Voice Actors

2»

Comments

• edited October 2008
    dimomarg wrote: »
    Wha-? There is a ban in S&M videogame debut? It is just not right. Of course I sign

slowpoke-pokemon.gif

There seems to be a disconnect somewhere along the line...
  • edited November 2008
    I certainly wish more fans of the original Hit the Road voices would post here and give me some support. I don't want to be the only person on this message board who actually wants them back!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Bad Asp wrote: »
    I certainly wish more fans of the original Hit the Road voices would post here and give me some support. I don't want to be the only person on this message board who actually wants them back!

There are, I'm sure, plenty of people who would love to hear those two guys reprise their roles as Sam & Max. That said, there are now plenty of people who are big fans of the new guys as well. It's a perfectly acceptable matter of personal preference. Of couse, we all really like the guys we've cast for our Sam & Max games, and have no plans to re-cast again.
  • edited November 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    There are, I'm sure, plenty of people who would love to hear those two guys reprise their roles as Sam & Max. That said, there are now plenty of people who are big fans of the new guys as well. It's a perfectly acceptable matter of personal preference. Of couse, we all really like the guys we've cast for our Sam & Max games, and have no plans to re-cast again.

Oh, you did not just say what I think you said.

How could anyone possibly like the current voices? I mean, have you people actually listened to them? Sam's current voice is dull, robotic, and completely lacking in emotion. I don't want to hear Microsoft Sam! I want to hear Sam Sam! And if I have to hear the whiny, abrasive, annoying, eardrum-bleeding shrieking that is Max's current voice one more time, I swear I will dip two Q-tips in burning acid and stick them in my ears for a long period of time. I won't be able to hear the original Hit the Road voices anymore, but it's a small price to pay just to avoid hearing the current ones. No offense, people who actually like them, but I don't trust you. I think you're evil, and I think you hate Sam and Max. I think you actually like the fact that Lucasarts is holding both of the games in which Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson voiced the duo hostage, and you purposely want the Freelance Police to be voiced by untalented amateurs just so you can rub it in our faces, and ruin the careers of two talented voice actors in the process by separating them from two characters that they put their hearts and souls into voicing. Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson spent two years perfecting the dialogue from Freelance Police and don't get either the right to see their game come to life or their original game on U.S. store shelves, while David Nowlin and William Kasten butcher the dialogue from the episodic series and, for some reason I still don't understand, get paid a lot of money for it and their games on store shelves. Does that seem fair?

I'm sorry if this post makes you think I'm some hateful idiot who won't give the current voices a chance, but that is my opinion of them.

[end ridiculously long rant]
  • edited November 2008
    Who's to say they can even still do the voices? Remember the final two seasons of Family Matters? (and if not, why? Family Matters makes the world go 'round.*) It was downright painful listening to Jaleel White try to hit his famous "Urkel pitch".

*Note to TellTale: "Family Matters: The Game" won't develop itself, y'know.

EDIT: While I fervently disagree, Asp, that "Microsoft Sam" line is pure gold. GOLD.
  • edited November 2008
    How could anyone possibly like the current voices? I mean, have you people actually listened to them? Sam's current voice is dull, robotic, and completely lacking in emotion. I don't want to hear Microsoft Sam! I want to hear Sam Sam! And if I have to hear the whiny, abrasive, annoying, eardrum-bleeding shrieking that is Max's current voice one more time, I swear I will dip two Q-tips in burning acid and stick them in my ears for a long period of time. I won't be able to hear the original Hit the Road voices anymore, but it's a small price to pay just to avoid hearing the current ones. No offense, people who actually like them, but I don't trust you. I think you're evil, and I think you hate Sam and Max. I think you actually like the fact that Lucasarts is holding both of the games in which Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson voiced the duo hostage, and you purposely want the Freelance Police to be voiced by untalented amateurs just so you can rub it in our faces, and ruin the careers of two talented voice actors in the process by separating them from two characters that they put their hearts and souls into voicing. Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson spent two years perfecting the dialogue from Freelance Police and don't get either the right to see their game come to life or their original game on U.S. store shelves, while David Nowlin and William Kasten butcher the dialogue from the episodic series and, for some reason I still don't understand, get paid a lot of money for it and their games on store shelves. Does that seem fair?

Otherwise though, you really like the voices.
  • edited November 2008
    Joey Camen is one of the most versatile voice-actors I have ever heard.
  • edited November 2008
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Otherwise though, you really like the voices.

No I don't! I don't like the current voices, okay?!
  • edited November 2008
    ...and ruin the careers of two talented voice actors in the process by separating them from two characters that they put their hearts and souls into voicing

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0267724/
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0417068/

Hardly going jobless.
  • edited November 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »

Yeah seriously, your conclusion is that their careers are ruined, Bad Asp? If anything I'd imagine their careers taking off is part of the reason Telltale can't get them.

I think you're just going to have to square with the fact that whether people prefer the new voices to the originals or not, very very few people share your seething hatred for them to the point where they won't play the games. Nowlin and Kasten are here to say and if you can't get over that, you may just have to play the games with the voices off.
  • edited November 2008
    Come on, Goofy? HE HAS THE MOST ANNOYING VOICE EVER!
  • edited November 2008
    Udvarnoky wrote: »
    Yeah seriously, your conclusion is that their careers are ruined, Bad Asp? If anything I'd imagine their careers taking off is part of the reason Telltale can't get them.

I think you're just going to have to square with the fact that whether people prefer the new voices to the originals or not, very very few people share your seething hatred for them to the point where they won't play the games. Nowlin and Kasten are here to say and if you can't get over that, you may just have to play the games with the voices off.

Fine! I'll do that if you people are going to continue to act the way you do toward me.
  • edited November 2008
    Come on, Goofy? HE HAS THE MOST ANNOYING VOICE EVER!

Oh no you didn't.
  • edited November 2008
    Fine! I'll do that if you people are going to continue to act the way you do toward me.

That'll teach us.
  • edited November 2008
    mish wrote: »
    What voice actors have there been in the series and have you ever considered using Bill Farmer as Sam and Nick Jameson as Max?

Not a fan of the original voices. Sorry.
  • edited November 2008
    I don't frickin' believe you people!
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Bad Asp wrote:
    No offense, people who actually like them, but I don't trust you. I think you're evil, and I think you hate Sam and Max.

Ever think about the way you act towards other people? Just sayin'.
  • edited November 2008
    Shauntron wrote: »
    Ever think about the way you act towards other people? Just sayin'.

Well, that's how I think they act toward me. I think I know exactly where I stand on this forum (somewhere on the bottom), and I feel that this is one of those situations where I need to stand up and fight for what I believe in. I don't want to be one of those wildebeests just standing there and waiting to be devoured by a hungry lion. Just sayin'.

Oh, and I still want the original voice actors back. If neither of them are an available option by 2009, I may lose my mind completely, and believe me, no one wants that.
  • edited November 2008
    Can I confuse the matter by saying I really liked the animated series' voice actors? I think I would be the minority here... ^^;

Sure, I like the current VAs and the original VAs, they all have good points and bad. I'm probably biased about the cartoon's because it was my favorite medium they were in.
  • edited November 2008
    Breakman wrote: »
    Can I confuse the matter by saying I really liked the animated series' voice actors? I think I would be the minority here... ^^;

Sure, I like the current VAs and the original VAs, they all have good points and bad. I'm probably biased about the cartoon's because it was my favorite medium they were in.

i always liked them too, they were my introduction to sam and max when the were on channel 4 in the 90s, i'm not so much of the HTR voices, but i like the episodes voices
  • edited November 2008
    Wow, I looked at the Bill and Nick's IMDB-pages, and I found out that 'Max' plays Richard Malkin on Lost. Awesome!

270px-Richard_Malkin_.jpg

Regarding the 'discussion': I prefer the Telltale-voices, they fit the tone of the games perfectly. Sam's voice is the voice of the comics. Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson were great at what they did, but the entire style of both the game and the cartoon series was different from what Telltale tries to achieve with the episodic games (which is to create something that's closer to the comics than the cartoons, the first game and its cancelled sequel). And it works perfectly, for me at least.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Well, that's how I think they act toward me. I think I know exactly where I stand on this forum (somewhere on the bottom), and I feel that this is one of those situations where I need to stand up and fight for what I believe in.

I think the members here have disagreed with you in the most respectful way I've ever seen a group of people do on any internet forum, and casting yourself as downtrodden and low-ranking is disingenuous.

I don't want to be one of those wildebeests just standing there and waiting to be devoured by a hungry lion. Just sayin'.

At the risk of prodding too deep, I really have to know what in the world you're talking about here.
  • edited November 2008
    I feel that this is one of those situations where I need to stand up and fight for what I believe in.

Okay... really? Of all the things in this world to fight for, you choose voice actors?

I love Sam & Max as much as the next guy, but no matter who portrays them, it remains to be nothing but a comic/cartoon/series of games.

The well-being of humanity is something to fight for. Earth preservation is something to fight for. Voice overs are not.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Well, that's how I think they act toward me. I think I know exactly where I stand on this forum (somewhere on the bottom), and I feel that this is one of those situations where I need to stand up and fight for what I believe in. I don't want to be one of those wildebeests just standing there and waiting to be devoured by a hungry lion. Just sayin'.

Oh, and I still want the original voice actors back. If neither of them are an available option by 2009, I may lose my mind completely, and believe me, no one wants that.

Let's change this up a bit.

You're right, Bad Asp. The voice actors from Hit the Road are the true voice for the series. Everyone agrees with you now; you have convinced them through many well-argued points, spellbinding rhetoric, and light temper tantrums, that the two actors who portrayed the Sam and Max in the 1993 LucasArts game are the true embodiments of the characters.

wait... light creeping in... mom opening the blinds... time for school, guhhh...

blocks_image_22_1.jpg

... yes, it was all a dream. Sadly, we're still in the real world, where people are still entitled to their own opinions, and some of them happen to disagree with you.

As Shaun pointed out, really, for a Disagreement On The Internet, people have been extremely cordial in this thread, taking the time to actually read and reply to other peoples posts, instead of barfing out nothing but vitriolic waste.

The fact is not everyone agrees with you, and you are going to have to live with that. The other (more heartening) fact, though, is that while not everyone agrees with you, nobody is offended that you like the original voice actors. It's a perfectly valid personal preference, and you are welcome to have it. Everyone here is telling you that you're welcome to prefer those guys. In fact, I would say that one of the few people in this thread who is being intolerant of the opinions of others is you. You continue to make threats you'll enact if your demands aren't met, and belittle other people for disagreeing with you.

We won't be re-casting Sam & Max with Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson (or with Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, sorry Breakman :) ) -- they did a great job on Hit the Road, but we went elsewhere with our games, and are very happy with the guys we're working with now -- so if your antics really are in some last ditch hope to get us to recast our main characters after happily going back to them for eleven games over the last two years... you need to stop.

I'm glad you liked Hit the Road, and the voice actors in it, but really, Bad Asp, you're not going to enact change by issuing threats, calling names, and playing martyr in what is an otherwise reasonably polite thread.

If the polite respect for your being entitled to your own opinion isn't enough for you, then I don't really know what we can do for you, because you're not going to change anyone's minds by posting on a video game web forum.
  • edited November 2008
    We won't be re-casting Sam & Max with Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson (or with Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, sorry Breakman :) )\
    I'm guessing this means Sean Connery is off the table for Sam, too.
  • edited November 2008

I'll agree with that sentiment as well. I prefer the cartoon voices and Telltale's voices over the Hit the Road voices. For Max it'd be Tinkler, Kasten then Jameson and for Sam it'd be Nowlin, Atkin then Farmer. I'd probably presume that given his improvement since 102, Kasten will likely hit the top by the middle of season 3. (Edit: Especially if we see the action quotient go up. Come on Telltale, I've seen where you've gone with Strong Bad, give ol' Sam & Max a taste...)

I'll call that bluff. Who else wants to see Bad Asp turn purple?

Oh, and Jake, you're now my sarcasmic hero.
  • edited November 2008
    patters wrote: »
    i always liked them too, they were my introduction to sam and max when the were on channel 4 in the 90s, i'm not so much of the HTR voices, but i like the episodes voices

I came late to the party. I started on the TT episodes before anything else. I never heard of the show when I grew up. (Then again, I wasn't allowed to watch that much TV...)

I really like these voices because Max has that spaz-like quality to him and Sam's voice reminds me of John Astin (Gomez from the Addams Family) which is funny personally.
    [...]or with Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, sorry Breakman :)

:snaps fingers and gives a light kick to the air: Aww... :(

... :p
    Avel wrote: »
    For Max it'd be Tinkler, Kasten then Jameson and for Sam it'd be Nowlin, Atkin then Farmer.

If I went à la carte, Tinkler and Nowlin. ^^ But really, I'm just glad that Sam and Max have voices. I don't think I would be into the series as much as I am without voices. Most of the jokes depend on how they are delivered and the tone. HtR was good for sarcastic/dry humor, AoSM for over-the-top (especially on Max), and the TT episodes... uh... well, some kind... of humor... ^^; The TT episodes has that generalized, not particularly specialized type of humor style.

To HtR's defense, it was funny because of their choice of voices. The stereotypical New York accent matched with talking, upright-walking, animals: it adds to their character and I miss that.

Rewind and back to what I said before, I'm happy as long as there are voices and good ones at that. Most people take for granted voice acting in videogames nowadays.
  • edited November 2008
    We won't be re-casting Sam & Max with Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson (or with Harvey Atkin and Robert Tinkler, sorry Breakman :) ) -- they did a great job on Hit the Road, but we went elsewhere with our games, and are very happy with the guys we're working with now -- so if your antics really are in some last ditch hope to get us to recast our main characters after happily going back to them for eleven games over the last two years... you need to stop.

I'm glad you liked Hit the Road, and the voice actors in it, but really, Bad Asp, you're not going to enact change by issuing threats, calling names, and playing martyr in what is an otherwise reasonably polite thread.

If the polite respect for your being entitled to your own opinion isn't enough for you, then I don't really know what we can do for you, because you're not going to change anyone's minds by posting on a video game web forum.

If what I did offended anyone on this forum, I apologize once again. I'm not one who sugar-coats my emotions, and I wear them on my sleeve.

Still, if only there was some way I could hear the original Sam and Max voices again without having to resort to playing Hit the Road once again... maybe a series on Adult Swim, or a made-for-DVD movie...

Or, even if you don't recast the voices, you could still bring the original voice actors into the studio to allow the choice of an alternative option... that way David Nowlin fans and William Kasten fans can be happy AND Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson fans can be happy. I don't think ANY game has the option to choose which voice actors the players want to use, so you could be the first!

:(sigh...:( I so wish that could happen...
  • edited November 2008

I like the Cartoon Series Voice Actors also... I think it may be because I've just heard them more than the others. Don't get me wrong the others are great too, just personal preference. They all seem to fit in each game/show in their own way, I think that may be due to the type of comedy they are doing... I dunno.

Personally I'd really like to see another Sam & Max cartoon for adult audiences. So they can use guns and stuff and swear when necessary. I wouldn't care who they got to VA for them just as long as they made them!
  • edited November 2008
    *raises hand* I'll add to the love for the cartoon voices, too. Though Atkin's take on Sam isn't my personal favorite (that goes to Nowlin's version), it suits the tone of the show, is well-acted, and it stays true to the essence of who Sam is.* Add the fact that Atkin and Tinkler—whose Max I loved almost from the start—had great chemistry and could tackle those longer-winded stretches of dialogue so nimbly, and I can't help but be impressed.

Actually, that brings up something else I've been thinking about: To me, when you've got two characters who work so closely together, you can't skimp on making sure the chemistry between the voices actors works anymore than you should cut corners with the technical quality of the performances or the characterizations. Fortunately, Hit the Road, Telltale's episodes, and the cartoon series all have that down pat—because of which, my preferences notwithstanding, I don't think I would change a thing in terms of casting. Sure, it'd be neat to see, say, Nowlin and Tinkler teamed up, but I don't know if their Sam and Max would bounce off each other all that well. Nowlin and Kasten (whose Max I admire in equal measure to Tinkler's) are already terrific together. “Why fix what ain't broke?” I say. :)

---

*There's a slight caveat to this, but it's more about a personal perception of the character than a claim that this is what, say, Steve Purcell would tell us about Sam. What I've tended to like better about Nowlin's and Farmer's takes is how their deadpan, Bogart-esque vocals go along so well with both the suit and Sam's (generally) calm demeanor. I also think the more sedate voice works better when played against Max's manic, more "cartoony" one. That said, while Sam's sarcastic edge in Hit the Road is pretty fun, it seems a tad over-emphasized and thus feels slightly "off" to me in terms of characterization (especially when compared to the comics). So, for me at least, Nowlin's Sam has been the best vocal representation of the character so far.
  • edited December 2008
    All I want for Christmas is the original voices from Hit the Road back!

And some decent employees who wouldn't dare throw them under the bus in favor of cheap generic imitators! (I'm looking at YOU, Jake, Shauntron, Tabacco, and MarkDarin... with all due respect, of course!)

Please, God, grant me this wish!
  • edited December 2008
    All I want for Christmas is the original voices from Hit the Road back!

And some decent employees who wouldn't dare throw them under the bus in favor of cheap generic imitators! (I'm looking at YOU, Jake, Shauntron, Tabacco, and MarkDarin... with all due respect, of course!)

Please, God, grant me this wish!

please shut up, with the greatest amount of kindness
  • edited December 2008
    And I'd like to take this opportunity to lodge a complaint at the colour of Max's fur. In Hit the Road, it had a slight yellow tint to it, but now it's white. If action isn't taken immediately, I will be forced to make a petition, and possibly sue anyone who's ever thought about playing any games with dogs or rabbits in them.

Haha, I know I shouldn't do, but I can't help but jump in whenever this guy posts.
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure that's unrelated to voice actors, Badwolf.

I'm also extremely saddened that you've decided to once again dredge this thread back up, Bad Asp. I'm closing it, and advising you to steer away from your caustic tone.
This discussion has been closed.