Gripe about the Season DVD Securom!

13»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Yep i would suspect the same. I'm just curious to know the limit(s). Maybe i should just try one out. :O)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Yep i would suspect the same. I'm just curious to know the limit(s). Maybe i should just try one out. :O)

Here's the most accurate description I could find. Tabacco was a Telltale Games employee.
  • edited March 2010
    Ah, thanks! Well, so no illuminati at TTG, otherwise they might have choosen the 23 instead.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    I haven't commented officially, since I'm not sure it is still 20. I *THINK* it is, but I'm not 100% sure. But yeah, it's more than you will reasonably use in a lifetime.
  • edited March 2010
    No problem, thanks!
  • edited March 2010
    I just wanted to make my first ever post here to say:

A disc check is a GOOD thing. The concern with DRM is that it will limit gameplay in the future. The activation model, which some here seem to prefer over a simple disc check, would severely limit access to the games if Telltale were to ever disappear (which will hopefully not happen for a very long time, but still).

Developers close, companies fold, the reason DRM is annoying from my point of view is it limits access to games after these events occur, or even before that in the case of limited activations.

So, THANK YOU Telltale for releasing DVDs with only a disc check, that is why I buy them and why I feel secure in buying the games online to begin with. Your hassle-free and activation-free DRM on the DVDs is MUCH appreciated by this fan.

Good day.
  • edited September 2010
    Yep, it's definitely annoying. I now tend to give my money to developers that support multiple platforms and use no DRM, because it's really annoying that what you buy turns out to be less usable that what it would be if you had pirated it...
  • edited September 2010
    Will wrote: »
    I haven't commented officially, since I'm not sure it is still 20. I *THINK* it is, but I'm not 100% sure. But yeah, it's more than you will reasonably use in a lifetime.

Just noticed this reply. Not to question where you got your data from but a realworld example of mine would be Beneath a Steel sky published in 1994. I can tell you with absolute certainty that I've reinstalled this game in one shape or form on every computer system I've ever owned since then which amount to a heck of a lot more than 20 installations on different hardware IDs.

I'd say that at most if it's a top notch game we're talking about 20 activations would be good for about 20 years at the most. Not even close to a lifetime in my book. If I were to be limited in this way I would in 20 years time or less probably have to pirate TMI just because I've run out of activations/or the service being discontinued(by far the most likely event). Mind you in my world the one genre that gives the most replay value are point&clicks. You would never have caught me playing Bioshock again after the initial playthrough...

Again this is only me and I don't buy games controlled by activationlimiting DRM, I buy the DVDs you release nothing else.
  • Original post.

Ah. So it's your fault the W&G (and as far as I can tell ToMI) discs use online activation. Thanks a lot.

I'm very anti-DRM for what it's worth but I prefer disc-in-drive to online activation because at least I'm not dependant on external servers to allow me to play the game I bought. The W&G disc is more useful as a coaster considering it's basically the same as me downloading the episodes and burning them to DVD. What if I want to replay these games in 50 years? I'll be 72, what about TTG? Will they still have the activation servers running? Will they still even exist? I want a legally binding contract that they will continue to provide the service until the fall of civilisation.
    I just wanted to make my first ever post here to say:

A disc check is a GOOD thing. The concern with DRM is that it will limit gameplay in the future. The activation model, which some here seem to prefer over a simple disc check, would severely limit access to the games if Telltale were to ever disappear (which will hopefully not happen for a very long time, but still).

Developers close, companies fold, the reason DRM is annoying from my point of view is it limits access to games after these events occur, or even before that in the case of limited activations.

So, THANK YOU Telltale for releasing DVDs with only a disc check, that is why I buy them and why I feel secure in buying the games online to begin with. Your hassle-free and activation-free DRM on the DVDs is MUCH appreciated by this fan.

Good day.

Correction... they did use disc checks but it seems those days are over. I normally steer clear of digitally distributed games with DRM, I made the exception for TTG because of the discs. I bought the games with the understanding that my disc wouldn't need online activation. The FAQ says this clearly:
    Yes, but we try to keep it as low-key and non-annoying as possible. Our downloadable games use a version of SecuROM that requires online activation. Our disc-based games also use SecuROM. Disc games don't require online activation, but the disc must be in the drive while you play.
  • edited September 2010
    As far as I know only the Wallace & Gromit disc uses online activation. The ToMI disc, as far as I'm aware, doesn't have any DRM whatsoever and the chapters don't use online activation. I don't think the normal launcher is even used, a chapter just loads up straight away after launching it.
This discussion has been closed.