Suggestions for Sam and Max

2»

Comments

• edited November 2007
    mish wrote: »
    No matter how passive agressive you are, Maratanos, Sam & Max aren't about "being nice". They're just oddball stories. There is no Larger scheme of things and just because they saved christmas doesn't make them loving, or kind, or nice for that purpose.
    That's really not the point.
    My own definiton of scumbag aside, but there is really no way you can argue that Sam & Max are "nice guys". If that's your two cents then you've missed a whole lot of Sam & Max merch or you're confusing it with rescue rangers.

OK. Couple things here.

They put it best themselves... "We're freelance police. We save the world."

It's not ABOUT being nice and they don't think of themselves as nice, but they end up being nice nonetheless.

"Actions speak louder than words" is a famous saying for a reason.

And if you think there's no larger scheme of things then you DEFINATELY haven't played Season 1. They saved the United States at least twice, and the entire world twice too. That's a hell of a lot larger scheme of things than a simple "oddball story" about three washed-up 70s TV show stars being hypnotized into liking their rival.

We haven't even BEGUN to see the larger scheme of things in Season 2. ;)

You know, I'm starting to suspect we have an issue of terminology here.

I'm thinking of being nice on a grand scale as meaning "doing the right thing and, at the end of the day, helping people out."

You're probably still thinking of nice in the mushy "I wuv you so much" sort of way.

And I agree they're not loving or kind. But those are really a very different kettle of fish.
  • edited November 2007
    You guys are welcome to discuss this, but I really don't want to see any more pointless name calling of flaming here. It's not worth fighting about. Seriously.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2007
    For what it's worth, Steve Purcell has always said that he thinks Sam & Max always intend to do good, and always think that what they're doing is keeping the peace and pursuing justice, but they're just not very good at doing it politely, and they can't resist creating a lot of ruckus as they go about it. You can hear Brendan talking about it a little bit in the Season One designer commentary tracks for one of the earlier episodes. Steve also says something similar in the "Comic-Con Camcorder" interim theater, when he's drawing Max with a halo over his head for a Comic-Con attendee.
  • edited November 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    Yeah. I'll give you that about Max. But Max really is mostly talk, if you didn't notice.

Or else Sam does a great job keeping him in control...

I definitely think Sam keeps him in check. Max may not be sociopathic, but he's pretty close, and there's no denying his love of violence.

(Look at us talking like they're real :p)
  • edited November 2007
    tabacco, you're taking it more seriously than we do, i think.

maratanos, yeah, i think i did interpret nice as "I wuv you so much". fair point.
    thing is, i try to base my view not only on the telltale episodes, but probably more on the comics and then hit the road. it seems to me like the comics and hit the road are a pretty different animal from telltale+tv show. there's a different attitude that follows each, that's how i see it.
    that said, i literally grew up playing hit the road and reading the comics, and it's been a huge part of my childhood - it taught me sarcasm at an early age, and i guess i'm always going to have hit the road as the standard for a sam & max game. Nostalgia.
    to me, sam & max fall into a similar box as, say, die hard, or the lethal weapon.

I'm still never gonna stop playing the Telltale games because they are getting better with each episode, but I'll always miss the sarcasm of Hit the Road, which is pretty unique. The closest thing I can think of to compare the humor to is "Hot Shots: Part Deux" and even that is an apple that falls 10 feet from the tree.

I can't even really put my finger on what I'm missing in the game right now, maybe it's the way both characters are less excited to do their job, maybe it's the colder sarcasm (which, again telltale's doing a pretty good job of catching up to), maybe it's the parodies of the modern american lifestyle... or maybe it's the 90's themselves, my favorite decade.

jake, thanks for that info. steve's a genius and a scholar. the fact he (and mignola) went to cca makes me wanna go too.
  • edited November 2007
    oh and also, a more sophisticated vocabulary for sam would be appropriate.
    i had to google what "celestial convergence" was. besides, sam was always supposed to be more intelligent than max, wasn't he? I mean he's wearing a suit ;)
  • edited November 2007
    well theres no conroy bumpus to hurl sarcastic remarks at.. I do agree with your point about the sarcasm though..
  • edited November 2007
    Hopefully Stinky will become a target for bitter sarcasm and abuse in the coming episodes.
  • edited November 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Hopefully Stinky will become a target for bitter sarcasm and abuse in the coming episodes.

They need a really good villain to do that kind of thing to.. or maybe just some dimwitted characters..
  • edited November 2007
    "We're freelance police. We save the world."

And to follow up on that sentence:

"Sometimes on purpose!"

They are, in the end, essentially good guys, but it's in the same way a character is still essentially good if he takes out a horde of terrorists and accidently takes out a few civilians in the process.

Or on purpose, with Sam & Max, that's a perfectly acceptable next step.

(Don't look at me like that, it's a cartoon world, the laws of morality are different there, and that's not even going into the perspectives of the characters we follow)

In their way, they are slightly amoral, and both have violence urges. Sam however has enough rationality to counteract so that he oftens makes him, and consequently us) look for a better way, and by some unimaginable token, Max restrains himself as well because of this, although does nothing more than shoot out insightful answers purely on whim and by accident.

So, in the greater ultimate end, they're good guys, they're just really kind of apathetic as to how they do it. Blowing up a tree to get the cat out of it is just as acceptable and more entertaining to the pair of them as going up and getting it, provided they can at least guarentee the cat will be more or less okay.
  • edited November 2007
    Dude, have you even freakin' played Ice Station Santa? Have you READ and UNDERSTOOD what I said?

Because if you had, you'd realize what nonsense your post is. Sam & Max are willing to save the world regardless of whether or not they're getting paid and being told what to do by some commissioner. They're willing to solve major problems WITHOUT killing people.

And furthermore, what I said is that they're nice on a GRAND scale. They're nice on a grand scale by solving problems (such as hypnotized soda poppers, hostage talk-show invitees, the entire freakin world being saved from hypnosis... again, the entire freakin' world being saved from evil Christmas presents. For God's sake, Peepers got TUBERCULOSIS!), even though they solve problems by being somewhat cruel to their buddies. Not even that cruel, really. What's the worst thing they've done to Sybil? It's the whole Abe Lincoln issue, and look how that resolved now... What's the worst thing they've done to Bosco? Punched him in the face and stolen a few inconsequential trinkets. Compare that to the hundred trillion dollars they gave him in Bright Side of the Moon... The soda poppers and Jimmy are really the only people they've ever been genuinely mean to in Season 1, barring a wide assortment of oddball villians.

Didn't Max said that he gave Sam Tuberculosis last year after Peeper's mentioned it?
  • MelMel
    edited November 2007
    Shouldn't this thread by spoiler labeled or at least have spoiler tags put into it? (I'm looking at Maratano's post that doom saber just quoted - not having read it very thoroughly the first time).
  • edited November 2007
    And to follow up on that sentence:

"Sometimes on purpose!"

They are, in the end, essentially good guys, but it's in the same way a character is still essentially good if he takes out a horde of terrorists and accidently takes out a few civilians in the process.

Or on purpose, with Sam & Max, that's a perfectly acceptable next step.

(Don't look at me like that, it's a cartoon world, the laws of morality are different there, and that's not even going into the perspectives of the characters we follow)

In their way, they are slightly amoral, and both have violence urges. Sam however has enough rationality to counteract so that he oftens makes him, and consequently us) look for a better way, and by some unimaginable token, Max restrains himself as well because of this, although does nothing more than shoot out insightful answers purely on whim and by accident.

So, in the greater ultimate end, they're good guys, they're just really kind of apathetic as to how they do it. Blowing up a tree to get the cat out of it is just as acceptable and more entertaining to the pair of them as going up and getting it, provided they can at least guarentee the cat will be more or less okay.

Yup. Haha. On target.

Hey, since peepers has tuberculosis, does that mean that episode 2 will contain his funeral? hopefully? please?:D
  • edited November 2007
    i think in the discussion if sam and max are "good guys" or not the ending of 201 is a well done example.
    they safed christmas, but also sent santa claus to hell. literally.
    i definitely see improvement in the fiels of sarcasm..
  • edited November 2007
    Yup. Haha. On target.

Hey, since peepers has tuberculosis, does that mean that episode 2 will contain his funeral? hopefully? please?:D

No. If they die, it'll probably be all at once, and anyway, Tuberculosis is treatable by antibiotics.
  • edited November 2007
    No. If they die, it'll probably be all at once, and anyway, Tuberculosis is treatable by antibiotics.

:( Oh yeah, forgot we're in the 21st century.

Well I still think they should kill the characters off in a fun way. Maybe even gory way.

Hey, you know what the street scene's missing? That pool of blood on the sidewalk in front of their office! I miss that pool of blood!
  • edited November 2007
    I foresee the end of Sam and Max as the result of a sudden and incredibly violent case of terminal *censored* tourrettes.
  • edited November 2007
    :( Oh yeah, forgot we're in the 21st century.

Well I still think they should kill the characters off in a fun way. Maybe even gory way.

Hey, you know what the street scene's missing? That pool of blood on the sidewalk in front of their office! I miss that pool of blood!
    But does Sam & Max take place in the 21st century?
  • edited November 2007
    There's references to Ebay and Youtube, so probably. Then again, there were vending machines in Monkey Island 1, which was supposed to be set in the 1800s.
  • edited November 2007
    Bah. Children. All of yous.
  • edited November 2007
    Demon. The friendly DEMON song, for pity's sake. How are demons "little-kid-like"?

Because they are mythical beings like unicorns, elves, and God. :)

Seriously, my daughter is 2 and loves watching the cartoons as much as I do. Sam & Max have many layers of humour so it can be enjoyed by different ages.
  • edited December 2007
    I watched a movie called Scrooged and it had ghosts in it, like Casper, that's just for little kids.
  • edited December 2007
    how do i kill h.linkon in the street?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    homing beacons are involved!
  • edited January 2008
    OK. Look. If Sam & Max were about things that were REAL, Season 1 would have been 0 episodes long.

And you cannot possibly tell me that 201 is for "little kids" with a straight face. Unless you're brain-damaged.

Perverted, dark reinterpretations of very cheery material is not "for little kids." Check out the ESRB rating for Alice if you disagree.
    I Hear That!!! realy even my dad plays it sometimes and likes it!! so don't be telling me its for "little kids"

oh if you like Lol cats watch this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt33u0GeAbg&feature=related
  • edited January 2008
    Anvilania wrote: »
    I Hear That!!! realy even my dad plays it sometimes and likes it!! so don't be telling me its for "little kids"

oh if you like Lol cats watch this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt33u0GeAbg&feature=related

This is a much better LOLCATS video. Some great lines in it. :D
  • edited January 2008
    New wardrobe for Sybil please: she's got a boyfriend after all.
  • edited January 2008
    Randulf wrote: »
    New wardrobe for Sybil please: she's got a boyfriend after all.
    That may have changed considering what happened between her and Abe on Easter Island with the Moai heads.
  • edited January 2008
    but, could be a reason for a new wardrobe nonetheless...or a new hairdo.
  • edited January 2008
    This is a much better LOLCATS video. Some great lines in it. :D
    Thats the one you said before. : |
    Sam & Max is to little-Kid-like
    and S&M isn't little-kid-like!!
    because there all mythical beings like unicorns, elves, and God
    God isn't a mythical being i should take a Midevil flail and bash you on the head darth__borehd!
  • edited January 2008
    Anvilania wrote: »
    Thats the one you said before. : |

What the... oh man, seriously.
    My memory is low, my hard drive's out of space.
  • edited January 2008
    What the... oh man, seriously.
    My memory is low, my hard drive's out of space.
    its no problum i just wanted you to know
  • edited January 2008
    [/Quote]
    God isn't a mythical being i should take a Midevil flail and bash you on the head darth__borehd![/QUOTE]

An invisible man that has to have faith to exist. I am pretty sure that could qualify as a mythical being.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    "*startes singing realy fast* United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Hatti, Jemaca, Peru, Republic Dominican, Cuba, Caribbean, Greenland, El Salvador too, Puerta Rico, Columbia, Venezuela, Handuras,Guiana and still, Guatamala, Bolivia, then Argentina,and Ecuador, Chili, Brazil, Costa Rica, Belize, Nicaragua, Bermuda, Bahamas, Tobago, San Juan, Paraguay, Uraguay, Surinam, and French Guiana, Barbados and Guam.~Yakko

Wow, does that come with meat or what?

Psst Scott, [ /quote] is only used to end a quote
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    This thread has steered off track quite a bit (if it was ever on track to begin with), so I'm closing it. No hard feelings.
This discussion has been closed.