Sam and Max: Hit the Road

edited August 2007 in Sam & Max
Does Sam and Max: Hit the Road work on Vista if I have ScummVM installed?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    it should do i have full throttle (cd version) and beneath a steel sky working fine on vista ultimate

i just copied the entire cd into a folder as scummvm doesn't always agree with cd copies
  • edited August 2007
    Good, good, thanks. :)
  • edited August 2007
    Does that version of Sam & Max have enhanced music and not the midi stuff?
    I first played the game on a mac years and years ago and it had a sticker on the box saying it was an "Enhanced Mac version" which I never got what was enhanced about it, until years later when I booted up a pc version of the game and realized the music wasn't as full sounding as I remembered. After downloading the soundtrack to the game online and listening to the mp3's they were the of the quality I remembered.
    I would love to get a version of Sam & Max for the PC that has the full music but I have no idea if they even exsist.
  • edited August 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I first played the game on a mac years and years ago and it had a sticker on the box saying it was an "Enhanced Mac version" which I never got what was enhanced about it, until years later when I booted up a pc version of the game and realized the music wasn't as full sounding as I remembered. After downloading the soundtrack to the game online and listening to the mp3's they were the of the quality I remembered.
    I would love to get a version of Sam & Max for the PC that has the full music but I have no idea if they even exsist.

Oh wow, I don't know. I haven't actually ordered the item yet, so if anyone knows...? :)
  • edited August 2007
    I don't think any version of Hit the Road ever had live music. I'm guessing you were just hearing the difference between MIDI synthesizers on the two computers.
  • edited August 2007
    It wasn't live music, but it was alot better quality.
    It's a pretty big difference if you listen to the music from here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/smax.htm compared to the music in the game
  • edited August 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    I don't think any version of Hit the Road ever had live music. I'm guessing you were just hearing the difference between MIDI synthesizers on the two computers.

Shame. :(

Is everyone sure this'll run on Vista Home Premium? I ran CMI this morning and I couldn't interact with anything and the game froze for like 2 seconds after every speech. :(
  • edited August 2007
    hit the road is cheaper on play.com than amazon by around a fiver and the postage is free and fairly efficient

for CMI were you running it through the latest version of scummvm
  • edited August 2007
    patters wrote: »
    hit the road is cheaper on play.com than amazon by around a fiver and the postage is free and fairly efficient

Nice find patters, cheers. I'll take a look at their terms of service and stuff (never ordered from them).
  • edited August 2007
    they are quite good i often use them to order cd's and there is an edit to my last post
  • edited August 2007

for CMI were you running it through the latest version of scummvm

Yep, I updated to the latest version just before I installed CMI.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007

The Mac version didn't have "enhanced music" other than it used some low fi instrument samples for the MIDI instead of just the bleeps and tones that a SoundBlaster could do on the PC using fm synth. If you use ScummVM on a Mac, you can get an approximation of the old Mac version's music by setting ScummVM's audio driver to "CoreAudio," which will use the QuickTime Musical Instruments midi sample set instead of bleeps and tones, which are similar to the instruments the old Mac version shipped with.

The real reason the Mac version was labeled as "Enhanced" was because it ran at 640x400 with a graphics smoothing routine, instead of 320x200 blocky pixels. ScummVM can approximate that smoothing routine as well, on any platform, if you set the graphics mode to AdvMAME2x.
  • edited August 2007
    are you playing of of the disc or have you copied all the files to the harddrive

if not try the other way
  • edited August 2007
    On a side note:

I just found this on youtube and wasn't sure if it was posted or not. Some dude re-created the intro to Hit The Road in 3D using the same audio. Pretty amusing to watch:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-HOkajWaY
  • edited August 2007
    are you playing of of the disc or have you copied all the files to the harddrive

if not try the other way

I've installed the game, but I am playing it off the disc because I don't know how to get ScummVM to play from the files... :o
  • edited August 2007
    1 insert disc
    2 right click appropriate disc icon in computer
    3 copy
    4 paste in an appropriate place
    5 open scummvm
    6 add game
    7 select the file you used
    8 click choose
  • edited August 2007
    Alright, I'll try that out tomorrow. :)
  • edited August 2007
    it worked for full throttle so i assume it will work for CMI

i haven't played any MI other than the original on my uncles old pc
  • edited August 2007
    Shame. :(

Is everyone sure this'll run on Vista Home Premium? I ran CMI this morning and I couldn't interact with anything and the game froze for like 2 seconds after every speech. :(

I could run Sam & Max just fine in SCUMMVM.
  • edited August 2007
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    I could run Sam & Max just fine in SCUMMVM.

On Vista?
  • edited August 2007
    On Vista?

Yes.
  • edited August 2007
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    Yes.

Alrighty, thanks. I'll order it as soon as I can. :)
  • edited August 2007
    I've run SMHTR on both XP and OSX on my Dell laptop using ScummVM and I have to say - the OSX version sounds much richer. I think it has more reverb or something. Anyway, it uses some QuickTime doohickey that really works. Gotta love those Mac's (and Dell's :rolleyes:)
  • edited August 2007
    I have now ordered Hit the Road from Play.com! :)
  • edited August 2007
    I have now ordered Hit the Road from Play.com! :)

hope you enjoy it im thinking of buying it again
    barchetta wrote: »
    Gotta love those Mac's (and Dell's )

haha i have a Philips Laptop (got it for the geforce inside (beats any intel chip) and vista ultimate for under £650 including a bag)
  • edited August 2007
    hope you enjoy it im thinking of buying it again

haha i have a Philips Laptop (got it for the geforce inside (beats any intel chip) and vista ultimate for under £650 including a bag)

I'll let you know what I think of it when I've finished it. :)
  • edited August 2007
    did you manage to get CMI running Guybrush Threepwood
  • edited August 2007
    did you manage to get CMI running Guybrush Threepwood

I haven't tried yet, but I will get round to it and report back. :)
  • edited August 2007
    I hate to double post, but I've now got the game and I'm going to start playing it now. :) It works perfectly fine on Vista (without the need of ScummVM!), which is great.
  • edited August 2007
    I hate to double post, but I've now got the game and I'm going to start playing it now. :) It works perfectly fine on Vista (without the need of ScummVM!), which is great.

glad you like it i guess they made it work for xp which in turn makes it vista compatible

i am planning on getting it again when i have some money (needed to buy several gig tickets)
  • edited August 2007
    glad you like it i guess they made it work for xp which in turn makes it vista compatible

i am planning on getting it again when i have some money (needed to buy several gig tickets)

Actually, they made it Vista compatible! In the readme it actually says where to find the save games in Windows Vista, so I guess that means they made it work for it (either that or it already did work and they just added that into the readme). :)

I don't want the game spoilt for me as I want to be able to go through it all myself and figure everything out (more rewarding that way), but how do the binoculars work in the ball of yarn tower? I can't seem to get them to slow down, and I don't know how to get off them either! My cursor is no-where to be seen....!
    Remember, please don't tell me what they have to do with the puzzle, just how I operate them-- thanks! :D

Nevermind! I realised I had to do something to get them working. :) On with the game!
  • edited August 2007
    In regards to the music, the CD version of the game did have audio tracks on it that contained enhanced versions of a few songs from the game. At the time I assumed they were live instruments, although in retrospect they may have been just high-quality synths. Except for Conroy Bumpus's voice, of course.

Also, to be technical, it's "Sam & Max Hit the Road", not "Sam & Max: Hit the Road".
  • edited August 2007
    Oh you!
  • edited August 2007
    i ordered my new copy of HTR as its vista compatible just out of curiosity which version of vista are you running guybrush (space not underscore)
  • edited August 2007
    It wasn't live music, but it was alot better quality.
    It's a pretty big difference if you listen to the music from here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/smax.htm compared to the music in the game

I don't really hear any difference to my old PC version....
  • edited August 2007
    i ordered my new copy of HTR as its vista compatible just out of curiosity which version of vista are you running guybrush (space not underscore)

Home Premium. :)
  • edited August 2007
    Home Premium. :)

so it should run perfectly in ultimate (essentially home premium with business came with my laptop so im not worried)
  • edited August 2007
    so it should run perfectly in ultimate (essentially home premium with business came with my laptop so im not worried)

Yeah, it'll run exactly the same. :)
  • edited August 2007
    Bruno83 wrote: »
    I don't really hear any difference to my old PC version....

Then a version with better sound does exist! What version do you have? Is it the one with the dvd case?
  • edited August 2007
    no, I've got a very old version....
    It's been the second game I've ever bought for the PC I think.
    I think it was somewhen in 1995 or 96.
    I've just noticed, that the music in your link is slightly better.
    I just didn't notice it, when I hadn't compared it directly to the game, which I hadn't played for quite a while now.
    I just played it again to compare the music, and yes, the quality in your link is better.
    But it dosen't really buck while playing the game.

Now that I have just started htr, I'll have to play to the end again:D:D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.