IPs you'd like to see in adventure gaming

ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
edited July 2007 in General Chat
This is probably a repeat thread, but what the hey.

Homestarrunner
The guys behind Homstarrunner have their own lineup of humorous games, including their own sierra-esque adventure title Peasants Quest. But i'd like to see an adventure game involving the actual cast of Homestarrunner.com, perhaps with Strongbad, Strongsad and Homestar as playable characters. The casual, non-vital dialog might be worth the price of admission.

Calvin & Hobbes
Between summer + winter activities, school, and the power of Calvin's imagination, this would make one hell of an adventure game if created with respect. Just imagine the character animation retaining the expressiveness and motion of the original art. Too bad Bill Waterson would never allow it.

Anything referencing the late Zdzisław Beksiński's work in the overall art style
While a style isn't an IP, just look at this man's insane genius: http://bsd.miki.eu.org/gallery/Beksinski?page=1
I'd be both thrilled and scared to play an adventure game looking like that.

So what intellectual properties would you like to see in a point & click adventure? Or designers for that matter?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    The vividness of Calvin's imagination would make for a pretty interesting adventure game. For some reason, thinking about the possibilities brings Psychonauts to mind.

Other adventure games I'd like to see mostly come from movies and such that I've enjoyed.
    Hunt for Red October, perhaps? ATHF or SeaLab 2021?
  • edited July 2007
    *glee*
  • edited July 2007
    TICKDVDSET00.jpg
  • edited July 2007
    the tick would be great.. rocko's modern life..
  • edited July 2007
    The tick is great. I'm not sure how well it could be made into an adventure game but I'm sure telltale could figure it out. I think....
    Oh and by the way Season Two comes out August 7th I believe... (Anoher beautiful cover)
    619NeqQ3wkL._AA240_.jpg
  • edited July 2007
    Ender's game.

Actually, it'd make for more of an action/adventure/genre-defying-thing, but...
  • edited July 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Ender's game.

Actually, it'd make for more of an action/adventure/genre-defying-thing, but...

The movie is still "coming soon"... with OSC writing the first draft of the screenplay, at least...
  • edited July 2007
    Yeah, I was actually thinking about the possibilities of games in accordance to this interview with Card.

In which, among other things, I learned he wrote the insults for the Secret of Monkey Island. :D
  • edited July 2007
    Blade Runner and The Dark Crystal.
  • edited July 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Blade Runner and The Dark Crystal.
    Blade Runner!
  • edited July 2007
    Yes, I have that- brilliant game. From another thread here's my reasoning for wanting new Blade Runner episodic adventures;
    jp-30 wrote: »
    If this waffle license doesn't pan out... how about

Blade Runner

There's a crapload of activity around the movie in the next couple of years.

The previous Westwood adventure game shows that there's potential outside of Deckard's character, and even playing as Deckard in a time before the movie is set would be possible.

I know it's yet another 'law enforcement' type game, but rather different to both CSI & Sam & Max. Also lends itself to episodic content with a new case for the Blade Runner each episode, and an overall arc, perhaps leading into the events immediately preceding the movie.

And you have that Westwood game's fanbase to market to, as well as the huge cult following of the movie. A demo packed in as DVD bonus content would reach a lot of people (I believe certain multiplater FPS Star Wars games by a company you may be familiar with have used their regular DVD releases to get their game demos into many houses, creating their biggest selling games ever).

Anyway, something to think about if the waffles don't work out.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    Re: Blade Runner.
    This has amazing potential, and since the license was never owned by Westwood (The game was developed through a partnership), there is a possibility to acquire the rights.

In addition to all the mayhem happening in the city, previous cases and the revolt that led to banishing replicants, there is more based on the original novel in which Blade Runner is based: "Do droids dream of electric sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick.

Since TT has a "darker-side" (the CSI games, as opposed to the other games that are more family-friendly), making Blade Runner games is not that far-fetched.

Re: Rocko's modern life
    That would be something. A surreal, wacky world will be fun. Now, I'm off to Conglom-O to buy some stuff.
  • edited July 2007
    Okay there would be quite some books i could imagine a lot of fun playing as an adventure game (Jack Vance could be great for this due to his wonderful characters, worlds and dialogues, Piers Anthony also had some intesive books and and...) but i also would be fine with something completely new. As for comics there are quite some good ones around which could be fun to play as a game.

Anyway i would like to see some work from Lewis Trondheim (Lapinot, Donjon, ...). I love his comics as they touch me, bring me to laugh and also involve some daily weirdness. It should work out pretty well, at least here in europe. Is he known in USA?

Hmm but now i would be really upset if i wouldn't be involved in the project then! ;O)
  • edited July 2007
    I'd like to put in another vote for Rocko's Modern Life. It's insanely quotable, it tackles social issues like no other series, and it has immensely enjoyable characters.
  • edited July 2007
    Shauntron wrote: »
    Homestarrunner
    The guys behind Homstarrunner have their own lineup of humorous games, including their own sierra-esque adventure title Peasants Quest. But i'd like to see an adventure game involving the actual cast of Homestarrunner.com, perhaps with Strongbad, Strongsad and Homestar as playable characters. The casual, non-vital dialog might be worth the price of admission.
    Someone's making a H*R RPG game for the Atari 2600...
  • edited July 2007
    Someone mentioned Rocko's Modern Life...which gets me thinking about Courage the Cowardly Dog, which always oozed style and had that "anything can happen" universe which lends itself to creative adventure\puzzle-solving scenarios.
  • edited July 2007
    Yes, I think Courage would be very suitable for adventure games as well - great characters, with Eustace and Muriel, the evil geese and those eggplants. In fact, you can play a Flash adventure with him here.
  • edited July 2007
    Shockwave, not Flash...
  • edited July 2007
    Telltale Offices: The Game!
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    Derwin wrote: »

Experience One Day at Telltale's Office!
    Tagline: Do you have what it takes to make a blockbuster game?

Features:
    Buy licenses or create your own
    Hire/Manage/Fire Staff and Interns
    Design and build games (no debugging or programming knowledge required)
    Organise contests, buy or manufacture merchandise!and sell it!
    Interact with your favorite Telltale resident geniuses.
    Experience an inmersive 3D environment, witty dialogs and state of the art AI.
  • edited July 2007
    Wow, thanks for fleshing out my idea. Sadly, it appears working at TTG isn't as fun sounding as I hoped it would be. At least I will be able to fire interns.
  • edited July 2007
    Well, you occassionally get fan gifts? :/
  • edited July 2007
    I would love to see Harry Potter made into a decent adventure title, none of this action platforming crap that they keep making. Admittedly, all I can think of when imagining such a game is the first Discworld game with slightly modified sprites, but that's mostly just because it's late here and I'm not thinking straight.
  • edited July 2007
    How about GTA the point and click adventure?
    Well okay, maybe that wouldn't work.
  • edited July 2007
    Simpsons, Family guy.
    If done right they could be decent adventure games.
    Soprano's adventure game :p
    Goonies
    Reboot ( a whole series of reality 2.0)
    Regenesis (Does anyone watch this show?)
  • edited July 2007
    I think a lot of licensed games should be Adventure Games but aren't.

... Can't think of any right now, though.
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Experience One Day at Telltale's Office!
    Tagline: Do you have what it takes to make a blockbuster game?

Features:
    Buy licenses or create your own
    Hire/Manage/Fire Staff and Interns
    Design and build games (no debugging or programming knowledge required)
    Organise contests, buy or manufacture merchandise!and sell it!
    Interact with your favorite Telltale resident geniuses.
    Experience an inmersive 3D environment, witty dialogs and state of the art AI.

What if you play as the intern?
  • edited July 2007
    Alucard wrote: »
    Regenesis (Does anyone watch this show?)

Just worked my way through the first three seasons in quick succession. Damn, it's an addictive show, even if somewhat uneven in terms of the overall plot arc.

Didn't they have some sort of game on their website?

I'd suspect a ReGenesis game would be something like the CSI games, after all, I've been describing the show to friends as "CSI - but in a Biology lab rather than a Forensics lab"
  • edited July 2007
    Squinky wrote: »
    Then you have to suck up to your seniors, bringing them coffee and doughnuts every morning, commenting how lovely they look. Also, you'd have to do grocery shopping, which could be done through a car chase sequence like in Sam & Max.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm surprised there isn't a Mario graphic adventure yet, especially seeing as he's been in nearly every other genre possible.
  • jmmjmm
    edited July 2007
    Well, there was a RPG...
  • edited July 2007
    There were a few RPGs =P.

Super Mario RPG
    Paper Mario
    Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
    Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
    Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

I've been playing them all on and off lately (barring Partners in Time, which I finished a few months ago and traded in).
  • edited July 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    There were a few RPGs =P.

Super Mario RPG
    Paper Mario
    Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
    Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
    Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

I've been playing them all on and off lately (barring Partners in Time, which I finished a few months ago and traded in).

I was trilled one day then I saw someone who sold "Mario and Luigi: Partners in Crime", sadly it was just misspelled. That would have been an awsome name.

And off to licenses...
    I belive The Hitchhikkers Guide to the Galaxy could be translated into a series of cool adventure games, if done right and in true spirit of the radio show. (yeah, I played the text adventure)

And another one for Rocko's Modern Life, great show.

I once thought about the awsomeness that would became if someone made a adventure game based on the character of Herman Hedning (herman heathen), but since then I found out that it was a comic made only in sweden, so now I doubt that will ever happen.
    EDIT: Here's a translated comic page for your viewing pleasure :).
  • edited July 2007
    fajerkaos wrote: »
    I was trilled one day then I saw someone who sold "Mario and Luigi: Partners in Crime", sadly it was just misspelled. That would have been an awsome name.

He's been in every genre, and sadly, Hotel Mario was made too. The object of the game? Close the Hotel doors to win against Bowser. WTF?
    fajerkaos wrote: »
    And off to licenses...
    I belive The Hitchhikkers Guide to the Galaxy could be translated into a series of cool adventure games, if done right and in true spirit of the radio show. (yeah, I played the text adventure)

And another one for Rocko's Modern Life, great show.

HHGTTG would be a brilliant 3D game. Worked well enough in text!

And yes! ROCKO would make for a BRILLIANT 2D to 3D transition! Hell, even just 2D would work! Just look at the Duckman toon and 2D game!
  • edited July 2007
    Well, like I have said earlier this year.

Veronica Mars
    Veronica Mars is a critically-acclaimed teen drama/mystery neo-noir series. The show starred Kristen Bell as the title character: a student, progressing from high school to college during the series, who moonlights as a private investigator under the wing of her detective father. Said to be "a little bit Buffy and a little bit Bogart", the show balanced murder mystery, high school and college drama, and social commentary with sarcasm and off-beat humor.
    Would be really nice seeing the show got cancelled :/
    Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veronica_mars

Cold Case
    Cold Case is about a police division that specializes in investigating unsolved crimes. The show is set in the city of Philadelphia. Each episode begins with a flashback scene informing viewers of the featured year it takes place. A set of characters are revealed in a seemingly mundane situation. The viewer is then shown the corpse of the victim as he/she was found. It is always one of the people introduced in the previous seemingly-innocent scene.

The show then flashes to the present day. The detectives of the Homicide Division of the Philadelphia Police Department are told that new evidence has turned up in an old case gone cold in several cases.
    This one is a little CSI-type game to it. Just working with Cold cases.
    Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Case
  • edited July 2007
    Has anyone looked into licensing Tex Murphy? Not only are the creators free agents now, but I think they have control of the license, and the desperate desire to bring it back.

It's one of the greatest adventure game series of all time. Has anyone approached Chris or Aaron about this?
  • edited July 2007
    Alucard wrote: »
    Simpsons, Family guy.
    If done right they could be decent adventure games.

I concur. The best Beavis and Butthead games were the point and click ones. Although, I have only played the first one, I read that both had gotten good scores by reviewers.
  • edited July 2007
    Squinky wrote: »

or how about playing as an obsessed Telltale (or a parody of) fan who at one point, ends up making the company shutting down but then brings it back (sort of like that Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa indirectly shuts down the studio that makes Itchy and Scratchy cartoons.
  • edited July 2007
    I'd play Telltale Offices: The Game! If it also included being able to decide who gets locked in the closet, who wears the Sam & Max suit, and who gets to work until after midnight.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.