Playable Max

edited October 2008 in Sam & Max
you know what would be great? being able to play as Max...after all you gotta have to play someone who can attack suspects!

Comments

• mremre
    edited February 2008
    You can't control Max. Period.
  • edited February 2008
    that would be neat, or even better you could control them seperatly.

There are a number of adventure games where you can control more than one player, think day of the tenticle or gabriel knight, maybe we could have an episode where sam and max get seperated and you control each of them individualy to try to re-unite them again.

I know that they work well as a comedy pairing so maybe sperating them could be considered a risky move, but it would be a nice new twist to the series if just one episode featured something like this. wouldn't even need to be for a long time, just to test the waters and see if folks buy into it.

it would raise the potential for more complex puzzles as there may be certain things only max could access which sam could not, and vice versa.
  • edited February 2008
    It would be great if you controlled Max for an entire episode..just to change things up a little
  • edited February 2008
    mindless wrote: »
    ..think day of the tenticle or...

Interesting game...

Edit: omg.. I got it totally wrong.. It had letter s..
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Lol!!!! Buuga.... :)

I think Max would not let you control him.
    Maybe you can suggest things to do, but it's up to him to perform your suggestion, or not, or more likely, Max will do something completely different.
  • edited February 2008
    mindless wrote: »
    maybe we could have an episode where sam and max get seperated and you control each of them individualy

*thinks of how many times max has had his own ideas on how to deal with something, but didn't do them purely because of sam*
  • edited February 2008
    yes you're probaly right, if you pulled out his gun and pointed it at someone he'd probaly shoot them or Sam would say...Max no shooting anyone until further times but i mean you could still use him in certain puzzles or just to make the fans happy
  • edited February 2008
    I think being able to control Max would ruin the mystique of the duo. It's much nicer occasionally having Sam say, "Sic 'im little buddy." and watching hijinx ensue.
  • edited February 2008
    But how many times have we actually seen that (and had it be violent) in Season 1-2? Unlike in HtR, where we had the intro, the phone fight (which was only implied througout Season 1), the brawl at Gator Golf, and the hillarity that ensues when the alarm is set off at Bumpusville.
  • edited February 2008
    you're so right, the only time we've ever seen Sam say "sic em little buddy"
    was in
    The Mole the Mob & the Meatball
  • edited February 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    you're so right, the only time we've ever seen Sam say "sic em little buddy"
    was in
    The Mole the Mob & the Meatball
    To be exact, that was the only time we heard him say that. The only time we saw him say it was in
    the "Night of the Raving Dead" trailer
    . ;)
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    playable max would be ridiculous! it could never happen...
  • edited February 2008
    and why not Nick? because you're ploting for Max to be the new enemy?!
    edited February 2008
    I just can't imagine a world where you can control a fake rabbit. my mind can't even begin to fathom the implications.
  • edited February 2008
    suuurreee Nick...you just don't want to admit that Max in the new villan!
    edited February 2008
    that's true splash1. you're right man
  • edited February 2008
    I'd quite like Nick as a playable character.
  • edited February 2008
    shurlogg wrote: »
    To be exact, that was the only time we heard him say that. The only time we saw him say it was in
    the "Night of the Raving Dead" trailer
    . ;)

Actually, we do see Sam say it in that episode.

On topic: I think it would be interesting to be able to play as Max, but only in moderation. To me it's more fun to watch him follow you around and do his random, child-like eccentric actions.
    edited February 2008
    I'd quite like Nick as a playable character.

playing as me isn't actually as fun as it sounds. Especially when you have to play the part when you don't have money in the bank and have to eat taco bell everyday.

Also, I always lose the boss fights. Fighting with your boss is never a fun battle. And I don't have the goggles that highlight my opponents weak points and I can't take an hour to chose that perfect line of dialog.

Its like GTA, except I'm the guy who gets thrown out of the car and onto the pavement.
  • edited February 2008
    the problem is we can't "use max" and we can't "play max" so we are losing some opportunity there..if all max does is deliver the punchline to every piece of dialogue we lose some of his character and our involvement/interactions with him..it is a duo remember
  • edited February 2008
    NickTTG wrote: »
    Its like GTA, except I'm the guy who gets thrown out of the car and onto the pavement.

I could totally see that happening.
  • edited February 2008
    Make Max as usable object in the inventory
    edited February 2008
    Make Max as usable object in the inventory

go play 101 again
  • edited February 2008
    um i don't remember Max being in the inventory in 101
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2008
    Someone lost his head...

And If I'm being too subtle (never happened before)
    Gee, if that thing wasn't normally attached by the neck... it would drift away.
    And if that happens, there is only one way to fix that, .... re-attach the head :)

And if that doesn't help, maybe you're playing the wrong games, pal!
    (I'm joking, am I???)
    Remember when you were purging Brady Culture from Sam's mind.
    Remember Max's head.... ding! ding! ding! Max as a usable object in the inventory
    edited February 2008
    splash1 wrote: »
    um i don't remember Max being in the inventory in 101

durrr....
  • edited February 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Remember when you were purging Brady Culture from Sam's mind.
    Remember Max's head.... ding! ding! ding! Max as a usable object in the inventory

oh yeah but you can only use Max for 1 thing
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Still, that's all you need, right? Check that sucker off the list!
  • edited February 2008
    Thats acculy a good idea!!!
    edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »

i laughed too hard at this haha
  • edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    huh? i don't get it :confused:
    edited February 2008
    shhhh shhh shh...
  • edited February 2008
    huh? Nick whatcha talkin bout?
  • edited February 2008
    Hehe! Childish Nick! :D
  • edited February 2008
    for added realism he goes to the opposite point you click
  • edited February 2008
    Best game I recall where you had more characters was Gobliins 2 from Sierra. Great hard adventure puzzle game. Sometimes didn't make sense, but was cool to have one character distract someone while the other steals something, or one activating something and the other using something across the screen at the same time.
    This does however require a deal of precision and timing at times, and could be fun, I just couldn't see it work in Sam & Max. For one. Max isn't like Winkle, seem to have a few more braincells and more lust for violence. Also in Gobliins you had the entire screen visible. I've several times had trouble clicking something in S&M while moving the screen, and this would just make any sequence like this even more horrible.

I do however like the conversations where you can speak as max... like when interrogating jimmy or trying to make someone cry. Wish there were a selection of Max quotes for all dialogs in the game. Not nescesarily deep ones or many of them, but just a way to bother people in general.
  • edited February 2008
    Not to spoil anything.. but you can play as Max at one point.. :)
  • edited February 2008
    James-Kond wrote: »
    Not to spoil anything.. but you can play as Max at one point.. :)

HOLY FLIPPIN' FLAT BREAD! Use spoiler tags, man! :D
  • edited February 2008
    Damn! I saw it before it was tagged! You should've kept it as a secret anyway. That way we'd be slapping ourselves afterwards for arguing about this! :)
  • edited February 2008
    oh.. sorry.. how the
    poo
    do i use spoiler tags anyways :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.