Season One DVD!

edited August 2007 in Sam & Max
[Pro] Extras! I haven't watched any of them yet, but I'm psyched. :) (I think I'll finish playing all the episodes first, though.)

[Pro] Works fine under VMWare Fusion! (Didn't work so well under Parallels Desktop.) This is more a Fusion thing than a Season 1 DVD thing, but nonetheless it means that now I can play it on my Mac without having to reboot into BootCamp. Serious plus there. V. excited.

[Con] Wait, I have to have the DVD inserted to play? Rrrrr. *sigh* That's highly irritating for those of us with laptops who want to be able to play the game without having to tote around the disc with us just in case we might want to play it or look all over the house to figure out where we left it.

Seriously, though, for those of you who have closely compared the two (and I'm sure that you exist), are there any big game differences other than the extras and so on between the download versions and the disc versions? If not, I think I may uninstall this and reinstall all the individual download versions just so I don't have to bring the DVD with me everywhere.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    The download versions may not work for you under VMWare because of the activation software. Otherwise, the game content is exactly the same.
  • edited August 2007
    Acutally, from what I can see, you only need the disc to use the launcher. The games themselves should run fine...or, at least, I'm pretty sure that's the case.
  • edited August 2007
    The episodes on the DVD do require that the disc be in the drive.
  • edited August 2007
    What I liked about the DVD is that the Commentary Liability screen and the opening clips change every time you put in the DVD.:D
  • edited August 2007
    I love the fact that I can pop the DVD into my DVD player and watch Sam and Max on TV. Needless to say, the blooper reel is HILARIOUS.
  • edited August 2007
    I turns out that I spoke too soon. The game doesn't actually work correctly under Fusion. :( (Especially ":(" since I already deleted my BootCamp partition.) Early in the game, there are a lot of minor texture issues (things appearing properly-coloured but smooth and shiny instead of their proper texture) and then later it locked up on me.

These are, I assume, Fusion issues rather than issues with the game, but I figured I'd note it for any other Mac folks playing.
  • edited August 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    The download versions may not work for you under VMWare because of the activation software. Otherwise, the game content is exactly the same.

Activation works well on VMWare for me :)
  • edited August 2007
    Maize wrote: »
    things appearing properly-coloured but smooth and shiny instead of their proper texture

That's exactly how it looked on my PC before I upgraded my graphics card. I had no idea the walls and dart board had real textures >_<.

It's probably just that Fusion can't handle the bump maps, unless it's every texture that's showing up like that?
  • edited August 2007
    My laptop can't handle the bump-mapping.

;_;
  • edited August 2007
    Unfortunately the SecuROM protection doesn't work with WINE. It thinks I'm running a memory debugger. ;_;
Sign in to comment in this discussion.