!!!

edited September 2012 in Game Support
I am having dramas downloading from within the mac version, I see others are having this too across a number of threads and also with the PC version.

I have downloaded Episode 2 from within the game 3 times, each time I have got to 73%, 68% and the most recent 64% before it disconnects.

As it is not isolated and I haven't got this problem with other files external to the game (such as the v3 update) please help in checking why this may be occurring.

Frustrated!!!!

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2012
    It could just be a heavy load on the server at this time. Try again a little later tonight.
  • edited June 2012
    Seriously - this just happened again at 69%, anyone, any thoughts, Telltale employees (who have probably gone home for the weekend now), anyone? Really starting to become annoying.
  • edited June 2012
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    It could just be a heavy load on the server at this time. Try again a little later tonight.

Could be right puzzlebox, I'll give it a go later, super frustrated
  • edited June 2012
    Same with me. Tried 5 times now and it stalls at 68%. Very frustrating!
  • edited June 2012
    says its unavailable to download at this time in menu? how do I fix this
  • edited June 2012
    Yup, happened twice at 80% for me. I'm giving up for the night and trying it again tomorrow.
  • edited June 2012
    If this is server load, I find it strange that it consistently happens at 79-80%...but hey, i'm no tech-wizard.

Companies that offer DL content should at least give status reports to their customers using that service, ie. "servers are busy. please try again later" or "we are having difficulties are are working to fix them". Other companies at least try to give that service.

Come on Telltale, get into the service-"game"...
  • edited June 2012
    I've had it now, 8 times today, and at least the last 4 have happened at 68%. Would really love to be able to download this game, but I'm off to bed.
  • edited June 2012
    Having the same problem on my Mac. I get to 87% and it gives me the disconnect error every time.

Just to rule out my Mac as the culprit I installed the game on my wife's PC Laptop... same results, download gets to between 86 and 87% and errors out.

This is kind of frustrating. First when I got the game it was unavailable and I had to download a copy through Steam (which I don't use). Then in order to download the new episode I had to completely re-download and reinstall the game on my Mac. Now I can't even download the second episode, which for some reason is a second download after the first re-download, due to some other error.

If this game's rollout continues like this I may just stop trying to play it. My desire to play the game is quickly being overcome by my frustration just trying to "get" the game. Its really, really annoying and doesn't instill a level of confidence in the game or the developer.
  • edited June 2012
    Lost count how often I tried today. Never got higher than 27%. Giving up for now. I really wish Telltale wasn't so bush-league on a technical level.
  • edited June 2012
    I have exactly the same problem. Failed twice on 87%
  • edited June 2012
    For those who preordered the game from Telltale and got a free Steam copy due to the initial release delay: THE STEAM COPY SELF UPDATES TO CHAPTER TWO JUST FINE.

If you have the steam copy, switch to it as it works and is valid for both Mac and PC.

To Telltale: STICK TO ESTABLISHED DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS LIKE STEAM. Your "in house" distro solution sucks.
  • edited June 2012
    Can't get past 80%-ish on my Mac either. Pretty annoying.

Why I don't get, though, is why they didn't just put the content of Ep. 2 with that 500+ MB update we had to download anyway. Seems like it'd have been much simpler that way.
  • edited June 2012
    Lanfranc wrote: »
    Can't get past 80%-ish on my Mac either. Pretty annoying.

Why I don't get, though, is why they didn't just put the content of Ep. 2 with that 500+ MB update we had to download anyway. Seems like it'd have been much simpler that way.

Lanfranc, please don't apply logic to this situation :)

My first attempt today and I got to 77% before it punted me. And tried again and got to 27% before I got a different issue telling me I must have an Internet connection, guess what I'm using it right now!

Really disappointed, frustrated and really peeved that it has come to this.
  • edited June 2012
    Lanfranc, please don't apply logic to this situation :)

Sorry – noted. ;)

Although since the 500MB download went fine (at least for me), I guess it might not be a server problem at all. Maybe rather a bug in the game's updater software? Could take a while to fix.
  • edited June 2012
    No I don't reckon its a server load issue at all, but its not appearing to affect those in the USA, or those on Steam, for some reason the internal game download doesn't like foreigners.....
  • edited June 2012
    JsARCLIGHT wrote: »
    For those who preordered the game from Telltale and got a free Steam copy due to the initial release delay: THE STEAM COPY SELF UPDATES TO CHAPTER TWO JUST FINE.

If you have the steam copy, switch to it as it works and is valid for both Mac and PC.

To Telltale: STICK TO ESTABLISHED DISTRIBUTION SYSTEMS LIKE STEAM. Your "in house" distro solution sucks.

Tried that. Steam made the download. Everything seemed fine. Only one problem: Episode 2 simply WON'T START. Black f'n screen after 15-20 minutes the black screen crashes. That's all. And I'm not the only one with that problem, either.

24 hours later and the download on Telltale still stops at 27% every single time.

Dear people at Telltale:
    This level of ineptitude is an embarrassment. When Telltale goes under - which it will - your employees will have a hard time finding jobs elsewhere, because your company obviously fosters an environment of half-assing, laziness and antagonizing the customers.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I have got a similar problem so I hope I am on the right forum.

I have completed all three parts of episode 1.

When I click to continue on any of the episodes the screen plays the scene at Traveliers Lodge.

I then click to preceed to episode 2 and then comes on the credits every time!

Checking further I find that there is a data base error.

Bought the game from Steam and never had any previous problem.

So I am going to delete the game and reload and start again.

Hoping for the best.

Any other ideas anyone?
  • edited June 2012
    Wow seems I'm not the only one with that problem.

Dearest Telltale,
    if you rely on digital distribution for your Games it is kind of a nobrainer to make sure said distribution network actually works. I have no idea who programmed that mess but having no resume funtionality so that we need to start from scratch each time the connection gets reset is ridiculous!

50 lashes I say!
    wtf-photos-videos-cat-tails.jpg

No go skedaddle and get this sorted...

:mad:
  • edited June 2012
    cromerman wrote: »
    Any other ideas anyone?

You could also verify the game cache integrity to check if the update has been installed properly (although that's superfluous if you're reinstalling the whole game).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
  • edited June 2012
    Hi again,

Further to above I deleted the game. Reloaded it and got the same results and ended up in credits.

I might give up 'like the girl from uptairs'

The only other thing I can think of is to delete the local content and start all over again.

I will certainly reconsider future purchases from Steam!
  • edited June 2012
    I really don't understand why the episode 2 is not just another update we can download directly from the website. i mean, I've downloaded the 500 Mo update pretty quick and had no problem installing it. While in-game, the download is extremely slow for me (and it just crashed btw...).

That said, the fact that the "update" is in fact an already-updated version and not a real updating program suggests some bad programming skills (at least on the Mac side), and explains why we have to download the episode within the game.

I still don't understand how Telltale can have, on one hand, acquired so giant licences like BTTF, JP and TWD, and on the other hand seems to have technologies so limited financially and/or technically.
  • edited July 2012
    Ansin wrote: »
    Tried that. Steam made the download. Everything seemed fine. Only one problem: Episode 2 simply WON'T START. Black f'n screen after 15-20 minutes the black screen crashes. That's all. And I'm not the only one with that problem, either.

24 hours later and the download on Telltale still stops at 27% every single time.

Dear people at Telltale:
    This level of ineptitude is an embarrassment. When Telltale goes under - which it will - your employees will have a hard time finding jobs elsewhere, because your company obviously fosters an environment of half-assing, laziness and antagonizing the customers.

Mine works perfectly fine... and I tested it on both my Mac Mini and my wife's PC laptop... but that could be because I uninstalled my Mac Telltale copy then completely reinstalled Steam and my Steam copy. I had to replay episode 1 but everything seems to be working.

And my wife's laptop never had Steam installed so it was a fresh install there as well. I just started episode two with the random decision thing and it started right up.

I'm playing episode two this morning on Steam on my Mac Mini and have not seen any glitches so far. But one thing I did notice is that the graphics are superior on my wife's PC laptop. The shadows on my Mac Mini are all blocky and terrible looking and the animation stutters from time to time, but on my wife's seemingly equal powered PC laptop the graphics are smooth, the shadows are smooth and everything just looks all around... well... "better".
  • edited July 2012
    My 2 cents, Still being faced with annoying disconnection issues whilst downloading on my mac. I wish TT had a separate link on their webpage to download episode 2 so that I can download it at a faster rate than downloading it in game which is simply just at snail pace.
  • edited July 2012
    Still having the same problem. I want a refund.
  • edited July 2012
    Still occurring tonight in Australia, and its now 1:43am in California.....and again it stops at 68%....it's be funny if it weren't so frustrating
  • edited July 2012
    Same problem here in Italy... it always stops at 60%...
  • edited July 2012
    This is a disaster! Several days has gone since release, many many threads about this problem and NO sound from Telltale Games... Is this a f*cking joke? We have payed for this game hence should be able to play it!
  • edited July 2012
    It seems that every Mac user has the same problem with downloading episode 2...
    This thread covers the same problem:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30725

It's frustrating to say the least. We all want to know what happens in episode 2 and the internet is already filling up with spoilers.
  • DPBDPB
    edited July 2012
    I'm getting frequent disconnections too. It wouldn't be so bad if it would pick up where it left off, but every time I retry the download it starts from an earlier point. Reached 28%, resumed at 14%. Reached 42%, resumed at 28%. Reached 62%, resumed at 48%. Hopefully it'll get past this cycle eventually, but I'm still spending far more time downloading than I'd like, and wasting bandwidth.

This is the PC version.
  • edited July 2012
    This is a disaster! Several days has gone since release, many many threads about this problem and NO sound from Telltale Games... Is this a f*cking joke? We have payed for this game hence should be able to play it!

Telltale clearly doesn't value its customers. I'll never buy anything from them again.

I just want my refund. I've already emailed them about it and heard NOTHING and it's been nearly a week.
  • edited July 2012
    I agree this is horrible I still can not download the game from my games link on telltales site ..... I just want to be able to play ep 2. looking around on the forums all the spoilers have been seen and I got a email tonight from TT stating the game is out and ep 3 will be out in mid august BUT it said nothing that I recall about the issues we mac people are facing.... I am saddened by the fact that I still can't play my game...
  • edited July 2012
    I've tried 5 times on my Mac and then I get some snotty message about needing to get a good Internet connection. My Internet connection is FINE Telltale, but your system is not.

I don't have the steam copy that someone mentioned....

So - has anyone spoken with Telltale about this issue? It appears they are not reading the forum.
  • edited July 2012
    I've tried 5 times on my Mac and then I get some snotty message about needing to get a good Internet connection. My Internet connection is FINE Telltale, but your system is not.

I don't have the steam copy that someone mentioned....

So - has anyone spoken with Telltale about this issue? It appears they are not reading the forum.

I have sent numerous messages. Someone posted a response saying they were working on a fix but had no time table for when that would be available.
  • edited July 2012
    First and foremost we want to thank everyone for their patience with regard to the launch of episode two of The Walking Dead. As you may know, it arrived later than anticipated and this has been a cause of frustration for everyone.

Our goal from day one has been to deliver your game episodes as quickly as possible, and where we can, simultaneously across all platforms and regions. We've been working closely with our phenomenally supportive partners to try to make this a reality. We will continue to work on this and furthermore, we will strive to improve our communication with you so that you know what’s happening. Please rest assured that we are doing all we can to get your game episodes to you as quickly as possible.

For many of you, the most important thing is to let you know when the next episode (Episode 3: Long Road Ahead) will be available, and although we can't give you an exact date at this time, we can say that episode three will be ready in the middle of August, and that we and our partners will do all that we can to release all platforms and regions as close together as possible.

The response to episode two has been overwhelmingly positive and we can't say enough about how much we appreciate everyone enjoying what we are creating. We’re truly humbled by your continuing support.

We look forward to your feedback on episode two and can’t wait for you to play episode three!.

Thanks for our patience, well you are testing it. You are testing it indeed.

Delivery simultaneously across all platforms hey?? Except mac, I imagine you meant to say!!!

Episode 3.....some of us wouldn't mind being able to play episode 2....

Okay then Telltale, my feedback on Episode 2....well how would I know, I can't play it.

Patience.....gone!!!
  • edited July 2012
    I am so happy to report that if you connect to the strongest signal that is possible for you it will actually download!!!!!!! I have succeeded in getting ep 2 to work!!!!!
  • edited July 2012
    AppleWorm wrote: »
    I am so happy to report that if you connect to the strongest signal that is possible for you it will actually download!!!!!!! I have succeeded in getting ep 2 to work!!!!!

What do you mean by "strongest signal"? My ISP always give me the same signal, and I can't choose any other... Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you, but I don't understand what you mean.

Besides the in-app downloader seems to download at a rate far (really really far) inferior to my usual download rate, so I don't see how having a stronger signal can change anything. You might just have been lucky here.
    Anyway, it's time for a new try.
  • edited July 2012
    PC Player here having this same problem. Download stops at 13% every time. When I try again, 13% flashes quickly, but then it starts from 1% again. It gets to 13%, error message, yadda yadda yadda.

TellTale, please tell us what you know about this issue soon. If it isn't resolved, I might have to ask for a code for the Xbox version because this whole PC thing is not working out :p

Besides this problem, though, thank you for an amazing game. Please provide us with some feedback ASAP!
  • edited July 2012
    DarthKaal wrote: »
    I really don't understand why the episode 2 is not just another update we can download directly from the website. i mean, I've downloaded the 500 Mo update pretty quick and had no problem installing it. While in-game, the download is extremely slow for me (and it just crashed btw...).

That said, the fact that the "update" is in fact an already-updated version and not a real updating program suggests some bad programming skills (at least on the Mac side), and explains why we have to download the episode within the game.

I still don't understand how Telltale can have, on one hand, acquired so giant licences like BTTF, JP and TWD, and on the other hand seems to have technologies so limited financially and/or technically.

They clearly spend all their time and resources pitching concepts for licensing deals then cheap out on the end product and customer service. All too common a problem in this day and age.

Oh and they won't grant me a refund because my purchase is over 2 months old... I guess thats the reward I get for per-ordering a faulty product that wasn't released until 2 months after it was supposed to be.
  • edited July 2012
    I also have this problem. It needs to be fixed. Is it the same on steam?
This discussion has been closed.