Episode 2 wont launch, please help.

edited July 2008 in Game Support
Ive installed episode 2 but when I go to launch it, it gives me this error message
"The procedure entry point RtlCaptureContext could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.Dll"
How do I fix this?

Comments

• edited January 2008
    I appear to have the same problem as well.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    I'm checking with our tech guys.
  • edited January 2008
    I have windows 2000 if that makes a difference but episode 1 ran on win2k so no reason why episode 2 wouldnt.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    How far in do you get? Were you able to see the game launcher, and then it crashed when you clicked "launch game," or did it crash even before the launcher showed up?
  • edited January 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    How far in do you get? Were you able to see the game launcher, and then it crashed when you clicked "launch game," or did it crash even before the launcher showed up?

I got the error right after double clicking the shortcut or the .exe

EDIT:
    In other words, it crash before the launcher showed up.
  • edited January 2008
    i cant even get the game launcher
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    We haven't tested the games under win2k (it's not a supported platform), so that could very well be the problem. There have been changes between Ep1 and Ep2 that might effect win2k compatibility, even though they didn't cause any problems under XP or Vista. We simply don't have the resources to test and address issues related to win2k.
  • edited January 2008
    Yes, after some reseach I found out that RtlCaptureContext function is only available for the Kernel32.dll in Window XP or Vista, is there any way the program can skip that bit?
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680591(VS.85).aspx
  • edited January 2008
    unless you download the kernel32 from xp or something ?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Hi guys,

If you only have access to Windows 2000 machines, email support about the situation and we can refund your orders.
  • edited January 2008
    Never mind, looks like I will have to get WinXP then, thanks for the help!
  • edited January 2008
    nevermind, looks like ill have to get windows xp too, if I cant find a workaround. There is a windows xp machine in the house so maybe I can extract the file i need to a floppy disk.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Wow hey guys... just for what it's worth, we assume no responsibility if you try and copy kernel32.dll from XP and drop it on your windows 2000 machine. In fact we strongly recommend against it. That could have wild and unforseen (and computer-crashing) consequences. Also, it probably won't fix your problem!
  • edited January 2008
    Since RtlCaptureContext is part of the SEH functionality, it is likely it is never actually called during normal operation, so you might as well remove it from the import table. I have attached a patch that does just that; give it a try.

Funny to see though, that people will rather install a different operating system than cancel their order and not be able to play Sam & Max. :)
    Jake wrote: »
    Wow hey guys... just for what it's worth, we assume no responsibility if you try and copy kernel32.dll from XP and drop it on your windows 2000 machine. In fact we strongly recommend against it. That could have wild and unforseen (and computer-crashing) consequences. Also, it probably won't fix your problem!
    Jake is absolutely right. Not only will this not work, it will likely render your computer unbootable. The best thing that might happen is that Windows restores the file automatically, in which case you'd be back where you started.
  • edited January 2008
    Soultaker wrote: »
    Since RtlCaptureContext is part of the SEH functionality, it is likely it is never actually called during normal operation, so you might as well remove it from the import table. I have attached a patch that does just that; give it a try.

Funny to see though, that people will rather install a different operating system than cancel their order and not be able to play Sam & Max. :)

Jake is absolutely right. Not only will this not work, it will likely render your computer unbootable. The best thing that might happen is that Windows restores the file automatically, in which case you'd be back where you started.
    I would rather throw out some cash than say no to Sam and Max, all thanks to the team at Telltale and Lucas Art.

Thanks, that seems to have did the trick, still, looks like I will really need to upgrade my OS, the world of gaming is overtaking me.
  • edited January 2008
    wow thnaks the patch works, although im thinking of upgrading to xp anyway becasue getting too many problems nowadays with windows 2k.
  • edited January 2008
    Sorry guys, we can't have third party patches floating around. It's a liability to us :(
  • edited January 2008
    It's really sad that so many games are becoming incompatible with Win2k for no good reason. In many cases, it's because of some compiler setting that causes the game to be built expecting certain functions to be present in other DLLs, even if the functionality is never used and the function is never called. This is pretty much all Microsoft's fault, and it's within the realm of possibility that they are releasing SDKs on purpose that cause these incompatibilities to occur, taking advantage of overworked game programmers who don't have time to test for Win2k compatibility.

In fact, there have been cases where I could hack up the symbol table in a DLL (such as the XInput DLLs) so that the correct function name could be imported from the DLL (one present in XP's version but not Win2k's version). The hack would have led to a crash if the function were ever called, but the games run fine, so obviously the incompatibilities in those cases are completely artificial.

Normally, I would, er, adjust things on my own to get this game working on my desktop Win2k machine, but when playing on GameTap, I can't do things that modify Sam & Max game files since they're on an encrypted volume.

Anyway, since it appears that the problem here is similar to the problems I've had in the past where a slight change to the build settings can fix things for all us Luddite Win2kers, I'm really hoping that Telltale will throw us a bone here and release an update, even though Win2k isn't officially supported :D
  • edited January 2008
    Dachannien wrote: »
    I'm really hoping that Telltale will throw us a bone here and release an update, even though Win2k isn't officially supported :D

I'll second that.

What's even more galling is that the slightly buggy version of Episode 2 that went out briefly on GameTap worked just fine on Win2K.

I got a couple of hours of gameplay in, had to leave it, and when I came back to it, GameTap forcibly updated it, and now I can't play.

Irritating. Oh well, I guess it means I have more time to devote to the 1001 things I *should* be doing instead of playing Sam and Max! ;)
  • edited January 2008
    Bah! How about a Linux version, then, for those of us who don't want to buy into systems that report our activities back to T H E M (err... Microsoft)?
  • edited January 2008
    I haven't tried it myself, but people had good experiences running all episodes of season 1 under Wine. See http://appdb.winehq.org/

Unfortunately, episode 201 doesn't seem to work as of yet.
  • edited January 2008
    No, sadly we can't get past the login thinga-ma-bob. It's a pity, since i know the game works quite well under Wine... :/ Actually, it has kept me from playing the new episodes at all. I could play Season 1 just fine using Wine. But it's not a complaint as such. I know it's not supported, it was just a nice treat that Season 1 worked brilliantly with Wine. :) I guess i'll have to keep XP for dualboot.

Oh, or get it for Wii! Yeeehaw!
  • edited January 2008
    Yeah, I found that custom launcher prevented the free download of Episode 4 from working under WINE. Oh well, can't have everything.
  • edited January 2008
    Getting the same problem.. damnit, I don't wanna have to use the laptop -_-

I'll have to find a workaround.
  • edited January 2008
    Kevin wrote: »
    We haven't tested the games under win2k (it's not a supported platform), so that could very well be the problem.

NOOOOOOOo.

Okay folks, I asked some time ago (http://telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3908) and the demo worked for episode one. I tested the demo and bought the whole season (as a real fan I guess you have to do that :p)

Is there any chance I can get the money for the outstanding episodes and the 2nd back?

If yes, I'll buy the DVD version and until then will look if I can come to the decision to upgrade my Win 2k... Unforunately my laptop (IBM ThinkPad T22) doesn't have a 3d graphics card, but Windows XP.

This is a sad day for me! I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms!! :(
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Hey Kek, send an email to support@telltalegames.com and we will take care of it.
  • edited January 2008
    I have the exact same problem. It is really sad because every other episode has worked great on my computer including episode 1 from season 2. I guess I will have to ask for a refund because win2k is all I have at the moment. :(
  • edited January 2008
    It is possible (and fairly easy) to make the game work on Windows 2000, but it invovles modifying the executable. I'm not sure what TellTale's policy is on instructions for doing that, or patches and whatnot.
  • edited January 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Hey Kek, send an email to support@telltalegames.com and we will take care of it.

Okay, thanks. Someone from this post PMed me about that issue, and I'll see if I can get it running. If not, I'll contact you. I hope that is okay for you :confused:
  • edited January 2008

Don't try this, it does not work. Computer won't boot after that. If someone already has done this, it is possible to recover W2k only by replacing the false kernel32.dll with the original one.
  • edited January 2008
    Boscofan wrote: »
    Don't try this, it does not work. Computer won't boot after that. If someone already has done this, it is possible to recover W2k only by replacing the false kernel32.dll with the original one.
    Sounds like you tried? ;-)
  • edited January 2008
    Sounds like you tried? ;-)

Yepp!! Got my system back together by booting Ubuntu from a CD and replacing kernel32.dll there.
  • edited February 2008
    I would think that the safest way of getting it to work on Windows 2000 is by modifying the executable, or getting a patch from someone. It is entirely possible to get it to work under Windows 2000, but it requires either getting your hands on some sort of behind-the-counter patch, or some work in a hex editor. :p
  • edited February 2008
    soo... what are the chances that either there will be an "official" patch to fix this problem, or that it will not be an issue in episode three? I've played all the games so far except for 202 and wouldn't be too angry at only having to skip one... If its just a matter of compiler options it shouldn't be that hard.

On a different note, I'd upgrade to XP, but I like fiddle with my hardware configuration too much, and if I had XP I'd end up calling microsoft several times a year to re-activate. It's a shame microsoft goes to such lengths to make things incompatible with Windows 2000, even though it's so similar to xp.
  • edited February 2008
    Yes, episode 3 has the same issue, which seems to indicate that the rest of season 2 will have the same issue. The good news is that the same fix that worked on Episode 2, works on Episode 3.
  • edited February 2008
    Really good news! :) I luckily saved it to hard drive ;)
  • edited February 2008
    I'm not sure what the fix/patch/hack that was posted on the forums here was, but if it was a modified .exe, it won't work with ep. 3.
  • edited February 2008
    It doesn't work. You got a PM :(
  • edited February 2008
    And replied, good luck. :)
  • edited March 2008
    Rulzern wrote: »
    Yes, episode 3 has the same issue, which seems to indicate that the rest of season 2 will have the same issue. The good news is that the same fix that worked on Episode 2, works on Episode 3.

Hi

I am having the same problem, can you help me ?

:confused:
This discussion has been closed.