Vista Gadget - Countdown to Ice Station Santa

edited November 2007 in Sam & Max
http://h1.ripway.com/sammaxhalloween/SNMGadget.zip
Here is a little Vista gadget I made for people to use. It displays the days remaining until the release date of Ice Station Santa. Nothing special really. :)

Unzip the download and bung it in your %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets folder.

I did try using some Ice Station Santa images for it, but they looked really poor because I had to shrink them down to fit them onto something this size.

preview.png

Sidenote to Emily/whoever - Yeah, you can ignore the email. I'll send something else soon. I realised that ISS would basically be out by the time it is over.

Comments

• edited October 2007
    As a MacUser, I did a Mac OS X Widget ^^

You can find it here ! Just double-click on it, and voila !

boscowidget.png

(and please, correct me if it sounds bad, I understand english but I do a lot of mistakes myself ^^ it seems correct to me but... can't know ^^)
  • edited October 2007
    Well what d'ya know, this is on the You ♥ The Internet section on Telltale's site. :D
  • edited October 2007
    Yohmi: I am not a Mac user, so I can't try your counter myself; but the preview you posted looks fine as far as the English is concerned. Good job!

You too Guybrush.
  • edited October 2007
    I'm using Windows XP, I downloaded your counter for Windows Vista and it says there are 25 days left when there are actually less. Can you make one for Windows XP?
  • edited October 2007
    Yohmi wrote: »
    As a MacUser, I did a Mac OS X Widget ^^

You can find it here ! Just double-click on it, and voila !

boscowidget.png

(and please, correct me if it sounds bad, I understand english but I do a lot of mistakes myself ^^ it seems correct to me but... can't know ^^)

Oh, thanks! I'm a mac user too!

However, good work, Guybrush!
  • edited October 2007
    I'm using Windows XP, I downloaded your counter for Windows Vista and it says there are 25 days left when there are actually less. Can you make one for Windows XP?

It is counting down for the worldwide (Telltale's site) release date. :)

Do you mean a sidebar gadget for Windows XP? Or just something you can put on your desktop?

...oh, and thanks everyone. :D
  • SegSeg
    edited October 2007
    I have Yohmi's widget on my Dashboard right now. While it's a countdown for when you receive it, it's a countdown for me on when to ship. Different needs, mutual benefit! I have a few notes on Yohmi's widget. I don't know if this applies to Guybrush's as I haven't cracked it open.

The way the widget is coded, the time is calculated only within the timezone of the client's computer. Unless your computer is set to PST (-8:00 GMT), the countdown is off epically for outside North America. Also, we are not releasing on 00:01 of launch day. The best I can say is "sometime after 09:00 PST (-8:00 GMT)". As in, it won't be released sooner, but may arrive sometime later.

Actually... how would you all feel if I took these widgets as a base and made an uber widget for all episodes? I'll put in the notes above and add a switch between Telltale and Gametap modes. It's been a few months since I worked on any HTML, longer for widgets, and I don't want to get rusty.
  • edited October 2007
    It would be great, it is my first widget and I just followed a little tutorial made by Macworld :)
    And thank you Mystinsun and krin for your comments :)
  • edited October 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    I have Yohmi's widget on my Dashboard right now. While it's a countdown for when you receive it, it's a countdown for me on when to ship. Different needs, mutual benefit! I have a few notes on Yohmi's widget. I don't know if this applies to Guybrush's as I haven't cracked it open.

The way the widget is coded, the time is calculated only within the timezone of the client's computer. Unless your computer is set to PST (-8:00 GMT), the countdown is off epically for outside North America. Also, we are not releasing on 00:01 of launch day. The best I can say is "sometime after 09:00 PST (-8:00 GMT)". As in, it won't be released sooner, but may arrive sometime later.

Actually... how would you all feel if I took these widgets as a base and made an uber widget for all episodes? I'll put in the notes above and add a switch between Telltale and Gametap modes. It's been a few months since I worked on any HTML, longer for widgets, and I don't want to get rusty.

Oh, mine is nothing special. Just a basic countdown script. :) I was going to make it so you could switch between Gametap and Telltale time, but I couldn't be bothered*.

Edit - It is also my first widget! :D

*didn't know how to.
  • SegSeg
    edited October 2007
    The bugger with developing this thing for OS X is that Leopard's release is eminent. By the time this is finished, some new wiz-bang feature will come down the pipe that I'd like to play with, but I'll live.

As far as releases, I'll be working on this on and off, but the Mac version will be out first. That's mainly because I already have my trusty old PowerBook right here and know the SDK versus the Vista box across the desk from me. Any one out there good at converting Mac Widgets with Vista Widgets (oh, I mean 'Gadgets')?
  • edited October 2007
    It is counting down for the worldwide (Telltale's site) release date. :)

Do you mean a sidebar gadget for Windows XP? Or just something you can put on your desktop?

...oh, and thanks everyone. :D

I want one for windows XP
  • edited October 2007
    Windows xp doesn't have a sidebar or any sort of HTML-driven widget system.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2007
    Yahoo Widgets! (aka Konfabulator)

It's actually quite cool. Though I don't use it,* I prefer it in many ways to Dashboard and the Vista sidebar.

* I don't use dashboard or the vista toolbar either, though, so go figure.
  • MelMel
    edited October 2007
    I just downloaded the Sudoku widget. Whee! :) It's fun.
  • edited October 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Yahoo Widgets! (aka Konfabulator)

It's actually quite cool. Though I don't use it,* I prefer it in many ways to Dashboard and the Vista sidebar.

* I don't use dashboard or the vista toolbar either, though, so go figure.

When I was running XP I used Google Desktop.
  • edited October 2007
    yay im so excited! Not long left now! 8D
  • edited October 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    The bugger with developing this thing for OS X is that Leopard's release is eminent. By the time this is finished, some new wiz-bang feature will come down the pipe that I'd like to play with, but I'll live.

As far as releases, I'll be working on this on and off, but the Mac version will be out first. That's mainly because I already have my trusty old PowerBook right here and know the SDK versus the Vista box across the desk from me. Any one out there good at converting Mac Widgets with Vista Widgets (oh, I mean 'Gadgets')?

Now Leopard's out, you can install DashCode (in optional installs) and it's super-easy to make a neat countdown widget with this app :) I just installed it, and you don't even need to know HTML or anything, you just have to fill text-fields, check boxes, and drag elements :) There is even a reminder to see if you don't forget any step...

http://yohmi.free.fr/bordel/dashcode.png
  • edited October 2007
    Wow, cool program... don't suppose Windows has something like that out?
  • SegSeg
    edited October 2007
    Sorry for the lack of news on this project, but I am still working on this. I think we all agree that getting Episode 1 out on time is a higher priority than this widget, but I have made some progress.

I got Leopard Friday morning (thanks FedEx!) and have been playing around with the OS since. I'm looking at DashCode a little bit, but I have to weigh in the options of almost redoing the widget from scratch in order to work with the IDE. I'm still on the fence if only for that reason.

As for the actual widget itself, I've made the project's scope a bit larger. Instead of one widget per episode/project, I'm constructing something that will adapt to all episodes and beyond. The widget will pull a text file of JSON variables from the TTG server and populate the widget with all announced release information for all of TTG's projects. The benefits to this file go beyond this widget as anyone can make something based of this file. So if we have to make a change, anything that reads that file will get the updated information. Not to mention this work extending beyond a widget for an OS we don't make games for.

While it would be nice to get this done before Episode 1, don't hold your breath. This project is on my radar and I'm tinkering away at it, but it's lower on my priority list.

But to prove that I've done a bit of work, I have some quick screenshots for you! Keep in mind that stuff may and likely will change from these captures, but feedback is welcomed. Also, I took the shots from in-browser so ignore the gray lines on top of each image.

20071029_preview_front.png
    Front - The time/date on the bottom will change based on your local time zone. So for the EST zone, it will show up as 'Nov 9, 2007 12:00'. The countdown is to when we expect releasing, but the time conversions are done for you. Also, the TTG logo will change to the GameTap logo if that's the release you selected.

20071029_preview_back.png
    Back - Settings go here. The top one selects which title you want to display, the bottom the distribution channel (TTG or Gametap).
  • edited October 2007
    Looks awesome. I take it you aren't doing one for Vista at the moment?
  • SegSeg
    edited October 2007
    Looks awesome. I take it you aren't doing one for Vista at the moment?

Not right now, but I'm making this widget so the OS X only aspects are at a minimum. I'm familiar with widgets having done one at my previous job, so I can ship a working something quicker.

I don't think we'll publicly announce this widget until we have it on the platforms our game actually runs on. 'Publicly' as in posting on the blog and such, but this thread should have the OS X widget when it's done.

The Javascript used should be applicable to other platforms including web pages, iGoogle, and I assume Vista's stuff. Not to mention that the JSON file can be used by anyone else so inclined... *drops the hint bomb*
  • SegSeg
    edited November 2007
    I finally have something for all of you on Mac OS X to play around with! But please read my notes before using this Widget.
    • This is an OS X Widget informing you of release information on Windows games. The irony is not lost on me.
    • The release times are estimates. Actual releases may occur sooner or later than what's reported.
    • No warranty. If this breaks, you keep both pieces.
    • This widget requires Mac OS X 10.4.3 or better (includes Mac OS X 10.5).
    Not making a huge release deal out of this until we have at least something for Windows people to use. I started with a OS X widget since I've already made widgets before, but a lot can be applied to other platforms.

With that out of the way, here's some details about the widget.

Timezones & Daylight Savings:
    As long as your Mac is set to the correct timezone, time, and with the latest timezone updates, you should be reporting a correct countdown.

I've set the release time for SamMax201 from Telltale to be 9:00am PST. That's 17:00 UTC. In the widget however, you will see the time reported as set to your timezone. So the US east coast should see the time as Nov 9th, 12:00pm EST.

If you're confused and want to check things out, timeanddate.com is wonderful!

Multi-Widget Instances:
    You can have more than one instance of widget running with different title/vendor settings.

Widget Updates:
    The widget will notify you if I made an update to the widget itself by displaying a notice and a download link. You will not need to redownload a new widget for simple title release information.

Release Updates:
    The widget will pull all the title and release information via a super-secret file on the Internets. This will update release times, title names, and other things. This file is also available for anyone else wanting to make a release info thingy of any sort. However, the file format may change in the next few weeks, but any feedback is welcomed!

Download & Screenshots:

TelltaleCountdown.wdgt.zip (146kb)

20071106_preview_front.png
    20071106_preview_back.png

Please give me any feedback via this thread!
  • edited November 2007
    Ohhh that's fantastic, thank you very much :)
    The only complaint is about time zone, because as we all know, the game will be avalaible worldwide, and surely later than november 9 in my coutry for example ^^

Oh, and there is better screenshots, without frames and with real 256-levels shadow ^^

smwidgetsegFRONT.png smwidgetsegBACK.png

Thanks again :)
  • SegSeg
    edited November 2007
    Yohmi wrote: »
    Ohhh that's fantastic, thank you very much :)
    The only complaint is about time zone, because as we all know, the game will be avalaible worldwide, and surely later than november 9 in my coutry for example ^^

What time zone are you in? The 'target' release time is 9am PST (-7:00), which means you'll get a different readout if you're not set to PST (-7:00) timezone.
  • edited November 2007
    wow... looks great... wish i had a mac to use it...

(goes back to play Ice Station Santa.....)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.