Sam and Max urban vinyl figures and statues being made!!?

edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
I was on the front page of action-figures.com (while sharpening my pencil to study for Ochem) and was am quite suprised to see an article that says Sam and Max vinyl figures and statues were being made by Symbiote Studios. There are also concept art of one of the upcomming statues.

For those who are lazy to search for the article on the site above, here is the url of the article: http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22572

I never heard of them, but I think it is a swell thing that Steve Purcell's characters are finally in solid form.

I wonder if it is possible that Telltale games can aquire some sort of exclusives (whether it be a repaint or a retooled) statue/figure to sell at the telltale site.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    oh yay Sam & Max action figures :D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Wow, crazy news!

they've posted some concept art, too (click for an additional image)
    2.jpg

more info here, in the Symbiote Studios blog. check out the rest of the blog for (one or two) other examples of their work
  • edited January 2008
    LOL and I thought I was the only one who was pulling an all nighter, though splash1 could be from another time zone.

Was Telltale games aware of symbiote studios getting the license?
  • edited January 2008
    Woo Hoo Yes.. Hell Yes!! Exactly what I wanted.. I just hope its really good quality I don't care about the price
  • edited January 2008
    I wonder how bizarre the urban figures will turn out. For those who do not know, urban vinyls orginated in Hong Kong and are "underground" figures that are done in the style of urban music(hip hop) and graffiti.

They have been quite popular in the states for the past couple of years, whereas toy companies like Hasbro use this style to make Urban vinyls of Star Wars (I think they were the company that are doin the SW vinyls.)

Speaking of urban vinyls, has anyone ever customized a blank Dunny into MAx or a Munny into Bone?

dunnyBox.jpg

Hmmm, I think I should get a munny or a dunny and customize it.

http://www.kidrobot.com/html/dunny2/about.html

LOL Talkin about vinyl figs made me order a Munny fig just now
  • edited January 2008
    doom saber wrote: »
    I was on the front page of action-figures.com (while sharpening my pencil to study for Ochem) and was am quite suprised to see an article that says Sam and Max vinyl figures and statues were being made by Symbiote Studios. There are also concept art of one of the upcomming statues.

For those who are lazy to search for the article on the site above, here is the url of the article: http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22572

I never heard of them, but I think it is a swell thing that Steve Purcell's characters are finally in solid form.

I wonder if it is possible that Telltale games can aquire some sort of exclusives (whether it be a repaint or a retooled) statue/figure to sell at the telltale site.
    Guess we'll be getting Sam, Max, Sybil, Stinky, Bosco, and Jimmy figures, and a Mr. Spatula statue!
  • edited January 2008
    Guess we'll be getting Sam, Max, Sybil, Stinky, Bosco, and Jimmy figures, and a Mr. Spatula statue!

But aren't those characters (with the exception of Sam and Max) owned by Telltale? Not sure if the license covers the TT series, though it would be cool to get.

I can see them doing a Salmon Mac and a Flint figure, though they probably have to advertise the toy with his full name, Flint paper, so as not to infringe on Hasbro's copyright since they own the name "Flint", which is used for their Gi Joe line. YO joe!
    edited January 2008

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg
  • edited January 2008
    Whoa, that's awesome! I love those sketches. Hey, is there any chance those could be sold in the Telltale store once they're being made, or would that be logistically or legally impossible?
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

Oh... great movie, btw

So.... jumping up and down the carpet.... new store items!! "Yes!"

Oh... case file #2!!! "Maybe"

Woo! "Think Again".... crud!
  • edited February 2008
    That's the second time I've seen Jake use that "jump to conclusions" joke. I bet Telltale is working on an Office Space game!
  • edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Oh... great movie, btw

So.... jumping up and down the carpet.... new store items!! "Yes!"

Oh... case file #2!!! "Maybe"

Woo! "Think Again".... crud!

I got a resounding "yes" for "Sam and Max confirmed for Brawl"... I think the mat is broken :p
    edited February 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    That's the second time I've seen Jake use that "jump to conclusions" joke. I bet Telltale is working on an Office Space game!

Nah, I just like the jump to conclusions mat.
  • edited February 2008
    This....is.....amazing.

The concept art is perfect.
  • edited February 2008
    I hope they get to doing Steves desoto like he wanted.. I think that would be friggen awesome.
  • edited February 2008
    they work with the sculptor who does the hellboy action figures..and they are awesome..this could turn out very well
  • edited February 2008
    Amazing concept art...Looking forward to the final product :D
  • edited February 2008
    Awesome. Any idea when it comes out?
  • edited February 2008
    Nah, I just like the jump to conclusions mat.

I would have liked it if it weren't for that loose spelling of lose.
  • edited February 2008
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I would have liked it if it weren't for that loose spelling of lose.

That got on my nerves as well... I'm fairly nitpicky when it comes to spelling and grammar on printed physical products.
  • EeKEeK
    edited February 2008
    This is so, so cool.

I really hope those vinyl figures end up at the TT Store, 'cause, if they do, I'm gonna buy them all. BUY THEM ALL TO HELL.

P.S.: I'd buy the statue, too, but shipping costs for that would bankrupt me.
  • edited February 2008
    Finally! I've been dying to have some 3d sam & max memorabilia sitting on my desk, inspiring me daily. Couldn't be happier to dish out whatever money it's gonna cost, too.

I recall seeing Steve drawing a concept for another statue, Sam & Max standing at the steps of their building...anyone recall?

Man I'd love a couple of Sam&Max bookends, too. Been thinking about making them. Wish I had more time.
  • edited February 2008
    As for the figures... They'll obviously have Sam and Max, and maybe the Desoto, but other than that... I can't see them making any Characters from the games due to copyright unless they appeared in the comics. I can't really see them making a big line either which is fine by me because I don't want to have to collect them all.

It would be nice one day to have the Charaters from the TT games in maybe a mini PVC form. (I think PVC is the correct term)
    edited February 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    As for the figures... They'll obviously have Sam and Max, and maybe the Desoto, but other than that... I can't see them making any Characters from the games due to copyright unless they appeared in the comics. I can't really see them making a big line either which is fine by me because I don't want to have to collect them all.

It would be nice one day to have the Charaters from the TT games in maybe a mini PVC form. (I think PVC is the correct term)

Did you not see the Jump to Conclusions mat earlier in this thread? I would love to have figurines of basically every character Sam & Max have come across, but the only real "obvious" piece we might conceivably see in the near future is the one depicted on that Purcell-drawn concept art. Keep your fingers crossed that this works out - Sam & Max statues/figurines have been absent from the world for far too long - but in the mean time, it's never good to wind yourself up into a crazy speculative fervor when we only really have half a page of information and a sketch to go by. :)
  • edited February 2008
    Hopefully it doesn't take too long for these to be made. I'm not sure on how long it takes to produce figures, but who knows, we could be waiting until Christmas.
  • edited February 2008
    you might be right about that, since we have only seen sketch artwork yet. sculpting and producing enough copies may take another few months, probably depending on the amount of detail the actual figure will have.
    btw, i still don't get what's so urban about the sam&max statue. is urban vinyl referring to how many of these are produced. or is every figurine that is not a kids toy called urban to make it sound cool?
    edited February 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    btw, i still don't get what's so urban about the sam&max statue. is urban vinyl referring to how many of these are produced. or is every figurine that is not a kids toy called urban to make it sound cool?

That title may be a slight misnomer, but I think the implication is that they're sort of designer items versus a mass produced toy. That said, who knows what's actually going on with this stuff? Here's urban vinyl at wikipedia.
  • edited February 2008
    That got on my nerves as well... I'm fairly nitpicky when it comes to spelling and grammar on printed physical products.

Then you guys missed the point.:p
  • edited February 2008
    That title may be a slight misnomer, but I think the implication is that they're sort of designer items versus a mass produced toy. That said, who knows what's actually going on with this stuff? Here's urban vinyl at wikipedia.

From what I understand, Urban vinyl is named such since the toys were produced by ppl with hiphop and graffiti as an inspiration. I mean, the designs of urban figures have proportions of humans drawn on the side of a public wall. Imagine the character design band "Gorillaz" or character designs in JetGrind/Set Radio; that is Graffiti style. Furthermore. some figures would have graffiti words drawn all over them.

Nowadays, Urban Vinyls seems to be mainstream with Hasbro producing mass retail versions of Star wars and Marvel characters in vinyl under the "mighty Muggs" brand.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    So when is Bosco gonna be done? I wan't bosco cause hes funny.
    xChri5x wrote: »
    They'll obviously have Sam and Max, and maybe the Desoto

OOO I can't wait for the desoto one! When are the max plushies available!?
  • edited February 2008
    NickTTG wrote: »
    So when is Bosco gonna be done? I wan't bosco cause hes funny.

OOO I can't wait for the desoto one! When are the max plushies available!?

And the Sam plushies!? :p
  • edited February 2008
    Although, the news is awsome and all, I begin to wonder how the urban vinyl figs will end up looking since I assume they won't look just like the normal designs since urban vinyls tend to look artisticlly different.

Also, I think this license only covers statues and vinyls. hopefully, another company will produce plushies.
  • edited February 2008
    http://www.symbiotestudios.com/blog/?p=49

I was reading the comments there, and someone who I assume works at Symiote Studios says there will be less than 500 statues made. This makes me sad. I really hope the figures won't be limited.
    J Says:

February 3rd, 2008 at 4:01 pm
    All our products are extremely limited edition. I would expect the first statue to be 500 pieces or less. So when they go up for pre-order, I would jump on it.
    J Says:

February 10th, 2008 at 4:30 am
    The sketch is the actual design we are working on. It was drawn by Steve Purcell and will be our launching point. It will be out in 2008 and be limited to under 500 made world wide.
  • edited February 2008
    holy crud less than 500?? that cant be good. So how do we actually get one if we are insane? and why only make 500 sheesh, you know that would sell way more..

As for the desoto, steve told me himself a while back he would love to see a desoto hard figure.
  • edited February 2008
    Kaldire wrote: »
    holy crud less than 500?? that cant be good. So how do we actually get one if we are insane? and why only make 500 sheesh, you know that would sell way more..

As for the desoto, steve told me himself a while back he would love to see a desoto hard figure.

Believe or not, that number seems right. I mean, 500 isn't as limited as one would think for statues. It just that not a lot of ppl buy statues, especially because they cost around 40-200, depending on big they are. I think DC and Marvel statues are made around 500-1000.
  • edited February 2008
    500 statues.. they will sell out in a couple of days for sure.. I hope they give us fair warning for when they will be available for pre-order
  • edited February 2008
    So... wait... how big are these statues going to be? Price?
  • edited February 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »
    500 statues.. they will sell out in a couple of days for sure.. I hope they give us fair warning for when they will be available for pre-order

I somewhat disagree since statues tend to not sell as well when compared to mass retail action figures. I mean, even though there seems to be a lot of Sam and Max fans in this forum, there are probably 30 of us who are willing to buy the statues. Other than us, I am not so sure how many Sam and MAx fans out there who are willing to dish out 40-200 dollars for a statue. Also, Sam and Max is not as popular as characters like Wonder Woman and Batman, and I think they have statues in the 800-1000 range.

Also, it is possible that they might make another run of the same statues if they do sell like Hotcakes. I mean, when a new company gets a new license, they tend to make less of a product to test the waters, especially because they are somewhat new in selling whatever they are selling. If Sam and Max were as popular as Micky Mouse and the company who are making the S&M statues are more experienced, I am sure they would make more.

so in the future they can make more, less, or the same amount.
  • edited February 2008
    I'm certainly looking forward to more information about sizes and pricing.
  • edited February 2008
    Same thing. The concept art is pretty cool, I could definitely have that sort of a statue hanging around.

BTW Jake/Emily, in my opinion the telltale newsletter could encapsulate these kind of 3rd party tidbits too. That is if in addition to advertising your products you want to provide your beloved fans with the fan info they also very much appreciate. :)

But that's just me. It would be great if I didn't miss the release of this statue for example by reading the Telltale newsletter.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.