Should Flint Paper smoke?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2007
    No, having Flint smoke sends a bad message to kids.

Good one...
  • edited November 2007
    Zeek wrote: »
    Flint-like? You mean able to strike a spark when it hits another rock?
    if by "another rock" you mean criminal face.

the issue boils down to the same thing that TV/film faces. There's some sort of mandate now that no protagonist can smoke onscreen unless harmfuls side effects are addressed or the rating gets bumped up.

The flipside is that pulp narratives and film noir draw a lot of their conventions from the 1950s, when everybody and their goldfish smoked. Having a character smoke, especially in those nihilist, brooding stories, really added to the atmosphere.

Personally I don't think it matter too much either way. As long as he's pummeling thugs, I'm happy.
  • edited November 2007
    film noir started in the 40s!
  • edited January 2008
    should flint paper smoke?
    answer:
    apparently yes
  • edited January 2008
    No, having Flint smoke sends a bad message to kids.
    So does Sam's
    "Let's get cracking !"
    :D
  • edited January 2008
    sam & max send bad messages to anybody anytime...that's why it's so funny..

..flint smoking and drinking huge amounts of coffee surely fits with the surveilance stuff, but he should also be beating someone up at least once per episode.
  • edited January 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    sam & max send bad messages to anybody anytime...that's why it's so funny..

..flint smoking and drinking huge amounts of coffee surely fits with the surveilance stuff, but he should also be beating someone up at least once per episode.

Maybe, Telltale should make a director's cut of season 2 by having a scene where Flint is beating up
    Bosco.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Man :(
  • edited January 2008
    Woman
  • edited January 2008
    Lagomorph
  • edited January 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    Maybe, Telltale should make a director's cut of season 2 by having a scene where Flint is beating up
    Bosco.
    that would be quite nasty, since he was hired by
    bosco's mom
    . on the other hand, the stuff he get's for christmas is just as bad..
  • edited January 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    that would be quite nasty, since he was hired by
    bosco's mom
    . on the other hand, the stuff he get's for christmas is just as bad..

Also, I wouldn't pass Flint to use police brutality even if he wasn't allowed too.
    Maybe Bosco's mom is pissed at Bos for diguising as her in season 1 and probably wants to get back at him. Probably Bosco imprisonated her at the bank or any other public place whereas someone actually mistaken Bosco as his mom. It could further explain why Bosco stopped with the disguised and became more paranoid in season 2.

Oh yeah. That reminds me, thanks. I forgot that Bosco was scared of receiving a bomb. Was he expectin it from his mom? If so, I wonder if this will be a runnin gag in season 2 where Bosco talks about his mom one way or another. I wouldn't be suprised if we see his mom in season 2. I can imagine a modified polygon model of Bosco as his mom
  • edited January 2008
    In fact, Bosco's mom sends him a bomb every year. No wonder he's paranoid...
  • edited January 2008
    There is no way Flint should smoke all that alclahol would kill him thus never seeing him in later seasons and episodes
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2008
    Why not?
    Remember, worst things happened to some characters and, unfortunately, some of then didn't die.
    Specs got hit by a bowling bowl in the head. In real life his skull would have cracked and at least ended with severe brain damage

Also, its cartoon-ey and fun.
  • edited January 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Specs got hit by a bowling bowl in the head. In real life his skull would have cracked and at least ended with severe brain damage
    why did you put this in spoiler tags? so you don't ruin the fun if someone wants to try this at home?:eek:
  • edited January 2008
    You have a point about the bowiling ball but he shouldn't smoke still
  • edited January 2008
    When I first saw him in season 2, I actually expected to eventually see him with a cigerettte or cigar in his mouth. He just seemed like that kind of guy who would smoke. Or to me he did at least 0_0

To answer the question: I don't see why not. I think that it would add to the vague noir feeling and to his character. I mean, come on, Smiley Bone is shown with a cigar in his mouth in the Bone games and (as far as I know; I've only played the "Out of Boneville" demo) the Sam and Max games are more grotesque and violent than Bone is.
  • edited January 2008
    I find this a bit funny, seeing how this is a game aimed for older gamers. I mean, this is a game where the characters cuss, kill, and beat each other up. All those seems to be overlooked by some of you guys, but if a character smokes, those very same people makes an uproar, claiming that the notion will give children the wrong idea.

Although, I am no smoker, I think there are worse things in the game for children to imitate. For instance, Max throwing Jimmy off a second story roof.

For those who do not want Flint to smoke in fear it would give children a wrong message, should be concern with the severe actions Sam and Max do.

But really, Sam and Max are not intended to be role models for kids despite being talking anthropmorphic animals.....
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Fortunately he's seen at a table loaded with cigarettes he's recently crumpled into the ashtray, so the point's moot anyway!
  • edited January 2008
    maybe the ashtray was already full when he got there...and he is refilling it to keep stinky busy.
    smoking can be bad for your health. remember that, kids.
    violence isn't. at least if you stick to the motto: giving is better than taking..or something.:D
    no, i don't think flint really is a role model. if children would play s&m they would rather look up to the two main characters. and btw, i've seen worse characters on jerry springer...
  • edited January 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Fortunately he's seen at a table loaded with cigarettes he's recently crumpled into the ashtray, so the point's moot anyway!

Yeah! I was amazed to find no-one seemed to have noticed that little detail, especially since Sam is making a remark about it when you click the ashtray.
    I think Flint Paper should smoke, just as Sam & Max should do all that zany and non-rolemodelly stuff that they do.
    Just because they are cute and fluffy animals doesn't mean they are just for kids.
    Take the mighty grizzlybear for example. Sure, as a teddybear he looks cute and harmless, but don't let it fool you! Them bears are fu**ing dangerous, and crazy to boot!
    Also is the Hippo!

Sam & Max are film noir. They are tough crimefighters, with a couple of screws loose. Don't let their comical appearance fool you!

Now, where did I put that cigarette?:cool:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.