Episode 2 wont launch, please help.

2»

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Replied to your PM. Only a few hours (hopefully) until we find out if this works on 204 as well.
  • edited March 2008
    I am installing 204 right now, I will reply if it still have the problem and does the same way of fixing it works.

EDIT
    Yep, seems that the problem is still here, but lucky you can still fix it using the same method.
  • edited March 2008
    Hey everyone, I'm having the same problem with episodes 2-4, but it sounds like you've figured out a way to fix it

Any chance of a PM with instructions, please?

Thanks
  • edited April 2008
    I hate to be a "me too"-er,. but I have the same problem on win2k.
    Is there any chance any one could PM me with some instructions as well? I know how to work a hex editor. I will need to find one (I haven't played with hex editors in a long time) but surely there is a free or demo one i can find.
  • edited April 2008
    Hey TellTale, what if someone were to post the wink2k fixing instructions, and then you follow up with a reply that says "we don't support that, and we don't recommend it." but still leave the instructions on the forum. Would that be allowed?
  • edited April 2008
    I figured it out on my own. So there's no need to PM me with instructions. I found a free hex editor and I just searched for any instances of "RtlCaptureContext" (there were only two) and I replaced that text with something else from the list that had the same number of characters, like "IsDebuggerPresent". I don't know if thats the best way to do it, or if it will cause any other problems down the road, but it seems to work for me so far. At least I was smart enough to make a backup copy of the file first, so I can always revert back to that if i need to.

Thanks for the idea guys.
  • edited May 2008
    Since Polecat's post has been here for almost a week now without being removed, I guess it's considered to be ok to post the instructions for how to modify the executable, so here's the instructions I sent to the people who asked me about it:
    Here's the PM I sent to a couple of other users asking the same thing, this works on both 202 and 203. If you want a patch or something, let me know and I'll look into it.

First of all, download XVI32 and install it, then follow these steps.

-Make a backup of SamMax202.exe, if you don't know where it is, use Start -> Search to find it. If something goes wrong while editing the executable, delete the original file, replace it with the backup, and make a new backup.
    -Open SamMax202.exe in XVI32.
    -In XVI32, go to Search -> Find -> Text string -> "RtlCaptureContext".
    -Replace both instances of RtlCaptureContext with "GetLocaleInfoA", you have to set the remaining bytes to "00" in hex (the left-hand side of the screen in XVI). You should end up with: "47 65 74 4C 6F 63 61 6C 65 49 6E 66 6F 41 00 00 00 00 58 01" starting at "G" in "GetLocaleInfoA".
    -Make sure that BOTH of the RtlCaptureContext entries are replaced.
    -Try to run the game.

Good luck!

If this is too explicit, I'm sorry Emily, feel free to remove it. :p
  • edited May 2008
    Actually, you only need to replace the second occurrence.
  • edited July 2008
    Thank you very much, I have Win 2K too and the same problem.

Funny that the European DVD version of all the first season and the demo (from the DVD video) of 201 didn't had ANY installation problem on Win2K! :)
This discussion has been closed.