Games you'd like to see Telltale make

2»

Comments

• edited September 2007
    I'd quite like to see what someone (sorry, can't remember who it was) mentioned in another thread - Asterix and Obelix! They're comic book characters, so they'd fight right in. :)

img57-1.gif

Every time a game is made about these two I hope desperately it will be good, even though I know the game is going to turn out to be crap.
  • edited September 2007
    Oh, the things I would do for an Asterix game made by Telltale... I only ever played a Gameboy game (loosely) based on the comics, and it sucked, sadly. But an adventure game? I'm all for it! I even have one of those 'choose your own adventure' books of Asterix (this one), and it is, quite simply, amazing. These comics would make superb adventure games.
  • edited September 2007
    yeah but, the companies almost don't even know they exist, and since they came form Lucas arts..not a good track recored... yes maybe point and click are refreshing but your are a very small percentage who likes this stuff hardcore

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, I'm not really very clear on what you're trying to say, but are you trying to say that because people don't know who Telltale are, they should make FPSs to boost their popularity?

That's exactly the sort of thing I was trying to go against with the LucasArts comment. LucasArts made adventure games, really good ones, but then thought "Oops, we're catering to a minority here, and not getting as much money as we could be if we made Star Wars games only from here on out".

There's plenty of companies making FPSs, a handful of them even good ones (like Timesplitters for instance, just to show I'm not completely anti-FPS) but it seems to me that Telltale are actually in it for the fans, and that they're big fans of the Adventure genre themselves, rather than a company who exists solely to push out something under a disproportionately popular genre to make a quick buck.

EDIT @ Pvt.Public: I saw an Asterix and Obelix game the other day with the characters on the cover dressed as Sonic, Mario, Pacman and Lara Croft. I then proceeded to die a little inside.
  • edited September 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here, I'm not really very clear on what you're trying to say, but are you trying to say that because people don't know who Telltale are, they should make FPSs to boost their popularity?

That's exactly the sort of thing I was trying to go against with the LucasArts comment. LucasArts made adventure games, really good ones, but then thought "Oops, we're catering to a minority here, and not getting as much money as we could be if we made Star Wars games only from here on out".

There's plenty of companies making FPSs, a handful of them even good ones (like Timesplitters for instance, just to show I'm not completely anti-FPS) but it seems to me that Telltale are actually in it for the fans, and that they're big fans of the Adventure genre themselves, rather than a company who exists solely to push out something under a disproportionately popular genre to make a quick buck.

EDIT @ Pvt.Public: I saw an Asterix and Obelix game the other day with the characters on the cover dressed as Sonic, Mario, Pacman and Lara Croft. I then proceeded to die a little inside.

that is all true, but what i meant by the track record, was lucas arts made really buggy games when they started their PC market, and it reflect bad for the company(trust i know this, cuz i had a class study on it) but by making at leats one popular title that every likes, you`ll get a higher chance of getting noticed..meaning bigger budge and higher quality games, i know this company`s only focus is to make games that they wanna see and some other poeple will like, but it can only go so far
  • edited September 2007
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'd've thought the majority of people would have no idea that Telltale is made mostly from ex-LA staff, but even then I can't see how LucasArts making buggy PC games has anything to do with Telltale.

As for the last point, Adventure Games may only go so far, but Telltale must be making profits to be able to work on another series of Sam and Max. The thing is, making one "popular title that every [one] likes" is easier said than done.
    What would happen if Telltale moved away from 'Adventure Games for the modestly powered PC' for one game, and instead made an 'Action Packed, guns blazing, gore aplenty, PCs which cost under £7000 shouldn't even try to run this' game, which is the sort of thing you seem to want, judging by most of your posts?

Moreso, what'd happen if it flopped?
  • edited September 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    I can't speak for everyone, but I'd've thought the majority of people would have no idea that Telltale is made mostly from ex-LA staff, but even then I can't see how LucasArts making buggy PC games has anything to do with Telltale.

As for the last point, Adventure Games may only go so far, but Telltale must be making profits to be able to work on another series of Sam and Max. The thing is, making one "popular title that every [one] likes" is easier said than done.
    What would happen if Telltale moved away from 'Adventure Games for the modestly powered PC' for one game, and instead made an 'Action Packed, guns blazing, gore aplenty, PCs which cost under £7000 shouldn't even try to run this' game, which is the sort of thing you seem to want, judging by most of your posts?

Moreso, what'd happen if it flopped?

dont worry their Sam and Max games are their most profitable
  • edited September 2007
    do you know how much more it costs to make an fps game you need a much larger team to work on all aspects ie the physics, the engine, the animations etc.
    and telltale seem to be focusing on episodic games at the moment and the half life episodes are on one of the worst release schedules i have ever seen (albeit duke nukem forever and shenmue III (i know its not happening))
  • edited September 2007
    patters wrote: »
    shenmue III (i know its not happening))

IT'S GONNA HAPPEN! We just need to have faith.
  • edited September 2007
    Telltale is a small developer which makes moderately successful games that they distribute mainly over the 'net. I tried downloading the Bioshock demo some while ago and it was 1.8GB. That's considerably more than the whole of Season 1 of Sam and Max. A high budget, graphics intensive FPS is unlikely to come from a company dealing in niche licensed titles which sell because of a pre-existing fan base and because they're cheap and simple to get to a worldwide market.

But hey, I've been surprised before this week. Not in a good way... :(
  • edited September 2007
    Silly Bob wrote: »
    IT'S GONNA HAPPEN! We just need to have faith.

ok id like to see telltale make shenmue III then
  • edited September 2007
    Telltale is a small developer which makes moderately successful games that they distribute mainly over the 'net. I tried downloading the Bioshock demo some while ago and it was 1.8GB. That's considerably more than the whole of Season 1 of Sam and Max. A high budget, graphics intensive FPS is unlikely to come from a company dealing in niche licensed titles which sell because of a pre-existing fan base and because they're cheap and simple to get to a worldwide market.

But hey, I've been surprised before this week. Not in a good way... :(

wow! very good response
  • edited September 2007
    patters wrote: »
    ok id like to see telltale make shenmue III then

Actually I read a pretty Recent interview with Yu Suzuki, I'd love to give a link, but can't remember where I found it, and he was pretty optimistic about the prospects of shenmue III, He's talking about trying to get it out on X-Box 360 and Wii.

Of course he's been giving little updates on his optimism every few years, but I'm such an avid fanboy that I blindly accept everything he says.
  • edited September 2007
    pvt public

How many of these asterix and obelix games have you played. I dont know if the XXL ones released in kiwi land but these games rock. It makes kick buttix look like a bad spyro.
    Try XXL2 magnum las vegas or something to the sort. I cant believe they didnt get sued making fun of all those games haha.

But id love to see a decent advent sam & max style with em. It would sooo work
  • edited September 2007
    Asterix & Obelix adventure game? What a brilliant idea.

Telltale please get on it :)
  • edited September 2007
    I'd like to see a Tintin adventure games. I love those comics, funny and great stories!
  • edited September 2007
    evilguy12 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Tintin adventure games. I love those comics, funny and great stories!

This would actually be pretty cool.
  • edited October 2007
    evilguy12 wrote: »

worth thinking about since steven spielberg and peter jackson are making the movies ^^
  • edited October 2007
    Let's see, I had a few ideas.
    "'Allo 'Allo!" could be made into a brilliant game, if done right. The problem would be licensing from the BBC.
    A Song of Ice and Fire - I heard HBO is making a tv series from the books. They're definitely worth looking into.
    "Doctor Who" - Any era would do, except perhaps the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras. Dreadful. But this would make a fantastic episodic game series. Again, though, you have the problem of licensing from the BBC.

Or even better, why not something completely original and insane? You have Dave Grossman, what else do you need?
  • edited October 2007
    oohh missed this post but I'd love an asterix or tintin game! 3 investigators or hardy boys game would be great 2 (ahhh childhood memories :) )
  • edited October 2007
    glenfx wrote: »
    worth thinking about since steven spielberg and peter jackson are making the movies ^^

well steven spileberg was a fan of the lucasarts adventures..so telltale getting the rights to make a tintin game in time for the movie isn't that far fetched!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    3 investigators

Heh, The 3 Investigators! I forgot about those books. There was one where a case took them to Petaluma (my hometown), which I thought was pretty awesome, way back whenever I read those.
  • edited October 2007
    AllenB wrote: »
    "'Allo 'Allo!" could be made into a brilliant game, if done right. The problem would be licensing from the BBC.
    I like that idea more and more the more I think about it. It's perfectly suited to some episodic escapades. The problem I see though is that with the ton of running gags the series has you'll get comments along the lines of "it's too repetitive/predictable" (not to mention "they use the same locations too much").
  • edited October 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Heh, The 3 Investigators! I forgot about those books. There was one where a case took them to Petaluma (my hometown), which I thought was pretty awesome, way back whenever I read those.

oh yeah those books rocked..they just made a 3 investigators movie..its for germany tho..where its really big over there ..trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BVpKYqEN5w
  • edited October 2007
    I only listened to the radio plays but as for games usm produced a few ??? point&click adventures for a young audience. Low budget productions without the original voice actors but if you're a fan...

-> http://diedreifragezeichen.usm.de/produkte%20software.html (german)
  • edited October 2007
    Interesting!
  • edited October 2007
    AllenB wrote: »
    Let's see, I had a few ideas.

You'd run into the German problem though, with Nazis being banned from games there, and that is a sizeable market. Also, are the people who watched that show way back when the sort to download adventure games? Possibly, but it could be a much harder ask than marketing something contemporary.
  • edited October 2007
    well not sure about an allo allo game..but I was a fan and actually saw allo allo live on stage in london in 89..and i play adventure games :)
  • edited October 2007
    And then there's reruns. I remember the show fondly, despite technically being younger than it. I've even seen reruns as recently as this year.
  • edited November 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    You'd run into the German problem though, with Nazis being banned from games there, and that is a sizeable market.

It's not impossible to display nazi-related stories in german version of games. usually a few symbols need to be altered or removed and thats it. well, of course only as long as the third reich is not glorified. for example: there was no problem getting "fate of atlantis" here...
  • MelMel
    edited November 2007
    For Undercover: Operation Wintersun (which took place during WWII and took place in Berlin for part of the game), I believe they replaced the swastikas with crosses for the German version.
  • edited December 2007
    I'd say something original. Still make adventure games like Bone and Sam and Max (Bone 3 would be nice btw). Not a platformer, but maybe a mix between adventure and another type of game that isn't too much of a copy of what's currently being released on the consoles. I was thinking something along the lines of the Quest for Glory series, or make something that just captures the imagination.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.